Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 - where's your head at currently

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

2011 - where's your head at currently

As some of the regulars here would know, I have a tendancy to over analyse the draft process.
    (As do a couple of other members).

With your help I would like to see where my current thought patterns sit in relation to yours.

My first consideration is the First round draft trends of the last few years. What might they be

2010 - Maurkice Pouncey OC Junior ( 21yrs)
    2009 - Ziggy Hood DE Senior ( 22 yrs)
    2008 - Rashard Mendenhall RB Junior ( 21 yrs)
    2007 - Lawrence Timmons LB Junior ( 20 / 21 yrs)
    2006 - Santonio Holmes WR Junior ( 21/22 yrs) .................... I could be out with the ages

The basic trends appear to be young players, who in most circumstances have left as juniors.

To me this suggests that Colbert likes to get young, physical specimens that the coaching staff can take their time with to mould into the steeler way.

Usually it takes 3 years to be a guaranteed starter and most are nearing the end of their first contract. The value to resign is usually not astronomical.

The second observation seems to be an alternation between offensive and defensive players. ( if I add in Heath Miller for 2005 then it destroys this observation)

The third observation is that the steelers usually sit and wait for their player to land in their lap.

My other casual observation is that the steelers usually like to draft to fill a hole that is going to appear in approximately 2 - 3 years in the starting lineup. To coincide with the expiry of a starters (who is over 30) contract.

This is how I am currently thinking (out loud for you)

I am currently leaning towards the 2011 first round draft pick being either a

1. DE ( to cover the retirement of Aaron Smith)
    2. CB ( to cover the possible loss of Ike Taylor)
    3. NT ( to cover the loss of Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke to retirement)
    4. OT ( to cover the possible loss of Willie Colon and the extreme lack of depth)
    5. ILB ( to cover the loss of James Farrior and possibly Keyaron Fox)

The juniors on my watchlist therefore are:

1. Defensive End
    a. Marcell Dareus ( no chance)
    b. JJ Watt
    c. Jared Crick

2. Corner Back
    a. Patrick Peterson ( no chance)
    b. Aaron Williams
    c. Brandon Harris

3. Nose Tackle
    a. No Idea?????

4. Offensive Tackle / Offensive Guard
    a. Matt Reynolds ( little bit older due to mormon mission - that might rule him out)
    b. Nate Potter

5. Middle Linebacker
    a. Martez Wilson
    b. Courtney Upshaw

In order I would have to go

1. CB Patrick Peterson ( not realistic. A shutdown corner – I can dream cant I)
    2. DE Marcel Dareus ( not realistic – but he would be an awesome fit)
    3. CB Aaron Williams ( now we can probably begin to hold some hope)
    4. DE JJ Watt -- could he be the next Aaron Smith or is he just Adam Carriker???
    5. OT Matt Reynolds -- been pimpin him for a while but how old is he???

What are you thinking????

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Re: 2011 - where's your head at currently

Smith is down for the year again, that make DE my #1 priority. I'll get back to you.

AML

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Maybe we pick up somebody in FA to cover the DE.
    All Defense!

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

1. DE ( to cover the retirement of Aaron Smith)
    you're right with that one. Hopefully ziggy can cover that one and let us draft someone else

if not Im jumping in the Ballard bandwagon
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    you're right with that one. Hopefully ziggy can cover that one and let us draft someone else

if not Im jumping in the Ballard bandwagon
    You think I may finally get a Hawkeye here?

AML

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

I would love to see a trade up for Dareus. ( but I dont think we will have enough trade ammo to get that high)

Otherwise we are looking at Cameron Jordan, JJ Watt or Christian Ballard.

I have been meaning to jump in on this conversation.

I would rate DE as our #1 priority especially after the Smith injury. Even with full recovery Aaron only has so much gas left in the tank.

I like Clayborn and Heyward but we have little chance to get them...that leaves Cameron Jordan and Christian Ballard as potential late 1st round picks.

