Thread: Greatest Defense Ever?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Greatest Defense Ever?

All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

No question mark needed in the title. It's not a question, it's statement of fact. THAT defense has never been matched. The 85 Bears were probably closest, but they are still only a solid 2nd.

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

The NFL changed the rules to dismantle the dominance of that defense... The NFL brass still admits that til this day...

SteelerSal
    Correct me if I'm mistaken but Kruzcek had the record for most concecutive wins by a rookie, from that season, until Ben broke it his rookie season.

I remember watchin that Championship game without Harris and Blier....I was so upset that we lost that game without either one of them.

As for Lambert talkin about the defense in the video...I wish he made more appearences in the public eye. He was the best MLB ever and he should be seen and heard, today. IMO

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

that was cool seeing Jack Lambert speak and the awesome defense we had that year!

thanks for posting!

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Oh yes by far the best defense ever in the NFL. Getting all those shutout's is just miraculous, something that is very rare in modern day NFL. A bummer the top two 1,000 rushers both went down with an injury. It would have capped off that defense with a title!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    Oh yes by far the best defense ever in the NFL. Getting all those shutout's is just miraculous, something that is very rare in modern day NFL. A bummer the top two 1,000 rushers both went down with an injury. It would have capped off that defense with a title!
    Yea... THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A "3 PEET" IF WE WOULD HAVE PULLED IT OFF !!! Would have been the only team with 3 consecutive Super Bowls !!

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

1976 Steelers was the Best

If I had to pick a 2nd and 3rd it would be the 1985 Bears and the 2000 Ravens

If I had to pick the best defense over a sustained period of time, it would be the 1970's Steelers...easily.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I dunno, I still think the 42 Bears have this team edging us out by the slimest of margins.

Either way, I really wish I could have seen the dynasty of the 70's.

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    1976 Steelers was the Best

If I had to pick a 2nd and 3rd it would be the 1985 Bears and the 2000 Ravens

If I had to pick the best defense over a sustained period of time, it would be the 1970's Steelers...easily.
    I think you have to throw the 2008 Steeler D in the discusion of top 3 also. To be honost, at some points that season I actually prefered that the other teams offense had the ball instead of our own with a lead. When we had it there was always the chance of a pick six or scoop and score. When the other team had the ball they had play near their best to put points on the board.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xX-TSK-Xx View Post
    I think you have to throw the 2008 Steeler D in the discusion of top 3 also. To be honost, at some points that season I actually prefered that the other teams offense had the ball instead of our own with a lead. When we had it there was always the chance of a pick six or scoop and score. When the other team had the ball they had play near their best to put points on the board.
    I don't think the 2008 Defense was anywhere near as good as the 1976 Defense.

It's difficult to compare era's though.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by xX-TSK-Xx View Post

In the 2000s, I think the steelers of 2008 are the 3rd best defensive of this decade.

The Ravens of 2000 are for me the first and we must not forget ls buccaners 2002.

THE DECADE

1.Ravens 2000
    2.buccaners 2002
    3.steelers 2008

Senior Member Array title="solardave is an unknown quantity at this point">

Everyone talks about the other 4 years when they won SBs but the 76 defense IMHO was the best ever.

Fantastic post!!!!

Absolutely loved it!!

Those were the days that cheap shots and on the field taunting were policed by the PLAYERS!!!! Great video!!!
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Stlrs4Life is an unknown quantity at this point"> Stlrs4Life's Avatar

No doubt, heck on the 85 Bears, and 2000 Ratshits.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I'd be a Professional Football Player, and you Damn well better believe, I'd be a Pittsburgh Steeler!"

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Fantastic post!!!!

Absolutely loved it!!

Those were the days that cheap shots and on the field taunting were policed by the PLAYERS!!!! Great video!!!
    Case in point...(This is for you FS76!!!!)
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I think the Steelers 74 defense gets shortchanged in the conversation, 40 sacks by the front four alone virtually evenly distrubuted among the quartet of Greene (9) Holmes (11.5) Greenwood (11) and White (8.5). In fact I'd say that team as a whole gets shorchanged. The fact of the matter is the 74 team probably had a more impressive playoff run than any Steeler team of that era or any since. They destroyed a good Bills team 32-14, then went to Oakland and beat a great Raiders team 24-13, then they just demolished the Vikings in the Super bowl.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I think the Steelers 74 defense gets shortchanged in the conversation, 40 sacks by the front four alone virtually evenly distrubuted among the quartet of Greene (9) Holmes (11.5) Greenwood (11) and White (8.5). In fact I'd say that team as a whole gets shorchanged. The fact of the matter is the 74 team probably had a more impressive playoff run than any Steeler team of that era or any since. They destroyed a good Bills team 32-14, then went to Oakland and beat a great Raiders team 24-13, then they just demolished the Vikings in the Super bowl.
    Franco overshadowed the Steel Curtain depsite them limiting the Vikings to 17 rushing yards in SB IX.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

A little more on the 74 defense. 52 sacks, 25 interceptions, a total of 3074 net yards allowed, which is the lowest in team history. That team was virtually impossible to pass on, try this on for size. Opponents for that season completed 147 of 339 passes (43.4%) for 1872 yards, 52 sacks for 406 yards in losses for an overall opposing qb rating of 44.1.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Case in point...(This is for you FS76!!!!)
    Personally, I credit that SB win to that one play. The Steelers were a totally different team after that happened.

AML

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    A little more on the 74 defense. 52 sacks, 25 interceptions, a total of 3074 net yards allowed, which is the lowest in team history. That team was virtually impossible to pass on, try this on for size. Opponents for that season completed 147 of 339 passes (43.4%) for 1872 yards, 52 sacks for 406 yards in losses for an overall opposing qb rating of 44.1.
    That defense is what made a Steeler fan out of me.

AML

BRINGIN' IT! Array title="Indo is on a distinguished road"> Indo's Avatar

NFL Network ran a show a few months back "Top Ten Defenses of All Time" and the '76 Steelers were number 1

(watching that video makes me want to change my avatar back to Lambert----but I guess Troy is no slouch, either!)

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

That's what Dwight "Mad Dog" White said in America's Game. I send that link to the Cowboys fans I know when they start to talk smack. Then they shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Personally, I credit that SB win to that one play. The Steelers were a totally different team after that happened.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Just sit and think about the "What if?" that follows that defense around. What if we had Rocky and Franco and kicked Oakland's ass? What if we won it all?

7 superbowls?