Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired of all the damn PINK everywhere in the NFL

Well Traveled Array title="VTsteel is an unknown quantity at this point"> VTsteel's Avatar

Tired of all the damn PINK everywhere in the NFL

I don't mean to be cynical - It's just that all this pink everywhere for Breast Cancer awareness has lost it's novelty and appeal and is getting old. I don't like seeing pink every sunday. I mean WTF? Breast cancer is not the only disease women (and men) get. I do believe there are alterior (read money $$$) motives at work here. I wish we could go back to the days of just being Black, Gold and White.

Here's more:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/OnCallP...ory?id=8758937

"When Janet McNeill's sister was diagnosed with breast cancer in the early 1990s, the signature pink awareness ribbons only came with a cosmetic product or two.
    Now one can buy a week's worth of groceries, feed a cat, cure a yeast infection and catch a flight all while using pink ribbon-endorsed products and transportation. For McNeill, watching images of the National Football League players with pink gloves, pink cleats and pink towels this week pushed her cynicism over the edge.
    "At first, I got excited about all the pink. It makes you really feel good, and then seeing everyone come together at the Avon walks, it was just so exciting," said McNeill, 50, whose sister died of breast cancer in 2000. McNeil was diagnosed with the disease last June.

Pink ribbon rubber ducks, Bicycle pink ribbon playing cards, Master Lock breast cancer padlocks, and...

"As the years go on … you begin to question," said McNeill. "It's sort of like pink is green for people. It means money for them, or it means attention … but where is the money going, what are they actually doing to eradicate this?"

Am I the only one who thinks all this PINK STINKS?

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: Tired of all the damn PINK everywhere in the NFL

I don't mind the pink. I would like to know though, if all the companies that produce these pink products to raise awareness, actually give the profits to cancer research.

BTW, what is the color for prostrate cancer? It is blue. I think the NFL should have a prostrate cancer awareness month.

AKA xfl2001fan-GO BROWNS! Array title="GitNoLuv is on a distinguished road"> GitNoLuv's Avatar

Women with Breast Cancer plays more on our Sympathies than men with Prostate Cancer. Don't get your hopes high that you'll see an Ass Cancer Month.
    Official SteelUniverse Guru and BrainTrust Committee Chairman!!!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Hate to sound cynical, but this pretty much sums up my view (WARNING: Explicit Language):

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

I've had too many beers, so I probably shouldn't even comment ... but I will.

Wearing pink isn't going to help in finding a cure for cancer. Giving millions of dollars every year isn't gong to find a cure for cancer.

You want to find a cure for cancer? Have people donate and create a fund. Put a billion dollar "prize" out there. Who ever finds a cure gets the money. I GUARANTEE we'll have a cure within a year.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Suck it up champ.

I <3 tits!
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I'm glad I'm color blind

Senior Member Array title="beSteelmyheart is on a distinguished road"> beSteelmyheart's Avatar

It's all such a huge shakedown for money, too. I've heard a few shady things about the Susan G Komen fund & you can view the tax return here..
    http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...5c074f1-9A.pdf
    Spend your charity money wisely....Keep it local!
    "Preparation makes you lucky" Chuck Noll

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I refuse to buy a product just because they made it in pink. I don't trust where the money is going.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

It's great to raise awareness about it, I have lost a loved one to breast cancer and know two others who have had it.

But I would rather donate my money to the cancer ward at the local hospital than the various foundations. Or donate to a research company that is actually doing the work of finding a cure.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

Hate to break the news but the cure for cancer was found years ago (It's a secret). If the cure was given to everyone who had cancer then look at all the doctors, drug companies and hospitals that would go out of business... It's true if you really do the searching.. Sorry to sound like a freak...

Nothing better then a Black & Gold Wedding 09/24/11

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

eh i dont mind the pink.....great cause imo

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BucsPensStillerakawirels3 View Post
    Hate to break the news but the cure for cancer was found years ago (It's a secret). If the cure was given to everyone who had cancer then look at all the doctors, drug companies and hospitals that would go out of business... It's true if you really do the searching.. Sorry to sound like a freak...
    Chris Rock approves of this post.

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Chris Rock approves of this post.
    I didn't even play it... lol

The Princess' Daddy! Array title="stlrtruck will become famous soon enough"> stlrtruck's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post

Wearing pink isn't going to help in finding a cure for cancer. Giving millions of dollars every year isn't gong to find a cure for cancer.

You want to find a cure for cancer? Have people donate and create a fund. Put a billion dollar "prize" out there. Who ever finds a cure gets the money. I GUARANTEE we'll have a cure within a year.
    But if you do that, then the pharmecuticals won't get all that money for treating the symptoms.

60 MINS, 53 MEN, 1 NATION
    STEELERS NATION

Quote Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
    But if you do that, then the pharmecuticals won't get all that money for treating the symptoms.
    SMARTASS.. lol

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    It's great to raise awareness about it, I have lost a loved one to breast cancer and know two others who have had it.

But I would rather donate my money to the cancer ward at the local hospital than the various foundations. Or donate to a research company that is actually doing the work of finding a cure.
    Sorry for your loss(es) Big.

Unfortunately, we probably all know someone who has been affected by breast cancer.

It is not uncommon for large foundations to be fraught with bureaucracy and become more concerned with their entity than their cause.

...and this is a good cause.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

The Borskinator Array title="Borski is on a distinguished road"> Borski's Avatar

I dont mind some of it, but I wish it would stay off the uniforms, I dont like pink gloves, shoes and towels. If they made the field goal pink and had the pink ribbon on the field I think that would be enough. Its a great cause but it looks horrible on the uniforms.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

It really has gotten to the point where it's lost most of its significance because you're bombarded with it EVERYWHERE.

