Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakers celtics

Hybrid View

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Lakers celtics

Who's going to win?

I'd like to see the Lakers but I think the Celts might pull it off this year.

AKA xfl2001fan-GO BROWNS! Array title="GitNoLuv is on a distinguished road"> GitNoLuv's Avatar

Without Bynum...I'd have to go with Boston.
    Official SteelUniverse Guru and BrainTrust Committee Chairman!!!

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

since i am a 76ers fan and have history with both those teams, i hope both teams catch the plague and they have to cancel the finals

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    since i am a 76ers fan and have history with both those teams, i hope both teams catch the plague and they have to cancel the finals
    I've been a Celtics fan since I picked up a basketball over 30 years ago, so we know what I want. I just wanted to say that while I respect the 76ers, we got a lot more history than the C's and Lakers. Those Eastern Conf brawls back in the 70's and 80's were epic. I still hate Andrew Toney.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I've been a Celtics fan since I picked up a basketball over 30 years ago, so we know what I want. I just wanted to say that while I respect the 76ers, we got a lot more history than the C's and Lakers. Those Eastern Conf brawls back in the 70's and 80's were epic. I still hate Andrew Toney.
    i know what you mean, to this day i cant stand bird ,parrish ,mchale ect ect ect

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

i know what you mean, to this day i cant stand bird ,parrish ,mchale ect ect ect
    Yeah, but I can respect the game of Bobby Jones, Moses Malone, Dr. J, Chuck Barkley........I just hated Toney. I'm hopeful of the C's winning it all, but worried they are getting worn down by this run.

The fact that the Lakers are really Bryant and his self described "my guys" is really annoying. That and the antics of Phil Jackson calling out Steve Nash for palming the basetball, when he's never been called for it....just makes the entire Laker organization look like a bunch of self centered egomaniacs. I mean, just hit your shot and try to have some class by not needing to tell Alvin Gentry about it.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Hey VA Steeler, I live in VB and I also like the Sixers. Small world. To be honest, I HATE both teams but would rather see the Lakers beat the stinkin Celtics. I hate all Boston teams!

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Hey VA Steeler, I live in VB and I also like the Sixers. Small world. To be honest, I HATE both teams but would rather see the Lakers beat the stinkin Celtics. I hate all Boston teams!
    excuse my ignorance , ive been trying to think and cant come up with anything...VB?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Va Beach

excuse my ignorance , ive been trying to think and cant come up with anything...VB?

Senior Member Array title="SteelersinCA is an unknown quantity at this point">

Kobe is in another world this playoffs, he can't be denied.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

I think I'll say the Lakers get another title.

Kobe is..... well hes Kobe
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

I can't stand Kobe or the Lakers, so I hope they lose......unfortunately I don't think they will, Lakers in 6

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Gotta go with the Celts. They beat the best team in the NBA then the hottest team in the NBA to get where they are...they are a team on a mission, and this is probably the last hurrah.

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Gotta go with the Celts. They beat the best team in the NBA then the hottest team in the NBA to get where they are...they are a team on a mission, and this is probably the last hurrah.
    LMAO!

fail.

try actually watching some NBA instead of eating what espn's sprortcenter fed fans 3 weeks ago.

the LeQuits are 10X worse than the 16-0 patriots (you cant have it both ways), and to think the magic were "hot" because they ran up an 8-0 record on illegitimate playoff scrubs is naive at best....

you are front running with the celtics because they have already proven they can beat the "champs" and beat down wanna be scrubs such as the cleveland.

PS... you cant spell cleveland without l. e. a. v. e.

lol.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Uhh...Apparently the best teams and hottest teams are STILL playing. They didn't lequit.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...um/05/28/kobe/

LOS ANGELES -- Where and when the Great Free Agent Summer Summit takes place no one is certain at the moment. Ambassador Dwyane Wade has called it, and, presumably, fellow diplomats LeBron James, Joe Johnson and Chris Bosh (the attendance of the Toronto Raptors forward would make this a truly international meeting) will be there, too. We can only hope that a photographer is present to capture the moment, as one was at Yalta, where Roosevelt, Stalin and a fur-hatted Churchill famously met to figure out what the post-World War II world should look like, much as the future geography of the NBA will be sussed out this summer.

Meanwhile, a more isolationist-minded superpower named Kobe Bryant trudges on in this NBA postseason. Were the Los Angeles Lakers guard a free agent, I can't imagine that he would've accepted a seat at the summit, for in Kobe's world view ... well, there is no world view. There is what Kobe wants to do and nothing else. A summit is for others; Kobe will make his decisions in the solitude of self-reflection and, ultimately, arrive at them with certainty.

And so, as No. 24 laces them up for what could be a decisive Game 6 against the Suns in Phoenix on Saturday night, this would be a good time to remind everyone that, in many quarters, Bryant is now considered only the second-best player in the NBA.

Not in my book. Not yet. And probably not even next year, no matter where LeBron is playing.

The question of whether The King had surpassed The Kobester began to be asked quietly a couple seasons ago. Bryant was still the pick of most, but he engenders such enmity that many fans and journalists just couldn't wait until the NBA became LeBron's League. My own reading is that, by last season, a majority would've picked LeBron over Kobe, and after the Cleveland forward grabbed his second straight MVP award this season, that majority could be described as overwhelming.
    Let me repeat: I was not one of them.

The idea that reputations are permanently made and permanently unmade in the postseason is uttered so often that we get tired of hearing it. But that doesn't mean it's false. It's the way it is. Cruel as it sounds, six months of sterling play can be erased by six weeks of mediocrity.

At this writing only a precious few insiders know exactly what happened to distract James during the Boston Celtics series. But something did. He let himself be taken out mentally, and not for the first time. By contrast, when throughout the 2003-04 season Bryant had to jet back and forth to Colorado for legal proceedings surrounding his sexual assault case, I never saw him turn off mentally. Of course it was a mental strain. He admitted as much. But on countless occasions he made big plays on the very days that he was traveling.
    True, the Lakers did not win the title in the summer of 2004, but there were myriad problems with the franchise at that time: A war of wills between Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal (we see who won that one since Bryant is still there); the not-always-smooth integration of Karl Malone and Gary Payton into a lineup that had been fairly set; tensions between the front office and Phil Jackson, which, in this 360-world, might be happening again, a story for another day.

But let me propose another simply but often overlooked reason that Bryant remains superior to LeBron: Kobe is a better basketball player. Not a better athlete, which sometimes gets lost. A better basketball player. He dribbles better, passes better, has more ways to score and understands the game better. Which is not to say that LeBron is inferior in any of those areas. He is great. But he's not as good as Bryant.

When Kevin McHale was general manager in Minnesota, he used to complain that his scouts came back with reports like "jumps out of the gym" and "has running-back quickness." McHale used to tell them: "That's great if we're putting together a track team. But I'm looking for guys who can actually play basketball." (Feel free to make the obligatory mention that McHale was not an overwhelming success as an exec.)

The Suns are getting the whole Bryant basketball repertoire in this series. The absurd double-clutch jumper over Goran Dragic in the second quarter of Thursday's Game 5 win. The ridiculous three-minute span in the second quarter when he hit a 24-footer and two 25-footers to stretch the Lakers lead to 41-25. (The Suns call that shot "the rise-up." Bryant might be tightly guarded but he simply elevates above everyone and releases. It's unguardable, and he does it better than anyone ever, including Michael Jordan.)
    The way that Bryant turned distributor in the fourth quarter when the Suns went fulltime to their vaunted 2-3 zone (which they had worked on for all of 15 minutes before unveiling it in the series), finding the dependable Derek Fisher in the corner and Lamar Odom down on the blocks. L.A. needed all of Bryant's game-high 30 points, 11 rebounds, and nine assists to hold on to the 103-101 Game 5 win. Had the scorekeeper been convinced that his fall-short turnaround jumper (that ended in Ron Artest's hands and the put-back miracle) was a pass, Bryant would've had a triple-double. Plus, he had four blocked shots.

To differentiate between Bryant and James, the Suns' Grant Hill, who has been charged with guarding both, turns to a baseball metaphor.
    "LeBron has the pullup jumper and he takes you to the rim," said Hill. "He has the two pitches, and, trust me, both of them are great. But Kobe is like the guy with all the pitches. He brings his fastball, his change, gives you something on the corner. LeBron will overpower you but you might know what's coming. With Kobe, you're never comfortable."

There is also that ineffable something known as will. Earlier this season Orlando's feisty Matt Barnes was standing close to Bryant when he feigned throwing a ball at Bryant's face. Bryant never even flinched. "That scared me a little," Barnes said later. "I mean, that wasn't even human."

Bryant's will has, again, carried the Lakers this postseason.

Jeff Gross/Getty Images

Perhaps LeBron wouldn't have flinched either, but the simple fact remains that he has flinched in several key spots between the lines. Around the NBA LeBron's skills are universally respected, but it's not just the media that wonders if he lacks the right stuff when he most needs it. "Hey, they say if a dog doesn't bark as a puppy," said one player who desired anonymity, "he doesn't bark when he gets older either."

