Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 World Cup Soccer

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Re: 2010 World Cup Soccer

I can't wait for USA tomorrow at 2:30! Woo even though they have a poor defense and I don't see them getting very far I sure will cheer them on!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

We need to kick the limeys' asses like we did in the Revolution!

Senior Member Array title="SteelersinCA is an unknown quantity at this point">

Time to beat England like it's 1776!!!

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Game time soon baby, im pretty excited! I want this young team to prove themselves and go out and get a big upset today! USA USA!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="SteelersinCA is an unknown quantity at this point">

I'm so amped for this game, Budde scores 2 we win 2-0 F- England and the horse they rode in on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad start 1 to nil England after our sub par defense gives up that one in the 4th minute! ugh at least it's an early goal...

- Greg Lloyd

WOW!!! USA SCORED WOO! Dempsey get's the luckiest goal you'll ever see. Greene makes the stop, but it just rolls right out of his hands for the goal. 1 to 1! USA

- Greg Lloyd

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

What a great game. I had a bad feeling, which most people probably did, after the 4th minute England goal. Then the U.S. turned it up and was able to get some ball control going in the midfield. Then the Clint Dempsey, and I have to say it LUCKY goal (but a goal is a goal is a goal). The backfield was shaky for most of the first half and then came together, but all in all I am not comfortable yet with the defensive unit. Too many opportunities and open Brits, but I do have to understand though that this is England and they are one of the best teams when they can control the ball in the offensive end. The player of the game, and I am sure the announcers are probably announcing this right now, has got to be Tim Howard. He came up big, stopped a couple of non challenged shots, and proved why he is one of the best. Unyewoo (spelling?) had a heck of a game (definitely put some doubters at ease about fitness and game awareness), the forwards of Altidore and Findlay played well, just wish their speed could have been utilized more. All in all, 1-1 against England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If the U.S. squad doesn't make it to the next round, they have no one to blame but themselves.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

OH wow what a game for the USA! Come out give up a goal in the 4' of play and all was looking terrible. Pretty sloppy first half over all, but as always Howard came up big on several occasions tonight that kept the US in the game the entire 90 minutes! Dempsey scoring was great! It was lucky, but It doesn't matter they deserved it and it counts no matter what. England is a very good team and could be a final team down the stretch and getting a 1 to 1 tie is HUGE for the US taking that 1 point! Oh Altidore had an excellent chance in the second half, we could have won!

Defense needs to hold their man and quit getting stuck up field giving players a walk through right up to Howard. Other than the defense being poor great game!

- Greg Lloyd

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Absolute HOWLER of a goal.

Take the points and run.

We have a huge game against Germany tonight. It is on at 4.30am Australian time. I will be up watching it but I am hoping for a scenario like your guys. We will gladly take a draw and run to our next match.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post

Take the points and run.

We have a huge game against Germany tonight. It is on at 4.30am Australian time. I will be up watching it but I am hoping for a scenario like your guys. We will gladly take a draw and run to our next match.
    The US goal just shows anything can happen in the world cup and I wish the best of luck to the Australians!

- Greg Lloyd

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Take the points and run.

Good luck for your squad against the Krauts. Tough game ahead for you guys, but we tied England, so you guys can get a draw against Germany

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Not a fan at all...it's boring to watch, and I think I was even more bored when I played (although have to admit when we ran gassers when REAL football started, nobody on the team could keep up with me).
    What he said. I've never been able to understand the rest of the world's fanatical devotion to this sport. Like all slower action sports it probably much more fun to play than watch, but I just don't get it. The pace of the game is just torture. They say only football purists can appreciate really tight, defensive football games where very little scoring is done. EVERY soccer match makes me think of that. Even the highest scoring soccer matches seem tedious to watch in comparison to the rest of the major sports we have in the US. (Even baseball which has gotten especially slow over the last 15 years). Maybe the rest of the world enjoys it so much because the rest of the sports that we follow aren't televised as much in their countries. The world should just switch to indoor soccer to make it more exciting...lol

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Down 1 nil after 8 minutes to the Germans. Doesnt look good. The Germans looks very sharp and committed .

2 Nil after 28 minutes. This looks like it is going to be a long morning (5am) for me,

Smashed 4 nil. Our star player sent off and looking at a suspension for the rest for the rest of the pool matches.

All the excitement of the cup buildup has now been totally deflated. Its tough to wait four years to perform this badly.

Smashed 4 nil. Our star player sent off and looking at a suspension for the rest for the rest of the pool matches.

All the excitement of the cup buildup has now been totally deflated. Its tough to wait four years to perform this badly.
    Ugh a sad shame. Im sorry about the game and performance. I figured the outcome the German team looks strong this season and proved it today. I hope they can rebound in the second game for sure!

- Greg Lloyd

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Looking foward to Italia today .Should be a win for them, lets see .

