Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2010 World Cup Soccer

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Re: 2010 World Cup Soccer

Nothing is over...

2-1

US scores in under 3 minutes of the 2nd half.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

US ties it with under 10 left!

OMG!!! These refs are absolutely terrible.

Senior Member Array title="Dodt is on a distinguished road"> Dodt's Avatar

what the heck it should of counted

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

this ref should never be allowed in the USA... ever

The Slovenians have been real drama queens to boot...

At least they decided to show up in the 2nd half and scratch out a draw.

I just can't see how that last one was disallowed... offsides? no f$#@% way!

but to be fair, the refs were bad the whole game... so they were consistent there.

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    The Slovenians have been real drama queens to boot...

At least they decided to show up in the 2nd half and scratch out a draw.

I just can't see how that last one was disallowed... offsides? no f$#@% way!

but to be fair, the refs were bad the whole game... so they were consistent there.
    Understatement of thread so far! I hope that I have to eat my words in my earlier post, but we definitely could use some help from Algeria. With Slovenia sitting at four points right now, and if England wins, it will be tough going for us. I honestly, watching our defense play the first half, didn't think we had a snowballs chance in hell of tying it up. We did, and we should have won! Frustrating game to watch, now bring on Algeria!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
    Understatement of thread so far! I hope that I have to eat my words in my earlier post, but we definitely could use some help from Algeria. With Slovenia sitting at four points right now, and if England wins, it will be tough going for us. I honestly, watching our defense play the first half, didn't think we had a snowballs chance in hell of tying it up. We did, and we should have won! Frustrating game to watch, now bring on Algeria!
    Ya. they might have saved themselves from elimination today, but their future isn't entirely in their own hands now.

... and that's not a good place to be.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

We are in a decent spot right now, whether England ties or wins we are still ok. We have the weakest team in the group left to play. We still have a chance to go through no matter what happens, but we have to beat Algeria

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Yeah, it should end up being:

England: 7
    US: 5
    Slovenia: 4
    Algeria: 0

Oh, by the way, my efforts to protect myself from learning the outcome lasted exactly 2 minutes past the end of the game...
    Fire Goodell

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

Yeah as long as we take care of Algeria and the England and Slovania dont draw we will make it to the next round.

We win we get 5

England wins they get either 7 or 5 depending on this afternoons match and Slovania finishes with 4. We advance

Slovania wins they get 7 and England finishes with no more than 4. We advance

If they draw Slovenia walks away with 5 and England would have 5 most likely. So lets hope that we take care of buisness against Algeria and either Slovania or England comes down with swine flu or something.
    Last edited by xX-TSK-Xx; 06-18-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Woah. Algeria got the draw with England. Now the U.S. wins and they are in the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by xX-TSK-Xx View Post
    Woah. Algeria got the draw with England. Now the U.S. wins and they are in the next round.
    Correct, even with the refs blunder on our go ahead goal we still control our destiny. All we have to do is beat Algeria and we advance. However if we tie Algeria then Slovenia has to either beat England or tie them in a low scoring game.... I think that right....

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

England looked bloody awful.

THey are not the powerhouse everyone proclaimed pre tournament.

USA has a great chance of making it into the next round now. USA should dust up algeria and the Poms might get the job done against Slovenia.

Not looking forward to our game tonight. With Serbia rolling Germany I dont like our chances against GHANA. A loss tonight and the aussies are done.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I don't know enough about soccer to speculate. Can someone explain to me how that last goal was disallowed?
    Fire Goodell

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    I don't know enough about soccer to speculate. Can someone explain to me how that last goal was disallowed?
    Even the referee can't explain it form what I am hearing we got robbed.

I mean, there's not even an explanation? I thought maybe there was some weird interpretation (like the Troy INT that was not an INT against Manning in the '05 AFCCG that really WAS an INT) that some of the more astute soccer fans could explain....
    Fire Goodell

Well they whistle blew before Donavon even touched the ball on the free kick. That would indicate a penalty took place in the scrum of players while the ball was dead. Although if you look at the replay the only penalties you will see is Clint Dempsey, Mike Bradley and Jozey Altidore all being fouled. Simpley, the ref just blew the call and Edu's goal should have counted.