Yes, I get it. Breast cancer research. Good cause. I'm aware of it. Now let's not beat the issue to death. For the entire month of October, you get a reminder about breast cancer when you do anything from buying a bag of M&Ms to taking a shit. In a couple years, I have no doubt it will be completely possible to live your entire life in a pink breast cancer-themed world.

I think it would do a lot more good if they switched up their tactics and came up with a slogan everyone could get behind, like "SUCK IT, BREAST CANCER!!!" or "Donate now and tell breast cancer to suck a big dirty one." That way I guarantee you we'd also have a cure within a year.

The Borskinator Array title="Borski is on a distinguished road"> Borski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    It really has gotten to the point where it's lost most of its significance because you're bombarded with it EVERYWHERE.

Yes, I get it. Breast cancer research. Good cause. I'm aware of it. Now let's not beat the issue to death. For the entire month of October, you get a reminder about breast cancer when you do anything from buying a bag of M&Ms to taking a shit. In a couple years, I have no doubt it will be completely possible to live your entire life in a pink breast cancer-themed world.

I think it would do a lot more good if they switched up their tactics and came up with a slogan everyone could get behind, like "SUCK IT, BREAST CANCER!!!" or "Donate now and tell breast cancer to suck a big dirty one." That way I guarantee you we'd also have a cure within a year.
    If you are defecating pink fecal matter then you may need to see a doctor.

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

It don't matter to me either way Pink don't bother me.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

SUCK IT VTsteel!

Quote Originally Posted by VTsteel View Post
    I don't mean to be cynical - It's just that all this pink everywhere for Breast Cancer awareness has lost it's novelty and appeal and is getting old. I don't like seeing pink every sunday. I mean WTF? Breast cancer is not the only disease women (and men) get. I do believe there are alterior (read money $$$) motives at work here. I wish we could go back to the days of just being Black, Gold and White.

Here's more:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/OnCallP...ory?id=8758937

"When Janet McNeill's sister was diagnosed with breast cancer in the early 1990s, the signature pink awareness ribbons only came with a cosmetic product or two.
    Now one can buy a week's worth of groceries, feed a cat, cure a yeast infection and catch a flight all while using pink ribbon-endorsed products and transportation. For McNeill, watching images of the National Football League players with pink gloves, pink cleats and pink towels this week pushed her cynicism over the edge.
    "At first, I got excited about all the pink. It makes you really feel good, and then seeing everyone come together at the Avon walks, it was just so exciting," said McNeill, 50, whose sister died of breast cancer in 2000. McNeil was diagnosed with the disease last June.

Pink ribbon rubber ducks, Bicycle pink ribbon playing cards, Master Lock breast cancer padlocks, and...

"As the years go on … you begin to question," said McNeill. "It's sort of like pink is green for people. It means money for them, or it means attention … but where is the money going, what are they actually doing to eradicate this?"

Am I the only one who thinks all this PINK STINKS?

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

The Cure would be worth 1 millions times what the drugs and tests make for them.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Hate to sound cynical, but this pretty much sums up my view (WARNING: Explicit Language):

Senior Member Array title="Lambert_Loonie will become famous soon enough"> Lambert_Loonie's Avatar

35 minutes north of the hellhole that is Paul Brown Stadium

Hate to say it, but I think everybody who pays attention to the world around them is pretty aware about breast cancer.

More women die from Heart Disease than Breast Cancer. Why doesn't anybody raise awareness for that?

You don't have to agree with me, but I do recomend it.

You should have followed your advice, now you have shown yourself to be ill informed. The person who cures cancer will be richer than you can ever imagine, but he or she will'nt do it for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post

They give nearly 80 percent of what they take in every year to research grants. That is about normal for charities of that size.

Quote Originally Posted by beSteelmyheart View Post
    It's all such a huge shakedown for money, too. I've heard a few shady things about the Susan G Komen fund & you can view the tax return here..
    http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...5c074f1-9A.pdf
    Spend your charity money wisely....Keep it local!

Quote Originally Posted by Lambert_Loonie View Post
    Hate to say it, but I think everybody who pays attention to the world around them is pretty aware about breast cancer.

More women die from Heart Disease than Breast Cancer. Why doesn't anybody raise awareness for that?
    Heart Disease is pretty much preventable. Breast Cancer...eh not so much.

Cancer is the NUMBER ONE cause of death in women age 35-64 and it's #2 behind accidents age 25-35, heart disease is only the leading cause 65+

If you are that bothered by a little pink ribbon on the things you buy or the jerseys of the teams you watch, you bother a little too easily. The only real question I would have is how many of the items are bootlegged and never pay any fees or profit donations to the Comen foundation. SG Comen should protect the ribbon the way the NFL protects it's licenses.

For everyone who thinks it's a little too much, a little annoying, or not important, I hope you never have an important reason to feel differently.

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

No bother to me . Its for a great cause .

Senior Member Array title="Kittyfish is a glorious beacon of light"> Kittyfish's Avatar

Possibly TMI:

I found a rather large lump under my right arm at the end of last month. I went to the doctor, who thought it was probably nothing (come to think of it, it would have been farily unprofessional for him to be visibly alarmed, so I guess that shouldn't be a surprise. *g*). Anyway, he referred me to the hospital for a mammogram just to be sure - I have never had one, so I guess I was due regardless. I have no insurance, so I was sent to a clinic where they gave me a full gyno exam and a voucher for a mammogram and an ultrasound free of charge, courtesy of the Susan G. Komen foundation. They offered other exams and tests in addition to the gyno business, and I assume they would have helped some if the tests turned out positive. Fortunately everything is okay and it was only a cyst (and I would have found a way to pay for the mammo if necessary) but I for one am very grateful that foundations such as SGK's exist.