Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 - where's your head at currently

Re: 2011 - where's your head at currently

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Romeus also tore his ACL. If draft stock was a game of Chutes and Ladders, Romeus would be in last place.
    That sucks for him....The ACL would make teams raise an eyebrow... but plenty of players come back from that. The back surgery pretty much ended any profesional aspirations Romeus had.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

This should be the draft plan load up on defensive linemen and defensive backs and draft a guard

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    This should be the draft plan load up on defensive linemen and defensive backs and draft a guard
    We HAVE to get a LT....its gotta be #1 priority.

I agree that we need a OG but that is going to have to wait. LT is the second most important position on the field and we have ignored it way too long.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I'm getting sick to my stomach watching this revolving door at RG.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I'm getting sick to my stomach watching this revolving door at RG.
    I know how you feel Chidi. I've been screaming my head off for years about out OT situation. I really think that we can get a good RT probably future LT, and a good RG in this years draft. There seems to be a lot of Tackles the will be Guard in the pros. Then again, you never really know till they get here.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I know how you feel Chidi. I've been screaming my head off for years about out OT situation. I really think that we can get a good RT probably future LT, and a good RG in this years draft. There seems to be a lot of Tackles the will be Guard in the pros. Then again, you never really know till they get here.
    The OT/OG situation has got to be taken care of. Here are some possibilites in the first three rounds.

1st Round
    I would love to get OT Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin, he is by far my favorite OT in this upcoming draft ,even though he isnt ranked in the top 3 on most draft boards. He may still be available towards the end of round one.

Believe it or not...the probablity of OG Mike Pouncey being available to us at the end of the first round is very realistic.

2nd Round
    OT Danny Watkins of Baylor has had like 121 knockdown blocks in his first 10 games this year. He is currently ranked as a late 2nd rounder but to be honest...I think he has first round talent.

OG Benjamin Ijalana of Villanova is a very good pass blocker and run blocker. He might rise up boards but OG's are rarely high priority players and there is usually good value in the 2nd-5th rounds.

3rd round
    James Carpenter of Alabama is a high-effort, very athletic OT. He has a slight hitch in his kickslide that will keep him out of the first two rounds but not only do I think its fixable, but I think he is more suited for the left side than Max Starks.

OG Will Rackley of Lehigh is ranked as low as a 6th rounder on some sites....dont believe it. If we can get him ANYWHERE after the 2nd round...we got a him at a value.

-- Jack Lambert --

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Right at this moment my positional draft would be

1- OT
    2- CB
    3- DE
    4- OG

Of course a lot of this depends on who is actually available.

I do agree with Aussie that a FS would be extremely attractive.

AML

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

1- OT
    2- CB
    3- DE
    4- OG

Agree we for sure need an OT early and a corner or safety that is the way I want the draft to go.

1- OT
    2- CB
    3- DE
    4- OG

That goes along with my last mock draft...

1) OT Gabe Carimi Wisconsin, Height: 6-7 Weight: 322
    2) CB Rashad Carmichael Virginia Tech, Height: 5-10 Weight: 182
    3) DE Cedric Thornton Southern Arkansas, Height: 6-4 Weight: 295
    4) OG Will Rackley Lehigh, Height: 6-4 Weight: 305
    5) TE Lee Smith Marshall, Height: 6-6 Weight: 267
    6) Kicker Alex Henery, Nebraska, Height: 6-2 Weight: 175
    7) OG Pat Illig, Wofford, Height 6-5 Weight 320

Now...If we want a FS...we could pick up FS Mark LeGree from Appalachian State in the 5th or 6th round...another small school sleeper. But check this out...Two-time first-team All-American... Legree had seven INTs in 2009 and led the nation in 2008 with 10 INT's. He now has a career 22 interceptions!!!! Why this guy isnt getting any love is beyond me. Good in run support...

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    That goes along with my last mock draft...

Now...If we want a FS...we could pick up FS Mark LeGree from Appalachian State in the 5th or 6th round...another small school sleeper. But check this out...Two-time first-team All-American... Legree had seven INTs in 2009 and led the nation in 2008 with 10 INT's. He now has a career 22 interceptions!!!! Why this guy isnt getting any love is beyond me. Good in run support...

