Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Arians stupid reverse tricks.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Re: Bruce Arians stupid reverse tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    1-10-MIA 34 (1:12) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short left to 21-M.Moore to MIA 28 for 6 yards (32-J.Allen).

Timeout #1 by PIT at 01:03.
    2-4-MIA 28 (1:03) (Shotgun) 21-M.Moore right tackle to MIA 36 for -8 yards (58-K.Dansby).

Sorry apoligists , the call was made coming out of a time out. You're hero called it, time to own up.

A standard post. I didn't like the play very much, no matter who called it, but I think that BA is doing a good job so far. Does this make him my hero, no. Does it make me an apoligist, no. I really can't see why you can't stand anyone not thinking the same way you do.

AML

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Then why carry his water? There was no audible called there, you really think they come out of a time out without a play call being given to Ben?
    Because unlike you, I do not bash him for every single effing bad play that happens while giving him NO credit when calls work or has a good game plan. Have you given him credit for anything this year? I don't think so. Again, I wouldn't say a damn thing if those who do nothing but ride his ass gave him credit every now and then. He's done a good job so far this season.

I'm sure they talked about what to do on the sideline. But knowing that Ben calls the plays in the 2 minute offense, how do you know he didn't suggest it? It's entirely possible. But the bottom line is, as Mach said, neither of us were on the sideline, so we really don't know who called it. Just call it a bad play that didn't work, and move on, rather than predictably jumping down Arians' throat.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

No matter who makes the call,if the play is not executed as it is boarded up to be,and it fails,who knows? they played only well enough to win. Not pretty,or fancy,but a win none the less.Miami played thier hearts out today,much as Buffalo.What is scarey to me,is how much better we could become. By scarey,i mean for the rest of the league. We could actually dole out some thrashings.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Because unlike you, I do not bash him for every single effing bad play that happens while giving him NO credit when calls work or has a good game plan. Have you given him credit for anything this year? I don't think so. Again, I wouldn't say a damn thing if those who do nothing but ride his ass gave him credit every now and then. He's done a good job so far this season.

I'm sure they talked about what to do on the sideline. But knowing that Ben calls the plays in the 2 minute offense, how do you know he didn't suggest it? It's entirely possible. But the bottom line is, as Mach said, neither of us were on the sideline, so we really don't know who called it. Just call it a bad play that didn't work, and move on, rather than predictably jumping down Arians' throat.
    It was a bad play this week, it was a bad play the week before, and the week before that, and that, yet somehow it keeps cropping up it's ugly head. Why in the world would anyone call it at such a critical time? Had we lost this game the potential points we lost on that possession would have haunted us into December.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

It was a bad play this week, it was a bad play the week before, and the week before that, and that, yet somehow it keeps cropping up it's ugly head. Why in the world would anyone call it at such a critical time? Had we lost this game the potential points we lost on that possession would have haunted us into December.
    It'll probly be a bad call next week too.

I wouldn't say a damn thing if those who do nothing but ride his ass gave him credit every now and then. He's done a good job so far this season.
    He's done OK so far, I'd give him a B-. He or who ever calls certain plays needs to get better at the situation calls. That's been my biggest gripe.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

I can't think of a time it's worked in all the years they've run it. And I agree - it was not the proper time for that call, not when you're at their 28 and have a shot at a FG that would have extended their lead. I was thinking that at the time.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I can't think of a time it's worked in all the years they've run it. And I agree - it was not the proper time for that call, not when you're at their 28 and have a shot at a FG that would have extended their lead. I was thinking that at the time.
    Thank you. I'm not saying Arains has been awful this year, ( I wont say he's been good either, it's a matter of religion not saying so :wink: ) I just thought that play call at that particuliar time was galling!

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Re: Bruce Arains stupid reverse tricks.

Zu, you know damn freaking well that this was established 2 years ago. Don't give me that crap.

Arians bashers are worse, because all you people do is wait for him to wait for one mistake before jumping all over him, yet NEVER give him credit for a damn thing.

Aint that the damned truth? The man did what he was asked to do with regard to the running game AND makes good playcalls 99% of the time thus far this season and NEVER gets any credit for it. It's absolutely sickening.

I thought everyone was well aware that Ben makes all of the calls in the 2 minute drill.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

1-10-MIA 34 (1:12) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short left to 21-M.Moore to MIA 28 for 6 yards (32-J.Allen).

