Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2010 World Cup Soccer

Junior Member Array title="sherlock is an unknown quantity at this point"> sherlock's Avatar

Re: 2010 World Cup Soccer

Interesting "facts" zulater!
    For the record,one of the best games I've ever seen was 0-0
    Norwich City v West Ham United back in the mid-nineties,relentless end to end stuff from kick-off to the final whistle.
    That said,I've also sat though some god-awful 0-0 games as well!
    Anyway,commiserations to the U.S,as always they put up a great showing considering it's a minority sport in the States.
    I didn't realise Bill Clinton was there as part of a delegation to bring the World Cup to the U.S.A. in 2018.
    You'll have to leave the country for a month zulater!

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

After yesterdays horrible officiating FIFA has decided not to allow replay of the goals in stadiums. They really need official replay.

FIFA: Replay of Tevez goal 'a mistake'

Associated Press

JOHANNESBURG -- FIFA will censor World Cup match action being shown on giant screens inside the stadium after replays of Argentina's disputed first goal against Mexico fueled arguments on the pitch.

Angry Mexico players protested to referee Roberto Rosetti after the screens in Johannesburg's Soccer City showed Argentina forward Carlos Tevez was offside before he scored the opening goal in a 3-1 victory on Sunday.

FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot said Monday that replaying the incident was "a clear mistake."

"This will be corrected and we will have a closer look into that," Maingot told a news conference Monday. "We will work on this and be a bit more, I would say, tight on this for the games to be played."

Maingot said the screens were used to broadcast a FIFA "infotainment program" to fans before the match and could be used to replay some match action.

Responsibility for operating the screens falls to South Africa's World Cup organizing committee, which took charge of the 10 stadiums during the tournament.

Organizers' spokesman Jermaine Craig said he had spoken to the stadium broadcasting team about the incident.

"The goal was awarded and it happened relatively quickly," Craig said. "In retrospect, maybe it shouldn't have been shown. It was shown and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that."

Maingot said FIFA has not yet received feedback from its officials at the match about a mass confrontation between coaches and players behind the Mexico bench as the teams left the field at halftime.

Italian referee Rosetti was at the center of a melee trying to separate heated conversations that included Argentina coach Diego Maradona.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901&ver=us

Really hoopy frood Array title="ricardisimo is an unknown quantity at this point">

My genetics are starting to kick in, forcing me to say:
    Go Spain!!
    Why does God hate amputees?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82&dateline=127542714 7[/SIGPIC]

Spain was on the winning end of yet another poor call by the referees. I thought these guys were supposed to be the best in the world.

Really hoopy frood Array title="ricardisimo is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by xX-TSK-Xx View Post
    Spain was on the winning end of yet another poor call by the referees. I thought these guys were supposed to be the best in the world.
    I hope you're not talking about the offsides call. I saw the replay, and it was close, but mathematics is still mathematics, last I checked.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82&dateline=127542714 7[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
    I hope you're not talking about the offsides call. I saw the replay, and it was close, but mathematics is still mathematics, last I checked.
    Yeah the offsides. Looked clean to me. Spain was the better team and they showed it today. Still another poorly officiated match for both sides which has been par for the entire tourny.

This Cup is definitely not the poster child for good officiating... that much we have to concede. I'm obviously rooting for Spain, but the fact that Capdevilla managed to get Costa ejected in the Portugal game tells me something about the officiating. Then again, we still haven't seen anything this year as bad as "The Hand of God", so it just goes to show you these problems are pretty much always with us.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersinCA is an unknown quantity at this point">

Viva Espana!

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

There is going to be a first time world champ no matter who wins the final.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

I would love to see the Dutch win this final.

I really love watching the dynamic play of Arjen Robben down the right hand side. Wesley Schneider has really stood up. ( have been disappointed with Robin Van Persie's performance thus far) Dirk Kuyt may well be the man to stand up and be counted.

With Van Bommel and De Jong in the engine room there might well be just enough defensive firepower to upset Xavi, Xavi Alonso and Iniesta who have been absolutely clinical in their controlling of the past few games. If they cant then I think the Spanish will dominate the possession and eventually grind out a win.