Something to think about, but I'm just not ready to give up Smith or Henery right yet.

AML

Something to think about, but I'm just not ready to give up Smith or Henery right yet.
    I need to look into whether we have traded for any draft picks or are owed any draft picks in 2011....I dont think so but I need to look.

-- Jack Lambert --

Nope...nothing traded.

NFL Draft 2011 Traded Picks
    Updated - October 20, 2010
    NFL Trading Period opens March 5th thru October 19, 2010 - 4 pm est
    NFL Trade Free Agency Period starts March 5, 2011 thru mid July 2011

NFL Draft 2011

1st Round
    New England from Oakland - DT Richard Seymour

2nd Round
    Denver from Miami - WR Brandon Marshall
    New England from Carolina (2010 draft day trade)

3rd Round
    San Diego from the NY Jets - CB Antonio Cromartie - pick could become a #2 in time
    San Diego from Seattle - QB Charley Whitehurst
    Philadelphia gets a conditional #3 or #4 from Washington - QB Donovan McNabb
    New Orleans has a conditional #3 or #4 from Washington - OT Jammal Brown
    New England from Minnesota - WR Randy Moss

4th round
    San Francisco from San Diego (2010 draft day trade)
    Jacksonville from New Orleans (2010 draft day trade)
    New England from Denver - RB Lawrence Maroney
    Buffalo from Seattle - RB Marshawn Lynch
    Seattle from New England - WR Deion Branch

5th round
    Philadelphia from San Diego (2010 draft day trade)
    Tampa Bay from Denver (2010 draft day trade)
    Seattle from Baltimore - CB Josh Wilson
    Minnesota from NY Giants - QB Sage Rosenfels/WR-KR Darius Renaud

6th Round
    Philadelphia from Tampa Bay - WR Reggie Brown
    Cleveland from Denver - QB Brady Quinn
    Detroit from Philadelphia (2010 draft day trade)
    New England from New Orleans - TE David Thomas
    San Francisco from Seattle - DT Kentwan Balmer
    Seattle from Detroit – DE Lawrence Jackson
    Arizona from Philadelphia - OG Reggie Wells

7th Round
    New England from New Orleans - TE David Thomas
    Detroit from NY Jets - QB Kevin O'Connell
    NY Jets from Arizona - FS Kerry Rhodes
    San Fran from Detroit - QB Shaun Hill
    Atlanta from Detroit - CB Chris Houston
    Dallas from San Diego - WR Patrick Crayton
    Philadelphia from Seattle - OT Stacy Andrews
    Chicago has a conditional #7 from St. Louis - DB Kevin Payne
    Miami has a conditional #7 from Jacksonville - OG Justin Smiley
    Jacksonville has a conditional #7 from Green Bay - SS Anthony Smith

Dallas surrendered pick for DT Josh Price-Brent (Supplemental Draft 2010)
    Chicago surrendered pick for RB Harvey Unga (Supplemental Draft 2010)

Conditional Picks 2011
    Green Bay from Carolina - LS J.J. Jansen
    Seattle from Cleveland - QB Seneca Wallace
    Washington gets either a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick from New Orleans to complete deal for OT Jammal Brown
    Philadelphia will receive Washington's 3rd round pick and New Orleans with get the Redskins #4 pick if the Redskins either win 9 games or make to the playoffs this coming season or if QB Donovan McNabb is voted to the Pro Bowl. If those conditions aren't met then New Orleans will get the Redskins 3rd round pick Philadelphia gets their #4 pick. If New Orleans gets Washington's 3rd round pick then the Redskins will get a 5th rounder to complete the deal. If the Saints only get the Redskins #4 pick then Washington gets a 6th or 7th rounder to complete the deal
    Atlanta has an undisclosed pick from New England - OG Quinn Ojinnaka
    Dallas has an undisclosed pick from Miami - OT Pat McQuistan
    Baltimore has an undisclosed pick from Philadelphia - OLB Antwan Barnes
    Washington has an undisclosed pick from Indianapolis - CB Justin Tyron
    Kansas City has an undisclosed pick from New England - S Jarrad Page
    Jacksonville has a conditional pick from Cincinnati - S Reggie Nelson
    Philadelphia has an undisclosed pick from New England - LB Tracy White
    Baltimore has an undisclosed late round pick from St. Louis - WR Mark Clayton
    Kansas City from Tampa Bay - DE Alex Magee
    Tampa from Kansas City - DE Alex Magee

