Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Pro Wrestling Fans Out There?

Let's ride! Array title="BuddhaBus is just really nice">

Any Pro Wrestling Fans Out There?

I didn't post this in the Other Sports forum because, as much as I love it and as athletic as it can be, I don't consider it a "sport", per se, seeing as the outcomes are predetermined (GASP!).

I've been into it since the mid-80s. I prefer the indy scene over WWE (haven't really watched it in a couple of years). I was a huge ECW fan before WWE purchased it and proceeded to eff it up beyond all recognition. My current favorite fed is CZW if you're into ultraviolent wrestling (I am NOT kidding, not for the faint of heart). I also enjoy Ring of Honor and a little TNA (not great, but they have some good wrestlers).

Some of my favorite wrestlers are: Ric Flair (The Man), Rob Van Dam, Davey Richards, Necrobutcher, Amazing Red, Taz, Sabu, Terry Funk, The Dudley Boys, "Sick" Nick Mondo, Masato Tanaka, Nick Gage, Drake Younger, Danny Havoc, Abdullah the Butcher, Jon Moxley and Low-Ki.

Try not to me too much!

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

I was a huge rasslin' fan from the early 80s up until McMahon bought out WCW. The Monday Night Wars between WCW and the WWF was wrestling at its best. But after McMahon bought WCW, it went downhill fast. I pretty much quit watching about six years ago.

clowns hater Array title="Prok is an unknown quantity at this point"> Prok's Avatar

I thought it was good entertainment back in the WCW vs WWF days as well. I'll watch ocasionally these days. I view it as the mans soap opera. lol
    But it can be entertaining and funny at times.
    Even the best of men can be self-absorbed and self-righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    I was a huge rasslin' fan from the early 80s up until McMahon bought out WCW. The Monday Night Wars between WCW and the WWF was wrestling at its best. But after McMahon bought WCW, it went downhill fast. I pretty much quit watching about six years ago.
    That's what happens when you are a virtual monopoly. No competition= no need to improve on your product. The Monday Night Wars were awesome though because you never knew what would happen next, who would jump ship to the other side and they always tried to outdo the other. It's too bad McMahon has no real competition yet. Sorry TNA fans. Even though I prefer TNA over WWE, they just can't seem to generate enough interest to re-ignite another REAL head-to-head battle. I think that's why I don't watch WWE at all anymore. McMahon just jams whatever stupid, mindless crap he wants down the fans' throat knowing full well that there is no other real mainstream alternative. I wish TNA would hire Paul Heyman to run the show there. I think he has the most potential to challenge McMahon again. Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff are NOT the answer in TNA. Hogan is too full of himself to allow other people to have the spotlight and Eric Bischoff hasn't had 1 other good idea since the NWO angle. He kind of fell into a good thing by accident back in WCW with the NWO and hasn't had an original thought that's worked since in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Prok View Post
    I thought it was good entertainment back in the WCW vs WWF days as well. I'll watch ocasionally these days. I view it as the mans soap opera. lol
    But it can be entertaining and funny at times.
    BINGO! Some of the soap opera stuff can get a little tiresome though. I prefer wrestlers that can actually perform in the ring than talk on a microphone and not be able to do jack inside the ropes. When you can get a guy that can do both (examples: Ric Flair, Taz, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin...) then you have something special there.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBus View Post
    That's what happens when you are a virtual monopoly. No competition= no need to improve on your product. The Monday Night Wars were awesome though because you never knew what would happen next, who would jump ship to the other side and they always tried to outdo the other. It's too bad McMahon has no real competition yet. Sorry TNA fans. Even though I prefer TNA over WWE, they just can't seem to generate enough interest to re-ignite another REAL head-to-head battle. I think that's why I don't watch WWE at all anymore. McMahon just jams whatever stupid, mindless crap he wants down the fans' throat knowing full well that there is no other real mainstream alternative. I wish TNA would hire Paul Heyman to run the show there. I think he has the most potential to challenge McMahon again. Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff are NOT the answer in TNA. Hogan is too full of himself to allow other people to have the spotlight and Eric Bischoff hasn't had 1 other good idea since the NWO angle. He kind of fell into a good thing by accident back in WCW with the NWO and hasn't had an original thought that's worked since in my opinion.
    I agree with everything you said. The NWO storyline was the best I've ever seen. They couldn't have done a better job with the way they used Sting. But once he finally returned to the ring, they had no clue where to take the story from there and it all fell apart.

Speaking of Sting, I can't figure out what the hell they are trying to do with him in TNA now. He just isn't as entertaining to me as a heel, but I'm not even sure that's what he is now.

