Thread: Back in the Flow - Aaron Smith

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Post Back in the Flow - Aaron Smith

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
    Posted 3 hours ago

As the OTA session ended, the majority of players made their way into the weight room, ready for cardio before finishing their day.

But Aaron Smith led a group of defensive linemen to the blocking sleds, looking to get just a little more work in before packing it in.

“He was the first guy walking over there,” said fellow defensive end Brett Keisel. “He is our leader.”

A leader who was sorely missed last year, sidelined after the fifth game of the season with a torn rotator cuff. But Smith is back, getting on the field earlier than many thought and taking part in the OTAs.

“I still have a ways to go but I am starting to get back in the flow of things, getting back into football,” said Smith.

For veterans OTAs are normally a necessary evil, a warm-up for training camp when things really get down to business. But for Smith it’s a whole different ball game this year.

“It’s fun,” Smith admitted. “You really appreciate things when things are taken away from you and you don’t have the opportunity to do them. I really am enjoying this, coming out here and running around, being able to compete and have fun with the guys.”

Smith is taking advantage of the pace at OTAs, which are in shorts, no pads, no hitting, to work his way back into the swing of things before training camp rolls around.

“It’s an opportunity for me to get my skills back to where I want them to be and to get back to being comfortable out there on the field,” said Smith. “I consider it a rehab, re-learning process right now. It will be nice because when I get to camp I will have already gone through all of this and be ready to go. It’s nicer right now to be doing this because everybody is not trying to kill one another. You get a chance to test it out when you want to test it out and you can protect it when you want.”

Smith wasted no time getting on the road to recovery, starting on his rehab the minute he was given the green light by the team’s athletic training staff. But what was tougher was the mental part of it.

“It’s hard to watch your teammates go out there and play games and you not be able to contribute and help out in any way,” said Smith. “It’s hard to do and hard to watch. It’s more mental than physical. The physical part you can work through. The mental part is where you have to fight. That was the hardest part. You don’t want to get too down, or too upset. You have to fight all of those bad thoughts in your head.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...9-5d5e4cf974c6

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Great read stillers - thanks!

I know I'm not the only one who missed Aaron last season and is thrilled that he will be back to anchoring the line this season . I'm tickled pink that he is working hard to get himself ready for the season and seems to have recovered very well. We need ya big guy!

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

I agree. We need him back healthy in the line-up. We definitely missed him last year!

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I hope Smith fully recovers, but I gotta admit that I have my doubts. He's in his mid-30s, has had two right arm injuries in the past couple years (Torn right biceps in 2007 and the rotator cuff, very serious, last year) and is playing at such a physically demanding position where you're goal is to run into the tackle or guard in order to free up the linebackers. Your body can only take so much before you begin the break down and you end up being a different, a less effective, player.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

sounds like he is ready to play i know i am looking forward to seeing him in uniform and not sweats!

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

It will be nice to get all of our guys back healthy and get back to the Steelers of old.

Senior Member Array title="solardave is an unknown quantity at this point">

Probably the most underrated lineman in the NFL. A true Steeler. I love the guy.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

If Hood's ready to play he might as well split some time with Smith and make him WAY fresher for the postseason

Glad he's back
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Re: Back in the Flow - Aaron Smith

Oh boy having Smith back anchoring our defense is going to be a huge plus again! I know he is aging and it seems injury is becoming a habit, but if he can keep healthy he will be a force to recon with indeed. He is one of the most underrated players on this team and in the league in his position and him alone makes the world of difference.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Strength is Voluntary! Array title="SteelerStrength is an unknown quantity at this point">

Re: Back in the Flow - Aaron Smith

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    Great read stillers - thanks!

I know I'm not the only one who missed Aaron last season and is thrilled that he will be back to anchoring the line this season . I'm tickled pink that he is working hard to get himself ready for the season and seems to have recovered very well. We need ya big guy!
    We all seriously missed him! It will be damn assuring to see him in uniform again!