Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Steelers, Russell Wilson!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Welcome to the Steelers, Russell Wilson!

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...W/WilsRu00.htm

https://youtu.be/qOW16mWCJ-I?si=ua5n8xpKBPjiis41

There is so much to be excited and happy about with this signing. The Steelers will compete this season. The Steelers will win at least 1 playoff game with Russ as the new QB. He’s just that damn good!!

- - - Updated - - -

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/03/ru...20will%20work.

In this interview with Missi Matthews, Russ talks about why he likes Arthur Smith’s offense. He tells us why this will be a successful season.

I love being fired up for Steelers football. I cannot wait until this draft so we can start counting down to training camp.

Let’s GO!!!!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Welcome to the Steelers, Russell Wilson!

https://www.mensjournal.com/sports/2...ngth-instagram

35yrs old and still stays in top shape. I wonder if he uses any TB12 product?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    https://www.mensjournal.com/sports/2...ngth-instagram

35yrs old and still stays in top shape. I wonder if he uses any TB12 product?
    Most of those posts are 9-10 years old. The article is from 4 years ago.

We may need to calibrate expectations to a more current reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

No can do....this is a celebration of Russ becoming a Steeler thread. Any and all positive posts are welcome.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Isn't it the 9-10 years back version of Russ that we want?

Actually, none of those are 9-10 years old. The 4 year old article from mensjournal is the oldest by far.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Actually, none of those are 9-10 years old. The 4 year old article from mensjournal is the oldest by far.
    The Mens Journal article is from 4 years ago. All the article is is a series of instagram posts from Russ. I was curious because they featured Richard Sherman and Antonio Brown. When I clicked on a few of the instagram posts, they were originally posted from 2014-216.

The internet is made up of lies, half-truths, and deliberate manipulation of reality.

Is Wilson still working out hard? Most likely. Does he still look like, run, and jump like the posts from the Mens Journal "article" -- most likely not.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Isn't it the 9-10 years back version of Russ that we want?
    Absolutely.

We also wanted to original pre-draft hype version of Mitch Trubisky.

We wanted the version of KP that shined at Pitt.

We wanted the version of Mason Rudolph that was an Air Raid mad bomber.

We gotta be realistic about what we are gonna get. Time machines do not exist.

Absolutely.

If time machines do not exist, why do I feel like I've heard all this before?

If time machines do not exist, why do I feel like I've heard all this before?
    No idea.

I also have no idea why you linked to a slideshow of a player working out nine years ago and three teams ago.

I do know that I have you the smallest amount of snark about it because it is funny.

And now here we are.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

No matter how old the articles might be, and no matter how shitty his overall performance was, the highlight video from 2023 shows Wilson as a relatively injury free mobile QB with a very healthy throwing arm. The question then becomes about whether or not the Steelers coaching staff can talk him out of making stupid runs and throws.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Absolutely.

The difference is that version of Trubisky never existed. The Super Bowl winning version of Wilson did. Big difference. And 35 ain’t over the hill for a quarterback.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Every thread has to turn into some hostile argument…jeez…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Well, if it’s not, we’re just not having fun!

Love the Russ Wilson avatar btw. Quick fact about Russ as the QB. Last season he threw for 26TDs. 26 in 15 games! With only 8 Ints!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Well you're the confrontational cartoonist!!!

Sent from my SM-F731U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Well you're the confrontational cartoonist!!!

Sent from my SM-F731U using Tapatalk

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Well, if it’s not, we’re just not having fun!

Love the Russ Wilson avatar btw. Quick fact about Russ as the QB. Last season he threw for 26TDs. 26 in 15 games! With only 8 Ints!
    Yep, the prior year was only poor year statistically. Previous 3, QB rating over 100. I’m less worried about him than getting a solid WR 2, and center. Pickens should be happy, the couple times I was forced to watch Broncos Courtland Sutton had some big plays on deep balls from Wilson.

This post is kind of hostile!

The difference is that version of Trubisky never existed. The Super Bowl winning version of Wilson did. Big difference. And 35 ain’t over the hill for a quarterback.
    True statements.

I will merely point out that I think the estimations of Wilson's 2024 ceiling that I see here and other Steelers corners of the internet are far too optimistic.