2nd priority would be a OT and I think that we need to look at possibly picking up two by grabbing one in the later rounds.

In a perfect world...Potter would drop into our laps...if not we might look at Marcus Cannon or Jason Pinkston.

3rd would be a CB

Rashad Carmichael will probably rise up boards but as of now he is a late 3rd rounder. Cortez Allen is intriguing as a 6'2 corner with good speed.

4th would be a TE

The only TE that I am really interested in is Lee Smith from Marshall who has good hands and is a better than average blocker.

5th-7th would spend on small school and sleeper projects at needed positions.

I like CB Justin Rogers of Richmond and CB Ryan Jones of Northwest Missouri State...O-lineman Pat Illig from Wofford and O-lineman Adam Grant of Arizona ...NT Anthony Gray of Southern Miss and NT Chris Neild of West virginia
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I have been meaning to jump in on this conversation.

I would rate DE as our #1 priority especially after the Smith injury. Even with full recovery Aaron only has so much gas left in the tank.

I like Clayborn and Heyward but we have little chance to get them...that leaves Cameron Jordan and Christian Ballard as potential late 1st round picks.

2nd priority would be a OT and I think that we need to look at possibly picking up two by grabbing one in the later rounds.

In a perfect world...Potter would drop into our laps...if not we might look at Marcus Cannon or Jason Pinkston.

3rd would be a CB

Rashad Carmichael will probably rise up boards but as of now he is a late 3rd rounder. Cortez Allen is intriguing as a 6'2 corner with good speed.

4th would be a TE

The only TE that I am really interested in is Lee Smith from Marshall who has good hands and is a better than average blocker.

5th-7th would spend on small school and sleeper projects at needed positions.

I like CB Justin Rogers of Richmond and CB Ryan Jones of Northwest Missouri State...O-lineman Pat Illig from Wofford and O-lineman Adam Grant of Arizona ...NT Anthony Gray of Southern Miss and NT Chris Neild of West virginia
    I am changing from OT to DE in the 1st as well. Jordan and Ballard are my two top choices, but not sure Jordan will last that late. That leaves Ballard.

I don't like our chances of a OT in the 2nd. Cannon is a legitimate pick, but I still think he may end up inside.Gabe Carimi has the look of a slider to me but would he make it that deep into the 2nd, and I can't see Pinkston lasting that long either. Our biggest hope would be if Potter and Reynolds both come out this year. even if they don't make it to us they might push someone else down. We might think about going CB here, and looking at someone like James Brewer in the 3rd.

If we end up with Lee Smith you and I will have to meet someplace between us for dinner. This is the kid we both have been pushing for months.

Of course if a couple of the top Jr. DEs declare we will have to start all over.
    Keep an eye on Nick Fairley of Aubern.

By the way Aussie, I have not been able to find anything on Reynolds age, but I wouldn't think he is any older than a 5th year Sr.

AML

Ben's Wingman Array title="Merchant has a spectacular aura about"> Merchant's Avatar

...Do you guys realize we drafted a DE in the first round in 2009?? Be patient with Ziggy, I have a feeling he's going to turn out just fine. As for Corner, I think we may have something in Lewis and Butler. I'm a fan of Sylvester, I watched him play a lot at Utah and I think if he bulks up a little I think he has a chance at being the heir to James Farrior. With all that being said, I think we go O-Line or Nose Tackle in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    ...Do you guys realize we drafted a DE in the first round in 2009?? Be patient with Ziggy, I have a feeling he's going to turn out just fine. As for Corner, I think we may have something in Lewis and Butler. I'm a fan of Sylvester, I watched him play a lot at Utah and I think if he bulks up a little I think he has a chance at being the heir to James Farrior. With all that being said, I think we go O-Line or Nose Tackle in the first round.
    Not counting the two guys on the practice squad Ziggy is the only D lineman on the side of 30 that suggests he may be on the team in 5-6 years.

