Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Ten Expansion

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Yep... ACC basketball rules over everything!!

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    Except football...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I think that's why he said ACC basketball. I could be wrong though.

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White
    Right now I would go for the Big Ten adding Pitt, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Nebraska, and Missouri. The others I would consider are Uconn and Rutgers. It would be great to add WVU,

Right now this is how I would look to see The divisions break down
    East
    Penn State
    Ohio State
    Pittsburgh
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Syracuse
    Notre Dame
    Purdue

West
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Iowa
    Wisconsin
    Northwestern
    Indiana
    Illinois
    Nebraska

This project is liquid at this point. It's going to be hard to figure out how to keep the rivlaries in Indiana together while figuring what would be the best geographic fit.
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I think that's why he said ACC basketball. I could be wrong though.
    I'll type it slowly for you:
    E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G would include basketball AND football.

As far as SCM's proposal, I like it with the possible exception of Syracuse. They bring a ton of b-ball to the table, but are comparable with Indiana on the gridiron.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="SteelersinCA is an unknown quantity at this point">

Re: Big Ten Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    If anyone thinks basketball, or any other sport makes a hill of beans difference in this, you're just plain wrong. As Colin Cowherd pointed out this morning, Kansas one of the preeminent basketball programs in the nation, isn't being courted by ANYONE. UNC, the preeminent bball program in the nation makes 16 mil/yr. Texas makes that in 2 home football games with one of them being against North Texas. Football is what's driving this train. Nebraska and Mizzou would be good for the Big 10, but whoever lands the Texas conglomerate is the real winner.

I think the NCAA will have to go to a playoff if there are super-conferences simply because they will have lost all control. It's gonna be a fun ride.

Reports are Nebraska in Big 10 by Friday, that almost guarantees Texas is going Pac 10.

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
    Reports are Nebraska in Big 10 by Friday, that almost guarantees Texas is going Pac 10.
    Wow didn't think anything would happen this soon.

Senior Member Array title="atlsteelers is an unknown quantity at this point">

i heard that this morning on the radio too. money is the driving force in college football right now. about time to pay the players.

Nebraska and Missouri have no choice...they either join the Big 12, or they get the boot...they were issued an ultimatum. Wonder how this will play out for the '10 schedule. If the teams that shifted conferences have to keep the existing schedule, that's gonna be rough. Think the Big 12 refs are going to be kind to the Huskers and Mizzou?
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Nebraska and Missouri have no choice...they either join the Big 12, or they get the boot...they were issued an ultimatum. Wonder how this will play out for the '10 schedule. If the teams that shifted conferences have to keep the existing schedule, that's gonna be rough. Think the Big 12 refs are going to be kind to the Huskers and Mizzou?
    i am sure they are going to stick with the 10' schedule. but nebreska fans will tell that they already got screwed by the officials last year in the big 12 championship game on that game ending fieldgoal. i doubt that an official would take "revenge" but you never know. most likely scenerio is they blow a call because thats what they do and then the conspiracy folks will jump all over it.

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post
    i am sure they are going to stick with the 10' schedule. but nebreska fans will tell that they already got screwed by the officials last year in the big 12 championship game on that game ending fieldgoal. i doubt that an official would take "revenge" but you never know. most likely scenerio is they blow a call because thats what they do and then the conspiracy folks will jump all over it.
    I would imagine they are going to stick with 2010. It's too late now to readjust schedules. Especially when they have to formulate the new scheduling rules for the Big Ten. The 2011 and 2012 Schedules however are set in the Big Ten, but those can be adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    I'll type it slowly for you:
    E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G would include basketball AND football.

As far as SCM's proposal, I like it with the possible exception of Syracuse. They bring a ton of b-ball to the table, but are comparable with Indiana on the gridiron.
    Syracuse I was thinking might be better for Basketball though. But again, what are they supposed to do if the Big East gets raided? I wouldn't be surprised if things go accordingly that South Florida ends up bolting for the ACC or SEC. Although Football is the driving force in this one, the conference if things played out well might able to nab New York as a future home of the Big Ten Basketball Tournament. Although I don't see why not just have it in Chicago now. That's the biggest media market of the entire current conference set up.

No surprises there. I had a feeling that would be put in the conference if the Big Ten welcomes them. I think the Big XII now is doomed. A merger with the Mountain West maybe in their best interests now.

The SEC refs already screw over their own conference teams if they are threatening to knock off a potential NC contender...I'm thinking Missouri and Nebraska are absolutely "marked men" this year in their IC games. That sucks for all involved...

As for 'Cuse, the BT would love their B-ball draw and academics (and people are ignoring that...the Big Ten is a serious academic conference). Syracuse was ranked as the 58th best tier one National University in the country this year by US News and World Report. Pitt is attractive for all the same reasons...and their geography is better. But Syracuse hasn't been a football powerhouse since the days of Jim Brown, and Pitt (although better as of late) hasn't contended for a NC since the Marino days.
    Fire Goodell

Nebraska to bolt for the Big Ten, The 6 Schools Rumored for the Pac 10 appear also ready to bolt, and Missouri I would imagine is next. It appears it's the end of the Big XII as we know it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5268408

Wow...now they don't want Missouri...I'm surprised but I guess it makes sense since they aren't particularly strong in either football or basketball...Nebraska is a good get, and is a good fit geographically. My guess is Big Ten makes a play for ND and one other team..they'll need to do this two teams at a time and the Domers have to be the big prize for the Big Ten.

I think the Big Ten spurred this whole thing simply by making it public knowledge that they WERE expanding. It forced all the other players hands...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Dodt is on a distinguished road"> Dodt's Avatar

now we get to see what happens to the rest of the big 12

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

So if the BIG 10, which is really the BIG 11, does indeed get Nebraska, will they ever consider changing the nomenclature?

I realize they would want to keep their own identity because a NEW BIG 12 wouldn't fly, but they are/will be more that 10.

I was hoping we'd land Notre Dame, but they have a good deal for themselves. If all these changes start happening, they will inevitably need to join somewhere, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post

I was hoping we'd land Notre Dame, but they have a good deal for themselves. If all these changes start happening, they will inevitably need to join somewhere, imo.
    I think in order to land ND the Big 10 has to pillage the Big East to force them to break up as well. The best scenario is to go after Rutgers and Syracuse because you lock down a NY market, in my opinion. However, they have to decide how many dead weight teams ND is worth.

I think in order to land ND the Big 10 has to pillage the Big East to force them to break up as well. The best scenario is to go after Rutgers and Syracuse because you lock down a NY market, in my opinion. However, they have to decide how many dead weight teams ND is worth.
    Replace Rutgers with Pitt. I think if they were to bring in Pitt and then the Pac 16 goes through, then you will land them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
    Replace Rutgers with Pitt. I think if they were to bring in Pitt and then the Pac 16 goes through, then you will land them.
    What does Pitt get the Big 10? It's not that strong of a team in football, which is what this is all about, so let's not even talk about their soccer or basketball programs or women's ice dancing. They already have the majority of the Pitt market locked up in their coverage now. Rutgers guarantees them the entire NY market which opens a whole new revenue stream. As far as rivalries go, I agree, Pitt would be great. But it's about cash.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Dodt View Post
    now we get to see what happens to the rest of the big 12
    Same thing that happened with the Big East a few years ago

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Colorado leaves BIG 12 for the PAC-10.

and so it begins...

Seems like a good fit for the PAC-10. Better than a Texas, imo. Although they may end up with all of those too.
    Updated Jun 10, 2010 1:51 PM ET
    The Colorado Buffaloes have bolted from the Big 12, accepting an invitation Thursday to become the 11th member of the Pac-10 Conference.

It's the first expansion of the league since it added Arizona and Arizona State in 1978. More teams could follow Colorado from the Big 12 to the Pac-10. Reports say Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State could accept invitations soon.

Colorado's move was first reported by The Sporting News.

Before the Buffaloes jumped ship to another conference, Nebraska looked poised to become the first team to leave the Big 12, possibly exiting for the Big Ten as soon as Friday.

With Colorado gone and Nebraska on the verge of maybe moving on, this could seriously damage remaining members' hopes to keep the Big 12 intact. Schools such as Missouri, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State might be left on the sidelines.

“This is an historic moment for the Conference, as the Pac-10 is poised for tremendous growth," Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott said in a statement. "The University of Colorado is a great fit for the Conference both academically and athletically."

A press conference is scheduled for Friday at 1 p.m. ET.

The official statement offered no information about when Colorado would begin playing in the Pac-10. The Daily Camera reported earlier Thursday that it would take effect for the 2012 season.

“On behalf of The University of Colorado students, faculty, alumni and fans, we are proud to accept this invitation from the Pac-10 and join the most prestigious academic and athletic conference in the nation,“ Colorado Chancellor Philip P. DiStefano said in a statement.

Texas and Texas A&M officials are scheduled to meet to discuss the future of their programs. Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds has said he wants to keep the Big 12 together.

Baylor and Texas Tech officials have said that even if the Big 12 breaks apart, they want to remain with Texas and Texas A&M as members of the same conference.

The Pac-10 currently consists of Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington and Washington State.

Big Ten and Notre Dame are officially in talks. Here's the interesting bit...word is that if they land the Domers, they are done. And that makes sense...it gives them 12, adds two prestigious programs both very much in the Midwest, and they can add their conference championship game. Also, (and I wasn't aware of this), the Big Ten TV deal is worth MORE than the exclusive NBC deal they currently have in place. I have a feeling the deal will get done and I'm VERY happy with that if it happens.

Plus, if the "Big Twelve" is, um....no longer being used, why not? It's accurate.
    Fire Goodell

adding notre dame would be a major coup for the big 10. with the addition of nebreska you will have a real nice conference. no need to expand to 16 and share all of that mad money that you all are making. maybe somebody can finally challenge OSU.

Wouldn't the addition of Nebraska and ND give them 13? I was under the impression Nebraska was a done deal.

I think 16 still is the number the Big Ten will stop at even as things progress.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

The Big 10 has coveted Notre Dame forever. Notre Dame has felt that they are too good for a conference, but it would be in the best interest of Notre Dame football to join the Big Whatever-It-Will-Be-Called. Winning the Conference Championship would ensure then a BCS game. Even just making it to the Big 10 Championship Game could yield a BCS game.

And lets say the Big 10 adds both ND and Nebraska. The don't HAVE to add another team to make 14. They can do it with 13, an unbalanced division. I don't think the rules state that you need an even number of teams in each division, just that you need 12 minimum.

But if they were to add another team to make it equal, I would like Pitt (won't happen, B10 already has the market, JoePa will protest until he keels over, and I don't think they would want to leave the Big East). So if it's not Pitt, I would like to see Rutgers or Cincinnati. Rutgers brings us the New York market and they don't have a bad football program. They would be on the level of Michigan State.

East:
    Ohio State
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Notre Dame
    Penn State
    Purdue
    Rutgers

West:
    Nebraska
    Wisconsin
    Iowa
    Indiana
    Northwestern
    Minnesota
    Illinois

But I could see the Big 10 add Notre Dame and end it there, since that's who they want more than any other school.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Adding Notre Dame would make sense since they have played Purdue, Michigan, & Michigan State anually for a long time

Nebraska is not a done deal yet...but it may be today. IF The Huskers are in before ND, then the whole idea of 12 is out the door...but the point is, if they land ND all bets are off. They stick at 12...I think they WILL land ND, but as part of a 16 team conference. Nebraska could still bolt for the Pac 10 today.

I think it plays out that Nebraska comes on as #12, they sign ND on as #13, and they have 3 bids to extend. Missouri look off-the-table at this point. Their officials are saying they are NOT going to receive a bid.

I think the plan as of right now is to stick at 12 until they get an answer form ND. IF the Big Ten raids the Big East, I've heard a rumor that they will pursue Kansas and K-State to help fill in the losses.

It's an interesting time in college sports, beyond a doubt...
    Fire Goodell

KU and KSU wouldn't be enough to save the Big East, I think the Big 10 has to secure the NY market if they get Nebraska before ND.