Thread: Original TV Broadcasts of Super Bowls IX, X, XIII, and XIV

Junior Member Array title="hamnlambchop88 is an unknown quantity at this point"> hamnlambchop88's Avatar

Original TV Broadcasts of Super Bowls IX, X, XIII, and XIV

A YouTube user has posted the original broadcasts of the Steelers' first four Super Bowl wins in their entireties.

The video quality is not that great, but I would recommend these videos to anyone, like me, who was born too late to see the Steelers play in these games and has the time to watch them.

Each broadcast is split into roughly ten-minute segments.

Super Bowl IX (Steelers vs. Vikings - part 1 of 18) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICBypK_s6L0
    Super Bowl X (Steelers vs. Cowboys - part 1 of 19) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i48K4...eature=related
    Super Bowl XIII (Steelers vs. Cowboys - part 1 of 23) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Ckc...eature=related
    Super Bowl XIV (Steelers vs. Rams - part 1 of 16) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2zs7...eature=related

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Re: Original TV Broadcasts of Super Bowls IX, X, XIII, and XIV

Superbowl iX wasn't that exciting, but the rest of them are some of the most entertaining Superbowls ever played...especially the two against Roger and the Cowboys

Junior Member Array title="hamnlambchop88 is an unknown quantity at this point"> hamnlambchop88's Avatar

Yeah. Super Bowl X is one of my favorite games of all time and the reason that Jack Lambert is my favorite all-time Steeler.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

SB XIV against the Rams is very underrated and entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    Superbowl iX wasn't that exciting, but the rest of them are some of the most entertaining Superbowls ever played...especially the two against Roger and the Cowboys

Senior Member Array title="Akagi is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    SB XIV against the Rams is very underrated and entertaining.
    I have that entire game radio broadcast, with Cope & Fleming, on reel-to-reel tape. Great game.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Great find! Thanks for the link.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Ahh man, how awesome is this? Thanks so much dude, I can't wait to IX and X.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Watched IX. Never got to watch the Steel Curtain in a full game until today. Thanks for posting the link!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Chidi, they have some Steelers stuff on Hulu (as well as other NFL stuff). Also, all 6 Super Bowls are available on DVD. I got the 5 Super Bowl set and then they released the 6th Super Bowl as its own (with the playoffs, AFCC game included)

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Awesome, awesome, awesome. Watched IX. Never got to watch the Steel Curtain in a full game until today. Thanks for posting the link!

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Thanks tube. I'll have to check it out. I forgot to post some of my thoughts from watching IX.

- I knew Terry Bradshaw had some running ability but boy, could he escape. He was a handful to bring down.

- Rocky Bleier's legs never quit. He constantly got yards after contact.

- Franco had a quite a day obviously, but he put the ball on the ground a lot. Three fumbles although I'm counting one where the ball squirted free after taking a step out of bounds.

- It was fun to watch the offensive lineman. Gerry Mullins was a heck of a pulling guard. He sprung Harris on his TD. Lineman were smaller than today, but Jon Kolb was an athlete. He got out into space on WR screens as quick as I've ever seen. He could pack a punch, too. Jim Clack was a guy I never heard of but looked like he had a solid game. And of course, there was Ray Mansfield and Mike Webster, who got a few snaps.

- Our WRs were blockers back then, too. Stallworth had some good blocks.

- Larry Brown and Rockey Bleier were the two most productive receivers.

- It was interesting to watch the differences in offense from then to today. You'd see guys split out and still play with their hand down. No one used shotgun at all and we worked nearly exclusively out of that two back, pony set. Usually we'd start with an I-Form and then switch to split backs. Punt returns consisted of having three players back with no jammers.

- I don't know how any team ever moved the ball on us throughout the 70s. Complete and utter dominance by the DL. You could not stop Joe Greene. No matter what you did. L.C. Greenwood was a factor, Ernie Holmes blew up play after play and Dwight White truly was a Mad Dog. He finally came out of the game late in the 3rd quarter, no doubt completey drained after being in the hospital all week. But White played a great game. If you didn't know any better, you wouldn't know he was sick.