In 2 years time the D line will not have Aaron Smith on it, and may not having Brett Keisel. As a young DE will need more than 2 years to be 100% ready that is why I am advocating a partner in crime for Ziggy down the road.

I might go out on a limb here and suggest that Ziggy could possibly end up as a NT candidate as he gets older, bigger and stronger. At 6'3 and looking like he is over 310lbs now I can see him being a presence in the middle (given time). I kinda believe that McClendon is not really a NT candidate but more of a future DE 6'4 280 - 290.

The steelers like tall DE's (around 6'5) and I think they will be looking for at least one tall guy to groom for a DE spot this draft.

The one thing I noticed watching the Miami game was the immediate pressure Legursky was put under once Flozell left the game. Whilst Flo has been playing Legursky has been protected somewhat by the guys either side of him and more than held his own. To me this suggests that a quality RT is of more importance than a quality RG. ( Willie Colon made Darnell Stapleton and Trai Essex look much better)

At this point in time I am prioritising

1. DE
    2. RT ( definite areas of need)

For development I would then like to see
    3. CB ( if Ike goes) or FS ( if Ike stays) Ryan Clark is beginning to look slow
    4. NT
    5. OG

I am hoping that more than one Practice squad player can step up next year and make the 53 playing squad. Who knows it may be a 56 squad depending on the new CBA. If I could dream I would like to see Cromatie-Smith step up and put pressure on Ryan Mundy at FS and both McClendon and Al Woods develop.

Tex - I heard a podcast this week that suggested that Christian Ballard has not been showing up every down and some are questioning his work rate. Whats your take on this view? ( i havent seen any footage of him)

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post

Tex - I heard a podcast this week that suggested that Christian Ballard has not been showing up every down and some are questioning his work rate. Whats your take on this view? ( i havent seen any footage of him)

I may not be the best one to ask, but I haven't noticed him taking plays off, and I would not question his work ethics either. Sure, he has his bad play like everyone else, Clayborn has not had the year he did last year either, not to date anyway. He has quite a bit to learn once he gets into the pros, like most every rookie, but I am not afraid to draft him, most likely in the 1st round.

Keep in mind that he is getting more attention this year than last year. I for one am glad to see that, I think it will make him grow faster.

However, there is still a lot of football to watch, and we don't know which underclassmen with enter the draft. Stay Tuned.

By the way, I would love to see your boy Reynolds enter the draft. I think he would make one hell of a RT, not sure about LT yet. I think if he came out this year we might be able to get him with that 2nd round pick.

Next years OT class looks very thin, and very weak to me right now.

AML

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I'm really not crazy about drafting 3-4 ends early in the draft. I was unhappy when we drafted Ziggy. A lot of these guys are coming out of 4-3 schemes or ones where they do as much pass rushing than they do run clogging that the three technique is asked to do. We've taken guys like Smith and Keisel later in the draft, and I'd rather try to wait than take one early.

I think Colon will come back strong next year and we should be able to get him relatively cheaply after the injury. Left tackle becomes a little more interesting with Starks' contract winding down. I think it expires at the end of next year. In the past, I wouldn't think about us taking a tackle because of the money invested in Max but it could be a different story now or next year.

Don't really see the need for a cornerback either unless we don't end up re-signing Ike. And even then, we can manage with McFadden and Gay as the starting corners if Lewis and/or Butler show improvement. In this passive zone scheme, if you're willing to play the run and be a consistent tackler, you can be a cornerback for us. We've only drafted two cornerbacks in the first round since 1979; I don't see it being a number one priority.

Maybe this season, I'll back off the NT talk for the first round at least with Hampton locked up and looking fine. I really like Kenrick Ellis and if we could get him in the second round, I'd be elated. I'd be happy with Jerrell Powe or even Anthony Gray in the later rounds. There are a couple of really promising nose tackles out there, really a deep class. Too bad Ian Williams hurt his MCL.

I wanted to take Dez Bryant this season even over Pouncey when they both fell to us. I'd love to grab a big-time WR. Hines isn't going to be around much longer and if you want to maintain a strong passing offense, you need multiple weapons. Wallace still needs to improve his game quite a bit to be a well-rounded threat. His speed is unmatched, but his route running and ability to use the full route tree is an issue. I'm not too keen on the WR class but a guy like Hankerson or Paul would be a huge addition.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

franchise nose tackle

With the rash of injuries...the lack of depth at specific positions...and the lack of productivity at other positions...i think that this is a good point in the season to reevaluate where our head is in regards to the next draft.

Here is a quick hit as to how I am thinking right now.

1) OT Gabe Carimi Wisconsin, Height: 6-7 Weight: 322
    I have always been a bit wary of tall OT's due to their inabiloity to bend at the knees..I have watched 3 Wisconsin games and can safely say that Carinmi does NOT have that problem. He appears to be a strong and agile and should be available at the end of the first round.

2) CB Rashad Carmichael Virginia Tech, Height: 5-10 Weight: 182
    Speedy CB with exceptional hands...A lot of draft boards have him as a late 3rd rounder which is silly. He should be climbing draft boards as more draftniks stumble upon him. he had 6 INT's last year and has 4 so far this year with a combined 158 tackles over that time period. Good in run support and will NOT be out ran with his 4.38 speed.

3) DE Cedric Thornton Southern Arkansas, Height: 6-4 Weight: 295
    OH I love me some sleeper picks!!!! Thornton had 23 tackles for loss last year with 8.5 sacks..This year he has already added 13 more TFL's and 2 sacks, even though he missed two games due to injury. I know he plays at a small school...but so did Aaron Smith!

4) OG Will Rackley Lehigh, Height: 6-4 Weight: 305
    Another player that will climb boards as scouts start watching tapes. Throwback player who LOVES contact...add the fact that he is a strong technician...solid work ethic...and farm-boy strong...and you have the makings of a very good NFL prospect.

5) TE Lee Smith Marshall, Height: 6-6 Weight: 267
    Tex and I have talked about this guy before...and now he has had tow HUGE games in a row. Best blocking TE in this draft and surpricingly good hands. Great player to compliment Miller and makes Spaeth expendable.

6) Kicker Alex Henery, Nebraska, Height: 6-2 Weight: 175
    Got to look at bringing in a kicker if Skippy is on his way out of town. The Steelers might bring in a spare tire until the end of th season but we need to look long term in the next draft. Henery is 13 for 14 with a 92.9% completion rate. He is a perfect 45 of 45 for extra points and has score 84 points for the cornhuskers. He is 7-8 in the 40 + yard range and has made three fieldgoals of 50+ yards. His only miss this year was from 51 yards and technically didnt "miss" since a blocker missed their assignment and the field goal was blocked. He also can punt and averages 41.6 yards a punt this year.

7) OG Pat Illig, Wofford, Height 6-5 Weight 320
    Their are small school prospects..and then their small-small school prospects, but don't be fooled into thinking that Illig should be overlooked. Virtually every NFL team has sent a representative to scout out this player. I have said it a million times, the 7th round is for small school prospects or players that missed a portion of their senior year due to injury.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

With the rash of injuries...the lack of depth at specific positions...and the lack of productivity at other positions...i think that this is a good point in the season to reevaluate where our head is in regards to the next draft.

Here is a quick hit as to how I am thinking right now.

1) OT Gabe Carimi Wisconsin, Height: 6-7 Weight: 322
    I have always been a bit wary of tall OT's due to their inabiloity to bend at the knees..I have watched 3 Wisconsin games and can safely say that Carinmi does NOT have that problem. He appears to be a strong and agile and should be available at the end of the first round.