It reminds me of how when Trubisky signed, the Steelers internet wanted an optimistic outcome that would have been a totally unique scenario to come to be. Not surprisingly, Trubisky flamed out like so many other "bridge" QBs.

Wilson is far far (far) better than Trubisky. But his game is built on young man skills (throwing bombs, running around to create outside of structure) and he is now an old man with little evidence of changing his game (short time to throw, working precision routes over the middle) in a manner that almost all other old man QBs have done in order to extend their careers.

Again....we are left with Steelers centered hope on Wilson being a 1 of 1 QB. An old man QB that can still light up the NFL with a young man QB's game. I am not saying it can't happen. I am saying that it would be an almost totally unprecedented situation....fairly late career Favre stuff.

True statements.

I will merely point out that I think the estimations of Wilson's 2024 ceiling that I see here and other Steelers corners of the internet are far too optimistic.

It reminds me of how when Trubisky signed, the Steelers internet wanted an optimistic outcome that would have been a totally unique scenario to come to be. Not surprisingly, Trubisky flamed out like so many other "bridge" QBs.

Wilson is far far (far) better than Trubisky. But his game is built on young man skills (throwing bombs, running around to create outside of structure) and he is now an old man with little evidence of changing his game (short time to throw, working precision routes over the middle) in a manner that almost all other old man QBs have done in order to extend their careers.

Again....we are left with Steelers centered hope on Wilson being a 1 of 1 QB. An old man QB that can still light up the NFL with a young man QB's game. I am not saying it can't happen. I am saying that it would be an almost totally unprecedented situation....fairly late career Favre stuff.
    Signs of the old (young) Wilson were still there last year. Either way, I'd take last years version of Wilson over all three of the Steelers QBs combined.

Signs of the old (young) Wilson were still there last year. Either way, I'd take last years version of Wilson over all three of the Steelers QBs combined.
    Absolutely! 100%

I have little doubt that Wilson on one leg and blind in one eye suffering a heart attack is likely to be noticeably better than KP, Trubisky, or Rudolph in 2024.

My pessimism is where that falls compared to the rest of the AFC.

This post is kind of hostile!
    It is accusatory depending on sensitivity…

I have little doubt that Wilson on one leg and blind in one eye suffering a heart attack is likely to be noticeably better than KP, Trubisky, or Rudolph in 2024.

Baldinger in his rankings yesterday out the Steelers at #5 in the AFC, ahead of the Bengals and Bills.

Pat Freiermuth opened up about offseason workouts with Russell Wilson: “I was just down there in San Diego with him working out and throwing routes… He’s been great at talking to guys and starting to build that connection. He’s a great guy. You can tell the drive and determination that he has to win and come to Pittsburgh and win some playoff games for us.”

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

all one can ever really hope for is that their team recognized deficiencies and makes efforts to get better in all those areas , if they do that then one never knows if it is enough or not until they play the games as there is no true paper champions ...

I think the biggest two deficiencies where QB and OC and they addressed both of those substantially... taking a (lucky) 10 win , playoff team to potential new heights ... Health will and always is a determining factor to how much those moves help but if history is any indicator of future results they should be vastly improved ...

what exactly is vastly , I would say 2-3 more wins and a potential home playoff game .... if they can win that game then anything is possible because we do not know what other matchups take place and who wins those games but its not to difficult to imagine a scenario that puts them in the AFC championship game at at that point you just gotta win 1 time to get to the big dance ....

I am excited for the season and the draft isnt even here yet
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

all one can ever really hope for is that their team recognized deficiencies and makes efforts to get better in all those areas , if they do that then one never knows if it is enough or not until they play the games as there is no true paper champions ...

I think the biggest two deficiencies where QB and OC and they addressed both of those substantially... taking a (lucky) 10 win , playoff team to potential new heights ... Health will and always is a determining factor to how much those moves help but if history is any indicator of future results they should be vastly improved ...

what exactly is vastly , I would say 2-3 more wins and a potential home playoff game .... if they can win that game then anything is possible because we do not know what other matchups take place and who wins those games but its not to difficult to imagine a scenario that puts them in the AFC championship game at at that point you just gotta win 1 time to get to the big dance ....

I am excited for the season and the draft isnt even here yet
    The steelers have a hard schedule in 2024....It could be a big challenge too