-- Jack Lambert --

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

For what it's worth, I've been very impressed with Camiri too and am surprised that guys like Costanzo seem to be getting more love than him.
    Just remember the last Badger we drafted. Although they have great run blockers, the pass protection is something that brings them down in grading. Camiri has some nice size, but I think Costanzo plays better from the neck up, and has better feet, imo. Thus, the love. Plus, he has been very durable.

Although, I'd be down for getting any tackle of good quality early. Outside of CB, probably still my #1 priority for us.

Speaking of size in a LT... anyone like the converted TE Nate Solder from Colorado? The kid is big, but quick. He doesn't have a lot of experience at LT, and that could be his biggest fault.

1- OT
    2- CB
    3- DE
    4- OG

I'm down with that structure, Tex. And even though we still may need a developmental FS, I don't think it's as much a priority for me as last year. We haven't seen too much of Allen, but he and Mundy seem up to the task so far. We have a lot of bodies at CB... just not that prototypical shutdown guy. For as much criticism as he takes, Ike is the closest we have. Moving one of those other guys to FS could be just as effective as getting a late round FS in the draft.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

LLT, did you get a chance to watch Rackley against Lafayette?

First time I got to watched him and came away impressed.

LLT, did you get a chance to watch Rackley against Lafayette?

First time I got to watched him and came away impressed.
    I absolutely LOVE Rackley...the only two Guards that I have ranked over him are Pouncy and Ijalana....He is ranked at #12 at NFLdraftscout....which blows me away. I pray that he is still ranked lower on draft day.

I feel the same way about LT Danny Watkins of Baylor....he is so much more fundamentally sound then players ranked above him..that I get a little excited thinking that if Carimi is gone, he would still be available.

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Just remember the last Badger we drafted. Although they have great run blockers, the pass protection is something that brings them down in grading. Camiri has some nice size, but I think Costanzo plays better from the neck up, and has better feet, imo. Thus, the love. Plus, he has been very durable.

Although, I'd be down for getting any tackle of good quality early. Outside of CB, probably still my #1 priority for us.

Speaking of size in a LT... anyone like the converted TE Nate Solder from Colorado? The kid is big, but quick. He doesn't have a lot of experience at LT, and that could be his biggest fault.

I'm down with that structure, Tex. And even though we still may need a developmental FS, I don't think it's as much a priority for me as last year. We haven't seen too much of Allen, but he and Mundy seem up to the task so far. We have a lot of bodies at CB... just not that prototypical shutdown guy. For as much criticism as he takes, Ike is the closest we have. Moving one of those other guys to FS could be just as effective as getting a late round FS in the draft.
    I like Costanzo and Solder....the only problem is that they are gong to go in the first 25 picks in the draft. If we get either of them...something had gone VERY wrong in our season.

I am looking at prospects that might be available in back end of the first round and the early part of the 2nd.

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post

I find Camiri and Urbik to be two completely different players. Obviously, the position is different. LT vs RG. Camiri moves his feet much better and doesn't get by on raw power and size like I saw from Urbik when he came out.

If you want to play the Wisconsin game, the last LT to be drafted from there is Joe Thomas.

These are just a couple notes I have on Camiri from the time I spend watching him. It is from mostly early in the year because I came away so impressed, I didn't feel like I needed to watch him anymore. I should catch another game just to make sure, but it's tough finding the time when there's so many other guys I want to look at.

I apoloigize in advance if my terminology is off or if I'm trying too hard to sound like a "draftnik". I'm continuing to learn about each position and what to look for.

vs UNLV

Fired out of his stance, smooth kickslide. Kept feet moving in run and pass blocking. Athletic, can get to and engage at the 2nd level. Great run blocking. Excellent frame. Will bend his waist too much in the run game. Injuries have piled up over the years.

vs San Jose St (1 half)

Physical, strong at point of attack, blows men off the line. Good job of getting to second level. Isn't phased by spin moves in pass protection.

vs Austin Peay

Lesser opponent, but shows ability to take defenders out of the play. Athletic when pulling and has ability to engage at 2nd level. Good foundation, didn't get beat. Might overextend his hands at times. Good first punch. Finishes, has a mean streak.

vs Michigan St

Solid base, moves well laterally. Did seem to lunge and get beat badly on seperate occassions. Game over when he locks on. Arms extended and keeps feet underneath. Seals ends as well as any tackle in college. Even went from a seal to blocking LB Greg Jones (top linebacking prospect) in one fluid motion. Got a few snaps at RT, too.

I absolutely LOVE Rackley...the only two Guards that I have ranked over him are Pouncy and Ijalana....He is ranked at #12 at NFLdraftscout....which blows me away. I pray that he is still ranked lower on draft day.

I feel the same way about LT Danny Watkins of Baylor....he is so much more fundamentally sound then players ranked above him..that I get a little excited thinking that if Carimi is gone, he would still be available.
    I'll have to go look at the Baylor/Oklahoma game. To be honest, I hadn't even heard of Watkins until now.

I'll have to go look at the Baylor/Oklahoma game. To be honest, I hadn't even heard of Watkins until now.
    Here is the write up from CBS Sports/NFLdraftscout

11/19/2010 - Baylor football student-athletes Danny Watkins and Phil Taylor will play for the South team in the 62nd annual Under Armour Senior Bowl on Jan. 29 at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala..... Watkins, a native of Kelowna, British Columbia, leads a Baylor offensive line that ranks second in the Big 12 and is tied for 34th nationally in sacks allowed. That same offensive line paves the way for a rushing offense that ranks third in the Big 12 and 24th nationally. Watkins has graded 91 percent or higher in six games and has recorded 12 or more knockdowns in a game four times this season. He leads the team with 121 knockdowns through the first 11 games.

Overview
    Gregarious leader and anchor of offensive line as starting left tackle … Native Canadian and former junior college transfer in second and final season at Baylor … One of seven returning starters on offense … One of four BU returnees who started all 12 games in 2009, one of two on offense … Has squated 570 pounds, benched 400 … Total of three seasons of football experience, former firefighter grew up playing hockey.

-- Jack Lambert --

Just watched the Baylor game, and I came away impressed with Watkins going up against stiff competition, facing Beal some of the time.

You're dead on LLT when it comes to him fundmentally. He plays with a strong base, no bending at the waist or getting stiff and losing leverage. He mirrors very well and isn't too quick to seal the edge like a lot of tackles are. He got his arms extended and kept the DE from getting into control. I thought he lunged in the run game a tad bit, but overall, it was a good showing. I'm glad you brought him up.

It is hard for me to believe that Carimi will be there late in the first, but if he is there he would be on top of my wish list. I have not watched Watkins this year but have seen him before and have read quite a bit about him. You know that I like Pinkson but will be happy to take yours and Chidi's opinion that Watkins is that much better.

Again you know that Pouncy and Ijalana are my two favorites at the OG position, but have been reading a lot the last month on Rackey and am starting to get excited about him. I hope I get a chance to see him before the year is over, I'm sure he will be at one of the all star games. There are also a few OTs that I think might be OGs in the pros like Carpenter, Cannon, and I still kind of like the kid Ziemba as a possible guard.

I could not think of a whole lot that would make me happier than Carimi, in the 1st, and Rackey in the 4th.

You know who I like at CB in the 2nd, but I'm still trying to work on a DE in the 3rd.

We got a good start on our O-line last year, maybe this year they will finish the smile they started last year.

AML

Tex,

Do you get espn3?

