Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip Drop Tackle Banned

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Hip Drop Tackle Banned

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-...league-meeting

Sent from my SM-F731U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Hip Drop Tackle Banned

I saw this article earlier. This is no surprise to me. This way of tackling results in the same type of injuries as the horse collar tackle. I saw this one coming a mile off.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Just issue belts and flags.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Just issue belts and flags.
    Here we go...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Here we go...
    I mean any tackle can result in the same situation. A standard tackle that is thought at the lowest of levels can result is a torn ACL, Achilles, broken ankle, etc.

They want to ban that but they won’t ban something like the rush push which, in essence, has already been banned in one phase of the game…that’s player safety for you.

Football is a violent sport. Players are ALWAYS going to get injured.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I mean any tackle can result in the same situation. A standard tackle that is thought at the lowest of levels can result is a torn ACL, Achilles, broken ankle, etc.

They want to ban that but they won’t ban something like the rush push which, in essence, has already been banned in one phase of the game…that’s player safety for you.

Football is a violent sport. Players are ALWAYS going to get injured.
    People watch star players on TV and gamble on big name performers.

Most want to see Nick Chubb not Jerome Ford play.

Player safety is an excuse to try and maximize eyeballs and $$$ through star centered branding.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Not black and white, a lot of tackles that are marginal are going to be called. More offense and less defense coming soon. It’s not really football anymore. If they emphasized teaching proper tackling techniques, better conditioning, eliminated Thursday night games and kept the season to 14 games we’d be better off. Let the defenses play defense.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Didn't Burfict hip drop tackle Bell when sustained a knee injury some years ago?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Yes let's make the game safer but add more games to the regular season and make Thursday Night games just one per team oh wait....didn't the Steelers play 2 Thursdays last year?

Sent from my SM-F731U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    People watch star players on TV and gamble on big name performers.

Most want to see Nick Chubb not Jerome Ford play.

Player safety is an excuse to try and maximize eyeballs and $$$ through star centered branding.
    Yet there have been no attempts to improve the turf…because that costs money…

Hip Drop Tackle Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Not black and white, a lot of tackles that are marginal are going to be called. More offense and less defense coming soon. It’s not really football anymore. If they emphasized teaching proper tackling techniques, better conditioning, eliminated Thursday night games and kept the season to 14 games we’d be better off. Let the defenses play defense.
    This type of tackle can totally start off as proper technique…but when you are tackling Derrick Henry, it could morph into a “hip drop” tackle…

Not to mention if a player is grabbed around the hips, what’s the likelihood that the player just drops straight down to make it look like it was a “hip drop” tackle?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yup. It’s what you get when rich egomaniacs pay lawyers to design things In committees.

Not a lot of reason and sense.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I saw this article earlier. This is no surprise to me. This way of tackling results in the same type of injuries as the horse collar tackle. I saw this one coming a mile off.
    Agreed. Not shocking at all and something expected. Players will adapt just like they did with Horse Collar tackling.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Sure, but lots of other factors like : grass doesnt grow well inside closed stadiums. Grass doesnt stand up well in northern climates in November-Janaury when the temperature drops.

The reality too is that the modern field turf with rubber pellets layered below the artificial grass is really a good surface and much better than what early artificial turf was like. I think Grass is always the best to play on, but the surface really sucks when the weather is cold and its more like brown grass with dirt underneath it and has been beat up.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Sure, but lots of other factors like : grass doesnt grow well inside closed stadiums. Grass doesnt stand up well in northern climates in November-Janaury when the temperature drops.

Allegiant Stadium has a grass hybrid and that is indoors.

There are also grow lights. It can be done and done well...it would just cost a lot of money to do it and have it done right. (Lots of do's and done's...lol)

Allegiant Stadium has a grass hybrid and that is indoors.

There are also grow lights. It can be done and done well...it would just cost a lot of money to do it and have it done right. (Lots of do's and done's...lol)
    Great idea. Just make it consistent so they retrofit all the open air fields to covered fields in cities like Seattle, Green Bay, Chicago, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Baltimore, etc. Then have that grass hybrid turf with grow lights.

That way, all the whiners that think players need grass to play on can feel better and it will only cost the NFL Billions, which they will try and recover in the price of tickets, merchandise sales, stadium concessions, etc.