Timeout #1 by PIT at 01:03.
    2-4-MIA 28 (1:03) (Shotgun) 21-M.Moore right tackle to MIA 36 for -8 yards (58-K.Dansby).

Sorry apoligists , the call was made coming out of a time out. You're hero called it, time to own up.
    Get that resume in there Zu.

Ben normally calls the plays in the 2 minute'r. As MACH said - unless you were on that sideline and know without a doubt that the call was made by Arians, this argument and thread are MOOT and a waste of bandwidth. Period.

P.S. No - I'm not related to BA.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

Aint that the damned truth? The man did what he was asked to do with regard to the running game AND makes good playcalls 99% of the time thus far this season and NEVER gets any credit for it. It's absolutely sickening.

I thought everyone was well aware that Ben makes all of the calls in the 2 minute drill.
    They were coming out of a time out on the play in question. No audible was called at the LOS. It's highly unlikely that they didn't send Ben in with the play call coming out of the time out.

Hey I get it, he's done some things right. But just as an offensive linemen can block his guy effectively 15 straight plays, but on the 16th play his man comes in free and causes a game changing turnover or sack, that's the play that's going to be noticed. That play call cost us a critical possession, it was a stupid and unneccessary call. If I never see the wr reverse again it will be too soon.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Clock management at the end of the 1st half was also puzzling. We had 2 time outs and at least 2 downs to try and get into field goal range.

The whole Steeler team did not look "ON" today. The defense started great. The offense didn't. The offense had it's moments later on. The defense was getting gassed. Sanders had a rough start but was one tackle away from taking it to the house on a later kick return.

Not our best game. Not our prettiest game. However, we won.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Not his call, folks. Ben calls the plays in the 2 minute offense - this has been well-established already.
    I agree with you most things Arians, but that isn't always the case.

Arians called the offense on the game-winning drive against Green Bay last year.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I do find it funny that the anti-Arians crowd always whines that he's "too predictable" and that they'd love to see trick plays like Whiz used to do.

And when we do use it, it gets bashed.

The reverse has actually worked a bit last season.

And like it has been said, why not fault the execution as well. How can Pouncey or Chris, whoever was supposed to pick him up, let Dansby came flying through up the gut. That's the last guy in the last spot you want coming through free.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

i really just wanna know how the hell people know who calls what plays? Do i need a special TV that shows the person calling the plays light up when they call them? The reverse play sucks we can all agree on that, but unless you are sure why point fingers at BA or even Ben unless you have said TV and if you do here can i get it. I also understand it was coming off a TO, but who says they didnt talk it over nd ben said HEY coach i think that reverse will work here? As far as i know ben does have some input on the plays. Good lord we won the game BE HAPPY. Hines left plays on the field ben did the oline didnt block like the have in past few games. BUT WE WON!

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

no way of knowing who called the play for sure, but regardless it was a stupid call.
    Hater = Realist

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

To make that play work you have to have blocking and we did not have it Dansby was on it form the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    i really just wanna know how the hell people know who calls what plays? Do i need a special TV that shows the person calling the plays light up when they call them? The reverse play sucks we can all agree on that, but unless you are sure why point fingers at BA or even Ben unless you have said TV and if you do here can i get it. I also understand it was coming off a TO, but who says they didnt talk it over nd ben said HEY coach i think that reverse will work here? As far as i know ben does have some input on the plays. Good lord we won the game BE HAPPY. Hines left plays on the field ben did the oline didnt block like the have in past few games. BUT WE WON!
    For the record, Ben said it was Arians call against Green Bay last year. I'm not speculating on that one.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010...they-have.html

The numbers suggest the Steelers would have had a slightly better chance to win the game if they had gone for the TD instead of kicking the fg at the end of the game. Not complaining mind you, I'm happy with the end result, but I remember thinking at the time that I would rather have gone for the td.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010...they-have.html

The numbers suggest the Steelers would have had a slightly better chance to win the game if they had gone for the TD instead of kicking the fg at the end of the game. Not complaining mind you, I'm happy with the end result, but I remember thinking at the time that I would rather have gone for the td.
    I don't knw if you're implying it or not but the decision doesn't fall on Arians. That would fall on Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    I don't knw if you're implying it or not but the decision doesn't fall on Arians. That would fall on Tomlin.
    Nope, just wasn't going to start a new thread over it, so I fit it in here.

