Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buccos Off-Season Moves

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

Re: Buccos Off-Season Moves

RHP Jeff Karstens close to agreeing on one-year contract to avoid arbitration.

Nothing better then a Black & Gold Wedding 09/24/11

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

Bucs re-sign two; Milledge among non-tenders

Cedeno, Karstens agree to one-year deals to stay in Pittsburgh

By Jenifer Langosch / MLB.com | 12/03/10 12:42 AM EST

PITTSBURGH -- In a busy day of transactions, the Pirates agreed to terms with Ronny Cedeno and Jeff Karstens, tendered contracts to Ross Ohlendorf and Joel Hanrahan, and let Lastings Milledge walk away on Thursday. Pittsburgh had until 11:59 p.m. ET to determine whether or not to offer a contract to those five arbitration-eligible players.
    The Pirates opened up additional space on the 40-man roster by not offering contracts to left-hander Donnie Veal, infielder Argenis Diaz and left-hander Brian Burres. Those three, along with Milledge, are now free agents.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...s_pit&c_id=pit

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_pit

Pirates Seeking Upgrade At Shortstop
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

« Back to blog
    Pirates still looking for shortstop

1 minute ago by KenRosenthal

The Pirates made another attempt to trade for Twins shortstop J.J. Hardy on Thursday night but were unable to complete a deal, major-league sources say.

The Twins tendered Hardy a contract by the midnight ET deadline, but still could trade him and go with Tsuyoshi Nishioka and Alexi Casilla as their middle infield.

The Pirates continue to engage in trade discussions for at least two available shortstops – Hardy and the Rays’ Jason Bartlett.

The Orioles and Padres also are looking for shortstops. The Giants and Cardinals still could upgrade, even after Miguel Tejada and Ryan Theriot, respectively.

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/m...?new_post=true

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

You know we really don't need to upgrade SS. We need to upgrade our catchers for one and pitching. Jesus, the FO is going for the wrong spots.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    You know we really don't need to upgrade SS. We need to upgrade our catchers for one and pitching. Jesus, the FO is going for the wrong spots.
    Pirates had the most errors in MLB last season. We need an infield defense along with starting pitchers..

The Pirates will focus on pitching at this week's winter meetings, writes Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Biertempfel names Aaron Heilman, Jeff Francis, Brandon Webb, Justin Duchscherer, and Chris Young as potential targets for Pittsburgh.

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

I saw where the Buccos signed Andy Marte. I really hope he turns into something for them. He was given the shaft in Cleveland and never able to turn into the great player that many excpected.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BucsPensStillerakawirels3 View Post
    Pirates had the most errors in MLB last season. We need an infield defense along with starting pitchers..
    Exactly. Alvarez and Walker should be better this year, but Jones and especially Cedeno were absolutely brutal. Cedeno should be a backup only, so I hope they are able to trade for a SS. I don't think I have to point out how awful the catchers were - I have never seen a team be as bad at throwing runners out trying to steal as the Pirates were last year. Basically, if you got a single or a walk, it was as good as a double.

As for the pitchers they're looking at, I'll take Brandon Webb and Chris Young, but they'll likely get a couple of scrubs with bad arms, like always.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Exactly. Alvarez and Walker should be better this year, but Jones and especially Cedeno were absolutely brutal. Cedeno should be a backup only, so I hope they are able to trade for a SS. I don't think I have to point out how awful the catchers were - I have never seen a team be as bad at throwing runners out trying to steal as the Pirates were last year. Basically, if you got a single or a walk, it was as good as a double.

As for the pitchers they're looking at, I'll take Brandon Webb and Chris Young, but they'll likely get a couple of scrubs with bad arms, like always.
    Yes they are still looking for a SS.. Ronnie is not the answer and they already admitted that..

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I don't know, I always liked Ronnie and thought he was a good player. Our catchers are horrible, I'm hoping they can get a really good catcher.

I don't know, I always liked Ronnie and thought he was a good player. Our catchers are horrible, I'm hoping they can get a really good catcher.
    I would expect no one other then Snyder to be catcher with Ryan filling in from time to time, Snyder has us for $4 mill this year.
    Last edited by BPS3akaWirels3; 12-06-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Catcher is going to be an issue for one more year, until Tony Sanchez is ready...

Pirates have some interest in Kawakami

Jenifer Langosch/MLB.com
    The Braves are looking to part ways with starter Kenshin Kawakami and, according to one source, the Pirates have shown some interest in the right-hander this offseason. That certainly makes sense, given that the Pirates are searching anywhere and everywhere for starting pitching and that Kawakami is expendable to the Braves.
    Kawakami, 35, is set to make $6.667 million in 2011, the final year of a three-year deal he signed with Atlanta. The Braves know that they will have to pick up a significant amount of that salary in order to trade Kawakami, so the cost to acquire him would likely only be $1-2 million. Atlanta is not believed to be seeking any significant player return, either.
    After posting a 3.86 ERA in 32 games (25 starts) in 2009, Kawakami never really found his footing last year. He finished 1-10 with a 5.15 ERA in 18 games (16 starts),

http://bucsbits.mlblogs.com/archives...terest_in.html

Pirates Rumors: Kawakami, Brendan Ryan

By Tim Dierkes [December 6, 2010 at 12:04pm CST]
    The latest on the Pirates:

Pirates Reach Agreement With Scott Olsen

By Tim Dierkes [December 6, 2010 at 12:42pm CST]
    The Pirates reached a tentative agreement with lefty Scott Olsen on a one-year, incentive-laden deal, reports MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch. The deal will become official if Olsen passes a physical later this week.

RT @Dejan_Kovacevic: GM just said Ryan Doumit is #Pirates starting RF for 2011 "as we sit right now." He also would do some catching

If you like this thread then follow me on twitter at HUGEBUCSFAN

Thanks

I was doing some reading on Ronnie and I didn't realize he led the team in errors with 18. Doumit as a right fielder, I guess we'll see what happens if he plays that position. Let's hope they can really pick someone up who fits well for that position.

Winter Meetings started today in Florida... Watch for a few signings... Pirates have 4 opens spots on the 40 man roster... I like Ronnie, he has a lot of errors, but is young and has made some good defensive plays.. I feel he can clean it up and so do the Bucco's as that shows with a resigning..

Winter Meetings started today in Florida... Watch for a few signings... Pirates have 4 opens spots on the 40 man roster... I like Ronnie, he has a lot of errors, but is young and has made some good defensive plays.. I feel he can clean it up and so do the Bucco's as that shows with a resigning..
    Yeah, but for the money he's making, he should be playing better. He'll be making double next year.

RT @jcrasnick: Kevin Correia has reached agreement with Pittsburgh Pirates on a 2-year, $8 million deal, pending a physical, source say

He is coming over from San Diego... in 2010 he had 10w10l and an era 5.40...

RT @jcrasnick: Kevin Correia has reached agreement with Pittsburgh Pirates on a 2-year, $8 million deal, pending a physical, source say

He is coming over from San Diego... in 2010 he had 10w10l and an era 5.40...
    Not a bad pick up IMO. Let's hope he can actually live up to the money, of course depending on the physical.

Correia, 30, went 10-10 with a 5.40 ERA over 28 games (26 starts) with the Padres in 2010 and lost his spot in the starting rotation during the final month of the season. It was an odd year for Correia in many respects, as he struck out more batters (7.14 K/9) than he did in 2009 (6.45 K/9), but his walk rate increased from 2.91 BB/9 to 3.97 BB/9. He also gave up 20 home runs over 145 innings, despite allowing flyballs less frequently (30.1 percent) than he did in 2009 (36 percent).
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...lion-contract/

Yeah, we go from Chris Young and Brandon Webb to Scott Olsen and Kevin Correia.

Fucking Pirates...ALWAYS going for the biggest blue-light special crap players they can find...

Yeah, we go from Chris Young and Brandon Webb to Scott Olsen and Kevin Correia.

Fucking Pirates...ALWAYS going for the biggest blue-light special crap players they can find...
    Webb and Hardy are still on the radar.. Actually Kevin is a good deal... Most all are pumped about this one. Olsen on the other hand, well... Let's just say drama in the bullpen...

Quote Originally Posted by BucsPensStillerakawirels3 View Post
    Webb and Hardy are still on the radar.. Actually Kevin is a good deal... Most all are pumped about this one. Olsen on the other hand, well... Let's just say drama in the bullpen...
    It's hard to get excited about a guy who gave up 20 HR in 145 innings, or one HR every 7 innings, and had a 5.40 ERA to boot. As for Olsen, he's basically Zach Duke with a bad attitude. Why they'd even be interested in that headcase is beyond me. At least they gave him an incentive-laden contract, so if he self-destructs, they can boot him without having to pay him much.

Honestly, I'd be VERY surprised if they landed either Webb or Hardy, or both. These are the Pirates after all.

It's hard to get excited about a guy who gave up 20 HR in 145 innings, or one HR every 7 innings, and had a 5.40 ERA to boot. As for Olsen, he's basically Zach Duke with a bad attitude. Why they'd even be interested in that headcase is beyond me. At least they gave him an incentive-laden contract, so if he self-destructs, they can boot him without having to pay him much.

Honestly, I'd be VERY surprised if they landed either Webb or Hardy, or both. These are the Pirates after all.
    So there should never been any disappointments.. lol

They also are strongly pursuing right handed reliever Jeremy Accardo, and according to Dejan Kovacevic, could be close to signing him.

This will probably be a one year deal,,, Been with the Blue Jays most of his career.. Really didn't do much last year..

Read more: Winter Meetings Notebook: It’s All About Pitching | Pirates Prospects http://www.piratesprospects.com/2010...#ixzz17RKHTHhE

Looks like the Pirates are trying to trade Doumit.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Pirates are eager to trade catcher/outfielder Ryan Doumit, are close to signing free-agent pitcher Scott Olsen, are pursuing free-agent pitcher Jeremy Accardo, could trade for veteran Atlanta starter Kenshin Kawakami and continue to have many other discussions.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10341...#ixzz17SmVdrPS
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10341/1108820-63.stm

Looks like the Pirates are trying to trade Doumit.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10341/1108820-63.stm

Not reading all my posts again... lol

Not reading all my posts again... lol
    Sorry about that, I didn't see that on the the page. Doumit isn't that good so trading him would be fine with me.