Thread: Report: Leftwich to Open Season as Steelers Starting QB

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Report: Leftwich to Open Season as Steelers Starting QB

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/...s-starting-qb/

Report: Leftwich to Open Season as Steelers Starting QB
    By Chuck Carroll
    Football News Now Staff Writer
    June 4, 2010

Byron Leftwich appears to be the Steelers starter in Week 1.
    To the surprise of some, but not many, it appears that Byron Leftwich will open the season as the Pittsburgh Steelers starting quarterback while Ben Roethlisberger serves his four to six game suspension.

Leftwich’s only competition came from the young Dennis Dixon who lacks the experience of the former Jaguars starter.

The 30-year-old had been taking snaps with the first team until Roethlisberger was cleared to return to practice this week.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette summed it up by stating, “it has become obvious Byron Leftwich will open the season as the starting quarterback.”

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Makes me a happy Steelers fan! I think starting the season with Lefty behind center is a no-brainer.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Guess they know what they are doing.... i still think DD gives us more options....either way I cant knock the coaching staff at this point
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    Guess they know what they are doing.... i still think DD gives us more options....either way I cant knock the coaching staff at this point
    I second that. I DO like Leftwich, but I was leaning towards DD. We will see.
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

SteelerSal
    Just heard this news on NFL Network.

I think it's the smart move and if Lefty struggles (which he wont) the first couple of games, then they might want to think about Dixon. IMO

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    Makes me a happy Steelers fan! I think starting the season with Lefty behind center is a no-brainer.
    Agree 100%. I have a lot of confidence in Leftwich.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Works for me! I have faith in Lefty.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Like Lefty as the starter but I think it would be a waste of talent if dixon isnt out there for a few plays a game... guy is an athlete

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

This is an upper tier team in this league as a whole. An experienced vet is probably the way to go. I'm right with you Byron, you have our vote of confidence!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I'm glad they were able to get Leftwich back. We were very lucky that things didn't work out so well for him in TB. He knows our offense and I think the players have confidence in him after how well he did the last time he stepped in. I think he is as happy to be back, as they are to have him.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

A very wise decision. Lefty will do just fine holding down the fort until Ben gets back.

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

im not sure this is an official report.

do we trust bouchette now?

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

like we didn't know this was going to happen...

I think Lefty will lead us to a 2-2, maybe 3-1 start. It'll be one of those things where Ben may have been able to win it, but Lefty nor anyone else could (couple sacks at very bad times that Ben would have escaped from type thing). But on the whole, Lefty'll have us in every game.

The more I think about, I lean to a 3-1 with the single loss to the Ravens, who will smell blood and know we are going to be a lot tougher to knock off late in the season with Ben in the game.

And hopefully, Lefty'll find himself a nice house in the burgh, and decide that he wants to stay here as the number 1 backup for the next 5 years.

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
    im not sure this is an official report.

do we trust bouchette now?
    I was thinking the same thing. One would think Dixon would at least get a shot during training camp.

Why not? Array title="Prouncey53 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Prouncey53's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    I wish we would go with Dixon... he gives us another dimension at QB and with some work with the first team he could be a pretty good QB in my mind. But hey, I guess that's why I'm not a coach.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prouncey53 View Post
    I wish we would go with Dixon... he gives us another dimension at QB and with some work with the first team he could be a pretty good QB in my mind. But hey, I guess that's why I'm not a coach.
    Pretty much my thoughts on the situation too...But as i said this is June 4th so why am i going to sit here and critize the choice (if it is indeed true) ? I'll be rooting for Lefty just as hard as everyone else
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Yeah, that'd be cool and all but, I'll wait till at least training camp, let alone the preseason, to start before I know they've made a decision
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

The Steelers are all about having a veteran presence and the leadership Lefty brings is huge! Im happy with this decision and im hoping he can lead them to a 3 and 1 record, but 2 and 2 would not be the end of the world. If he struggles I have faith DD will step in and give the Steelers a fair chance to win it.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

I would have been happy with either Lefty or Dixon but it feels good to know who the starter is for week 1.

Junior Member Array title="chucoblack&gold is an unknown quantity at this point"> chucoblack&gold's Avatar

I think we're blessed to have the personnel in the QB position

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

I think everyone pretty much saw this one a coming. Lefty brings experience over Dixon hopefully he will do well and keep us in the win column until Ben gets back.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Bad news for Dixon. Lefty seemed to thrive in our system in a limited role. Now is his opportunity to turn back the clock and make a final impact in the NFL. It will be interesting to see if he can put it together for a few games and perform as he once did with no injury or inadequate supporting player excuses. Have to wonder when the Steelers will be looking for the next Aaron Rogers to replace BB and where he will come from.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="solardave is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal View Post
    Just heard this news on NFL Network.

I think it's the smart move and if Lefty struggles (which he wont) the first couple of games, then they might want to think about Dixon. IMO
    I'm thinking the same way. I'm guessing we see a little deception using Dixon too.

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Im counting the minutes until opening day vs the Falcons !!!

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

Way to go Byron!!! Cant wait for football to begin!!!

Let's ride! Array title="BuddhaBus is just really nice">

I'm cool with Lefty. I think he'll do just fine, though I was hoping to see more of what Dixon can do. I trust the coaching staff is going to start the guy that has shown the most in practices and gives us the best chance of winning. I feel like we have the best set of QBs of any team in the league right now. We just need one of the guys to hold down the fort for 4 weeks until Ben gets back. If we can go at least 2-2, we'll be OK.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...t=46717&page=3

I remember before Ben derailed down in Ga. I suggested we get Byron back and that I thought he would beat out Dixon in an open qb competition and very few were buying.

Where's my medal?
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="SteelersinCA is an unknown quantity at this point">

I'm sort of surprised that a decision would be made this early. I would think Tomlin would hold off to see how everyone progresses.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersinCA is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post

Where's my medal?

there