If the Steelers hadn't taken the sure 3 (chip shot FG by Skippy) and the Fins stopped them on 4th and 1, there's a good chance the Fins would have come away with the W. I agree 100% with the decision to go for the FG and the sure points.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    If the Steelers hadn't taken the sure 3 (chip shot FG by Skippy) and the Fins stopped them on 4th and 1, there's a good chance the Fins would have come away with the W. I agree 100% with the decision to go for the FG and the sure points.

There's a good chance we would have won if we would have gone for the TD too. In fact the odds would have been slightly better for the win if we had gone for it.

Not saying Tomlin did the wrong thing, I respect that his instinct turned out right. But at the time I would have preffered he try to punch it in and take a 5 point lead.

Sigh. It was one play out of an entire game of plays. If it happened on first down, then it would have been called a foolish play because we now only have two downs to make up the yards. If it happened on third down it would have been called foolish because we needed to run straight (or pass, depending on the opinion de jour).

If it WAS a run play that got stopped for a loss, people would be crying for a screen, or something to slow down the rush...if it was a pass play, people would be screaming for a run.

My point? MMQB is fun, but when put out there as "fact" that everyone should have known, instead of hindsight... well.

Personally, I think BA has done some great things with our pass game that never really existed before he came. I think BA has some glaring weaknesses that are easily exploited. The problem is, neither I, nor anyone else here, could do any better, IMO.

EDIT: Seems the thread has moved on since I started this post (a few hours ago-- a couple things came up). Sorry if it is restarting something that just finished....

There's a good chance we would have won if we would have gone for the TD too. In fact the odds would have been slightly better for the win if we had gone for it.

Not saying Tomlin did the wrong thing, I respect that his instinct turned out right. But at the time I would have preffered he try to punch it in and take a 5 point lead.
    They're on the road with a chance to win...you take the sure points. I have no problem with the decision.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They're on the road with a chance to win...you take the sure points. I have no problem with the decision.
    QFT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

It worked out, for which I'm glad,, and I understand Tomlin's logic, and I'm not kiling him for his decision. But the way our defense was playing I wasn't real confident that our defense would be able to preserve a 1 point lead projecting out to normal field posistion after a kickoff with the kind of time that was left on the clock. There's no more helpless feeling in sports than watching a team line up for a potential game winning chip shot field goal with an almost expired clock. Seen that scenario play out too many times lately and I was afraid that's what we were looking at again.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

There's no more helpless feeling in sports than watching a team line up for a potential game winning chip shot field goal with an almost expired clock. Seen that scenario play out too many times lately and I was afraid that's what we were looking at again.
    I agree!
    Although I can't blame them for kicking the field goal, I think I would have went for the touchdown. If they didn't get it, Miami gets the ball inside their own 5. There's 2 1/2 minutes left in the game. And we have 3 timeouts left, plus the 2-minute warning.

If we had only 1 timeout left, then I think it's a no-brainer to kick the field goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    I agree!
    Although I can't blame them for kicking the field goal, I think I would have went for the touchdown. If they didn't get it, Miami gets the ball inside their own 5. There's 2 1/2 minutes left in the game. And we have 3 timeouts left, plus the 2-minute warning.

If we had only 1 timeout left, then I think it's a no-brainer to kick the field goal.
    Problem is, our defense in the last 5 minutes of games have proven to be quite horrid. Do you take the chance of letting a team drive on you in the weakest time period of the game for your defense, putting up 3 or even 7 points with a minute or so left for your offense to have to work in? Especially with Ben just playing his second game back?

Usually, I am one of those that say go for it, and then pin them back at the 1 if you don't get it. However, this time, I have go with the call.

It worked out, for which I'm glad,, and I understand Tomlin's logic, and I'm not kiling him for his decision. But the way our defense was playing I wasn't real confident that our defense would be able to preserve a 1 point lead projecting out to normal field posistion after a kickoff with the kind of time that was left on the clock. There's no more helpless feeling in sports than watching a team line up for a potential game winning chip shot field goal with an almost expired clock. Seen that scenario play out too many times lately and I was afraid that's what we were looking at again.
    Again, they were on the road with a chance to win. You take the points, period. If they don't make it, yes, they're backed up on the 1, but all they need is one first down, and the game is over. If you couldn't trust them to hold the lead, how could you trust them to get the ball back with enough time to win the game? Tomlin made the right call, and just about every other coach would do the same thing in that scenario.

It all worked out in the end - the Steelers won so why are we even discussing this?