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

Good news for us Yanks. Looks like Howard is going to be able to play against Slovenia.

U.S. team: Howard 'making progress'

ESPN.com news services

IRENE, South Africa -- No further tests are needed for goalkeeper Tim Howard and he is "making progress" recovering from bruised ribs, U.S. Soccer said Monday.

The team said that Howard is cleared to play against Slovenia.

U.S. Soccer had said Sunday that Howard would get treatment that day and evening and then a final decision would be made Monday.

Howard collided with Emile Heskey in Saturday's U.S.-England game and played the second half after having a cortisone injection.

Howard was injured when Heskey's foot slid into him in the 29th minute Saturday night. Howard was down for a while, saying he felt "in agony." When the game resumed, he grimaced several times.

Coach Bob Bradley had said Sunday he did not know the extent of Howard's injury or if his rib was broken.

Howard, the starter for Everton in the Premier League, is backed by Wolverhampton's Marcus Hahnemann on the U.S. team. Brad Guzan, the backup to Brad Friedel on Aston Villa, is the No. 3 American goalkeeper

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901&ver=us

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I thought the game was as exciting as it could be for soccer...it's just so "coiled spring" to me...and it hardly ever snaps. But the tension of a low scoring game has some appeal, and obviously playing England and the whole WC scene adds tons of energy to it. I'll continue to watch...

But I have to comments on those Goddamed Vuvuzelas. Those things need to be snapped off in the asses of each and every moron using them...it's uber annoying, and literally gave me a headache wathing the match...
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by xX-TSK-Xx View Post
    Good news for us Yanks. Looks like Howard is going to be able to play against Slovenia.

U.S. team: Howard 'making progress'

ESPN.com news services

IRENE, South Africa -- No further tests are needed for goalkeeper Tim Howard and he is "making progress" recovering from bruised ribs, U.S. Soccer said Monday.

The team said that Howard is cleared to play against Slovenia.

U.S. Soccer had said Sunday that Howard would get treatment that day and evening and then a final decision would be made Monday.

Howard collided with Emile Heskey in Saturday's U.S.-England game and played the second half after having a cortisone injection.

Howard was injured when Heskey's foot slid into him in the 29th minute Saturday night. Howard was down for a while, saying he felt "in agony." When the game resumed, he grimaced several times.

Coach Bob Bradley had said Sunday he did not know the extent of Howard's injury or if his rib was broken.

Howard, the starter for Everton in the Premier League, is backed by Wolverhampton's Marcus Hahnemann on the U.S. team. Brad Guzan, the backup to Brad Friedel on Aston Villa, is the No. 3 American goalkeeper

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901&ver=us
    This is good news for the squad. I was worried watching him go down against England, he was in pain. I have been drilled cleats up before playing and it hurts. I hope that the bruised ribs don't limit his movement too much, or that he is trying to cover up the fact. He is a great GK.

I was surprised to see Brad Guzan make the squad over Freidel. Freidel was our GK at one point, I beleive last world cup. Why would we take his backup instead of him? My only guess is that Freidel didn't want to play second fidel to Howard. Either way, bring on Slovenia and Algeria

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Italy about to play

Italy off to a slow start.

The dutch looked good.

The brazilians werent as dominant as I expected them to be.

Portugal looked flat.

I am eager to see what Spain plays like.

At the moment, this early in the tournament, the two standouts appear to be Germany and Holland.

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

Dang the Swiss beat Spain. Wish I could have watched that one. I thought Spain was going to blow the Swiss out and decided to get my yardwork done.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xX-TSK-Xx View Post
    Dang the Swiss beat Spain. Wish I could have watched that one. I thought Spain was going to blow the Swiss out and decided to get my yardwork done.
    Gives the US hope. But, apparently (since I really don't follow this and am only catching up on past history now) their Achilles Heel is Eastern European defenses, which is what they face in their next match.
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Gives the US hope. But, apparently (since I really don't follow this and am only catching up on past history now) their Achilles Heel is Eastern European defenses, which is what they face in their next match.
    The U.S. has had problems before with that, plus strong defenders able to muscle out our forwards because we are usually small upfront. We are alot different this year on offense, a heck of alot more speed than in the past. Plus, I think Bradley is a heck of a skipper and is going to do his homework against the defenses we face. One thing I would do is leave Altidore on the bench until about 20' into the second half then sub him in. The defense will be tired and his speed would eat them alive (this all coming from the peanut gallery of course)

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

USA - Slovenia time!! GO USA!!!

I'm actually excited about the match...a SOCCER match!

Now I have to play the game of avoiding hearing the outcome until I can get home and watch it on the DVR...
    Fire Goodell

our defense is horrible...

Down 2-0 in first half. Enjoy watching the upcoming U.S. - Algeria game, because that is the last one you will see the U.S. play in. Defense is horrible