Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a PUNCH to Bens Nose

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

a PUNCH to Bens Nose

If this has already been posted, I apologize, but I am just seeing this angle of the play for the first time. There is no doubt that it was an intentional punch to Roethlisbergers face.

Well surprise surprise...THIS vid has been removed by NFL 'licensing laws" too. I wonder why some videos manage to stay online ?
    Last edited by 7SteelGal43; 12-09-2010 at 04:09 PM.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

Re: a PUNCH to Bens Nose

Nothing better then a Black & Gold Wedding 09/24/11

Senior Member Array title="Akagi is an unknown quantity at this point">

Although it is clearly against the rules and should have been flagged (and in an alternate universe of real football shouldn't have been), I still don't think it was intentional. Ngata looks like he is trying to make the play. His head was already past Ben, IMO it looks like his hand is going wherever it goes. Which happened to be Ben's nose, but that's the way the game is played.

I'm all for calling them even if they're going to be called. But Ngata had more on his mind. Again, just my opinion.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akagi View Post
    Although it is clearly against the rules and should have been flagged (and in an alternate universe of real football shouldn't have been), I still don't think it was intentional. Ngata looks like he is trying to make the play. His head was already past Ben, IMO it looks like his hand is going wherever it goes. Which happened to be Ben's nose, but that's the way the game is played.

I'm all for calling them even if they're going to be called. But Ngata had more on his mind. Again, just my opinion.
    I agree - I don't believe it was intentional either. I liken it to plays where a defender will momentarily grab a ball carrier's facemask, immediately realize he has the ball carrier's facemask, and let go.

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

Look, I don't mean to sound like a pansy ass whiny Seahawks fan, but that looked like an intentional punch to me. IMO it looks much to quick to be a "uh-oh, that's his facemask" kinda draw back.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

Always thought it was intentional. Your arm doesn't accidentally get up that high when you're falling down to make a tackle. It's one thing if a defender is in the air because the QB pumped the ball and comes down on his head.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Ngata deliberately punched Ben in the nose and nothing is going to change that opinion. He could have pulled Ben down by the shoulder and his mitt is clearly coming forward in a punching motion at Ben's face. He saw an opportunity to take a shot and he did, the fat piece of shit.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Who tackles with a closed fist?
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Who tackles with a closed fist?
    see, I thought it looked closed fisted as well.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Senior Member Array title="beSteelmyheart is on a distinguished road"> beSteelmyheart's Avatar

I agree with HTG-there clearly IS a forward punching motion that doesn't seem to jibe with the motion of the tackle. Scumbag motherf*ckers, all of them. They proved it, we already know it. Ben stood tall, took a beating and a win. The guy is a warrior.
    "Preparation makes you lucky" Chuck Noll

Senior Member Array title="crcsnail has a spectacular aura about"> crcsnail's Avatar

iv never seen that angle before .looks like a punch to me .

G _ _ D _ L L
    S _ C K S
    C _ C K

I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Thank you! I spent all of Monday listening to a few Steelers fans whining about this. Just stop sniveling fer krise sake... it's football!

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Thank you! I spent all of Monday listening to a few Steelers fans whining about this. Just stop sniveling fer krise sake... it's football!
    I'm not whining (exactly) just pointing out it looks more like punch than inadvertent contact.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Punch or inadvertent contact, it is a blow to the head. Do we not remember a couple of weeks ago a player was penalized because his hand brushed Manning's helmet?

Senior Member Array title="Akagi is an unknown quantity at this point">

I dunno, S&B, I think it's just people seeing it differently. Some think it was intentional, some don't, and life goes on. The reason I don't think it was intentional is that as good as Ngata is, I just don't see him thinking that hard about it; he's trying to make the play any way he can, and he's going 100% with what he's trained for years to do. But some here believe otherwise. I figure, let them say what they think, it's no big deal. Unquestionably, according to the rules it should have been flagged, intentional or not. The ref shouldn't have made a judgment call like he did, it's not up for deciding the motive.

Did you read Badasses: The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death, and John Madden's Oakland Raiders? Awesome book. Highly recommended.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

So, when does all the crying, bitching and moaning about hits, stop? I mean, really... it's football! I honestly don't care who gets fined, suspended or whatever... from whichever team... the Raiders included. Do we have to hear about a defensive player touching Brady or Manning and getting penalized for it every week? So what? We all know those two are "protected" for whatever reason by the "syndicate". F**k it! Smash the shit out of them anyway; take your lumps and move on.

I'm so tired of all the whining about football players hitting and getting hit. They are all big boys playing a big boy's game. No matter who gets fined or who doeasn't, for whatever "violation"... it doesn't affect any of us. If Harrison gets fined 300k by the end of the year, it won't change a damn thing for any of you. You'll all wake up in the morning and go to work... just like you would if Harrison never got fined a dime. Same goes for all of us across the board, no matter what team we root for or what player on any of our teams gets fined. Just watch the games and enjoy them. let the players worry about their money...... and stop whining!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I dunno, S&B, I think it's just people seeing it differently. Some think it was intentional, some don't, and life goes on. The reason I don't think it was intentional is that as good as Ngata is, I just don't see him thinking that hard about it; he's trying to make the play any way he can, and he's going 100% with what he's trained for years to do. But some here believe otherwise. I figure, let them say what they think, it's no big deal. Unquestionably, according to the rules it should have been flagged, intentional or not. The ref shouldn't have made a judgment call like he did, it's not up for deciding the motive.

