Thread: Fin's owner: Miami in Super Bowl

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

Fin's owner: Miami in Super Bowl

Ross talks big about team, QB

ESPN.com news services

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan isn't the only personality talking big in the AFC East. Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross is thinking big, too, and not afraid to let everyone know about it.

Ross, who was honored Saturday for a donation he made to help renovate the field at Miami Beach High School, said he believes his team will be playing in Super Bowl XLV in February 2011.

"I think in February, we will be playing in the Super Bowl," Ross told reporters.

Ryan, true to form, has also previously stated that he expects the Jets to be playing in the Super Bowl.

Ross, who bought 50 percent of the team in 2008 and became majority owner in January 2009, said he's not putting pressure on coach Tony Sparano with his bold talk.

"He thinks that too, and so does every player on the team. You just have to go out and do it," Ross told reporters.

Ross wasn't done there with his big talk. When he introduced Chad Henne at the event, he shared his hopes for what the quarterback can accomplish in a Dolphins uniform.

"I'm sure, and I'm hoping -- as everybody else is -- that he goes down as the greatest quarterback in Miami Dolphin history. And you know what that will mean," Ross told reporters.

The Dolphins owner said he wasn't worried about putting pressure on Henne by saying he hopes he can be better than all-time Dolphins great Dan Marino, who retired after the 1999 season.

"Henne can handle the pressure,'' Ross told reporters. "That I can tell you. He started at the University of Michigan as a true freshman and was playing in front of 110,000 people and led them to the Big Ten championship. I think the Miami Dolphins have a great quarterback for the future and I think everybody in South Florida is excited about what Chad Henne brings to this team."

After a surprising 11-5 record and an AFC East title in the 2008 season, Miami stumbled to 7-9 in 2009. This offseason, Miami added receiver Brandon Marshall to give Henne another weapon on offense and signed linebacker Karlos Dansby to boost the defense.

The New England Patriots won the AFC East in 2009 and have finished atop the division in six of the past seven seasons.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5257194

Seems like there is going to be an awful lot of AFC East teams in the Super Bowl this year. We might as well give up now. Maybe the Mighty AFCE will be merciful.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Even with all the additions they made this offseason they are still prob only 3rd best in their own division... SUPER BOWL....

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

That is one reason I never had respect for the Fins as a transplant from Pittsburgh living in Miami. The Fins were repsected under Shula in the 1970s, but their owner Joe Robbie was considered a frugal owner and a nutjob. His kids later fought over the team after his death in the 80s and with no proper estate planning, had to sell. Fast forward three decades of nauseating local media hype, empty promises, and other various issues where the Dolphins have only recently recovered from the crater left by Nick Saban. Now the new owner makes obvious stupid remarks which repeats the cycle all over again. Instead of saying something like they are going to build a team that will contend for the championship and make that SB a home game, he goes off and shoots his mouth off like an ignorant drunk.
    All Defense!

Let's ride! Array title="BuddhaBus is just really nice">

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

What the hell is this guy smoking. He also said he thinks Henne will be better than Dan Marino. Yeah thats right Dan Marino

Dolphins owner Ross hopes Henne can be franchise's greatest QB

NFL.com

If Chad Henne wasn't feeling any pressure before, well, he just might now.

Speaking at a local high school in Miami Beach on Saturday, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross predicted his team would be in Super Bowl XLV and feels his starting quarterback will be a big reason why

Ross, who went to Michigan, said that Henne has the potential to be the greatest quarterback in franchise history, according to the Palm Beach Post.

And that franchise history includes Dan Marino.

"Chad has been the greatest quarterback the University of Michigan has had," Ross told a crowd of several hundred kids and football coaches, "and I’m sure that I’m hoping, as is everyone else, that he goes down as the greatest quarterback in Miami dolphins history –- and you know what that will mean."

Henne, who turns 25 next month, is entering his third NFL season. He took over as the starter in Week 4 after Chad Pennington was lost for the season with a shoulder injury.

In 14 games (13 starts), Henne threw for 2,878 yards with 12 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. His passer rating was 75.2, which ranked 22nd in the league.

With the lofty expectations Ross has set, those numbers will have to improve drastically -- and fast.

"Chad Henne can handle pressure, that I can tell you," Ross said. "He started at the University of Michigan as a true freshman, playing in front of 110,000 people and leading them to the Big Ten championship as a true freshman. I think the Miami Dolphins have a great quarterback for the future, and I think everybody in South Florida is excited about what Chad Henne brings to this team."
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Let's ride! Array title="BuddhaBus is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by xX-TSK-Xx View Post
    What the hell is this guy smoking. He also said he thinks Henne will be better than Dan Marino. Yeah thats right Dan Marino

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true
    Goodell needs to order Ross into an "evaluation" immediately. Is this guy huffing paint? :jaw: