Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Ten Expansion

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

Big Ten Expansion

I'm a Buckeye fan and a Big Ten guy so I am excited at the possibilty of expanding the conference. I think a conference championship game is neccesary and by expanding the Big Ten could put one into place.

To me the perfect scenario (for the Big Ten) would be to add five new schools. My prefered five would be 1)Notre Dame 2)Nebrsaka 3)Missouri 4)Rutgers 5)Pitt. Now Pitt and Notre Dame are unlikely to join but if the Big Ten could get 5 teams they could create two 8-team divisions.

Something like:

West: Notre Dame, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois and Northwestern

East: Penn State, Pitt, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Rutgers, Purdue and Indianna

Like I said I'm a Big Ten guy so I lean toward improvement of the conference over the entire NCAA field. I'm curious to see how fans of other conferences and the Big Ten feel about possible expansion. Do you like it? Do you think it will be good for college football? Does anyone have a scenario for expansion that they prefer?

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

They are actually courting Texas...they'd love to have a bigger impact in the South, and if you add Missouri, why not Texas? There's no rule that says the conference has to be comprised of Midwest teams.

I'm 100% all for it as along as they land competitive teams...I don't want to see any bottom-feeders brought into the conference.
    Fire Goodell

Wildcat Steelers fan Array title="steelersfanman92 is an unknown quantity at this point"> steelersfanman92's Avatar

I do not see Pitt joining because of Big East basketball. I do like the idea of Pitt playing in the Big Ten because of the greater TV exposure and due to the fact that living in Indiana I would get to see them a lot more, but in the end I do not think that it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersfanman92 View Post
    I do not see Pitt joining because of Big East basketball. I do like the idea of Pitt playing in the Big Ten because of the greater TV exposure and due to the fact that living in Indiana I would get to see them a lot more, but in the end I do not think that it will happen.
    Yeah. Like I said Pitt and Notre Dame are probably unlikely. I have also heard rumors of, as revs said, Texas and also Maryland, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Cincinnati and even Vanderbilt. Personally if Notre Dame and Pitt turn down an invitation I would like to Georgia Tech amd Cinci join.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xX-TSK-Xx View Post
    Yeah. Like I said Pitt and Notre Dame are probably unlikely. I have also heard rumors of, as revs said, Texas and also Maryland, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Cincinnati and even Vanderbilt. Personally if Notre Dame and Pitt turn down an invitation I would like to Georgia Tech amd Cinci join.

I hope your right about Maryland. I would love nothing more than to get their asses out of the ACC. Doubt it happens though

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

But does Maryland really bring anything to the table? I don't see them adding enough to the TV market to justify slicing up the pie further.

The problem with Texas, GT, etc. is that the travel distances would be too much for the non-revenue sports.

JoePa will try to keep Pitt out and the Big Ten will probably be OK with that because Pitt doesn't give them any new territory. Penn State and Pitt both have statewide fan bases so they're just dividing up the revenues further.

Mizzou and Nebraska are definitely good candidates. They add new territory, are adjacent to Big Ten territory, and have solid athletic programs. Rutgers maybe, since they don't have fans but they do have the NYC television market. UConn is an ESPN-manufactured fraud but they'd bring a lot to the table in MBB and their WBB program is a revenue-generating sport. That gets you to 15 but I don't see a good 16th team out there. (Kentucky/Vandy wouldn't leave the SEC and Cincy/Louisville don't have the academics).

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

The championship game is definately the goal.

I think you only need one more team right now. Two divisions of 6 teams each is plenty, imo. That is what the SEC has, and I believe that is the model. Although, I have heard of the "super conferences" you're alluding to, and that could be the eventual future.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

This

Pitt would be better off staying in the big east in terms of basketball...now idk what would be best for them in their other sports, but basketball wise staying in big east is best
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

The arguement that I have heard for Pitt and Maryland is that by adding one of them you give Penn State a real interconference rival. Other than Ohio State and maybe Iowa the last few seasons they really havn't had a true rival school.

Member Array title="TXSteelerFan is an unknown quantity at this point"> TXSteelerFan's Avatar

You don't want to see Texas in the Big-10? If Texas goes to the Big-10 you can almost bet your money Texas A&M will be hot on their tracks to follow along. I think a match against OSU once a year would be awesome. I'd also like to see Texas Tech move to the Big-10. A lot more kids would get to see Texas Tech on TV which in return would boost the amount of kids they would get into there programs. Right now the Big-12 has a terrible TV slots for all teams in the Big-12.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Also, the Big ten currently pays out more than any other conference in revenue sharing from their TV deals, I think the figure WAS $20 million a school and is now going to be $22 million a school. Only ND wouldn't stand to benefit since they have their own NBC deal...
    Fire Goodell

Member Array title="TXSteelerFan is an unknown quantity at this point"> TXSteelerFan's Avatar

What’s bad is when I live maybe hour and half away from Austin, Texas and I can't even pick up the game on any local stations unless i have College Game Day Pass... Terrible! That goes for Texas A&M, and Texas Tech games also. The Big-12 is looking bad right about now as Texas is one of its biggest revenue pullers (along with Oklahoma)

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

It'll probably end up being someone like Iowa State.

SteelerSal
    I like the idea but I would rather see some of the non elite conferences move their elite programs up...like say a Boise State for example, and lesson the amount of conferences.

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White
    Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    They are actually courting Texas...they'd love to have a bigger impact in the South, and if you add Missouri, why not Texas? There's no rule that says the conference has to be comprised of Midwest teams.

I'm 100% all for it as along as they land competitive teams...I don't want to see any bottom-feeders brought into the conference.
    Yeah they would, but the problem is I thought I heard somewhere that adding Texas unless a change of expansion rules happens would violate the rule requiring any new team to be in a Big Ten Territory or boarding one.

Well some of the Big East teams may not be competitive in the Big Ten right way. Va Tech has been the only truely consistant team out of the new ACC teams.

Georgia Tech would make no sense because of Geographics. Plus I am not certain if they meet the AAU requirement.

Thing is, if the Big East loses enough teams, the Football Conference will likely end up folding leaving Pitt possibly with no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    But does Maryland really bring anything to the table? I don't see them adding enough to the TV market to justify slicing up the pie further.

The problem with Texas, GT, etc. is that the travel distances would be too much for the non-revenue sports.

JoePa will try to keep Pitt out and the Big Ten will probably be OK with that because Pitt doesn't give them any new territory. Penn State and Pitt both have statewide fan bases so they're just dividing up the revenues further.

Mizzou and Nebraska are definitely good candidates. They add new territory, are adjacent to Big Ten territory, and have solid athletic programs. Rutgers maybe, since they don't have fans but they do have the NYC television market. UConn is an ESPN-manufactured fraud but they'd bring a lot to the table in MBB and their WBB program is a revenue-generating sport. That gets you to 15 but I don't see a good 16th team out there. (Kentucky/Vandy wouldn't leave the SEC and Cincy/Louisville don't have the academics).
    The only thing that they would bring in market wise is the DC/Baltimore area. That's it. Basketball they would improve that conference dramatically. However, they have great rivalries with ACC teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    This

Pitt would be better off staying in the big east in terms of basketball...now idk what would be best for them in their other sports, but basketball wise staying in big east is best
    In terms of Basketball yes, I agree. But again, as I said, what is Pitt supposed to do if the Football Conference folds?

The arguement that I have heard for Pitt and Maryland is that by adding one of them you give Penn State a real interconference rival. Other than Ohio State and maybe Iowa the last few seasons they really havn't had a true rival school.
    Well, those two plus Michigan. To some degree Minnesota is developing into a rivlary. Michigan State isn't a rival in my book yet. Even if they play every year.

Quote Originally Posted by TXSteelerFan View Post
    You don't want to see Texas in the Big-10? If Texas goes to the Big-10 you can almost bet your money Texas A&M will be hot on their tracks to follow along. I think a match against OSU once a year would be awesome. I'd also like to see Texas Tech move to the Big-10. A lot more kids would get to see Texas Tech on TV which in return would boost the amount of kids they would get into there programs. Right now the Big-12 has a terrible TV slots for all teams in the Big-12.
    Texas A&M and Tech would most certainly leave, but again, do they meet the AAU Requirement? Plus geographically it makes no sense unless you can bring in teams like Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Kansas to. Of which those teams bring in nothing more then a sports tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    It'll probably end up being someone like Iowa State.
    Iowa State makes great sense. Considering they have a rivalry with Iowa already going. I could see them working something with a Western Division.
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

Senior Member Array title="MasterOfPuppets is on a distinguished road">

Yow On Maryland/Big Ten Rumors: “We’re Not Going Anywhere”
    Jim Young
    Jim Young | Mailbag
    ACCSports.com
    May 26, 2010

With the Big Ten considering expanding, the recent weeks have been filled with speculation about schools switching leagues.

One of the more popular rumors had Maryland joining the Big Ten.

Don’t bet on it, said Maryland athletic director Debbie Yow. She addressed the topic during an interview on David Glenn’s afternoon radio show.

“As far as I’m concerned, it’s a waste of time,” Yow said of the speculation. “We’re not going anywhere.”

Yow acknowledged that, as AD, she doesn’t have the final say in the matter.

“I certainly could be overruled, but I don’t think that I will (be),” Yow said. “I never have been in the 16 years that I’ve been here.”

“It isn’t all about the money,” she continued. “It’s really about more than that. We love the ACC. We’re part of it and we’re going to say a part of it, as far as I know.”

During the wide-ranging interview, Yow touched on several other topics, including:

The importance of the ACC TV deal; her support for the league’s revenue-sharing system; the expansion of the NCAA basketball tournament; and the BCS system.

Here are a few more quotes from the conversation. Scroll down further for an audio link to the full interview.

Yow on the importance of the timing in the ACC’s TV negotiations:
    “I’m really glad we were next in line to negotiate a long-term contract. It’s better to be in the front of this line than at the end of it.”

Yow on leagues that don’t have a revenue-sharing system:
    “That makes for very, very bad working relationships. You’re always sitting at the table as an AD trying to figure out if the vote you’re going to cast is going to advantage your school.”

Yow on whether the NCAA tournament will keep expanding:
    “My guess is we’re probably going to be larger later. We’re just not larger right now.”

http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-y...g-anywhere.php
    Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 06-05-2010 at 04:44 AM.

Looks like we'll know soon if Mizzou and Nebraska are serious about joining the Big Ten.

Report: Huskers, Mizzou face ultimatum

ESPN.com news services

The Big 12 has drawn a line in the sand for at least two member schools.

The conference, amid a chorus of story lines that would all significantly change the face of big-league college sports, has imposed a deadline of Friday for Nebraska and Missouri to state their intentions on whether they intend to bolt for the Big Ten, with the possibility of an extension for a decision by next Tuesday, The Austin American-Statesman has reported, citing two sources.

The Big 12's university presidents decided on imposing the ultimatum, two highly placed officials within two of the conference schools said, according to the newspaper.

"Nebraska has until 5 p.m. on Friday to tell us what they're going to do," one school official said, according to the The American-Statesman. "The same deal for Missouri. They have to tell us they're not going to the Big Ten."

A Dallas Morning News report also cited a deadline for the Cornhuskers but said it was within two weeks.

"I've talked to the Pac-10," said the Big 12 school administrator, according to the Austin newspaper. "There is an invitation. When it comes, it'll come fast."

Another political figure connected to Texas told The American-Statesman: "I know the war drums are beating. This is way beyond gossip."

Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott, speaking at meetings in San Francisco, laid out several scenarios Friday to its schools' athletic directors, one of which would include adding six Big 12 schools, with Texas among them.

Scott was to brief school presidents and chancellors Sunday morning.

Big 12 commissioner Don Beebe said Friday he is "comfortable" the league will remain intact.

Beebe said a "process" had been put in place by Big 12 presidents to ensure the long-term viability of a conference that has greatly increased revenue for its members, but still not kept pace in television dollars with the other big leagues.

The Big 12 presidents are scheduled to meet again in October. It could hardly be longer away than February, when they meet just before Beebe begins negotiations on a new cable deal with Fox.

"I am comfortable," Beebe said as four days of Big 12 meetings in Kansas City, Mo., wrapped up. "There's still a process we're going through but based on the conversations we had I think we're in a very good position."

He would not discuss how the process will keep the Big 12 intact.

"The process that has been set is firm. But I'm not going to engage in what that is," he said.

As a sales pitch to keep the league together, Beebe spent the week explaining that he expected huge increases in rights fees from both Fox and ESPN. Unfortunately for those wanting to keep the Big 12 intact, its more lucrative contract with ESPN runs through the 2015-16 academic year.

The greatly staggered contract dates are not working in the Big 12's favor as it seeks to keep up with other leagues.

"We have had analysis and projections that look like we're going to be every bit as well compensated in the future," Beebe said.

Under their present television deals, Big 12 members received between $7 million and $10 million each last year, depending on how many appearances each school made. The Big Ten, enriched by its Big Ten cable network, distributed some $22 million to each member last season.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5257088
    Last edited by xX-TSK-Xx; 06-06-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Link

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Well, now I hear the latest is that the Pac-10 is going to become a 16-team superconference by taking Texas, Texas Tech, A&M, Oklahoma, OSU and Colorado.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5257774

Then I guess the rest of the Big 12 probably ets split up between the ACC and Big 10.

I would actually like that for three reasons:

- One less conference would mean one less automatic BCS bid, so hopefully the Boise States of the world don't get hosed in favor of the #22 ACC winner as often

- An 8/8 team split would mean the Pac-10 teams only have to play 7 conference games instead of 9. I think that only playing TWO games outside the conference all season was a big reason why the BCS title game became such a "PAC-10 SUCKS" ... "NO, BIG TEN SUCKS" hype contest instead of having any actual indicators of relative conference strength.

- No more of that shit where Texas or Oklahoma cakewalks to 11-0 and a spot in the title game because in the rest of the conference, 10 teams flat-out suck and the other one is ranked #19 with a 7-4 record. I know that's gotten better lately, but all through the '90s and the start of this decade, you could be guaranteed that would happen half the time. You could say the same thing about USC for most of the 2000s too. So, no more of that horseshit.

Thee Conservative Steeler Array title="steel9guy is on a distinguished road"> steel9guy's Avatar

Any way you look at it the Big 12 is in major trouble.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel9guy View Post
    Any way you look at it the Big 12 is in major trouble.
    I think that the Big East will soon be in trouble as well

Gordon Gee email sheds some light on the situation...I also stand corrected...looks like the BT paid out 22 mil in "08...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_600949.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio — An e-mail sent by the president of Ohio State to the Big Ten's commissioner hints that the conference is pursuing Texas as part of its expansion plans.

Ohio State president Gordon Gee told Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany in an April 20 e-mail that Gee had spoken with University of Texas president Bill Powers. In the e-mail obtained by The Associated Press, Gee writes that Powers would welcome a call to say they have a "Tech" problem.

It's not clear what that means, but Texas Tech is one of Texas' rivals in the Big 12 Conference.

As far as any school saying they aren't interested in the Big Ten, ONLY Notre Dame fits the bill. As for Maryland, they can say it's not about the money, but they are having economic trouble now carrying all 27 major sports. The jump the the BT solves that all at once.

GT moves them into the SE, so I could see that. I doubt Iowa State is of interest, because they bring little to the table...I'm not sure about academics (which is another MAJOR appeal of Maryland), and that would play a big role in the Big Ten's decision to extend an invite.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="atlsteelers is an unknown quantity at this point">

I am all for conferences adding teams to get to 12 to have a conference championship game but screw the super conferences. i am a SEC guy but i enjoy the fact that there are regional confernces. So OSU will play Michagan once every 2 or 3 years if OSU is in Big 10 east and Michigan is in the Big west? If the super confernce has 16 teams do you still schedule out of confence games? or is just limited to OSU scheduling akron (everybody needs a cup cake)? so you throw away the USC (or other big time game) to play Missouri?

Woah...update!

Looks like the Big 12 has issued an ultimatum to Nebraska and Missouri...they have until Friday to stay in the Big XII or get the boot. Seems the Pac-10 has extended invitations to Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and either Colorado or Baylor. Word is that Texas and Missouri are more interested in the Big Ten, and that Notre Dame is as intrested in joining the BT as they've ever been.

Things is gettin' a mite bit interesting!
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post
    I am all for conferences adding teams to get to 12 to have a conference championship game but screw the super conferences. i am a SEC guy but i enjoy the fact that there are regional confernces. So OSU will play Michagan once every 2 or 3 years if OSU is in Big 10 east and Michigan is in the Big west? If the super confernce has 16 teams do you still schedule out of confence games? or is just limited to OSU scheduling akron (everybody needs a cup cake)? so you throw away the USC (or other big time game) to play Missouri?
    OSU is committed to keeping revenue in-state, so they will continue to play Akron, Kent, Toledo, BGSU, Miami and Cincinnati for the foreseeable future....and there's nothing wrong with that, as they are all D-1 schools that will at least be competitive (and, in Cinci's case, sometimes VERY competitive), unlike SOME schools in SOME conferences that schedule multiple absolute jokey tier-two creampuffs to warm up on.

UM and OSU will end up in the same division no matter what, and will always play due to the rivalry. True, a shift like this will force some teams to be more ballsy with their 3-4 OOC games, but that's what people want.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="atlsteelers is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    UM and OSU will end up in the same division no matter what, and will always play due to the rivalry. True, a shift like this will force some teams to be more ballsy with their 3-4 OOC games, but that's what people want.

the super conference team members may only get 1 or 2 OOC games at most. but its all speculation. we will see what happens... i guess the big 10 has a little inferiority complex going on so they gotta go try to steal the best of the big 12...hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post
    the super conference team members may only get 1 or 2 OOC games at most. but its all speculation. we will see what happens... i guess the big 10 has a little inferiority complex going on so they gotta go try to steal the best of the big 12...hehehe
    MAYBE....I'd guess maybe they'd add one IC game and drop one OC game.