2) CB Rashad Carmichael Virginia Tech, Height: 5-10 Weight: 182
    Speedy CB with exceptional hands...A lot of draft boards have him as a late 3rd rounder which is silly. He should be climbing draft boards as more draftniks stumble upon him. he had 6 INT's last year and has 4 so far this year with a combined 158 tackles over that time period. Good in run support and will NOT be out ran with his 4.38 speed.

3) DE Cedric Thornton Southern Arkansas, Height: 6-4 Weight: 295
    OH I love me some sleeper picks!!!! Thornton had 23 tackles for loss last year with 8.5 sacks..This year he has already added 13 more TFL's and 2 sacks, even though he missed two games due to injury. I know he plays at a small school...but so did Aaron Smith!

4) OG Will Rackley Lehigh, Height: 6-4 Weight: 305
    Another player that will climb boards as scouts start watching tapes. Throwback player who LOVES contact...add the fact that he is a strong technician...solid work ethic...and farm-boy strong...and you have the makings of a very good NFL prospect.

5) TE Lee Smith Marshall, Height: 6-6 Weight: 267
    Tex and I have talked about this guy before...and now he has had tow HUGE games in a row. Best blocking TE in this draft and surpricingly good hands. Great player to compliment Miller and makes Spaeth expendable.

6) Kicker Alex Henery, Nebraska, Height: 6-2 Weight: 175
    Got to look at bringing in a kicker if Skippy is on his way out of town. The Steelers might bring in a spare tire until the end of th season but we need to look long term in the next draft. Henery is 13 for 14 with a 92.9% completion rate. He is a perfect 45 of 45 for extra points and has score 84 points for the cornhuskers. He is 7-8 in the 40 + yard range and has made three fieldgoals of 50+ yards. His only miss this year was from 51 yards and technically didnt "miss" since a blocker missed their assignment and the field goal was blocked. He also can punt and averages 41.6 yards a punt this year.

7) OG Pat Illig, Wofford, Height 6-5 Weight 320
    Their are small school prospects..and then their small-small school prospects, but don't be fooled into thinking that Illig should be overlooked. Virtually every NFL team has sent a representative to scout out this player. I have said it a million times, the 7th round is for small school prospects or players that missed a portion of their senior year due to injury.

Man Perry, this is spookie. You have at 4 and 6 two kids that I have been looking at really, really hard the last 3 weeks.

Most have Rackley as an OG, but I'm not conviced he couldn't play RT. I am hoping he can stay a secret, but not likely to happen.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Man Perry, this is spookie. You have at 4 and 6 two kids that I have been looking at really, really hard the last 3 weeks.

Most have Rackley as an OG, but I'm not conviced he couldn't play RT. I am hoping he can stay a secret, but not likely to happen.
    I had Brewer at #4...but he can't stay healthy. I think Rackley can indeed play guard or tackle..and I love that versatility.

Carimi is REALLY growing on me...there is nothing about his game that I dont like and I think he would be there for us at the end of the 1st round. If we could get Carimi and Rackley I would be very happy. If Illig is there at the end of the 7th round, I would do a back flip.

-- Jack Lambert --

I had Brewer at #4...but he can't stay healthy. I think Rackley can indeed play guard or tackle..and I love that versatility.

Carimi is REALLY growing on me...there is nothing about his game that I dont like and I think he would be there for us at the end of the 1st round. If we could get Carimi and Rackley I would be very happy. If Illig is there at the end of the 7th round, I would do a back flip.

Yes and you throw in Carmichael, who you know is one of my favorites, and Thornton, who I think is under rated right now, and this could end up one hell of a draft.

Thats not even counting Smith, and a very good kicker.

AML

At the moment I am thinking along the lines of:

Round 1 - Matt Reynolds OT BYU 6'6 320
    Initially a RT that in time can transition to LT

Round 2 - Duenta Williams FS NC 6'1 215
    Ryan Clark is being exposed frequently for his lack of range and ball hawking. Ryan Mundy is no heir apparent. I think FS is a major weakness on the current roster. The last time a safety was taken this high it was a bonehead who was more suited to SS. Time to get a true FS with talent.