We would line up Greene and Holmes right next to each other. Holmes would shade to the inside, almost lining up in a "V" shape between the two. You could either have Holmes crash down or have him loop around Greene. You'd see stacking between Greene and Lambert and Greene could line up in a variety of places. Shaded over the center, on the guard, or shaded to the outside of the guard. You could not stop him. On the following play following a fumble that put the Vikings at our five in a 9-0 game, Greene recovers a fumble.

- Our defensive line also batted down about a hundred passes, one resulting in a pick by Joe Greene after White deflected the pass.

- The only touchdown the Vikings got came on a blocked punt returned for a touchdown. The defense pitched a shutout.

- On the other side of the ball, it was cool to watch a lot of Hall of Famers. Fran Tarkenton, even if he didn't have a good game. Alan Page was a terror. Wicked head slap. Got to see Marshall and Eller. Paul Krause is the all-time leader in INTs. Jeff Siemon was all over the place.

- I knew Terry Bradshaw had some running ability but boy, could he escape. He was a handful to bring down.
    Who does that remind you of?

The Vikes D (Purple People Eaters) wasn't too shabby either. Tarkenton was the best scrambler in that era but he was a small guy so he was always getting passes batted down. He was the "Jim Kelly" of the 70's - 0-3 in the Super Bowl.

Larry Brown started as a TE but became a solid OT in the late 70s.

After reading your analysis, I think I'll be watching SB IX today before the NFCC game. I rarely watch that one.

Senior Member Array title="BigPoppaG is an unknown quantity at this point"> BigPoppaG's Avatar

I found a guy who was selling VHS copies on Ebay about 8 years ago. Got all of them. One even has all the original commercials with it. Gotta get those transferred to DVD one day. LOL

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppaG View Post
    I found a guy who was selling VHS copies on Ebay about 8 years ago. Got all of them. One even has all the original commercials with it. Gotta get those transferred to DVD one day. LOL
    Those old commercials are fun to watch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppaG View Post
    I have every Steelers SB on DVD....absolutely LOVE watching them!!!
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Who does that remind you of?

The Vikes D (Purple People Eaters) wasn't too shabby either. Tarkenton was the best scrambler in that era but he was a small guy so he was always getting passes batted down. He was the "Jim Kelly" of the 70's - 0-3 in the Super Bowl.

Larry Brown started as a TE but became a solid OT in the late 70s.

After reading your analysis, I think I'll be watching SB IX today before the NFCC game. I rarely watch that one.
    Lol, I got the same response when I posted it on another board. I can definitely see how he compares to Ben. I think Bradshaw was the better runner, acutally. But both were extremely tough to bring down.

I knew about Page and Marshall, but had never gotten to watch them play. Besides Marshall's infamous 80 yard fumble recovery the wrong way. Didn't know Eller was as good as he was although he didn't have much of an impact this game. Page was a monster especially early in the game. I'm pretty sure he was chopped block all game long.

I didn't know Brown moved to tackle. Thanks.

The Cowboys games were probably the most fun to watch, and I'm sure I'll watch them at some point, but I wanted to watch the first win. Plus, the chance to see a great defensive battle which it really was. For both sides although we couldn't convert on two early field goal attempts.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Hey Mods, Do you think this thread could get stickied, it sure is worthy imo.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Hey Mods, Do you think this thread could get stickied, it sure is worthy imo.
    Agreed, and done.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Just thought I'd let you guys know (I'm sure many of you have seen it advertised already) but the NFLN is going to re-air all of the SB starting Saturday @ 8:00pm so set your Tivo!!

I'm pretty pumped I was born after the legendary 70's Steelers and would love to watch football the way it was meant to be!

edit: Just realized while setting my recorder is they are only 30min =\

Ah well.. I'll take it!
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Too bad YouTube banned the user.
    Hater = Realist