Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quarterback Comparisons past 20 games

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Quarterback Comparisons past 20 games

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    because we all know KP8 was going to take us to the promised land (rolls eyes)
    No one here said he was, but the narrative going out was that he was the single reason holding the team back. Well, we'll see if this is true.

They got an "upgrade" at QB, so by all means the needle should move and the Steelers should be better. But what if they don't?

I don’t think the plan was to move on from KP until KP said he wanted out.
    The plan was to move on from KP. The Defensive players already went out to recruit Wilson behind KP's back. There was no reason for KP to go back to the locker room. He was out. Then Tomlin lies to him about a "competition" with Russ when the truth is Wilson was already handed the starting job (he wouldn't come here otherwise) and he's been demoted/jammed to the bench.

Kordell Stewart sucked but not even he was treated like this. Just an ugly way to send a player out, but nobody will care if the team wins and gets results. If they don't, well, its a scathing indictment on the team and organization as a whole.
    No Canada. No Pickett. No Excuses. Steelers get #7 in 2024. In Khan we Trust.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    No one here said he was, but the narrative going out was that he was the single reason holding the team back. Well, we'll see if this is true.

They got an "upgrade" at QB, so by all means the needle should move and the Steelers should be better. But what if they don't?

The plan was to move on from KP. The Defensive players already went out to recruit Wilson behind KP's back. There was no reason for KP to go back to the locker room. He was out. Then Tomlin lies to him about a "competition" with Russ when the truth is Wilson was already handed the starting job (he wouldn't come here otherwise) and he's been demoted/jammed to the bench.
    Not hard to be better that a bottom 5 offense and the worst offense in the first 14 games since 1970.....When the steelers were like 5-3 last year,they were one of the worst 5-3 team of all-time....They had so many lucky break

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kordell Stewart sucked but not even he was treated like this. Just an ugly way to send a player out, but nobody will care if the team wins and gets results. If they don't, well, its a scathing indictment on the team and organization as a whole.
    Kordell was benched for Kent Freaking Graham ....it didnt last long nor did it age well

here are some other all world QBs that they benched Kordell for .....

as a side note Kordell in todays game might be league MVP is allowed to play his style of football I mean IMO he was a better athlete than the reining MVP
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Kordell Stewart sucked but not even he was treated like this. Just an ugly way to send a player out, but nobody will care if the team wins and gets results. If they don't, well, it’s a scathing indictment on the team and organization as a whole.
    Treated Like what? If truth to his behavior on refusing to dress as backup and behavior when Wilson signed is accurate , he made his bed. Tomlin had enough, just like DJ. Steelers don’t owe KP or MR jack shit. You don’t inherit a starting role unless it’s earned. Not many Steelers players earned that privilege last year let alone KP. I liked KP but I’m a Steelers fan first. They cut their losses (one year earlier than I thought) but the timing worked out. D’s are going to have much more difficult time scheming Wilson and Fields than KP and MR. Happiest I’ve been since Ben retired.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Kenny was not told there would be competition with Russ. Kenny was the ONLY QB on the roster and WE were told via press conference Kenny was QB1. Well duh.

Tomlin also said there would be competition at the QB position. This was before Russ was part of the QB room. Once Russ was signed, Kenny was told he was not going to be QB1, Russ was QB1.

Kenny then cancelled his scheduled workout with the WR room, and asked to be traded. Omar traded Kenny to the Eagles. Not Tomlin, Omar. Now Kenny is QB2 behind Hurts.

Kenny was not lied to. The situation changed, changed again, and yet again.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

That may be true, but whatever the case may be, this will hang over the organization all offseason and all through the season. The Steelers effectively finished Browning a quarterback. The same thing we used to make fun of the Browns for. Drafting QB's and destroying them. You remember that viral image of the Tim Couch Jersey with all the different names on the back? IS this what the Steelers have become? Chasing the next hot thing looking for the next hit?

If Russ gets benched and Fields comes in, Fields will be the FIFTH starting QB for the Steelers since the start of 2022. That screams an organizational problem. I get it. Franchise QB's like Ben don't grow on trees, but sooner or later the organization has to make a real commitment to a guy. Like I've been telling people shitting on Mason And Kenny, be careful what you wish for. That "upgrade" you're going for may not be an upgrade. We dropped Pickett for a upgrade to "win now". Well, we better start winning now.
    No Canada. No Pickett. No Excuses. Steelers get #7 in 2024. In Khan we Trust.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Try not to interfere with the anti-Tomlin narrative. Leave the facts out of it!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Oh for crying out loud. This is getting ridiculous.

The issue with going the "Browns" route with QBs is burning through draft picks and cap $$$ to get a parade of bad QBs AND having nothing left to build a roster/team around any given QB.

The Steelers are only devoting $1.5 million dollars more to their top 2QBs than they are their shiny new punter. In fact the punter is getting more cash than either individual QB.

And they've got a future 4 wrapped up in it. That's nothing.

Vikings gave Sam Darnold $10 million dollars. And are in the process of trading around picks to likely buy the right to draft the FOURTH QB of the board.

Brissett got $8 million to likely give way to a draft pick.

That's what rough QB decisions look like.

Heck, I don't think either Wilson or Fields will be good in 2024 and I have my doubts that either will be on the roster in 2025.

I also would ALWAYS prefer to get a QB through the draft. But all reports are that the first 3 are locked in and 4 and 5 are now being bid on. Not sure I'd want to build my franchise on the 4th or 5th QB from this class after I emptied the draft coffers of future picks to do it.

Long story short:
    Not a fan of either move.
    Can't complain of the cost.
    No future "opportunity" cost.
    Zero risk dice roll.

Summation;
    Love it or hate it; hard to fault the value.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

That may be true, but whatever the case may be, this will hang over the organization all offseason and all through the season. The Steelers effectively finished Browning a quarterback. The same thing we used to make fun of the Browns for. Drafting QB's and destroying them. You remember that viral image of the Tim Couch Jersey with all the different names on the back? IS this what the Steelers have become? Chasing the next hot thing looking for the next hit?

If Russ gets benched and Fields comes in, Fields will be the FIFTH starting QB for the Steelers since the start of 2022. That screams an organizational problem. I get it. Franchise QB's like Ben don't grow on trees, but sooner or later the organization has to make a real commitment to a guy. Like I've been telling people shitting on Mason And Kenny, be careful what you wish for. That "upgrade" you're going for may not be an upgrade. We dropped Pickett for a upgrade to "win now". Well, we better start winning now.
    Again, Kenny did not get dropped. HE asked to be traded. If anything, Kenny quit on us. Kenny was QB2 behind Russ. If Russ gets hurt, fails, whatever, Kenny is his backup. HE didn't want that. HE asked to be traded. Now HE has that same deal with the Eagles.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Again, Kenny did not get dropped. HE asked to be traded. If anything, Kenny quit on us. Kenny was QB2 behind Russ. If Russ gets hurt, fails, whatever, Kenny is his backup. HE didn't want that. HE asked to be traded. Now HE has that same deal with the Eagles.

with zero chance the Eagles move on his 5th year option meaning in 2 years he is on the move again if anyone will have him
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

as a side note Kordell in todays game might be league MVP is allowed to play his style of football I mean IMO he was a better athlete than the reining MVP
    Kordell Stewart taught me that it is not enough to have a great ATHLETE at the QB position, you have to have a great PASSER if you want to win the Super Bowl. In today's NFL, Kordell could run up and down the field like the wind, but we would still never win anything with him because he would never be a good enough PASSER. I believe that just like I believe that the Ravens will never win anything with Lamar, because as great an ATHLETE as he is, he will never be a good enough PASSER.

And if Wilson and Fields turn out to be ATHLETES who can't PASS, we won't win anything with them either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Not hard to be better that a bottom 5 offense and the worst offense in the first 14 games since 1970.....When the steelers were like 5-3 last year,they were one of the worst 5-3 team of all-time....They had so many lucky break
    They did have some pretty great defensive and special teams plays.

Senior Member Array title="feltdizz has much to be proud of">

Kenny was not told there would be competition with Russ. Kenny was the ONLY QB on the roster and WE were told via press conference Kenny was QB1. Well duh.

Tomlin also said there would be competition at the QB position. This was before Russ was part of the QB room. Once Russ was signed, Kenny was told he was not going to be QB1, Russ was QB1.

Kenny then cancelled his scheduled workout with the WR room, and asked to be traded. Omar traded Kenny to the Eagles. Not Tomlin, Omar. Now Kenny is QB2 behind Hurts.

If you say there will be competition and then a few weeks later I’m behind another vet who has never played for this team I’m feeling lied to and I would want out.

How many young QB’s get replaced by SB winning vets and win the job?

Kenny did what any QB in his position would do, asked to be traded. I don’t blame him.

I hope it works out for us but if we are on the block next year looking for new QB’s it will be a huge fail on our part. Especially if Kenny looks better in a legit offense.

Sure, if Russ gets hurt he gets in, is that really any different from being somewhere else where you feel like you have a clean slate and know the team has a more pass friendly OC?

If you are a QB and just dealt with Canada and now you have run heavy Arthur Smith..

and Philly has Kellen Moore at OC?

lmao.. man.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    If you say there will be competition and then a few weeks later I’m behind another vet who has never played for this team I’m feeling lied to and I would want out.

How many young QB’s get replaced by SB winning vets and win the job?

Kenny did what any QB in his position would do, asked to be traded. I don’t blame him.

I hope it works out for us but if we are on the block next year looking for new QB’s it will be a huge fail on our part. Especially if Kenny looks better in a legit offense.
    Kenny was a huge fail. When is Kenny gonna look better, in preseason? That’s the only time he’ll see the field. And we already saw the preseason version of Kenny.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Kenny was a huge fail. When is Kenny gonna look better, in preseason? That’s the only time he’ll see the field. And we already saw the preseason version of Kenny.
    yep, preseason and if Hurts gets "hurt"

same thing if he stayed in Pittsburgh but at least he is on a team with a passing OC and former QB instead of handing off the ball all game.

