Thread: the 112th Congress

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

the 112th Congress

Been watching CSPAN as the new congress was sworn in, a new speaker was elected, and they started getting to work. They started by cutting funding for the House by 5% across the board. Then they started today by reading the Constitution (with members of both parties reading excerpts)

What the new majority is saying:

* Any new legislation introduced must pass a Constitutionality test.
    * Rather than just cutting funding for each current program, for instance cut each programs funding by 1/3 across the board, ask ourselves about each program if it's something the Constitution calls for the federal govt to do, and if not, GET RID OF IT.
    * Repeal Obamacare !!!!!! (that will be coming up for a vote next week)
    * Cut costs by cutting military funding ? I DON'T THINK SO ! (per the majority party)

Granted, I realize they are still poiliticians, but I'm loving what I'm hearing and have been waiting a long time to hear this kinda talk from Washington. I am willing to give them a chance to live up to those words.

What the minority party is saying:

* SSDD
    * Insurance companies are evil and are the only reason the majority party wants to repeal Obamacare.
    * Repealing Obamacare will hurt seniors.
    * Repealing Obamacare will add to the deficit. (1)
    * If we repeal Obamacare, WE ALL GONNA DIE !!!!!

(1) I'm still trying to figure out how not taking on another expenditure can ADD to the deficit **shrugs**
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Re: the 112th Congress

I particularly love the one about the Republicans being in bed with insurance companies as the reason for repeal, when this bill as it's written will make BILLIONS for insurance companies through the very unconstitutional individual mandate to purchase insurance. Logic says 30 million new insured = more money for Highmark, for example. And I find it very hard to believe that NOT spending billions of dollars would add to the deficit. I mean, come on! Do they really think people are that stupid? Try explaining that to those who support it, though.

Repealing Obamacare will hurt seniors? Really? First of all, they're proposing cutting Medicare by $500 billion. That right there will hurt seniors. On top of that, they are proposing limiting how much they pay out to doctors who accept Medicare, to the point where many of them will no longer accept Medicare patients. That will hurt seniors. And let's not kid ourselves - they will install methods that will result in denying critical care to people who need it most, in the name of "cutting costs." That will hurt seniors. Again, try explaining all of that to an Obamacare supporter.

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

Long live the Tea Party!!!

Nothing better then a Black & Gold Wedding 09/24/11

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BucsPensStillerakawirels3 View Post
    Long live the Tea Party!!!
    Amen, brah

and after listening to CSPAN (House of Reps) today, I can tell you that the new majority party are at least TALKING like they heard the American people and get it ! Like we can expect some real changes that will actually help the economy and EVERY American. The minority party are spewing forth the same old and thinking the we'll buy it this time.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Senior Member Array title="Doc_Holiday is an unknown quantity at this point"> Doc_Holiday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7SteelGal43 View Post

* Repeal Obamacare !!!!!! (that will be coming up for a vote next week)
    The problem is that The Senate won't pass this repeal and Obama won't sign it. There isn't enough to overturn a Presidential Veto in Congress. We need 2/3rds to do that.

Plus if you listen to the CBO, the repeal will cost us about 230 Million dollars.

If we don't focus on the economy, Obama will use that like Bill Clinton and he'll get a 2nd term. Let's think pragmatically and the whole game and not just the quick little play.

I disliked that when they read the constitution, they edited out certain passages. I doubt many people read it let alone fully understand it. I had too as my Government and History teacher was adamant about his students knowing and I quote, "Knowing what the Fuck your Country is about."

Loved that man, he fought in WWII and Korea; tough as nails and had no problem failing anyone if they couldn't learn. He wouldn't last as a teacher today and that's sad.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Obaama will be repealed in 2012!

I seen where some of the D's were whining about how stupid it was to read the Constitution.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Final Tab for Pelosi’s Speakership: $5.34 Trillion in New Debt (Or $3.66 Billion Per Day)

Senior Member Array title="The WH will become famous soon enough"> The WH's Avatar

Don't forget that 2 Republicans didn't see it nescessary to attend the Constitution reading.

Senior Member Array title="The WH will become famous soon enough"> The WH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    Final Tab for Pelosi’s Speakership: $5.34 Trillion in New Debt (Or $3.66 Billion Per Day)
    I know that some of you guys have strong feelings against Obama. but I will think until the day I die that Pelosi is a bigger source of Evil than Bush and Obama combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holiday View Post
    The problem is that The Senate won't pass this repeal and Obama won't sign it. There isn't enough to overturn a Presidential Veto in Congress. (1) We need 2/3rds to do that.

Plus if you listen to the CBO, the repeal will cost us about 230 Million dollars. (2)

If we don't focus on the economy, Obama will use that like Bill Clinton and he'll get a 2nd term. Let's think pragmatically and the whole game and not just the quick little play.(3)

I disliked that when they read the constitution, they edited out certain passages.(4) I doubt many people read it let alone fully understand it. I had too as my Government and History teacher was adamant about his students knowing and I quote, "Knowing what the Fuck your Country is about."

Loved that man, he fought in WWII and Korea; tough as nails and had no problem failing anyone if they couldn't learn. He wouldn't last as a teacher today and that's sad.

1. Everybody knows that the repeal won't pass a vote in the Senate nor withstand a veto. At the same time, IF they sat around saying "wait til 2012", we'd be accusing the new majority party of not delivering on their promises or being all talk (again). After 2012, I have a feeling there is a good chance it will pass the Senate and there won't be a veto to overcome.

2. Cost us 230 Million ? When the program itself is gonna cost in the billions/trillions ? I'm not buying it and nobody has explained exactly how SPENDING more actually SAVES us more ?!!

3. Let's do think of it as an entire game and not a 'quick little play'. The game plan should be not just to take what they give us (compromise) but to come at 'em hard and heavy with an all out blitz.

4. Yeah, they edited out and didn't read certain passages for a couple reasons. The PC crowd squawked and certain things had been amended (with good amendments) such as no slavery, voters rights, civil rights, etc, which of course were OBVIOUS changes to the original constitution because of the language and spirt of the original Constitution. "ALL men (and women of all colors, races, creeds) are created equal with certain unalienable rights".
    Stay classy, leftnutz

I am proud to say that I personaly know one of the freshmen representatives. Adam Kizinger is a stand up young man who will do us all proud.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --