Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin is coaching a terrible game.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: Tomlin is coaching a terrible game.

Quote Originally Posted by RushHard34 View Post
    Dont think anyones calling him horrible. He just coached a terrible game today...

Bingo! I like Tomlin, I think he's a good coach, but damn it having the honesty to say he blew chunks tonight shouldn't send people to their shields to protect him. Like any person he can have a bad day, and he had a brutal one today
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post

I think after a loss, the board should be shut down for about half an hour so everyone can compose themselves.
    I'd agree with THAT
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    we played a great team tonight
    Yeah, a team that the Browns crushed last week.
    Sorry, DDF, but I'm having fun. Everyone is losing their minds. I think everyone needs to stop and take a deep breath. Spend about 20 minutes in the Night Club and then come back.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Bingo! I like Tomlin, I think he's a good coach, but damn it having the honesty to say he blew chunks tonight shouldn't send people to their shields to protect him. Like any person he can have a bad day, and he had a brutal one today
    Zu, I agree with you completely. He sucked.

JUST DON'T TAKE IT / OR MAKE PERSONAL MY FRIEND.

If people protect him, right or wrong, that is their prerogative.

Get pissed but not at fellow steelers fans zu.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

come on man the sky isnt falling and yes we could be 5-4 in 2 weeks but i am willing to bet at least 6-3 if not 7-2. we played a great team tonight
    Great team? The 4-3 team that just lost at home to the Browns?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Yeah, a team that the Browns crushed last week.
    Sorry, DDF, but I'm having fun. Everyone is losing their minds. I think everyone needs to stop and take a deep breath. Spend about 20 minutes in the Night Club and then come back.
    A Browns team we also thumped. Any given Sunday. Yeah, the loss sucks, but things could be worse. Plenty of football left.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Zu, I agree with you completely. JUST DON'T TAKE IT / OR MAKE PERSONAL MY FRIEND.

If people protect him, right or wrong, that is their prerogative.
    Yeah, you're right, but it's not many games where a coach so negatively influences a result. Have to get it off my chest.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Actually you are doing a hell of alot more than saying he had a bad day. you are saying we might as well mail in the next 9 games we suck and never gonna another game this year. that is why everyone is defending coach tomlin..... think aout it Zu

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Yeah, you're right, but it's not many games where a coach so negatively influences a result. Have to get it off my chest.
    I know. I am so irritated right now I can't even tell you.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

I say we fire Tomlin tomorrow and hire Arians as head coach.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I'm going to lay this one primarily at Ben's feet.

You want to see what an elite quarterback looks like? Look across to the one on the Saints. Ben should be eating the blitz alive against a depleted secondary.

And yes, I love Ben for what he does. But I really thought this was the kind of thing he was going to get better at. You know they are going to blitz... you absolutely know it! Isn't there some kind of thing that certain quarterbacks do to take advantage of that? Like throwing to the guy with one on one coverage within two seconds?

If you guys want to tell me that it's all BA's fault I'd be willing to listen. Maybe we just don't have plays where any receivers turn back before 12 seconds.
    I think, to be fair, Ben also looked like a guy who has missed 4 weeks out of 7 so far. And I'd also like to add that the "elite QB on the other side" threw 4 INTs (including 2 pick-sixes) against the Browns. Everyone has a bad game now and then.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

When we lose to the Bungles then we can worry a little, but for now relax. People make mistakes.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Well, you already implied that I'm a Kool-Aid drinking cheerleader because I have a little bit of perspective and am not about to slit my wrists, so what's stopping you?

Perspective? Well here's mine. Coaching decisions shouldn't impact a game in a negative way to the degree they did tonight. Ever!

The Borskinator Array title="Borski is on a distinguished road"> Borski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    When we lose to the Bungles then we can worry a little, but for now relax. People make mistakes.
    Seriously, people are really over reacting tonight, holy crap

Actually you are doing a hell of alot more than saying he had a bad day. you are saying we might as well mail in the next 9 games we suck and never gonna another game this year. that is why everyone is defending coach tomlin..... think aout it Zu
    Right now I'm saying he sucked tonight. Bellichick will eat his lunch if he coaches as horrible against them as he did tonight.

The Borskinator Array title="Borski is on a distinguished road"> Borski's Avatar

Perspective? Well here's mine. Coaching decisions shouldn't impact a game in a negative way to the degree they did tonight. Ever!
    So fumbles, blown coverage doesn't matter?

There is plenty of blame to go around. They'll take a look at what whent wrong during the week and fix it.

Ben's Wingman Array title="Merchant has a spectacular aura about"> Merchant's Avatar

Breatheee people. The sky isn't falling. It's a tough loss to swallow but this wasn't a must-win game. We're still tied atop the division and only the Patriots have a better record. Gonna bounce back against the Bungles!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Granted, the loss sucks but the season is far from over. We're not 6-7 here.

However, I think LeBeau or Tomlin was not playing as aggressive as I'd like. Ben looked out of sync. It happens. I think he'll be ready next week.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

I think after a game, the board should be shut down for about half an hour so everyone can compose themselves.
    Yeah, me too. This is absolutely fucking insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Borski View Post
    So fumbles, blown coverage doesn't matter?

There is plenty of blame to go around. They'll take a look at what whent wrong during the week and fix it.
    Of course they matter. But Tomlin set the ball rolling in the wrong direction and his decision showed up on the scoreboard for our opponent in a close game.

1. Terrible challenge. Did anyone think it had a chance in hell to overturn the fumble?

2. Bad non challenge imo. I think the second and goal carry by Mendy was worth challenging. Not sure it would have worked, but I really thought there was visual evidence of the ball crossing the plane of the goal before he was down. I think the fact that he failed on the ridiculous first challenge might have played a part in not issuing a legitimate challenge that had a chance.

3. Don't try a 51 yarder with Reed unless the clock is all but expired or you're playing an inept offense. The chances of Reed making that kick are about 15%, you don't give Brees the ball there with that much time on the clock. Punt 'em down inside their 15 and make them earn it at least. This was a huge momentum changer and I think Tomlin breathed life into the Sainst offense with that decision.

4. 4th and 4. Again risk-reward didn't weigh in favor of that call. A 3 point game, the defense made a nice goal line stand the series before, and you give Brees favorable field position?

Tomlin gave a stagnant Saints offense life by unneccessarily giving them great field position twice.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

I can't put too much of the blame on Tomlin. Ben didn't react quickly enough to the blitz, he and the receivers weren't on the same page with the hot reads. I thought Arians actually called a decent game....he could have adjusted the play calling to deal with the blitz a little earlier (we were pretty worthless in the 3rd Qtr), but overall we had a nice balance in what we were trying to do. Ben needs to do a better job with the blitz and regardless of how strong he is, he has to learn it's okay to throw the ball away sometimes. I had a bigger problem with the defense. We blitz and create a turnover and when they get the ball back we let them march down the field and we don't get anyone in Brees' face including rushing just 3 on a big 3rd down call....lame.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Granted, the loss sucks but the season is far from over. We're not 6-7 here.

However, I think LeBeau or Tomlin was not playing as aggressive as I'd like. Ben looked out of sync. It happens. I think he'll be ready next week.
    He looked in sync as soon as they decided it was ok to throw on first down.

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    I can't put too much of the blame on Tomlin. Ben didn't react quickly enough to the blitz, he and the receivers weren't on the same page with the hot reads. I thought Arians actually called a decent game....he could have adjusted the play calling to deal with the blitz a little earlier (we were pretty worthless in the 3rd Qtr), but overall we had a nice balance in what we were trying to do. Ben needs to do a better job with the blitz and regardless of how strong he is, he has to learn it's okay to throw the ball away sometimes. I had a bigger problem with the defense. We blitz and create a turnover and when they get the ball back we let them march down the field and we don't get anyone in Brees' face including rushing just 3 on a big 3rd down call....lame.
    I guess you didn't notice Flozell blocking air on our first 3 3rd down plays? How's that Ben's fault?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I think after a game, the board should be shut down for about half an hour so everyone can compose themselves.
    No way! This is the best time!

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

i really think the person that is beating himself up right now is heath we had the Mo and moving rather easy just had a big TO moving to tie when he fumbles. If he doesnt and we tie the game or go ahead all this talk might be for not, but he fumbled we lost. In the grand scheme of things it sucks, but not as bad as if where a AFC team. i hate losing to any team, but i will take this loss. we ar not gonna win them all hell i figured 10-6 this year. Next up the bungles in the jungle. i expect a big game from the D.

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Too little too late

He looked in sync as soon as they decided it was ok to throw on first down.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

I guess you didn't notice Flozell blocking air on our first 3 3rd down plays? How's that Ben's fault?
    So I should blame Tomlin for that???

Of course

No, what you blame Tomlin for is breathing life into a stagnant Saints offense by twice giving them great field position when you had the chance to pin them down deep in their own territory.

You also blame him for wasting a challenge on a play that had no chance of being reveresed and holding on to his flag on a play that possibly could have given the Steelers a touchdown.

No, what you blame Tomlin for is breathing life into a stagnant Saints offense by twice giving them great field position when you had the chance to pin them down deep in their own territory.

You also blame him for wasting a challenge on a play that had no chance of being reveresed and holding on to his flag on a play that possibly could have given the Steelers a touchdown.
    Fine...I WILL blame Tomlin for that....and Ben and the receivers STILL need to do a better job at reading the blitz and making adjustments. When there are that many people coming someone should be open. I don't expect that we are gonna beat the blitz every time, but we need to make adjustments to get the ball out faster to contend with it.