Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Arians stupid reverse tricks.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: Bruce Arians stupid reverse tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    It all worked out in the end - the Steelers won so why are we even discussing this?
    Because it's a message board, and we discuss Steeelers football on it.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Again, they were on the road with a chance to win. You take the points, period. If they don't make it, yes, they're backed up on the 1, but all they need is one first down, and the game is over. If you couldn't trust them to hold the lead, how could you trust them to get the ball back with enough time to win the game? Tomlin made the right call, and just about every other coach would do the same thing in that scenario.
    Actually it would have taken 2 first downs to adequetly kill the clock to secure the win. Operating inside your own 2 yard line makes that first first down that much harder as well. .

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Actually we are discussing it cause you started the thread.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

All i know is no matter how things{could} have turned out,i know how they {did} turn out. No matter what,it was a costly win for us in terms of injuries. I try to let things go from the past,and concentrate on the road ahead. I think our boys will do the same. They have some holes to plug,and i wish them the best of luck in doing that.
    GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Gee - ya think?

However, considering the Steelers just won a huge game on the road against an AFC opponent, I just don't see the purpose of B & M'ing about every little minute thing. I would much rather focus on the positives of the game and look ahead to the Saints - another tough road opponent.

Besides - negativity isn't good for your blood pressure.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

There's a good chance we would have won if we would have gone for the TD too. In fact the odds would have been slightly better for the win if we had gone for it.

Not saying Tomlin did the wrong thing, I respect that his instinct turned out right. But at the time I would have preffered he try to punch it in and take a 5 point lead.
    And if we didn't get in, then they get a couple of 1st downs, and everyone, not just some on this board would be talking about what idiots our coaching staff is. You take the points and go ahead, particularly that late in the game. I don't think that would be just my opinion either.

AML

The Princess' Daddy! Array title="stlrtruck will become famous soon enough"> stlrtruck's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Actually I kind of like the call for the simple reason that the dolphins defense was playing aggressive and showing a lot of instant snap read flow, meaning if the DE would have been blocked 2 seconds longer, that play is gone. The defense had already committed to the run going right.

60 MINS, 53 MEN, 1 NATION
    STEELERS NATION

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

.....and if it worked we would all be praising them

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Slice it,dice it,cut it, chop it,sandwich it,mince it,grind it up,grate it any way you like. We have a fancy W in the win loss section of every newspaper across the nation. Is it possible to give the win back? It would shut a lot of people up. I could still live with 4-2. It would not change the fact that we can't get aaron back.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Problem is, our defense in the last 5 minutes of games have proven to be quite horrid. Do you take the chance of letting a team drive on you in the weakest time period of the game for your defense, putting up 3 or even 7 points with a minute or so left for your offense to have to work in? Especially with Ben just playing his second game back?

Usually, I am one of those that say go for it, and then pin them back at the 1 if you don't get it. However, this time, I have go with the call.
    If a field goal would have put us up by 3 and they needed a touchdown to beat us, then yeah, I say kick the field goal.

And yeah, our defense has squandered leads in the fourth quarter. But having them pinned on their 1 or 2 yard line, I like our defense's odds.

It all worked out in the end - the Steelers won so why are we even discussing this?
    Because we're Steelers fans, and we're NEVER happy.
    And how much fun would it be if we sat around agreeing with each other all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    Actually we are discussing it cause you started the thread.
    If there was nothing to discuss the thread would have died long ago.

Gee - ya think?

However, considering the Steelers just won a huge game on the road against an AFC opponent, I just don't see the purpose of B & M'ing about every little minute thing. I would much rather focus on the positives of the game and look ahead to the Saints - another tough road opponent.

Besides - negativity isn't good for your blood pressure.
    First off I'm not bitching or moaning, I've simply made a few observations and offered commentary. Second, I'm glad they won the game, but I still think with Pouncey 1 foot to go is going to be converted way more often than not. Third, if you want to talk positive or look ahead there's plenty of threads other than this to do it on.

Hell fact of the matter is this thread would already be dead if people would stop attacking those of us who have a contrary view. I've already spoken my peace, now all I'm doing is defending the logic of my opinion and my right to express it.

Slice it,dice it,cut it, chop it,sandwich it,mince it,grind it up,grate it any way you like. We have a fancy W in the win loss section of every newspaper across the nation. Is it possible to give the win back? It would shut a lot of people up. I could still live with 4-2. It would not change the fact that we can't get aaron back.
    You're confusing the topic now. Nowhere have I claimed the Steelers have anything to apoligize for in regard to the win. Dolphin players, coaches, or fans looking to place blame for the loss on the refs are proving that they are in fact a bunch of losers imo.

Turn the equation around, you give me the Steelers with the ball and over 2 minutes on the clock, trailing by a single point and decent starting field position and I'm expecting to win that game every single time.

That in fact is why I wanted the Steelers to go for the TD on 4th down at the 1 foot line. Because that's just too easy a lead to overcome and chances are good the go ahead field goal will occur with inadequete time left to reciprocate.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

That in fact is why I wanted the Steelers to go for the TD on 4th down at the 1 foot line. Because that's just too easy a lead to overcome and chances are good the go ahead field goal will occur with inadequete time to reciprocate.
    Here's a question I have. Do they make the same decision if we had been playing the Colts? I think they would have. Do you really wanna give Manning the ball with 2 1/2 minutes left needing only a field goal to beat you? The problem I have is that it seems we play aggressively all game, and then get conservative in the fourth quarter, both offensively and defensively. The reason why I think it's worthy of discussion is because the conservative attitude late has bit us in the ass before, and it's going to do so again. If you have a team against the ropes, go for the knockout.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    Here's a question I have. Do they make the same decision if we had been playing the Colts? I think they would have. Do you really wanna give Manning the ball with 2 1/2 minutes left needing only a field goal to beat you? The problem I have is that it seems we play aggressively all game, and then get conservative in the fourth quarter, both offensively and defensively. The reason why I think it's worthy of discussion is because the conservative attitude late has bit us in the ass before, and it's going to do so again. If you have a team against the ropes, go for the knockout.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

First off I'm not bitching or moaning, I've simply made a few observations and offered commentary. Second, I'm glad they won the game, but I still think with Pouncey 1 foot to go is going to be converted way more often than not. Third, if you want to talk positive or look ahead there's plenty of threads other than this to do it on.

Hell fact of the matter is this thread would already be dead if people would stop attacking those of us who have a contrary view. I've already spoken my peace, now all I'm doing is defending the logic of my opinion and my right to express it.
    I'm not sure not agreeing with you constitutes attacking you, that wasn't my intention anyway.

I really don't see why anyone should go find another thread to state their opinion.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    Thing is, we weren't playing the Colts. Thats a decision that the staff didn't have to make.

I don't think that taking the lead with a little over 2 minutes to play is playing defensively. I don't know what the odds are, but I think the chances of us kicking the field goal are much better that getting the TD on 4th down. The staff decided to kick the field and put the game in the hands of the D. I think it was the right decision, and as it turned out it probably was.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Thing is, we weren't playing the Colts. Thats a decision that the staff didn't have to make.

I don't think that taking the lead with a little over 2 minutes to play is playing defensively. I don't know what the odds are, but I think the chances of us kicking the field goal are much better that getting the TD on 4th down. The staff decided to kick the field and put the game in the hands of the D. I think it was the right decision, and as it turned out it probably was.
    I understand we weren't playing Peyton Manning, but let's not forget this defense has made some fairly nondescript qb's look like Peyton in the last couple seasons late in the game. When your recent history has you giving up game winning drives to Matt Cassell, Bruce Gradowski, and Jay Cutler how can you assume your defense is capable of protecting a 1 point lead on the road? Hell we nearly blew a much bigger lead than that to the Dolphins 3rd string qb in the season ender last year.

I hate to sound like I'm complaining when we won, but I'm not talking about just this one call in this one game. We have a trend of taking our foot off the gas pedal. I think that's why we lost so many fourth-quarter leads last season and why we almost let the Titans come back on us this year, even though we absolutely dominated them the entire game.

The trend is that we're playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Sure, the conservative mentality worked against the Dolphins, but it didn't work against the Ravens. I think back to the playoff game against Jacksonville a few years ago. We had the lead, and we call a very conservative QB run on third down instead of trying to get the first and run out the clock. What happened? The Jaguars got the ball back, scored, and won the game.

I'm not sure not agreeing with you constitutes attacking you, that wasn't my intention anyway.

I really don't see why anyone should go find another thread to state their opinion.
    If you want to discuss the views expressed in this thread then please do post on this thread. But if you come in with a dismissive- this topic stinks approach, then why bother posting on it at all?

I understand we weren't playing Peyton Manning, but let's not forget this defense has made some fairly nondescript qb's look like Peyton in the last couple seasons late in the game. When your recent history has you giving up game winning drives to Matt Cassell, Bruce Gradowski, and Jay Cutler how can you assume your defense is capable of protecting a 1 point lead on the road? Hell we nearly blew a much bigger lead than that to the Dolphins 3rd string qb in the season ender last year.
    That was last year, and this is this year. Our defense has been playing much better to this point anyway. I can understand what your are saying and it does have merit, I just think that they made the right decision. I'll give you this though, it sure is nice to have center that will make you think about it, isn't it.

AML

If you want to discuss the views expressed in this thread then please do post on this thread. But if you come in with a dismissive- this topic stinks approach, then why bother posting on it at all?
    Because they have the right to post in this thread and do not need anyone permission to do so.

AML

I'll give you this though, it sure is nice to have center that will make you think about it, isn't it.
    Amen to that!!

Because they have the right to post in this thread and do not need anyone permission to do so.
    I'm not saying they do. I just hate dismissive unsupported shut down arguments being used against what I believe to be rationale views. "We won so shut up idiot" ( not quoting anyone specifically, just pointing out a mindset) or "why the hell are we still talking about this, 'cause ya know, like we won", tend to wear on me.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I will say this about the play(s)... I don't have a problem with the play call, but I, and possibly our opposition can see a trend with the play call. In the past, we used to feel we needed to keep these trick plays undercover, and spring it on the opponent at an appropriate time. Now, it seems that OC's show their hand to have their opponents prepare for the play, whether they had plans of running it or not. As a fan, I can remember plenty of times saying "what the hell was that" even for a play that was successful, just because I had never seen it before. That inside shovel pass to Hines on a goal line drive comes to mind. The ARE play in the super bowl is another.

He seems to do the some things with other play calls as well. That bubble screen that he ran to Hines twice the last game was crap when he tried to run it to the other side to Wallace. There is definitely a fine line between going to the well too many times, and calling a play multiple times daring your opponent to stop it... if it's being effective. The reverse, however, has not been effective, imo.

I'm not saying they do. I just hate dismissive unsupported shut down arguments being used against what I believe to be rationale views. "We won so shut up idiot" ( not quoting anyone specifically, just pointing out a mindset) or "why the hell are we still talking about this, 'cause ya know, like we won", tend to wear on me.
    If you have the right to post as you want, then the next person has that same right. You probably post some things that wear others out. I know I've posted a bunch that you didn't like.

Sorry guys, to get back on topic. I think for the most part the play calling has been pretty good so far. We are not going to agree with all the play or all the decisions that the coaches make. Just keep in mind that in the morning, we go back to our normal jobs, in the morning they are still living with the decisions they made the day before. If our actual job was to make that decision, its hard to say what we would really do.

AML

If you have the right to post as you want, then the next person has that same right. You probably post some things that wear others out. I know I've posted a bunch that you didn't like.

Sorry guys, to get back on topic. I think for the most part the play calling has been pretty good so far. We are not going to agree with all the play or all the decisions that the coaches make. Just keep in mind that in the morning, we go back to our normal jobs, in the morning they are still living with the decisions they made the day before. If our actual job was to make that decision, its hard to say what we would really do.
    I guess the point is Tex, if I find the premise of a thread to be idiotic I just don't bother posting on it. There's plenty of threads to go around for whatever fits your taste.

As to this topic. Even though I'm being accused otherwise, since this season began other than one specific play call which I noted in this thread I haven't said anything against Arians. Generally speaking I think he's done a good job. But imo that reverse, particuarly at that time was a brutally bad playcall and cost us a good scoring chance right at the end of the half. And fair or not, as with being a baseball umpire, an offensive coordinater doesn't get noticed for the calls he gets right, it's the one that he blows that will always bring notice to him.

Good example. I think Chan Gailey did a good job in his one season as OC for the Steelers ( 97) . Korkie had a career year under Chan's tuteledge. ( 21 td passes 11 running). Yet what do most Steeler fans remember him for, but the brutal play action pass where Korkie threw an interception into triple coverage. This at a time the Steelers were looking to improve on a 4 point lead with good field position and the Bus just gashing away at will against the Broncos defense.

One bad play can undo a lot of good.

Just what are you getting to? Make your point dude.SF likes you and so do i.
    I only speak my mind on theses threads.So do you.what is wrong with that? Make something happen or you are gonna lose it. Ain't nobody on Gods green earth ever gonna agree on everything that we feel or think.

Just what are you getting to? Make your point dude.SF likes you and so do i.
    I only speak my mind on theses threads.So do you.what is wrong with that? Make something happen or you are gonna lose it. Ain't nobody on Gods green earth ever gonna agree on everything that we feel or think.
    Nothing's wrong with it. It's a Steelers message board and we're discussing Steelers football. That's what it's all about

I'll tell you what I remember Chan for, getting stabbed in the back by the cowboys owner.

AML