You might be able to catch the Leigh/Lafayette game and watch Rackley. The games seem to be only archived for about a week so I don't know if you'll see this in time. But if you want to check it out, he's #74 and Leigh's left tackle.

LLT,

I did see a couple things in Watkins' bio that could hurt his stock.

He's only been playing football since 2007.

He'll be a 26 1/2 year old rookie.

LLT,

I did see a couple things in Watkins' bio that could hurt his stock.

He's only been playing football since 2007.

He'll be a 26 1/2 year old rookie.

I actually LOVE that. He was a Firefighter for a couple of years before going to college!!!! Hopefully his stock is hurt enough for us to get him at a value!!!

I saw your previous post on him...glad you like him.

-- Jack Lambert --

OK guys here is something I've read about and been running through my mind.

Say Troy Smith comes out this year. He is a good years of weight training from even playing so would teams spend a top 20 - 25 pick on him. I think the kid is very, very good, and have heard him described as a sure LT. Scott has be passable at LT but may be much better at RT. Would you draft him, if available, and wait a year for him to put on 20 - 25 lbs and get stronger knowing he would do you little to no good next year?

AML

OK guys here is something I've read about and been running through my mind.

Say Troy Smith comes out this year. He is a good years of weight training from even playing so would teams spend a top 20 - 25 pick on him. I think the kid is very, very good, and have heard him described as a sure LT. Scott has be passable at LT but may be much better at RT. Would you draft him, if available, and wait a year for him to put on 20 - 25 lbs and get stronger knowing he would do you little to no good next year?
    I'm pretty sure you are talking about Tyrone Smith of Southern California. Ugh...thinking a year ahead is more to wrap my mind around. But to honest...I have had that same debate in my head in regards to Nate Potter who is playing guard this year but will be a LT in the pros.

-- Jack Lambert --

I'm pretty sure you are talking about Tyrone Smith of Southern California. Ugh...thinking a year ahead is more to wrap my mind around. But to honest...I have had that same debate in my head in regards to Nate Potter who is playing guard this year but will be a LT in the pros.
    You know me and names.

AML

OK can anyone argue with what I've been screaming the last 3 years.

I'm know I am over reacting but right now I want to draft all OTs and OGs and one DE

AML

OK can anyone argue with what I've been screaming the last 3 years.

I'm know I am over reacting but right now I want to draft all OTs and OGs and one DE
    We put ourselves in positions to where we became committed to our line. Mainly on the left side.

We caved to Starks because we didn't want to keep putting the franchise tag on him, and were always picking too low to get a top tackle.

We gave Kemoeatu a lot of money because the Jets were offering him a big deal and we already lost Faneca to them.

With their contracts being up next year, we can start looking at tackle and guard. I just hope someone falls.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I like Costanzo and Solder....the only problem is that they are gong to go in the first 25 picks in the draft. If we get either of them...something had gone VERY wrong in our season.

I am looking at prospects that might be available in back end of the first round and the early part of the 2nd.
    Well, to be honest, I think a guy like Solder may slide because of his number of starts, while a bigger, slower footed guy like Marcus Cannon moves up. I know what your saying though. Realistically, we could get a better interior man instead of a tackle. It's been that way for a few years now... because of where we usually pick. If a tackle starts to slide our way, he usually gets scooped up just before our turn. So we could get a highly graded OG, but as of now there is only one I think may deserve it... Rodney Hudson. Pouncey is a possibility, but he's not worthy of a 1st rounder. 2nd would be a better value.

I find Camiri and Urbik to be two completely different players. Obviously, the position is different. LT vs RG. Camiri moves his feet much better and doesn't get by on raw power and size like I saw from Urbik when he came out.
    I'm with you, Chidi. I said that with a pinch of sarcasm. Not many people liked the Urbik pick, but I thought he'd be very serviceable. I think we let him go too soon, imo. Look what he did against Hood and Woodley yesterday. They were invisible for the most part.

I will agree with the fact that he'll probably move up and won't be there for us anyway, so I'm just trying to bring him down a notch.