Actually, the one place where Bryant has not barked quite as loudly over the years has been in Phoenix. In the first round of the 2006 playoffs at US Airways Center he all but quit in Game 7 when he stopped shooting and at one point said, as he strolled by the Suns bench, "They expect me to play with him at center?" (He was talking about Kwame Brown.) And going into Game 6 the Lakers have lots of issues. It will be on their mind that they frittered away an 18-point lead at home in Game 5. The Suns are destroying Andrew Bynum (who was MIA on Thursday night) on pick-and-rolls, and LA.'s strategy of switching high and having a big man pick up Steve Nash failed miserably in Game 5 when Nash had 29 points. Jackson has searched among his backcourt backups (Shannon Brown, Jordan Farmar and Sasha Vujacic) for some solid play on the road and has not found it. Plus, the Suns are really good, really deep and really determined.

With all that in mind, Phoenix has to be considered the favorite in Game 6. I don't disagree and see a strong possibility there will be a Game 7 back in L.A. on Monday. But Bryant scored 36 and 38 points in the Games 3 and 4 road losses in this series of this I am certain: He senses the urgency in this road game will come out barking very, very loudly.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Re: Lakers celtics

Lakers win.. Kobe now 1 shy of MJ

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I bet it goes into game seven and I honestly think it's going to be Boston, I feel they have the better energy and will to win it all. The Lakers will put up a great fight though, great fight.

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

I like to see the Celtics win it due to I'm a Doc Rivers fan .

Strength is Voluntary! Array title="SteelerStrength is an unknown quantity at this point">

I like Rondo and KG, and love little Nate, but just can't stand Paula Pierce. I've seen her fake injuries too often, and I admit to having an issue with weakness.

Kobe is the definitive assassin in the NBA! Knee drained, broken finger, and he put the suns to bed!

Lakers in 6.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerStrength View Post
    I like Rondo and KG, and love little Nate, but just can't stand Paula Pierce. I've seen her fake injuries too often, and I admit to having an issue with weakness.

Kobe is the definitive assassin in the NBA! Knee drained, broken finger, and he put the suns to bed!

Lakers in 6.
    Kobe sucks up all the injuries and the Lebron apologists agonize over spinning the elbow into a legitimate excuse for the Cavs coming up short AGAIN. How many years has he played with a broken finger on his shooting hand? He learned a whole new way of shooting to continue playing. Kobe has the intangibles Lebron fans dream of Lebron having while Lebron dreams of fortune and fame.

Lakers in 6.
    Paul Pierce weak? take a look at this...... http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...2/ai_93457196/

He is not "weak" at all...you can think what you want about him, but if he were weak i dont see him bouncing back from something like that the way he did.

Strength is Voluntary! Array title="SteelerStrength is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    Paul Pierce weak? take a look at this...... http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...2/ai_93457196/

He is not "weak" at all...you can think what you want about him, but if he were weak i dont see him bouncing back from something like that the way he did.
    Recovering from being stabbed says nothing of one's strength, in my opinion. I've been stabbed twice, once in the face, but it never stopped me from winning the Nationals or the World Championships.

I'm speaking specifically about his reaction to minor injuries, faking in my opinion, on the court, being carted off in a wheel chair, then returning to the game as if nothing ever happened. That is weak. Nothing personal, we just measure strength & weakness on a different scale.

And, I think Pierce is a great basketball player, especially that step-back J!

Recovering from being stabbed says nothing of one's strength, in my opinion. I've been stabbed twice, once in the face, but it never stopped me from winning the Nationals or the World Championships.

I'm speaking specifically about his reaction to minor injuries, faking in my opinion, on the court, being carted off in a wheel chair, then returning to the game as if nothing ever happened. That is weak. Nothing personal, we just measure strength & weakness on a different scale.

And, I think Pierce is a great basketball player, especially that step-back J!
    Well that stuff is true and i get what your saying. Even though some of his responses to the injuries (like being carted off in a wheel chair for a shoulder injury..lol) is questionable... thats not being weak IMO some people just respond differently to pain and at first their first response is a little over board and once they realize "oh this isnt too bad" it makes them look stupid when they are able to play again. So i get what your saying but as long as he does come back i dont consider him "weak".

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Celtics in 6 !

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Boston has to start paying karma back for the saux finally winning, but the thought of LA getting another doesn't excite me much either.
    So with that I'll just say... Green for the money. Gold for the honey.

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

i'll say the celtics in 7. while nothing would please me more than the celts in 5, i am hoping for an epic series.

Kobe won't Lequit so the Lakers in 5. Kobe gets #5 and dominates as solidifies his reputation as the best ever in the Finals.

Momma there goes that man!!!!!!!

the easy shots arent dropping for the celtics. thats no way to beat the lakers in LA.