Thread: Jets CB Darrelle Revis, furious, begins holdout

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Jets CB Darrelle Revis, furious, begins holdout

Quote:
    Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis was described as "unhappy" today in reports that noted he was staying home from organized team activities. Now "unhappy" has been upgraded to "furious."

That's the word a source used in describing Revis's feelings to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post. According to Hubbuch, Revis views the Jets' latest contract offer as "pitifully low" and is so unhappy that he might skip this month's mandatory minicamp and perhaps even training camp.

Revis is reportedly telling friends that the Jets have broken promises to him and are doing the same thing that they've done to players like Pete Kendall, Chris Baker, Laveranues Coles and Leon Washington, all of whom departed the Jets after acrimonious contract negotiations.

For his part, Jets coach Rex Ryan is downplaying Revis's absence.

"This is a voluntary camp," Ryan said. "When it's time to react or be frustrated and all of that stuff, I'll react."

It sounds like the time to react will be June 14, when the Jets open a mandatory minicamp that Revis doesn't plan to attend.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...training-camp/

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

$20 million a year is beyond unreasonable.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

He is a legend in his own mind. Talk about entitlement mentality, not to mention he should be drug tested because his demands are in the stratosphere.
    All Defense!

Do no harm - take no shit Array title="Killer is on a distinguished road"> Killer's Avatar

ha ha

Screw the Jets

Tell Rex to shove it... sit out the whole year. Make them pay you!

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

I doubt there is a team in the league that could afford his contract demands.

In the end, the Jets will get it done and Revis will come down in price.

Happens nearly every time.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Ok to be fair, he publicly stated that he never demanded $20million a year and has no idea where it came from. I dont think anyone is dumb enough to ask for that money. Probably a shit rumor.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

You know, even if I was in the NFL and my contract was coming to an end and I wanted another one, I would still go the practices, even if they weren't mandatory. To me, that shows that person is commited to the team and won't leave.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    You know, even if I was in the NFL and my contract was coming to an end and I wanted another one, I would still go the practices, even if they weren't mandatory. To me, that shows that person is commited to the team and won't leave.
    thats just it a lot of these folks feel entitled

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

This kid is good and talented, but he is just demanding too much and I don't see many team's giving him that kind of deal. It's sad you can't show up to OTA's give a little effort out there instead of feeling king of the world.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="SteelersinCA is an unknown quantity at this point">

What I don't get is only in pro sports can you holdout on a contract. It boggles my mind. Make his ass play.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

i blame al davis the these kind of salary demands even if it isnt 20 million a year he wants big dough and someone will end up paying him so the next guy can moan and bitch and threaten to sit out.

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

If he isn't demanding $20M a year, then I am curious to what his demands are and what the Jets are offering.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    If he isn't demanding $20M a year, then I am curious to what his demands are and what the Jets are offering.
    The only thing I read is that he is wanting more than the Raiders CB that makes $15 Mill per year.

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

Really $20 mil a year? He's a great player but really?

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    The only thing I read is that he is wanting more than the Raiders CB that makes $15 Mill per year.
    Hmmmmmmm. I think Revis may be better than Aso. I don't blame him for wanting to be the highest paid player at his position. The Jets can thank Al Davis for blowing up the CB market. The way Rex Ryan has hyped Revis up, the Jets are going to have to pay him as the best.

The Jets have put themselves in quite a situation here. They have thrown money at free agents/trades but don't seem to want to take care of guys they have drafted. Kris Jenkins, Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard, Calvin Pace, Antonio Cromartie, Alan Faneca (now departed), Jason Taylor, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards. They have taken on all these contracts buy won't pay or keep perceived promises to take care of drafted players at a fair market price.

The Jets are built to win this year. There is no way they can keep all these players together beyond this season. Holmes and Edwards are free agents after this season. I think Ferguson and Mangold's contracts are up after this season as well. Cromartie is also in the last season of his rookie deal as well I believe.

The new CBA will bring UFA back to four seasons, and it will probably bring back a salary cap and floor. They won't be able to fit all these new contracts under the new cap, and the players going into FA will be unrestricted. Even if they are unrestricted, they are guys who are worth giving up what their tenders would be (other than Edwards, he's not worth a first round pick).

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="MasterOfPuppets is on a distinguished road">

When asked about the promise he said last week the Jets made to him that he would have a new contract by training camp, Revis said, "Those are not my words, those are the Jets' words. They promised that they were going to get it done before training camp."

Revis acknowledges the fact his agents, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod, also represent two former Jets players, guard Pete Kendall and tight end Chris Baker. Both left the Jets after ugly contract disputes claiming the Jets broke a promise.

"I don't want it to get like that," he said. "Hopefully we'll work it out before training camp."

And if it isn't? Will he hold out?

"I wish I could answer that question," Revis said. "Right now I'm just focusing on being here at the OTAs [organized team activities]. I told them I wasn't going to hold out in OTAs, that I wanted to be here as one of the leaders on this team. As of right now, I'm not even thinking about [holding out in training camp]. I'm focusing on trying to get to the Super Bowl."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...#ixzz0pv7NiBHn
    has training camp started yet ? looks like revis is a bit impatient , on top of being a liar ...where'd that "superbowl" focus go ...

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

I really wanted Revis in the draft but now I am glad we didn't get him he would just be a distraction to the team holding out.