Did you read Badasses: The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death, and John Madden's Oakland Raiders? Awesome book. Highly recommended.
    You know he is trained alright and he knows where to take a shot when he can. I played football and baseball and I took shots even in baseball when I had the opportunity like a high or hard slide whether it be into the catcher or second base. Not to mention bean balls.

That punch was a punch and intentional. He got off easy with a $15k fine. If I were him I would do it again at that price.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Excuse me? I thought a hand touching a QB's head/helmet was a penalty.....every time. Unless, your named Ben, apparantly. Even if he didn't get his schnoz busted, it was still a penalty. We got a 15 yard penalty several years ago for pulling down one of Drew Bree's socks. I'm not kidding. He never hit the ground.

Just watch the games and enjoy them. let the players worry about their money...... and stop whining!
    I don't give a rats ass about the money. I do care about the 30+ yards we should have got that would have changed the game.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

the play was going to fast. for that to be intentional dude made a hell of a shot. i think it looks bad but i really dont think he lined up and took a shot at ben.

and yes that should have been flagged, only because of the pansy rule

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Excuse me? I thought a hand touching a QB's head/helmet was a penalty.....every time. Unless, your named Ben, apparantly. Even if he didn't get his schnoz busted, it was still a penalty. We got a 15 yard penalty several years ago for pulling down one of Drew Bree's socks. I'm not kidding. He never hit the ground.

I don't give a rats ass about the money. I do care about the 30+ yards we should have got that would have changed the game.

yup

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Right. You, poor, poor Steelers fans are the only fans that are so "done wrong". The Steelers are the only team that gets "picked on". Get over it. You act like the Steelers and Ben are the only ones to ever get jobbed by the refs. Boo hoo. You don't know the half of being hated and made an example of by the league. Try it for 30 years... then get back to me.

You're having one year where it seems like everyone and everything are against you. If it continues for another 29 years, you'll get used to it and just take it in stride... trust me.

Look, I understand that you are all frustrated... if anyone can understand how you feel, it's Raiders fans. No team has suffered more at the hands of the league than the Raiders...... not one! After a while, other fans' complaining tends to sound like little girls whining, to us. Stop whining!

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

It's whatever. What really is special is even with a broken nose and broken bone in his foot, he played the entire game... and won.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    It's whatever. What really is special is even with a broken nose and broken bone in his foot, he played the entire game... and won.
    Exactly. He's a real football player. He never bitches or whines. He just does his job.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I've been kicked full in the face by a 16 hand race horse, ( thankfully he didn't have hind shoes on at the time) and my nose didn't look like Ben's did after that play. Ngata was looking to take Ben out on that play. I'm sure of it.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Right. You, poor, poor Steelers fans are the only fans that are so "done wrong". The Steelers are the only team that gets "picked on". Get over it. You act like the Steelers and Ben are the only ones to ever get jobbed by the refs. Boo hoo. You don't know the half of being hated and made an example of by the league. Try it for 30 years... then get back to me.

You're having one year where it seems like everyone and everything are against you. If it continues for another 29 years, you'll get used to it and just take it in stride... trust me.

Look, I understand that you are all frustrated... if anyone can understand how you feel, it's Raiders fans. No team has suffered more at the hands of the league than the Raiders...... not one! After a while, other fans' complaining tends to sound like little girls whining, to us. Stop whining!
    Dude, we're not whining, we're offering an opinion on a specific play.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I've been kicked full in the face by a 16 hand race horse, ( thankfully he didn't have hind shoes on at the time) and my nose didn't look like Ben's did after that play. Ngata was looking to take Ben out on that play. I'm sure of it.
    I competed in marshal arts for many years. I've had my nose broken numerous times. It's crooked... so what? I knew the risks. Not one time was it intentional by my opponent... in those days, contact to the face was not allowed. It happend sometimes. Things happen on the football field. These guys all know the risk. You can be sure as you like, but you don't know what his intention was, just the same.

Dude, we're not whining, we're offering an opinion on a specific play.
    It sounds like whining to me. Maybe because I hear Steelers fans whining every day about some injustice or another perpetrated on them by the evil NFL that's out to "get them" ???

It sounds like whining to me. Maybe because I hear Steelers fans whining every day about some injustice or another perpetrated on them by the evil NFL that's out to "get them" ???
    Well it seems to me as if you're whining about others whining. So if whining is such a pet peeve of yours, maybe you should just comment on it once, and move on to the next subject?

Well it seems to me as if you're whining about others whining. So if whining is such a pet peeve of yours, maybe you should just comment on it once, and move on to the next subject?
    You're right. I wouldn't have commented on it at all if weren't for hearing it every day and reading it every day. I'm done with it now. You can all continue to wallow in the injustice of it all... I'll refrain from further comment.