Thread: Colts' Saturday believes new CBA on horizon

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

Colts' Saturday believes new CBA on horizon

What's the rush? Colts rep Saturday unfazed by labor uncertainty

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Colts center Jeff Saturday insists the NFL Players Association and league owners can still make a deal.

It's just going to take patience, pressure and a little less posturing from everyone.

"My hope is that everybody puts their egos down to the side, and we get it dialed in," said Saturday, a four-time Pro Bowler and the Colts' longtime player rep. "I'm hoping there's pressure as fans and as people begin to say, 'Let's move this thing forward; we're tired of hearing about it,' that it brings more people to the table ready to get it done."

Saturday has already seen ramifications from the uncertain labor future.

Three of his Pro Bowl teammates -- safety Antoine Bethea, defensive end Robert Mathis and receiver Reggie Wayne -- skipped their third straight practices Sunday.

Bethea has not yet signed the team's $2.521 million one-year deal, which means he is not required to participate in the offseason workouts.

But Mathis and Wayne skipped the entire weekend because they want new contracts. Both players have two years left on the current deals, and the uncertain labor future looms as the biggest impediment for the defending AFC champs to work something out with two of their most important players.

A day earlier, Colts president Bill Polian said through a team spokesman he had explained to the agents for Mathis and Wayne that the Colts were reluctant to renegotiate because they didn't know how to structure them under a collective bargaining agreement that is not in place.

Saturday understands.

"We look at it as next year, and they have to plan for two, three and four years," he said on the final day of Indy's mandatory three-day minicamp. "I think both sides have their opinion, but you know me, I'm going to side with the players 100 percent of the time."

The key for everybody is getting a new CBA done.

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith has repeatedly said he expects owners to lock out players before the start of the 2011 season, once describing the chances of a lockout as 14 on a scale of one to 10.

Saturday thinks the pressure of a deadline, along with fans' complaints, will eventually force both sides to make a deal.

But it could take right up until the final moments.

"I think all the guys on the executive committee and involved in the NFLPA have a good attitude about it. Guys want to get it done," Saturday said. "We've just got to get it done. I feel like everybody's just like, 'Why are we negotiating now? What's the hurry? We have until next March. Let's just go play this season and see who balks first, who gets scared first.' I think all of us are going to wait until the end, and then we'll have to get it done in a short amount of time. I think the best work gets done then."
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

I hope hes right. I can't imagine 2011 without pro football. I wonder if the lockout occures whether we'll see scrub players like in The Replacement.
    Last edited by xX-TSK-Xx; 06-06-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Let's ride! Array title="BuddhaBus is just really nice">

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

As much as I wanna hope and agree I still think lockout in 2011 is inevitable.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

If it happens, great. If not, then the NFL will lose a lot of people, especially with the economy the way it is. When people are losing jobs and houses, they don't wanna hear about billionaires arguing with millionaires and other rich people over money.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Lockout chance: 80%. I hope I'm am wrong. We have to remember that we have a new head of the NFLPA and a new Commissioner. They are not likely to want to be seen by their constituents as being soft. We won't lose a full season, but I could see the loss 6 games or so.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

i hope jeff is right i have a hard enough time making it from super bowl to preseason now. this year is not as bad because the hawks

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

Oh please everyone, get your heads out of your asses and complete this CBA!!

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

I hope they get it done I want to see some football.