Round 3 - Christian Ballard DE Iowa 6'5 290
    DE is a huge need. I just cant see that many 3-4 DE's going in the first two rounds. There is so much D line talent that I think some guys fall. Ballard is that man.

Round 4 - Justin Boren OG OSU 6'3 320
    The interior of the O line is in need of some competition. Our 4th round picks are not guaranteed of sticking on the roster anymore. Time to load up with O line talent

Round 5 - Lee Ziemba OT / OG Auburn 6'6' 320
    Lets keep bringing in some bodies to compete on the O line. If Trai Essex, Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky can stick and then start it shows how much the steelers value position flexibility. I can see players who have similar position flexibility getting a draft hat next year. Ziemba is a bigger version combo lineman.

Round 6 - Kai Forbath K UCLA 5'11 192
    Somewhere at #6 or #7 a kicker is going to be brought in for a test run. I know he hasnt kicked a ball or a towel dispenser yet but I dont think Sushiman is the long term answer for the steelers

Round 7 - Greg McElroy QB Alabama 6'2 225
    I have no idea this late in the draft. My sleeper radar is not working this year. ( for the first time in a long while i have not seen any college ball)
    I'll take a punt that the steelers grab a QB who has played in a good program who falls because he doesnt have great measurables.

I know it is not a flashy mock by I think this is the year to go big and bring some bodies in who are eager. There will be no better time for a young lineman to possibly score a roster spot.

At the moment I am thinking along the lines of:

Round 1 - Matt Reynolds OT BYU 6'6 320
    Initially a RT that in time can transition to LT

Round 2 - Duenta Williams FS NC 6'1 215
    Ryan Clark is being exposed frequently for his lack of range and ball hawking. Ryan Mundy is no heir apparent. I think FS is a major weakness on the current roster. The last time a safety was taken this high it was a bonehead who was more suited to SS. Time to get a true FS with talent.

Round 3 - Christian Ballard DE Iowa 6'5 290
    DE is a huge need. I just cant see that many 3-4 DE's going in the first two rounds. There is so much D line talent that I think some guys fall. Ballard is that man.

Round 4 - Justin Boren OG OSU 6'3 320
    The interior of the O line is in need of some competition. Our 4th round picks are not guaranteed of sticking on the roster anymore. Time to load up with O line talent

Round 5 - Lee Ziemba OT / OG Auburn 6'6' 320
    Lets keep bringing in some bodies to compete on the O line. If Trai Essex, Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky can stick and then start it shows how much the steelers value position flexibility. I can see players who have similar position flexibility getting a draft hat next year. Ziemba is a bigger version combo lineman.

Round 6 - Kai Forbath K UCLA 5'11 192
    Somewhere at #6 or #7 a kicker is going to be brought in for a test run. I know he hasnt kicked a ball or a towel dispenser yet but I dont think Sushiman is the long term answer for the steelers

Round 7 - Greg McElroy QB Alabama 6'2 225
    I have no idea this late in the draft. My sleeper radar is not working this year. ( for the first time in a long while i have not seen any college ball)
    I'll take a punt that the steelers grab a QB who has played in a good program who falls because he doesnt have great measurables.

I know it is not a flashy mock by I think this is the year to go big and bring some bodies in who are eager. There will be no better time for a young lineman to possibly score a roster spot.

I like Reynolds quite a bit and if he comes out this year would like seeing him on our line

I kinda like Jaiquawn Jarrett at FS, but Williams is a little bigger and half a tick faster. Would be a good player for us.

Don't know if Ballard slides that far in the 3rd, but if he does would be a great 3rd round pick for us.

The rest are all solid picks, and are just about where they should land. If Forbath is gone you might take a look at Alex Henery of Neb.