The Princess' Daddy! Array title="stlrtruck will become famous soon enough"> stlrtruck's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

I'm on the Pro-Rasslin' scene. As much as I know it's fake, it's still some good entertainment.

WWE has not impressed me over the last 3 years and TNA has some great talent but they aren't using it. Like you said BuddhaBus, whatever TNA is doing with Sting, they need to figure it out quickly. The other night Sting was talking about true colors being shown so it's going to be interesting to see what happens at their next PPV.

60 MINS, 53 MEN, 1 NATION
    STEELERS NATION

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

I am a big Goldberg fan.

Quote Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
    I'm on the Pro-Rasslin' scene. As much as I know it's fake, it's still some good entertainment.

WWE has not impressed me over the last 3 years and TNA has some great talent but they aren't using it. Like you said BuddhaBus, whatever TNA is doing with Sting, they need to figure it out quickly. The other night Sting was talking about true colors being shown so it's going to be interesting to see what happens at their next PPV.
    Yeah, I feel like there is a big swerve on the horizon with Hogan and Bischoff turning heel again somehow. I just wish Hogan would quit interjecting himself into every big angle just to stroke his own massive ego. It's just not believable when Hogan gimps his old ass gingerly down to the ring and lays out guys 20-25 years younger and in better shape than him. HE CAN BARELY MOVE FOR CHRISSAKES! I mean am I supposed to believe that a beast like "The Blueprint" Matt Morgan is really going to be terrified of Hulk Hogan threatening to punch him? C'mon man! Time to pass the torch, Hogan.

TNA does have some great talent, but I really think it would take someone like Paul Heyman to maximize them to their fullest potential. I mean he made stars in ECW out of cast-offs from WCW and WWE(F) like Justin Credible (Aldo Montoya), Jerry Lynn (Mr. JL), Rob Van Dam (Robbie V), Shane Douglas and Chris Benoit. He also had a knack for finding unknown gems like Rhino, The Dudleys, Taz, Tommy Dreamer and Sabu. I would love to see what he could do with Jay Lethal, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Abyss, Amazing Red and The Motor City Machine Guns.

clowns hater Array title="Prok is an unknown quantity at this point"> Prok's Avatar

The one thing that confuses me is that i've seen Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair on TNA recently and had thought they were under contract to McMahon and WWE. So i was thinking McMahon owns TNA as well? I'm lost there.

I think John Cena is a damn good actor/wrestler. I don't like the role they have Chris Jericho playing much. Edge and Randy Orton can be pretty good at the craft too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    I am a big Goldberg fan.
    I really liked him too as limited as he was. He came out of nowhere (I think with a huge TV upset of Hugh Morris if I'm not mistaken) that shocked everybody. He just DESTROYED guys. The problem was, he got a big head and thought he was the best ever without really doing it for a long time. His matches were really short because of his limitations (I think he had 2 bad knees from his time in the NFL that forced him to retire). He had too much handed to him too fast, but it was hard to deny his monster-like aura. Brock Lesnar kind of had the same problem of getting pushed to the top too quickly, but he could actually go in the ring (and the octagon for that matter!). They didn't hang around long enough to be considered 2 of the greatest of all time because they made so much money and won titles so quickly they didn't feel they had anything else to prove or strive for so they moved on to other things. I think, at least, Lesnar could have gone on to be remembered as 1 of the all-time greats.

And as far as TNA goes: If they want my viewership to continue I think actual matches for Sting and some of the other guys would help. Admittedly i haven't watched alot, but what i did watch was mostly showman-ship stuff moreso that actual matches for some of the guys. I get the impression they want nothing more than to have these guys not wrestle until ppl will pay the pay-per-view costs at times. And i don't purchase the PPV's.

The one thing that confuses me is that i've seen Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair on TNA recently and had thought they were under contract to McMahon and WWE. So i was thinking McMahon owns TNA as well? I'm lost there.

I think John Cena is a damn good actor/wrestler. I don't like the role they have Chris Jericho playing much. Edge and Randy Orton can be pretty good at the craft too.
    Not really sure what's going on much in WWE these days except for what I read on wrestling forums. I know WWE has gone to a more PG, family-oriented style recently which turns me off more. I have no problem with Vince doing that if he wants because he wants to attract families now and it's more profitable that way, I guess, but it's just not for me. Everything gets dumbed down to a child's level and is too silly for me. I know it's not real, but I enjoy the action more if it at least seems more realistic and believable and reflects what grown adults would actually do and say in certain situations. I don't want everything that's going to happen telegraphed to me well ahead of time. I want to be surprised and/or shocked. It's more fun that way.