FIFA is reviewing the call and it is likely he will be suspended for the rest of the tourny.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/wor...ree061810.html

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    I mean, there's not even an explanation? I thought maybe there was some weird interpretation (like the Troy INT that was not an INT against Manning in the '05 AFCCG that really WAS an INT) that some of the more astute soccer fans could explain....
    Aparently FIFA likes controversy. FIFA does not require their officials to explain any calls that they make. So we will likely never hear anything from the guy about what he saw to be an infraction. Also, Landon Donovan said postgame that the official would not respond to our players when they inquired what happened. However that could be a language barrier issue, which makes issues in international matches doubly challenging.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Another howler of a decision today. Two games = two red cards for Australian soccer

With our world cup on the line Harry Kewell was given a straight red for the ball hitting him in the bicep whilst defending on the goal line. It cost us a player for the next 60 minutes plus the penalty.

We hung on for the 1 all draw but I think it almost certainly sealed our fate for the tournament.

Dont worry - we are going to see a lot more controversy before this is over

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Well, that's a shame...and i can't even say that it will work itself out, because even if the US wins and advances, those two lost points will hurt them in seeding in the knockout round.
    Fire Goodell

How can U.S. advance at World Cup?

The United States' tie against Slovenia on Friday, combined with England's tie with Algeria, have left Group C of the World Cup wide open headed into the final matches. The U.S. still controls its own destiny, and there are plenty of scenarios — including one that's sure to cause a stir — that could see the U.S. advance to the knockout stage or go home.

All four teams will play the final game of the group stage round on Wednesday, with the United States taking on Algeria and England facing Slovenia. Both matches are slated for 10 a.m. ET.

The United States currently stands tied for second place with England at two points, though the U.S. holds the tiebreaker edge due to more goals scored. Slovenia leads the group with four points and the Algerians are last with one. Teams receive three points for a win, one for a tie, and zero for a loss.

Total points is the first determining factor in who will advance, followed by goal differential and then total goals scored. If two or more teams are still tied once those factors have been taken into account, head-to-head result comes next. If that result was a tie, then it comes down to a drawing of lots by FIFA officials, a controversial possibility that might come to fruition for the U.S. and England.

U.S. advances with ...
    1. A win over Algeria. The U.S. would then have five points, enough to ensure one of the top two spots.
    2. A tie against Algeria and a Slovenia win over England. The U.S. would then have three points, good for second place behind Slovenia.
    3. A tie against Algeria and a Slovenia-England tie in which England does not outscore U.S. by two or more goals. The U.S. and England would then each have three points, and the U.S. would win the tiebreaker on total goals scored to finish second behind Slovenia's five points.

U.S. might advance with ...
    1. A tie against Algeria and a Slovenia-England tie in which England outscores the U.S. by exactly two goals. In that scenario, the U.S. and England would be equal on points, goal differential and goals scored, meaning the advancement would come down to a "drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee."

U.S. is eliminated with ...
    1. A loss to Algeria. The U.S. would then be stuck at two points, while Algeria would jump up to four. With Slovenia already having four, the U.S. would not have enough to move on.
    2. A tie against Algeria and an England win over Slovenia. The U.S. would then have only three points, while England's win would give them five and Slovenia would have four.
    3. A tie against Algeria and a Slovenia-England tie in which England outscores the U.S. by three or more goals. The U.S. and England would then each have three points, and the U.S. would lose the tiebreaker on total goals scored to finish third behind Slovenia and England.

Group schedule and results

June 12: England 1, United States 1

June 13: Slovenia 1, Algeria 0

June 18: United States 2, Slovenia 2; England 0, Algeria 0

June 23: United States vs. Algeria, 10 a.m. ET; England vs. Slovenia, 10 a.m. ET

Group C standings
    Team W-T-L Points GD GF
    Slovenia 1-1-0 4 +1 3
    United States 0-2-0 2 0 3
    England 0-2-0 2 0 1
    Algeria 0-1-1 1 -1 0

I say we just win and then we don't have to worry about England and Slovenia.

Quote Originally Posted by xX-TSK-Xx View Post
    I say we just win and then we don't have to worry about England and Slovenia.
    I agree. I just posted the article to show the different scenerios. Englands' scoreless draw with Algeria just threw in a little twist with tiebreakers.

If we can actually put together a complete game effort then we will go through easily... Can we do it? Who knows

Time for the US to man up, put a game together, beat a team we are better than, and ADVANCE!!!

Wow we just got robbed of a goal again...

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

WOW! Dempsey with 2 amazing chances hit's the post and misses a wide open net! The US is just out playing Algeria right now, but with no luck COME ON USA!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

miracle goal by US in extra time! what a stroke of luck when everything was going bad.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Awesome goal, awesome play the US soccer team. Great ball control/timing by Donovan and just great play all around.