Senior Member Array title="Voice of Reason has much to be proud of">

No way you can maintain this record in the long run when you only score 16-17 PPG...It's not sustainable, unless you think the way Tim Tebow won in 2011 was sustainable...
    That wasn't the point. DesertSteel started this thread by posting some statistics comparing Picket to Fields and Wilson over their last 20 games that weren't in Kenny's favor. But feltdizz posted a pretty important statistic favoring Kenny that DesertSteel conveniently ignored because it didn't fit his agenda. That is what I was commenting on.

Regarding your point, of course you can't maintain success in the NFL scoring only 16-17 PPG. But who's to say that that would have continued? In 2024 Kenny would have had another year of experience under his belt and would have been working with an OC that was not Canada. I think the chances were much better that the PPG would have gone up significantly rather than not. Unfortunately, because Tomlin didn't have the patience to let this happen, we'll never find out.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Since when do QBs win and lose games by themselves? It’s such a garbage stat to apply to any single player.
    Since when does a QB complete a pass by himself? Since when does a QB gain rushing yards by himself? Football is a team game where nobody does anything by themselves. Using your logic, any statistic that you apply to any football player is a "garbage stat".

THIS !!!

Senior Member Array title="FordFairLane is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Here are the numbers. Twist them however you want.

Pretty much sums it up on Pickett. Did not like the draft pick. I would have taken the trade with New England and got #29, #94, & #121. Getting those two extra picks would have mitigated the pick of Pickett. Or like I would have done is not drafted him at all. Below is my mock along mock which I do during the draft and have since 2008. Dax Hill had a good sophomore season starting all 17 games, having 110 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 picks, 11 pass deflections, and 6 tfl. Would be a great safety to play opposite of Fitz. Travis Jones plays about 1/3 the defensive snaps and is mostly a run stuff specialist. Had a sack and a half last year and a great run defense ranking. Leo Chenal is brought in to rush the QB and play the run. He started 10 games last year and that will increase with the departure of some ILBs in KC. Faalele is the backup RT and will be the starter this year. Doubs was second on the team in receptions and yards. Howell is twice the QB prospect Pickett is. Had nearly 4k with 21 tds and 5 rushing tds. Had 21 picks which needs to come down but he had some really outstanding games. Thomas is out of the league so bad pick there. Walker started and had 864 snaps last year and a pff rank of 66.4. Goodrich played in 4 and started 1.
    RD1(29)- Daxton Hill
    RD2(52)- Travis Jones
    RD3(84)- Leo Chenal
    RD3(94)- Daniel Faalele
    RD4(121)- Romeo Doubs
    RD4(138)- Sam Howell
    RD6(208)- Isaiah Thomas
    RD7(225)- Rasheed Walker
    RD7(241)- Mario Goodrich

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    That wasn't the point. DesertSteel started this thread by posting some statistics comparing Picket to Fields and Wilson over their last 20 games that weren't in Kenny's favor. But feltdizz posted a pretty important statistic favoring Kenny that DesertSteel conveniently ignored because it didn't fit his agenda. That is what I was commenting on.

Regarding your point, of course you can't maintain success in the NFL scoring only 16-17 PPG. But who's to say that that would have continued? In 2024 Kenny would have had another year of experience under his belt and would have been working with an OC that was not Canada. I think the chances were much better that the PPG would have gone up significantly rather than not. Unfortunately, because Tomlin didn't have the patience to let this happen, we'll never find out.
    Can't blame Tomlin and the steelers to not be patient with a QB with only 13 TD pass in 24 starts.....Some teams have less patience than that on mediocre and low ceilling QB.....

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Still debating Kenny Pickett and the past?

Probably time some people just move along and get over it already…lol

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Yep! He’s gone, never to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    THIS !!!

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

100% DUDE'S NOT HERE ANYMORE.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Should I start a thread on Mark Malone since he was a first round Magnum PI?

Sent from my SM-F731U using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Hell of a receiver!!! 90-Yard TD reception!

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Hell of a receiver!!! 90-Yard TD reception!
    OG Slash lol

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Mark Malone never got a fair shot. They kept sticking David Woodley and Scott Campbell in there.

I sure hope all the experts on here who say Kenny is good and Wilson is washed and Fields has no potential are all wrong. It will make for a nice season if they’re wrong.

Can't blame Tomlin and the steelers to not be patient with a QB with only 13 TD pass in 24 starts.....Some teams have less patience than that on mediocre and low ceilling QB.....
    Why can't I blame them? Having patience is exactly what they should have done. It's what all teams in all sports should do with promising young players.

And it appears we have another board member who's part of the "I watched Kenny for less than 1 1/2 seasons under Matt Canada, so I know absolutely what his abilities and ceiling are" crowd. No, you don't. Whether you realize it or not.