And as far as TNA goes: If they want my viewership to continue I think actual matches for Sting and some of the other guys would help. Admittedly i haven't watched alot, but what i did watch was mostly showman-ship stuff moreso that actual matches for some of the guys. I get the impression they want nothing more than to have these guys not wrestle until ppl will pay the pay-per-view costs at times. And i don't purchase the PPV's.
    Yeah, I don't purchase the PPVs anymore either. Too much money and usually more of a let down than a Mike Tyson fight. I would rather plunk down $20-$25 and go catch an indy promotion live like ROH or CZW where it's all about the action and much more exciting (even though not always as polished) for half the cost.

Agreed. Having PPV matches lost it's luster for me years ago.
    But i'll still watch monday night raw and thursday night TNA if i make it up that late. Why they don't put it on at an earlier time is beyond me as well.

Agreed. Having PPV matches lost it's luster for me years ago.
    But i'll still watch monday night raw and thursday night TNA if i make it up that late. Why they don't put it on at an earlier time is beyond me as well.
    Gotta get yourself a DVR Prok, m'man! I don't watch much of ANYTHING these days while it's being broadcast (except Steeler games, of course!). Too many pesky (and exceedingly stupid) commercials. I love being able to fast forward through all of that crap. Saves a ton of time as well. DVR is the greatest invention of the 21st century!
    Last edited by BuddhaBus; 06-06-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

I really liked him too as limited as he was. He came out of nowhere (I think with a huge TV upset of Hugh Morris if I'm not mistaken) that shocked everybody. He just DESTROYED guys. The problem was, he got a big head and thought he was the best ever without really doing it for a long time. His matches were really short because of his limitations (I think he had 2 bad knees from his time in the NFL that forced him to retire). He had too much handed to him too fast, but it was hard to deny his monster-like aura. Brock Lesnar kind of had the same problem of getting pushed to the top too quickly, but he could actually go in the ring (and the octagon for that matter!). They didn't hang around long enough to be considered 2 of the greatest of all time because they made so much money and won titles so quickly they didn't feel they had anything else to prove or strive for so they moved on to other things. I think, at least, Lesnar could have gone on to be remembered as 1 of the all-time greats.
    "Monster Type Aura" is a perfect way of describing him. I loved everything about watching him, from his entrance, to the music they played as he approached the ring, and how...like you said...destroyed guys. Watching him pick up 300 to 450lb guys was incredible.

Did you ever hear that story about him and Jericho backstage where he and Jericho got into it?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Hogan + Bischoff = FAIL. They haven't had anything successful since the NWO. The misuse of Sting (in WCW, after he returned), the fingerpoke of doom and Hogan's ego was the downfall of WCW. They are putting lame stories on TNA too. I'm not watching. WWE is boring now. Too much HHH and Cena. Bleh. I miss ECW circa 94-96.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I watch the PPVs (if I am interested) online for free.

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    "Monster Type Aura" is a perfect way of describing him. I loved everything about watching him, from his entrance, to the music they played as he approached the ring, and how...like you said...destroyed guys. Watching him pick up 300 to 450lb guys was incredible.

Did you ever hear that story about him and Jericho backstage where he and Jericho got into it?
    The best part of the entrance was, after standing in the shower of sparks, he'd blow smoke out of his nose. It just made him look like a raging bull. Sorta like the bull from the Bugs Bunny cartoons, but way scarier.

I don't think I have heard that story, BF. Tell away.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Hogan + Bischoff = FAIL. They haven't had anything successful since the NWO. The misuse of Sting (in WCW, after he returned), the fingerpoke of doom and Hogan's ego was the downfall of WCW. They are putting lame stories on TNA too. I'm not watching. WWE is boring now. Too much HHH and Cena. Bleh. I miss ECW circa 94-96.
    If you liked ECW from '94-'96, and you have the HDNET channel, you may want to check out Ring of Honor Wrestling. They are a more action/technical based promotion. A bunch of really good wrestlers there like Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Tyler Black, Jerry Lynn, Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Kenny Omega, Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli and the list goes on. If you're more into the hardcore aspect of wrestling, Combat Zone Wrestling (CZW) is extremely violent with a mix of good wrestling and high-flying action. They are better known for the ultraviolent stuff, though and their non-violent wrestling stuff can be a little hit or miss so just remember, a lot of these guys are just starting out and aren't as polished as what you'd see on TV. They do all the hardcore stuff ECW did plus they use flourescent light tubes, panes of glass, needles, carpet strips, cinder blocks, etc. I warn you, it is not for the weak of stomach. It is the kind of hardcore wrestling Cactus Jack (Mick Foley) was known for in Japan. Some SICK stuff. You can find them on YouTube. Just search "CZW" or names like Nick Gage, Zandig, "Sick" Nick Mondo, Necrobutcher, Danny Havoc, Wifebeater or Thumbtack Jack. They also have a website.