Flashy or not I like your picks, but you know how I love the big uglies.

Good work Aussie.

AML

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

For what it's worth, I've been very impressed with Camiri too and am surprised that guys like Costanzo seem to be getting more love than him.

I only watched him for the first time last week, but I saw where the comments about Ballard taking plays off comes from. If the play wasn't running to his side, he didn't bother pursuing. There was a run off tackle to the left, opposite of Ballard, and he quit on the play the second the back took off to the left. For all he knows, the back is going to try and cut it back and he won't have backside contain.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

You think I may finally get a Hawkeye here?
    From your lips to God's ears.

I kinda like Jaiquawn Jarrett at FS, but Williams is a little bigger and half a tick faster. Would be a good player for us.
    In the new Goodell era of no hitting in the secondary I think a FS in the mold of Ryan Clark may begin to become a liability. The game may transition towards a pure ball hawking FS that wraps up on tackles. It is going to be hard for hitters like Clark to tone down their natural instincts.

I am guessing that a cover guy with good range could be on the menu this year. This would allow Troy a little more freedom to bite on a few more plays.

In the new Goodell era of no hitting in the secondary I think a FS in the mold of Ryan Clark may begin to become a liability. The game may transition towards a pure ball hawking FS that wraps up on tackles. It is going to be hard for hitters like Clark to tone down their natural instincts.

I am guessing that a cover guy with good range could be on the menu this year. This would allow Troy a little more freedom to bite on a few more plays.
    Thats a good point Aussie, guess its going to take me a while to get use to Goodell ball.
    Plus,,,,,,,,,,,, You know darn well I haven't been please with our coverage of late.

As far as DE is concerned, have you had a chance to see Thornton, I was trying to keep an eye on him, and LLT brought him up earlier, I was also watching Taylor out of Olka. but it sounds like his injury will set him back for a while.

AML

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I think we should go for the best left tackle in the draft and move Kemo to right guard because thats his natural position.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Well, most will say LT of CB probably. And we do need to address those positions, but let us not forget the d'line. In Lebeau's system (and even if he were to retire I would doubt is we would make drastic changes immediately) you have to have players who can "win" on the d'line, if they are singly blocked. Casey is having a great year, but we must find his eventual replacement. Eason has played pretty well, but he is an effective, but not spectacular stop gap measure at best. I am still not sold on Ziggy. He has played ok for his first opportunity to play. However, I am not convinced that he will ever be able to get the consistent "push" necessary to excel at DE in a 3-4. I still see him hand fighting more than he should. Hand fighting doesn't help our linebackers get to the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    For what it's worth, I've been very impressed with Camiri too and am surprised that guys like Costanzo seem to be getting more love than him.

I only watched him for the first time last week, but I saw where the comments about Ballard taking plays off comes from. If the play wasn't running to his side, he didn't bother pursuing. There was a run off tackle to the left, opposite of Ballard, and he quit on the play the second the back took off to the left. For all he knows, the back is going to try and cut it back and he won't have backside contain.

Of course...you know that since we are all becoming enamored with Carimi.....he will end up going early in the draft and we will get no shot at him!!!!

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Well, most will say LT of CB probably. And we do need to address those positions, but let us not forget the d'line. In Lebeau's system (and even if he were to retire I would doubt is we would make drastic changes immediately) you have to have players who can "win" on the d'line, if they are singly blocked. Casey is having a great year, but we must find his eventual replacement. Eason has played pretty well, but he is an effective, but not spectacular stop gap measure at best. I am still not sold on Ziggy. He has played ok for his first opportunity to play. However, I am not convinced that he will ever be able to get the consistent "push" necessary to excel at DE in a 3-4. I still see him hand fighting more than he should. Hand fighting doesn't help our linebackers get to the QB.