Just adding ND would make it THE conference for football, prestige and revenue-wise. If they snag Texas, too, it's the football conference competition-wise, too.

If the Pac-10 manages to secure Oklahoma and another top-tier former Big 12 team or two, they may be the next best conference.
    Fire Goodell

The trouble I see with trying to get Texas is I think they would prefer to stay in a conference with their rivals Oklahoma, Texas Tech and A&M. If the Pac 10 offeres the six Big 12 South schools membership, I think they would be hard pressed to turn it down.

The trouble I see with trying to get Texas is I think they would prefer to stay in a conference with their rivals Oklahoma, Texas Tech and A&M. If the Pac 10 offeres the six Big 12 South schools membership, I think they would be hard pressed to turn it down.
    I'll take Nebraska and Missouri. This thing is happening one way or the other, so I'd prefer the best competition available. The Cornhuskers and Mizzou are way better than the Terps and Jackets in the long run...and the geography works. Toss in Pitt, ND and a school to be named later and it's solid.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="MasterOfPuppets is on a distinguished road">

Pac-10 expansion: What the new ACC-ESPN deal means (breaking down the dollars)

Posted by Jon Wilner on May 17th, 2010 at 11:46 am | Categorized as ACC basketball, Big 12 football, Big Ten football, ESPN, Pac-10 Conference, Pac-10 expansion, Pac-10 football

Potentially significant news on the Pac-10 expansion front, courtesy of the ACC …

The league just reached an agreement with ESPN that topped expectations and, in the Hotline’s humble view, makes Pac-10 expansion less likely.

The better deal the Pac-10 can cut as a 10-team league, the less reason there is to expand.

According to the SportsBusiness Journal, the ACC just sealed a 12-year, $1.86 billion deal with ESPN. It includes broadcast rights for football and basketball and averages out to $155 million/season.

Based on conversations with sources well-versed in college sports TV deals, I don’t expect the Pac-10 to equal the ACC’s per-year figure for two reasons:

1. The ACC footprint covers more TV households than the Pac-10 footprint.

2. ACC basketball is worth much, much more than Pac-10 basketball, if for no other reason than the two North Carolina-Duke games each season.

But the fact that the ACC’s new deal, which takes effect for the 2011-12 school year, is more than double its existing contract ($67 million annually) … and the fact that Fox was interested enough to join the fray, thus creating a bidding war … bodes well for the Pac-10.

Also boding well for the Pac-10: That ESPN did not get the NCAA Tournament broadcast rights and, as a result, has money to spend

Currently, the Pac-10’s TV deal with Fox is worth approximately $43 million annually — a paltry figure when compared to the Big Ten and SEC (more below).

If the Pac-10 can follow the ACC’s double-our-deal lead and reach the $100 million mark … perhaps in partnership with the Big 12 … then the league will begin to approach its revenue goals, according to sources.

And I believe commish Larry Scott can corral in excess of $100 million annually when the league goes to market sometime next winter, in part because the current deal with Fox is artificially low — not nearly as lucrative as it should be given the population within the league’s footprint.

In other words: The Pac-10’s revenue ceiling is higher relative to its current deal than the ACC’s. (On an absolute basis, for the reasons noted above, the ACC’s ceiling is higher.)

And remember, there’s more to annual revenue than just the TV deal. Bowl payouts are also part of the equation — as is a football championship game, which is a distinct possibility for the Pac-10 (even without expansion) and would add another $12 – 15 million annually to the conference pot.

Combine a lucrative new TV deal with a football title game and the bowl payouts and better branding and sponsorship and, in theory, the league could climb into the $135 – $150 million range in annual revenue.

At that point, the Pac-10 CEOs would raise a glass to commish Larry Scott, in addition to giving him a raise.

Now, about those numbers …

Here are the current football TV deals for the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC and ACC in comparison to the Pac-10, based on various reports:

Pac-10 current deal: $43 million annually.

ACC old deal: $67 million annually.
    ACC new deal: $155 million annually (football and basketball).

Big 12 current deal: $73 million annually.

Big Ten current deal: $165 million annually.

SEC current deal: $205 million annually.
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...n-the-dollars/

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

The Texas Legislature is throwing a monkey wrench into it. The other Texas schools won't be allowed to move without Baylor--there are 15 legislators committed to blocking the PAC-16 if Baylor isn't included.