The Princess' Daddy! Array title="stlrtruck will become famous soon enough"> stlrtruck's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Yeah, I feel like there is a big swerve on the horizon with Hogan and Bischoff turning heel again somehow. I just wish Hogan would quit interjecting himself into every big angle just to stroke his own massive ego. It's just not believable when Hogan gimps his old ass gingerly down to the ring and lays out guys 20-25 years younger and in better shape than him. HE CAN BARELY MOVE FOR CHRISSAKES! I mean am I supposed to believe that a beast like "The Blueprint" Matt Morgan is really going to be terrified of Hulk Hogan threatening to punch him? C'mon man! Time to pass the torch, Hogan.

TNA does have some great talent, but I really think it would take someone like Paul Heyman to maximize them to their fullest potential. I mean he made stars in ECW out of cast-offs from WCW and WWE(F) like Justin Credible (Aldo Montoya), Jerry Lynn (Mr. JL), Rob Van Dam (Robbie V), Shane Douglas and Chris Benoit. He also had a knack for finding unknown gems like Rhino, The Dudleys, Taz, Tommy Dreamer and Sabu. I would love to see what he could do with Jay Lethal, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Abyss, Amazing Red and The Motor City Machine Guns.
    Yeah Hogan needs to put his ego down to rest. While I think he can help create a new era of wrestling with TNA he needs to step aside from the ring and let his magic work behind the scenes.

I loved ECW back in the day. They had some people there that would work their arses off to make a show work.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    The problem with Hogan and Bischoff in relation to the WCW is that at the time they were nose and nose with WWE and then the egos started tripping over one another and just when they were primed for taking over WWE, the wheels came off and that's when WCW ended.

And I'll agree that right now some of the TNA story lines are ridiculous, I think they'll start challenging WWE for ratings before the end of the year. They have the pieces in place it's just a matter of putting aside that ego and letting the talent work the ring. Especially since the WWE hasn't been challenged at all over the past several years. They're asleep at the wheel, and could very easily be caught up to if the master minds behind the story lines can put things in place quick enough.

60 MINS, 53 MEN, 1 NATION
    STEELERS NATION

Quote Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
    Yeah Hogan needs to put his ego down to rest. While I think he can help create a new era of wrestling with TNA he needs to step aside from the ring and let his magic work behind the scenes.

I loved ECW back in the day. They had some people there that would work their arses off to make a show work.

The problem with Hogan and Bischoff in relation to the WCW is that at the time they were nose and nose with WWE and then the egos started tripping over one another and just when they were primed for taking over WWE, the wheels came off and that's when WCW ended.

And I'll agree that right now some of the TNA story lines are ridiculous, I think they'll start challenging WWE for ratings before the end of the year. They have the pieces in place it's just a matter of putting aside that ego and letting the talent work the ring. Especially since the WWE hasn't been challenged at all over the past several years. They're asleep at the wheel, and could very easily be caught up to if the master minds behind the story lines can put things in place quick enough.
    Very well put. If they (TNA) can just give us some better story lines it would make it worth my while to stay up later on Thursday night and watch it. I love some of the athletics the youngsters have too. Like you said, Hogan (and Flair too IMO) need to put their ego's aside a bit and help the youngsters develop their characters better.

I don't think anyone answered yet: I thought Flair and Hogan were under contract with WWE? Does that mean that WWE may be affiliated with TNA?

Flair and Hogan signed w/TNA and debuted this past January. I only watched one or two since they signed and to be honest, both are old farts and need to retire. Flair was a master in his day and Hogan was the mainstream superstar Vince McMahon made. These guys were fine in the 90's but now, you just shake your head. Sorry, but they need to go.

As far as ROH goes, I saw it once and it was good but I'm not that interested in wrestling as I was in the 70's-90's. I'll flip over to Raw or TNA when I'm really bored but just don't have the urge like I used to.

Very well put. If they (TNA) can just give us some better story lines it would make it worth my while to stay up later on Thursday night and watch it. I love some of the athletics the youngsters have too. Like you said, Hogan (and Flair too IMO) need to put their ego's aside a bit and help the youngsters develop their characters better.

I don't think anyone answered yet: I thought Flair and Hogan were under contract with WWE? Does that mean that WWE may be affiliated with TNA?

