Thread: 18 Game season or this...here is my idea.

Living Legend Array title="Dino 6 Rings has a spectacular aura about"> Dino 6 Rings's Avatar

18 Game season or this...here is my idea.

Instead of extending the season to 18 games, which gives every team one more home game to make money off. I propose the following.

Add 2 slots to the Playoffs, so 8 teams from each conference make the playoffs.

Then, do away with the bye week, and just put a bye week at the end of the regular season. So after week 17, a break. Then the 4 Divions winners get their extra Home Game in the playoffs.

Seed the same, 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5.

This way, teams that are good enough to make the playoffs, or even limp in at 9-7, at least are the only ones rewarded and a team like the Bills or Panthers don't get that extra revenue game for being suckish. If you want the extra home game, get to the playoffs.

Also, this means every super bowl team has to win 3 games in the playoffs to get to the super bowl. Which has been done now a couple times. Steelers Giants both won the super bowl after winning 3 games in the playoffs. I'm sure others have as well. You hold four games on Saturday, four on Sunday the first week.

here is how it would look if the playoffs were held today:
    AFC
    #8 Raiders at #1 Jets
    #7 Colts at #2 Ravens
    #6 Steelers at # 3 Chiefs
    # 5 Pats at #4 Jags

NFC
    #8 Giants at #1 Falcons
    #7 Bucs at #2 Eagles
    #6 Packers at # 3 Bears
    # 5 Saints at #4 Seahawks

Everyone of those games would Kick Ass.
    AFC
    Week 2 would look something like #5 Pats at #2 Ravens, or #7 Colts at #5 Pats, as well as #6 Steelers at #1 Jets.

Steelers at Ravens NFC Title Game! Or Steelers at Pats AFC Title game, or Colts at Steelers AFC Title Game!

NFC
    #6 Packers at #1 Falcons
    #5 Saints at #2 Eagles

Saints at Falcons AFC Title game anyone?

Just throwing that idea out there. I know it would suck to have a 9-7 team in the playoffs, but it already happens, and that's better than a 10 or 11 win team staying home. Plus it only rewards the best teams with the extra Home Game for hosting that extra Playoff game.

Just a thought I had.
    SuperBowl Wins - How many does YOUR team have? Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Pats 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Ravens 2, Bears 1, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints 1, Hawks 1

Re: 18 Game season or this...here is my idea.

I dont mind what the players are proposing.

18 game season with 2 byes per team....and the roster extending by 5 players.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Living Legend Array title="Dino 6 Rings has a spectacular aura about"> Dino 6 Rings's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post

Just seems to reward the Owners of crappy teams with another home game. But I want a roster expansion anyway. especially after wathing our Oline just crumple apart with injuries this year. At least 5 players would be great, and be allowed to suit up more on game day.
    SuperBowl Wins - How many does YOUR team have? Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Pats 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Ravens 2, Bears 1, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints 1, Hawks 1

The Princess' Daddy! Array title="stlrtruck will become famous soon enough"> stlrtruck's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Saints at Falcons AFC Title game anyone?
    Only to be a smart arse, the Saints and Falcons play in the NFC. For them to make the AFC Title game would be absolutely amazing!

60 MINS, 53 MEN, 1 NATION
    STEELERS NATION

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post

I think that's the ONLY way that you can do an 18 game season.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Should be able to dress three more guys on game day also.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Should be able to dress three more guys on game day also.
    mmhmm!
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

If I'm understanding you correctly Dino, I don't like the idea of the bye week coming once at the end of the regular season.

That one week inbetween the year is really valuable, and I'd hate to take that away while expanding the schedule. I don't see that flying with the union.

If we wanted an 18 game schedule, practice squads should also be expanded so you can keep more players you weren't able to get a good enough look at with just two preseason games.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I have nothing against the 18 games other than the hypocrisy demonstrated by Goodell in claiming that he is so concerned about players safety, and then he will subject the players to two more games. His rational that he will cut two preseason games to compensate for the two new regular season games borders on ludicrous. Two preseason games hardly take the same toll as two additional regular season games. Finally, I worry about only having two preseason games to evaluate young players, especially for rookie free agents.

I heard one idea for 17 game schedule where each team plays one game at a "neutral site." It is a rather strange idea, but the more I think about it the more it grows on me. It would be fairer for the teams that have to play in Europe, particularly if the NFL does indeed plan on playing more games there. Presumably, you would then have three preseason games, which seems about correct to me. One issue of concern would be that it would be impossible for every game to be truly neutral. Still, the Steelers vs Eagles at Beaver Stadium in Happy Valley does have some appeal. I'm not saying I'm in favor of the 17 game schedule, it is just a thought.

Truth be told 16 games sound pretty good to me.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    I have nothing against the 18 games other than the hypocrisy demonstrated by Goodell in claiming that he is so concerned about players safety, and then he will subject the players to two more games. His rational that he will cut two preseason games to compensate for the two new regular season games borders on ludicrous. Two preseason games hardly take the same toll as two additional regular season games. Finally, I worry about only having two preseason games to evaluate young players, especially for rookie free agents.

I heard one idea for 17 game schedule where each team plays one game at a "neutral site." It is a rather strange idea, but the more I think about it the more it grows on me. It would be fairer for the teams that have to play in Europe, particularly if the NFL does indeed plan on playing more games there. Presumably, you would then have three preseason games, which seems about correct to me. One issue of concern would be that it would be impossible for every game to be truly neutral. Still, the Steelers vs Eagles at Beaver Stadium in Happy Valley does have some appeal. I'm not saying I'm in favor of the 17 game schedule, it is just a thought.

Truth be told 16 games sound pretty good to me.
    Excellent post. I agree with everything here.