Who else is keen for this final???

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

I will be going for the Netherlands tomorrow 2-1 .

Im sort of pulling for the Netherlands too but... Paul the octopus did pick Spain. He hath spoken.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersinCA is an unknown quantity at this point">

Espana!!!!! But oday belongs to Diego Forlan!!!

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Forlan was sensational again today in the minor final.

This German side is going to be awesome come next world cup. They have finished 3rd on pure youth and enthusiasm. Once they learn to play to a team system, especially in the mid field they will be a brute of a force to handle ( much like the spanish are at the moment)

Still would like to see the dutch win, but Spain has been a dominant force the last few games, plus the octopus has spoken.

Senior Member Array title="Akagi is an unknown quantity at this point">

I fully expect that Potter fellow to grab the golden snitch and win the cup for Gryffindor this time.

Senior Member Array title="Shea is an unknown quantity at this point"> Shea's Avatar

Anyone else watching the final?

What happens if nobody scores a goal? Does it go to shootout like in hockey?

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    Anyone else watching the final?

What happens if nobody scores a goal? Does it go to shootout like in hockey?
    yea penalty shootout. best out of 5...

Senior Member Array title="Shea is an unknown quantity at this point"> Shea's Avatar

Thanks Steel!

But when does the extra time end?? This thing seems like it's going to go on forever.

NM - they just said 7 minutes left ..

Spain are World Football Champions, they deserve it.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Spain scored a total of 8 goals in 7 games. How compelling.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Actually it is compelling. Spain played great all tournement and they played their style of ball. Control control control. No one, except for Switzerland, was able to break what the Spainish do. Then you get a game between two nations who have never won the cup before.

A sport is not all about scoring. Theres more to the games than that. Passing, intelligance, key substitutions, persistance, and endurance are all great parts of the game. A low score also brings with it drama and an edge of you seat feel because one goal can come at any time and make all the difference. You obviously don't appreciate the game but stop trying to ruin it for those of us that do.

Actually it is compelling. Spain played great all tournement and they played their style of ball. Control control control. No one, except for Switzerland, was able to break what the Spainish do. Then you get a game between two nations who have never won the cup before.

A sport is not all about scoring. Theres more to the games than that. Passing, intelligance, key substitutions, persistance, and endurance are all great parts of the game. A low score also brings with it drama and an edge of you seat feel because one goal can come at any time and make all the difference. You obviously don't appreciate the game but stop trying to ruin it for those of us that do.
    Agree 100%. TSK

Cassillis and Stecklenburg ( the goalkeepers) were awesome in keeping the final such a gut wrenching ordeal for the fans.

On this site we live and die by the steeler D's ferocity and capacity to smother the opposition. We expect nothing less ( hence the immortal steel curtain).

Soccer is played in the same mould where the team with the best defensive system usually prevails. Scoring opportunities arise from the ability to build pressure that ultimately leads to a mistake that is capatilised on.

The goal that settled the world cup final arose from a fast break down the right wing, a couple of quick passes and a small slip by the central defender who was under extreme pressure. That slip allowed iniesta to be onside and allowed him to sieze the opportunity.

A good finale to a highly enjoyable world cup (for me).

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Congrats to Spain and their fans !

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Actually a lot of people who know the game quite well thought that yesterday's final was a dreadfully played snoozefest. When yellow cards outnumber scoring chances to that degree it's not a great game.

From people who know the sport I've heard that while soccer is played by better athletes than ever before the current strategy in vogue in international play hurts the sport. Teams play not to lose moreso than to win. And that my friend makes for a painfully dull show no matter what your level of knowledge of any game might be.

And I'm not trying to ruin anything for you. Your sport hijacked my nations airwaves for the past month so I'm entitled to an opinion. And my opinion is soccer has potential, but it also needs some tweaks. But I doubt those tweaks will take place because it seems fairly obvious that soccer is arrogant and feels that we should adjust to it rather than it adjust itself to our tastes.

Fair enough. But don't expect to gain a big share of our market place with your sport. and I hope you can sell a lot of jerseys and posters in Ghana and Lisbon.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."