Yeah, Hogan and Flair are no longer under contract to WWE. I believe Flair is doing his part to help the young guys. He's mentoring AJ Styles and, now, Kazarian and is associated with Desmond Wolfe (great talent currently being wasted imho) and Beer Money Inc. Flair is also currently putting over Jay Lethal in their feud. Hogan has hitched his wagon to Rob Van Dam and Jeff Hardy who are 2 big stars that are already over and Abyss, who I think Hogan is making out to be a joke. Abyss needs to be a MONSTER, not some slobbering Hogan . Abyss should be a Kane or Cactus Jack type character.

Speaking of Jay Lethal, has anyone seen his impression of Ric Flair? That is some of the funniest stuff I've seen in wrestling in about 10 years! His impression of Randy Savage is incredible as well. This guy is spot on with the impressions and I hope they continue to let him do more, though it seems they are pushing him more as a serious wrestler now. Check it out if you haven't yet.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

BINGO! Some of the soap opera stuff can get a little tiresome though. I prefer wrestlers that can actually perform in the ring than talk on a microphone and not be able to do jack inside the ropes. When you can get a guy that can do both (examples: Ric Flair, Taz, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin...) then you have something special there.
    Stone cold had 3 moves in his prime.

#1 - The two handed beer chug
    #2 - The two handed bird
    #3 - The stone cold stunner ( that guys had to jump up and into for him)

Grossly over rated wrestler who survived purely on his ring persona.

I really enjoyed the WCW days of the luchadores and cruiserweights. Ultimo Dragon, Rey Mysterio, Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit, Billy Kidman ( 96 -98)
    Loads of fast paced polished wrestling with very little microphone work. Gotta admit that the NWO days were priceless.

Cant stand todays wrestling that is designed for todays youtube / ipod generation. Too much talk, too many gimmicks and the need for too many swerves.

Good to see most people posting here have watched the glory days of wrestling. I dont think it will ever be as good again

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    Stone cold had 3 moves in his prime.

#1 - The two handed beer chug
    #2 - The two handed bird
    #3 - The stone cold stunner ( that guys had to jump up and into for him)

Grossly over rated wrestler who survived purely on his ring persona.

I really enjoyed the WCW days of the luchadores and cruiserweights. Ultimo Dragon, Rey Mysterio, Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit, Billy Kidman ( 96 -98)
    Loads of fast paced polished wrestling with very little microphone work. Gotta admit that the NWO days were priceless.

Cant stand todays wrestling that is designed for todays youtube / ipod generation. Too much talk, too many gimmicks and the need for too many swerves.

Good to see most people posting here have watched the glory days of wrestling. I dont think it will ever be as good again
    Stone Cold was a good wrestler(maybe not great), but injuries later in his career to his knees and, especially, his neck, limited him a little. He and Brian Pillman were a great tag team back in WCW as The Hollywood Blondes and his early work in WWE(F) was solid. He could make a match believable.

I was/am a HUGE fan of the luchadores and cruiserweights. Loved all of the guys you just mentioned. Don't forget Eddie Guerrero, Psicosis, Juventud Guerrera, Rey Mysterio Jr. and Chris Jericho.

I believe everything runs in cycles, and wrestling will rise from the ashes again at some point. It will take some interesting new characters/wrestlers and some valid competition for WWE to get there though.

I'm assuming our only chance at a competition for WWE standpoint lays with TNA and what they can do to get more/better TV time?

Unfortunately, i think McMahon ultimately finds a way to strike them down as he has done so many others.

But man, it sure would be nice for them to get a better time-slot and better affiliation than Spike TV IMO.

I'm assuming our only chance at a competition for WWE standpoint lays with TNA and what they can do to get more/better TV time?

Unfortunately, i think McMahon ultimately finds a way to strike them down as he has done so many others.

But man, it sure would be nice for them to get a better time-slot and better affiliation than Spike TV IMO.
    Agreed. I'm not sure Ring of Honor can really push them anytime soon, so TNA is probably the only viable option.

TNA is going to have to ditch Hogan and Bischoff and get someone better to run the show like a Heyman or Jim Cornette to have a chance imho. They also need to trim some fat off the roster as well. Syxx-pac, Orlando Jordan, Rob Terry, Lacey Von Erich, Jimmy Hart, Tomko, Brutus Magnus and, ESPECIALLY, Scott Hall (waste of oxygen) have got to go. They also need to repackage guys like Brian Kendrick (very talented, but non-existent), Amazing Red (needs to be TNA's answer to Rey Mysterio), Desmond Wolfe (they are missing the boat on this guy), Homicide (bring back LAX), Kazarian (NEW, new Nature Boy?) and Sting (turn him face again). Kevin Nash and Jeff Jarrett may be better as backstage or front office help. Their better days are behind them now.