Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buccos Off-Season Moves

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

Re: Buccos Off-Season Moves

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Sorry about that, I didn't see that on the the page. Doumit isn't that good so trading him would be fine with me.
    It's the only job I have right now... Got stay on top of it... lol

Nothing better then a Black & Gold Wedding 09/24/11

The Borskinator Array title="Borski is on a distinguished road"> Borski's Avatar

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...medium=twitter

The Pirates have agreed to sign Matt Diaz to a two-year deal, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The Diamondbacks, Red Sox, Royals, Dodgers, Mariners, Blue Jays, and Yankees also had interest in the outfielder, according to reports earlier this week.

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Borski View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...medium=twitter

The Pirates have agreed to sign Matt Diaz to a two-year deal, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The Diamondbacks, Red Sox, Royals, Dodgers, Mariners, Blue Jays, and Yankees also had interest in the outfielder, according to reports earlier this week.
    Unfortunately most thoughts are we should have kept Milledge instead if we are going to sign this guy..

A BLAST from the PAST could be coming back for 2011...

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BucsPensStillerakawirels3 View Post
    Unfortunately most thoughts are we should have kept Milledge instead if we are going to sign this guy..
    Nope, I'd rather have Diaz. The fact that the Yank-Mes and Red Sox were interested is good enough for me. He will give you a more consistent bat than Milledge ever did.

#Pirates acquire Cesar Valdez as PTBNL in Zach Duke trade with Arizona.

Pirates select catcher Travis Scott from the Los Angeles Angels in the second round of the AAA portion: http://bit.ly/ibEj0p

pirateprospects Tim Williams

Pirates take Bradley Chalk from SD in the AAA phase: http://bit.ly/ibEj0p

Pirates select infielder Josh Rodriguez off Cleveland's Triple-A Columbus roster in today's Rule Five Draft.

Rob Biertempfel tweets that a source tells him the Pittsburgh Pirates seem to be close to a deal for Kenshin Kawakami. He says that money is one hold up, and that another holdup is when/if Paul Maholm is dealt. Could be two situations to watch today.

Read more: Pirates Close to Deal for Kawakami? | Pirates Prospects http://www.piratesprospects.com/2010...#ixzz17d7e8NzL

Pirates sign first baseman Lyle Overbay
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The Pirates have signed free agent first baseman Lyle Overbay to a contract for the 2011 season, General Manager Neal Huntington said today.
    "Lyle Overbay is a solid major league player and we expect him to have a positive impact on our club offensively, defensively and in the clubhouse," Huntington said in a statement.
    Overbay, 33, a left-handed hitter, has incr

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10348/...#ixzz187Z9qvge

They should have only paid $2.5 million for this guy.. Not worth $5 mil... This will put Jones back in RF and that is a good move. He never looked right at 1B and had too many errors there. It was very tiring to see so many player changes in RF from this past season.

Now on to 3B and SS..

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Sounds like a pretty good pick up. Hopefully he'll play good for us.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

I think it's a pretty good signing, even if he is overpaid a bit. Overbay if anything will provide solid defense at 1st base, and he has a decent stick.

Why do they need a 3B though? Alvarez is there and will probably play every game, barring injury. Neil Walker can back up there if necessary. SS is the more immediate need. I'd also like a legitimate RF, and trade one of Doumit/Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    I think it's a pretty good signing, even if he is overpaid a bit. Overbay if anything will provide solid defense at 1st base, and he has a decent stick.

Why do they need a 3B though? Alvarez is there and will probably play every game, barring injury. Neil Walker can back up there if necessary. SS is the more immediate need. I'd also like a legitimate RF, and trade one of Doumit/Jones.
    We might not if Alvarez can improve on his defense in Spring Training.. Ryan D will be dumped soon enough.. We ain't getting rid of Jones either...

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I'm all up for trading Doumit, he's a weak link for the team. I really like what Jones brings to the team and I would like to see him stay with us and knock some more balls over the wall.

Whispers as of last night are Doumit trade to Red Sox's...Here is to hoping this is true..

Whispers as of last night are Doumit trade to Red Sox's...Here is to hoping this is true..
    Why would a team like Boston want Doumit? Maybe for minor league, but why on earth would you want someone like him on the team.

The Tigers signed shortstop Argenis Diaz, who was non-tendered by the Pirates despite his strong glovework.

The Pirates re-signed Tyler Yates, who missed last season as he recovered from Tommy John surgery.

The Nationals announced seven signings, including previously unreported contracts for Ryan Mattheus, Michael Aubrey, and Brian Bixler. Mattheus, a 27-year-old right-handed reliever, was acquired by the Nats at the '09 trade deadline in the Joe Beimel deal, the same month he had Tommy John surgery. His is a Major League deal. Aubrey, drafted 11th overall by the Indians in 2003, hit .235/.310/.495 at Triple-A this year. Bixler, a defensive-minded utility infielder, was acquired by Washington from the Pirates in August.

Pirates Reach Agreement With Josh Fields

By Tim Dierkes [December 20, 2010 at 2:22pm CST]
    The Pirates reached an agreement on a minor league deal with third baseman Josh Fields, the team announced on Twitter. A spring training invite is included.
    Fields, 28, joined Kansas City a year ago in the Mark Teahen trade. Hip surgery took up most of his Royals career, though he had 104 interesting pro plate appearances before being non-tendered this month. Beyond the hot corner, he's dabbled at first base and left field.
    Fields was drafted 18th overall by the White Sox in 2004 and was once considered a top prospect. He crushed 23 home runs in 418 plate appearances with the Sox in '07, nine of which came in August of that year. Earlier this month the Pirates added another former top third base prospect in Andy Marte, cutting a third one loose in Andy LaRoche.

The Pirates have welcomed back Donald Veal just two weeks after non-tendering him, Eddy tweets. Veal underwent Tommy John surgery earlier this year.

PITTSBURGH -- The Pirates claimed left-hander Aaron Thompson off waivers from the Nationals on Thursday and added infielders Garrett Atkins and Corey Wimberly to the list of non-roster Spring Training invitees.
    Read more: http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...s_pit&c_id=pit

The Pirates today agreed to terms with right-handed relief pitcher Joel Hanrahan on a contract for the 2011 season, avoiding salary arbitration.

The deal is worth $1.4 million.

Hanrahan, 29, went 4-1 with six saves and a 3.62 ERA in a career-high 72 appearances with the Pirates last season. He also struck out a career-high 100 batters while working 69.2 innings.

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/11018/1118...#ixzz1BS3490bM
    Busy night in the 'Burgh for sports. This pick up is a great pick up in my opinion.

Finally, a good signing, though it should be a multi-year deal. Hanrahan earned it last year.

Finally, a good signing, though it should be a multi-year deal. Hanrahan earned it last year.
    Let's just hope he plays well this upcoming year.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Let's just hope he plays well this upcoming year.
    He will...

Pirates To Sign Jose Veras

By Zach Links [January 16, 2011 at 6:00pm CST]
    The Pirates have agreed to sign Jose Veras to a minor league deal, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com (Spanish link). The reliever will earn a base of $1MM plus incentives if he makes the big league roster, Rojas tweets. Otherwise, the veteran will make $15K each month in the minors.

Pirates Sign Jorge Julio

By Nick Collias [January 10, 2011 at 12:17pm CST]
    After a strong winter in Venezuela, reliever Jorge Julio has signed a minor league contract with the Pirates and received an invitation to Spring Training, reports César Augusto Márquez at the Venezuelan newspaper Lider en Deportes (link in Spanish). However, Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the Pirates did not invite the pitcher to Spring Training (Twitter link).

The Pirates signed catcher Wyatt Toregas to a minor league contract with an invitation Spring Training according to a team press release. The 28-year-old spent the 2010 season in the Indians' farm system, hitting .227/.311/.383 in 148 plate appearances

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Anyone go to the 2011 Pirate Fest this last weekend or am I the only person who would spend money on that LOL?
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    Anyone go to the 2011 Pirate Fest this last weekend or am I the only person who would spend money on that LOL?
    I was going to go and I even called Cakimaki to see if he wanted to go but it snowed Fri/Sat and I didn't want to drive in it 4 hrs..

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BucsPensStillerakawirels3 View Post
    I was going to go and I even called Cakimaki to see if he wanted to go but it snowed Fri/Sat and I didn't want to drive in it 4 hrs..
    Awe damn that's a shame man it was a lot of fun and a record crowd showed up there for sure.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Make Or Break Year: Ryan Doumit

By Mark Polishuk [February 2, 2011 at 6:43pm CST]
    It's hard to imagine a scenario that would keep Ryan Doumit in a Pirates uniform past the 2011 season. Even if Doumit had a Jose Bautista-esque massive breakout next year, it would only hasten his depature from PNC Park, since the Bucs would jump at the chance to acquire some prospects for a suddenly-valuable asset.
    Why is Doumit's future in Pittsburgh so dim? Doumit signed a three-year, $11.5MM extension following an impressive 2008 season that saw the catcher post a .318/.357/.501 slash line in 465 plate appearances. Since then, however, Doumit has been beset by injuries and has only managed a .728 OPS in 760 plate appearances over the last two seasons.
    Doumit has club options worth $7.25MM in 2012 and $8.25MM in 2013, and the Pirates must decide on both options at once following this season. It's a no-brainer that Pittsburgh will take the $500K buyout rather than exercise the two options, given Doumit's struggles and durability issues since 2008. The Pirates have already been openly shopping the switch-hitter this winter and last, and have offered to pay a healthy chunk of Doumit's salary, but no takers have been found.
    The challenge for Doumit in 2011 is to both stay healthy and to play well enough to impress his next team. Even if Doumit avoids the DL next year, though, playing time could be hard to come by for the 29-year-old despite his experience at three positions. Garrett Jones and Matt Diaz comprise a lefty-righty platoon in right field, Lyle Overbay will start most days at first base (with right-handed hitting Steve Pearce as the top backup) and Chris Snyder is slated to catch.
    Doumit's best chance at playing time is a platoon with Snyder. Doumit has a .796 career OPS against right-handed pitching, including an .832 OPS against righties last year. (Snyder's career OPS against righties is just .687.) The downside to that plan is Doumit's career-long defensive struggles as a catcher, which is why the Pirates tried him at other positions in the first place.
    When it comes to a catcher with pop, however, most teams are willing to overlook defensive problems on a short-term basis, especially for a catcher that can hit right-handed pitching. A catcher-needy team could make a move for Doumit at the trade deadline, and for Doumit's sake, an AL team would be the best option so he could get off the field and pick up a few DH at-bats.
    Doumit is too much of a defensive liability to be an everyday catcher and a .796 OPS against right-handers isn't enough to sustain a full-time job at first base or in right field either. Doumit's future is likely as a platoon or bench option, but if he hits well next season, he should have no trouble finding a Major League contract in 2012 given his multi-positional experience and solid bat from the left side of the plate.

I SOOOO want number 41 gone... He is junk..

The perception around the league is that the Pirates have been willing to talk about trading Paul Maholm. The left-hander is likely a year away from free agency, so the Pirates could shop him if they aren't interested in keeping him. Maholm earns $5.75MM this year and after the season the Pirates can exercise a $9.75MM buyout for 2012 or pay a $750K buyout.

I hope he stays.. He was one of the few shining stars for our starting line-up last year. Him and Mcdonald..

You know Doumit looked strong in 08 and thought he could be a great starter to come, but he is on the DL every season and just has not been productive since that year. He will be gone because Snyder can catch and looks good at the plate he is a huge improvement over Doumit.

Would sure be dumb to get rid of Maholm because he is one our best in our rising rotation, Mcdonald like you said will be a star I know it, he was impressive in his short stint last season and hopefully Correria and Olsen can finally get us the winning rotation the bucs need.

I got tickets row A woo for the second game of the season the Friday game against the Rockies, woo GO BUCS!

- Greg Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    You know Doumit looked strong in 08 and thought he could be a great starter to come, but he is on the DL every season and just has not been productive since that year. He will be gone because Snyder can catch and looks good at the plate he is a huge improvement over Doumit.

Would sure be dumb to get rid of Maholm because he is one our best in our rising rotation, Mcdonald like you said will be a star I know it, he was impressive in his short stint last season and hopefully Correria and Olsen can finally get us the winning rotation the bucs need.

I got tickets row A woo for the second game of the season the Friday game against the Rockies, woo GO BUCS!
    You can count me in buddy.. I soooo can't wait..

I'd rather they keep Maholm myself. He is about as average as it gets, but he can eat up innings and keep you in most games. Problem for him is that he has too many big innings where he gives up a bunch of runs after pitching well for most of the game. Still though, if he can get back to his 2009 form, it would be a good bargain to keep him around for another year.

I thought about buying some tickets this year, but dismissed it. I'm sticking to my guns that I will not pay to go to any games until ownership starts spending money to put a winner on the field. The only way you'll see me in PNC Park this season is if someone gave me tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    I'd rather they keep Maholm myself. He is about as average as it gets, but he can eat up innings and keep you in most games. Problem for him is that he has too many big innings where he gives up a bunch of runs after pitching well for most of the game. Still though, if he can get back to his 2009 form, it would be a good bargain to keep him around for another year.

I thought about buying some tickets this year, but dismissed it. I'm sticking to my guns that I will not pay to go to any games until ownership starts spending money to put a winner on the field. The only way you'll see me in PNC Park this season is if someone gave me tickets.
    What if I buy you a ticket or two?? Will you go thennnnn??