Then they can feel better about player safety and any rule changes that might be done for the same rationale.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

This type of tackle can totally start off as proper technique…but when you are tackling Derrick Henry, it could morph into a “hip drop” tackle…

Not to mention if a player is grabbed around the hips, what’s the likelihood that the player just drops straight down to make it look like it was a “hip drop” tackle?
    there are going to be a lot of controversial calls. Imagine a crucial third down play in crunch time and the defender makes a seemingly great saving tackle near the sideline to force 4th down. Only to have a penalty flag thrown because of a hip drop call. Judgement on a seemingly good tackle could change outcomes of games. I just see a lot of controversy coming up

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Just think in the NFL in 10 years we'll be arguing if he got him with both hands when he touched him. Just like we did as kids at the playground.

Senior Member Array title="feltdizz has much to be proud of">

Good.. a lot of players are injured that way.

I won’t be happy when its called against us on 3rd down but its a tackle that has taken out a lot of players.

I get its a violent sport and the D is at a disadvantage but dropping all your weight and falling on someones legs aint how I grew up tackling.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Good.. a lot of players are injured that way.

I won’t be happy when its called against us on 3rd down but its a tackle that has taken out a lot of players.

I get its a violent sport and the D is at a disadvantage but dropping all your weight and falling on someones legs aint how I grew up tackling.
    It is when you find out that your form tackling isn’t bringing down a 225lb running back. Lol.

It is when you find out that your form tackling isn’t bringing down a 225lb running back. Lol.
    Maybe bigger linebackers have a resurgence?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Just think in the NFL in 10 years we'll be arguing if he got him with both hands when he touched him. Just like we did as kids at the playground.
    And Gen Z will be telling us that QB's in 2030 are so much better than the other all time greats of the past because they throw 6000 yards and 50 TD's a season in a flag football caliber league
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    And Gen Z will be telling us that QB's in 2030 are so much better than the other all time greats of the past because they throw 6000 yards and 50 TD's a season in a flag football caliber league
    Exactly. That's why I cringe every time someone young says, Bradshaw was the luckiest guy to win 4 Superbowls and his defense did it all. Bradshaw played in an era where the defense could basically maul receivers and offensive linemen and then murder the QB.

I also point out that once the rules changed after Terry's first two SB's that he then lead the team to two more SB's scoring 35 and 38 points respectively.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

So basically you can't tackle anyone from behind or side. They will soon ban tackling in front also. The NFL keeps finding ways to be worse than before

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...85073120711025

In my opinion, this is to weaken defenses because most young quarterbacks are so bad nowadays they can't score.
    Hater = Realist

What?!

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    and then murder the QB.
    Turkey Jones says hi.

In my opinion, this is just more ripple effects from decisions made twenty, thirty, forty years ago or more. "Let's make the game faster!" they said. "More exciting!" Well, that's what they got, and they got bigger collisions, tackling at odd angles, so on and so forth as a result. To this day, I believe if we went back to disallowing the O-line to hold on every play and give DBs the ability to play like they did in the sixties and seventies, you'd see about a 30-50 percent reduction in injuries, and that includes noncontact injuries.

Of course, the NFL won't do that because they think it'd cost them money.

Senior Member Array title="Voice of Reason has much to be proud of">

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Turkey Jones says hi.
    I saw that tackle live on TV. I thought that at best Terry Bradshaw was going to be paralyzed for life from the neck down, or possibly even killed right there on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    In my opinion, this is just more ripple effects from decisions made twenty, thirty, forty years ago or more. "Let's make the game faster!" they said. "More exciting!" Well, that's what they got, and they got bigger collisions, tackling at odd angles, so on and so forth as a result. To this day, I believe if we went back to disallowing the O-line to hold on every play and give DBs the ability to play like they did in the sixties and seventies, you'd see about a 30-50 percent reduction in injuries, and that includes noncontact injuries.

Of course, the NFL won't do that because they think it'd cost them money.
    "the O line holds on every play."

That is such a false exaggeration.

And none of those guys on the O or D lines give a crap about an opposing player laying hands on them and getting inured. They care about being blocked below the waist, getting high-low blocked or the D line diving at their legs on a zone pull.

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

Exactly! Its an automatic 15 yard gain if you are good actor.