Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Trade WR Diontae Johnson to Carolina Panthers

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Trade WR Diontae Johnson to Carolina Panthers

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Steelers Trade WR Diontae Johnson to Carolina Panthers

Reportedly Donte Jackson (CB) and a pick coming back to Pittsburgh…

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Well, I guess the team decided that Johnson wasn't going to help the team with his attitude.

I agree.

Getting a potential starting CB and a higher draft pick is a pretty good deal. He's not a great player, but they must see something. Of course, it will ultimately be decided by how the Jackson plays and what they do with that draft pick.

I'll take it. Addition by subtraction IMO. Wish Jackson had a lower cap hit.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Well, I guess the team decided that Johnson wasn't going to help the team with his attitude.

I agree.

Getting a potential starting CB and a higher draft pick is a pretty good deal. Of course, it will ultimately be decided by how the Jackson plays and what they do with that draft pick.

I'll take it. Addition by subtraction IMO.

and saved 5 million in cap space ... the corner is 5 mill cheaper than DJ
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Steelers Trade WR Diontae Johnson to Carolina Panthers

I agree.

Getting a potential starting CB and a higher draft pick is a pretty good deal. He's not a great player, but they must see something. Of course, it will ultimately be decided by how the Jackson plays and what they do with that draft pick.

I'll take it. Addition by subtraction IMO. Wish Jackson had a lower cap hit.
    They added roughly $500,000 to the cap hit by getting rid of Johnson and bringing in Jackson.

I still think they need a CB and hopefully Jackson can continue mentoring JPJ.

Khan must have plans for WR with only Pickens as a legitimate WR. Maybe Calvin Ridley??

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

and saved 5 million in cap space ... the corner is 5 mill cheaper than DJ

They call him Action Jackson at some of the Carolina websites I looked at. We can only hope.

Now go out and get Arik Armstead!

- - - Updated - - -

They added roughly $500,000 to the cap hit by getting rid of Johnson and bringing in Jackson.

I still think they need a CB and hopefully Jackson can continue mentoring JPJ.

Khan must have plans for WR with only Pickens as a legitimate WR. Maybe Calvin Ridley??

They certainly need more at CB. I hope Jackson can help there, but I think they are counting on the development of a couple young CB's currently on the roster to take a big step forward in Trice and Rush.

Who knows, they may address it high in the draft as well. They are very active so far this season. It is fun to watch them take advantage of the money they are saving at the QB position.

They call him Action Jackson at some of the Carolina websites I looked at. We can only hope.

- - - Updated - - -

They certainly need more at CB. I hope Jackson can help there, but I think they are counting on the development of a couple young CB's currently on the roster to take a big step forward in Trice and Rush.

Who knows, they may address it high in the draft as well. They are very active so far this season. It is fun to watch them take advantage of the money they are saving at the QB position.
    Next season, they supposedly will have ridiculous cap space.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

the biggest knock I have seen on Jackson is he and the injury bug have been known to pal around with one another from time to time but you just can not ignore his ability to find the football 14 picks in 5 years

the biggest knock I have seen on Jackson is he and the injury bug have been known to pal around with one another from time to time but you just can not ignore his ability to find the football 14 picks in 5 years

I understand he has had some injuries, but this is a guy that gets his hands on balls and catches them. If they can get Minkah back to his single high, ball hawk position and add other players that take the ball away, it is a game-changer for this secondary. Porter is looking like he has a chance to be a shut down corner. Getting others to take advantage of having a player that creates chances for others makes a ton of sense. That's why getting a guy like Simmons at S would be a huge move for me. I also think that they will be able to do more with the defense and get much more exotic with the looks while also getting more versatile.

The injuries to the safeties and the ILB's certainly hurt them with their ability to do that as there was a revolving door of players that wouldn't normally be good enough to get on the field. I think they were forced to go more vanilla to simplify things, and Minkah was forced to play away from his strengths.

I can see a secondary of JPJ, Action Jackson, Minkah, and Simmons, with Trice/Rush/draft pick as the next man on the field. That has a chance to be a very good group, and there are some guys that can make plays on the ball now.