You are right on the money. Unfortunately with having some holes at LT and CB...it pushes the need for a DE back a couple of rounds. You almost have to grab LT and CB first...because history has shown that we can get a pretty good DE in the 3rd-5th rounds. Whereas, outside of the first two rounds, LT and CB propects are a crapshoot. NT's on the other hand are rare...but I dont think we will grab one THIS year. The new contract with Casey and the more than adequate Hoke allow us to wait a year.

Here are some 3-4 DE prospects that are ranked in the 3rd to 5th rounds this year.

Christian Ballard of Iowa Height: 6-5. Weight: 285.
    Its my guess that Ballard will fall to the 3rd round...he is his own worst enemy right now by showing a lack of effort on some plays. Seems to give up before the whistle is blown. The right coach might light a fire under his ass and make him play up to his potential.

Jarvis Jenkins of Clemson Height: 6-4. Weight: 313
    Might go higher than the 3rd round but if not he would be an interesting pickup. Much quicker and more athletic than you would think a man his size would be.

Sione Fua of Stanford Height: 6-2 Weight: 306
    I love Fua...Most draftniks project him as a NT/DT but after watching him, I think that he has the skill set to play 3-4 DE. Though a little shorter than I prefer my DE's...With his versatility of being able to pay NT, he woud be a win/win gamble in the third round.

Ian Williams of Notre Dame Height: 6-2 Weight: 305
    The draft is all about value. Williams hurt his knee and is out the reminder of the season. We could draft him in the 4th-5th round and everything that I said about Fua...applies to Williams.

Cedric Thornton of Southern Arkansas Height: 6-4 Weight: 295
    I have previously broke down Cedric Thorntons stats and abilities....yes he is from a small school but he has perfect 3-4 DE size and lets not forget about another player that I pimped in '08...Kendall Langford of Hampton. He is now a starting DE for Miam and has 29 tackles 3 sacks and 4 tackles for loss this season. They have similar size and similar stats.

Pernell McPhee of Mississippi State Height: 6-3 Weight: 285
    Personally I believe he needs to add about 15 lbs of muscle...sometimes seems as if he cant fight through the block.

Karl Klug of Iowa Height: 6-3 Weight: 270
    Will either drop 10 lbs and play LB...or gain weight to be a DE/DT. Klug isnt mentioned much when people talk about Iowa, but he is a very capable player. I think his best position would be a either a 4-3 DE or 3-4 DE at about 290 lbs.

Not Interested:

Mike Blanc of Auburn Height: 6-4. Weight: 288.
    Missed games due to suspension for cheap shots.

Lazarius Levingston of LSU Height: 6-3 Weight: 280
    Cant stay healthy.

Greg Romeus of Pittsburgh Height: 6-5 Weight: 270
    I have marked him completey off my board....he just had back surgery, which raises SERIOUS red flags with me

-- Jack Lambert --

Karl Klug of Iowa Height: 6-3 Weight: 270
    Will either drop 10 lbs and play LB...or gain weight to be a DE/DT. Klug isnt mentioned much when people talk about Iowa, but he is a very capable player. I think his best position would be a either a 4-3 DE or 3-4 DE at about 290 lbs.

I was wondering when someone would bring his name up. I didn't want to be the one, homer you know.

Karl has been having a very good year, and has raised his stock a great deal. He may have been the most consistant DL so far. I see him as more of a OLB convertion kit, but he does look to have to room to build himself up to DE size. I think we could get him fairly cheap as well.

I also agree that Ballard has screwed himself, and probably fallen into the 3rd round.

LLT have you had a chance to look at the underclassman Daniels.

AML

Romeus also tore his ACL. If draft stock was a game of Chutes and Ladders, Romeus would be in last place.

LLT have you had a chance to look at the underclassman Daniels.
    If Daniels wants to maximize his draft potential...he needs to put on about 20 -30 lbs. That being said... he is a fireplug who seems to give an extreme effort on each play.

If he was above 300 lbs....I would have him VERY high on my 2012 NT wish list

-- Jack Lambert --