I can see a secondary of JPJ, Action Jackson, Minkah, and Simmons, with Trice/Rush/draft pick as the next man on the field. That has a chance to be a very good group, and there are some guys that can make plays on the ball now.
    After they sign Ridley and Simmons, theyll sign Kendall Fuller to round out the secondary. JPJ and a WR in rounds 1-2…done deal!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Not a sexy trade but they need the CB depth. The young trio JPJ, Trice, and Rush are basically all that is left. There is nobody else really. Sullivan and Pierre are free agents. Pat Pete is gone. Levi Wallace is talking like he doesn't expect to be back.

Wonder if Jackson can play slot

Sent from my SM-F731U using Tapatalk

I understand he has had some injuries, but this is a guy that gets his hands on balls and catches them. If they can get Minkah back to his single high, ball hawk position and add other players that take the ball away, it is a game-changer for this secondary. Porter is looking like he has a chance to be a shut down corner. Getting others to take advantage of having a player that creates chances for others makes a ton of sense. That's why getting a guy like Simmons at S would be a huge move for me. I also think that they will be able to do more with the defense and get much more exotic with the looks while also getting more versatile.

The injuries to the safeties and the ILB's certainly hurt them with their ability to do that as there was a revolving door of players that wouldn't normally be good enough to get on the field. I think they were forced to go more vanilla to simplify things, and Minkah was forced to play away from his strengths.

it could be the making of the best def we have had in a very very long time

After they sign Ridley and Simmons, theyll sign Kendall Fuller to round out the secondary. JPJ and a WR in rounds 1-2…done deal!

Sign everyone!!!!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Things I liked about DJ:
    He could always get open.

Things I didn’t like about DJ:
    Running backwards after the catch.
    Drops
    Not going full out every play
    Locker room issues with other players

Sounds like the Steelers just didn’t want to deal with Johnson‘s crap anymore or have him taint Pickens so they just dumped him.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Tyler Boyd incoming? 1,000 yard receiver not bad

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Sounds like the Steelers just didn’t want to deal with Johnson‘s crap anymore or have him taint Pickens so they just dumped him.
    Honestly that was my gut reaction when I read the deal.

Especially since they sent him to football Siberia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Honestly that was my gut reaction when I read the deal.

Especially since they sent him to football Siberia.
    You know, for how good the Steelers are at getting WRs, they’re pretty much that bad at keeping them “disciplined” and/or retaining them.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You know, for how good the Steelers are at getting WRs, they’re pretty much that bad at keeping them “disciplined” and/or retaining them.
    Yeah. Or spin it around. They're good at getting WRs because they can extract value from guys other teams can't/won't due to being wackos.

Yeah. Or spin it around. They're good at getting WRs because they can extract value from guys other teams can't/won't due to being wackos.
    Tomlin/AB is the most famous example of that!! It’s amazing he was “under control” for as long as he was!

AB , Bryant and I am sure there are others

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Tomlin/AB is the most famous example of that!! It’s amazing he was “under control” for as long as he was!

That is because Tomlin treated him as a spoiled child and just prolonged AB's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    That is because Tomlin treated him as a spoiled child and just prolonged AB's problems.
    I wish Tomlin could do that with every player to get All-Pro production.

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    We don't know that a tougher approach would have been better. Maybe that accelerates AB's issues.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think the Steelers will go WR in R1 now.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish Tomlin could do that with every player to get All-Pro production.
    Right. Lol

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

AB , Bryant and I am sure there are others
    Sure, but Bryant had a weed problem in college and that is why he slid in the draft. He wasnt exactly a real wacko, but just a guy that could not put down the joint.

The reality of todays college game is that there is so much passing and the offseason 7 vs 7 programs that they run are just putting tons of guys with good WR skills on the field. I think the ability to find good WR's on day 2 and early day 3 of the draft isnt as hard as it was 10-15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Sure, but Bryant had a weed problem in college and that is why he slid in the draft. He wasnt exactly a real wacko, but just a guy that could not put down the joint.

The reality of todays college game is that there is so much passing and the offseason 7 vs 7 programs that they run are just putting tons of guys with good WR skills on the field. I think the ability to find good WR's on day 2 and early day 3 of the draft isnt as hard as it was 10-15 years ago.
    Look no further than Xavier Legette to prove your point he is a top 20 pick 5 years ago likely will be there when we select in round 2

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

There’s also no learning curve like there was. It used to be 2.5-3 years before you saw a WR produce. No it’s right out of the gate.

Also, do you want to sign mostWRs to a second contract?

These guys are getting goofy money to be secondary options.

Just draft and draft again. Why pay a guy $13 million per?