Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Russell Wilson is now a Steeler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Russell Wilson is now a Steeler

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Here are his QB/Passer ratings the last few seasons:

2019 106.3
    2020 105.1
    2021 103.1
    2022 84.4
    2023 98.0

What I see is one bad year under Hackett. Even that season was better than Pickett's (84 to 81).
    That pretty much shows a steady decline and you can have those type of ratings throwing behind the LOS, five yards past the LOS and not throwing in the middle of the field.

I get that Wilson is better by numbers. Not sure why people keep making that statement…I haven’t seen anyone argue otherwise. He’s critiques last season and 2022 have been the exact same as what the Steelers fan base here was saying about Ben, Rudolph and Pickett at times.

The question remains does he “fix” the .500 Standard for this year and help the team past 2024. He’s basically going to bridge the QB position into a situation that the Steelers were already in with a crappy QB class.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Penglose is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    That's a problem I wouldn't mind the Steelers having to deal with. And if KP actually does beat him out and play well so much the better.

Yeah suddenly Pickett is better than a 9 time Pro Bowler. Fat chance. If they sign Mason still, K.P. will be 3rd in the pecking order if it's a fair competition.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

For me it's the delaying of the inevitable.

2024: Something with Wilson
    2025: Draft Pick excitement
    2026: Draft Pick seasoning and confirmation he's the "guy"
    2027: contention with new "franchise" QB

Watt is 33.
    Minkah is 31.
    Cam is retired.

Any sewsons I can shave off that clock would be my only goal as the dude in charge.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Watt is 33.
    Minkah is 31.
    Cam is retired.

Any sewsons I can shave off that clock would be my only goal as the dude in charge.

maybe this year is draft pick at QB to sit a year behind Russ.... maybe the here and now is here and now but with enough pieces in place that we can still contend ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Watt is 33.
    Minkah is 31.
    Cam is retired.

should be able to fit into that list "3 years of Matt Canada to the glory of Mike Tomlin"

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

What could happen is we go with Wilson, get to the playoffs, maybe win one playoff game but fall short. Wilson signs for two more years, KP leaves after 2024, maybe we trade up to get a Qb? Cam is done, TJ and Minkah’s best years are behind them, and we’re rebuilding with a new Qb and HC in 2026 after a couple playoff runs with Russ.

i like the other plan better but oh well, Steelers fan for life.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

honestly think we draft a QB to sit a year under Russ ....

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

honestly think we draft a QB to sit a year under Russ ....
    think they will too, but not in R1 unless someone hits the slide.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Russell Wilson is now a Steeler

Watt is 33.
    Minkah is 31.
    Cam is retired.

Clearly with DangerRuss they are trying to shave everything off that…because they are behind the eight ball with Trubisky, Pickett, Rudolph and Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Clearly with DangerRuss they are trying to shave everything off that…because they are behind the eight ball with Trubisky, Pickett, Rudolph and Canada.
    add those to Tomlins glory also. Hopefully he is gone after this season.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    What about Minkah and TJ.

George P should be his best friend
    Don't piss off the "diva WR" Mr
    Ciara.

Sent from my SM-F731U using Tapatalk

Shaking my head.

He's a Steeler now and if he's a starter, I will root for him to have his best season yet. But big picture, I think this is a very bad move. It's like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound. Why?
    • Wilson has two, perhaps three seasons left in him. That means this is a short-term fix of a long-term problem. What we need is a new franchise QB. What we do not need is another retread.
    • KP has exactly one game under his belt with a NFL-level gameplan. In that game, he threw for 278 yards and had a 72 percent completion percentage. His passer rating was 97.8 percent. That puts him, ironically, even with Russell Wilson's average QB rating last year. If anyone doesn't believe KPs numbers and efficiency wasn't affected by Canada, then their being blissful ignorant on purpose. (I'm not saying KP is the next franchise QB, just that we do not know his ceiling until we see him a season with a new OC).

The only way I see this being a good plan is if the Steelers have their eye on a QB this year or perhaps next year in the draft and they have a plan in place to keep us competitive until they get to that QB. Otherwise, this a desperation move and reeks of a cellar-dweller mentality.

Russell Wilson is now a Steeler

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    What about Minkah and TJ.

George P should be his best friend
    Don't piss off the "diva WR" Mr
    Ciara.

The good with it. Wisconsin Boys!

One year deal just tells you that most likely no one else was interested in him?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I think its gonna be rd 3 or 4 and more specific I think its gonna be Rattler to sit a year behind Russ ....

I have mixed feelings on Rattler , he has had some great play and some pretty meh play if good Spencer shows up there is no arguing the talent is there but when bad Spence shows up it can be hard to watch ...that said he has some of the same traits that you get with Russ

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

That pretty much shows a steady decline and you can have those type of ratings throwing behind the LOS, five yards past the LOS and not throwing in the middle of the field.

I get that Wilson is better by numbers. Not sure why people keep making that statement…I haven’t seen anyone argue otherwise. He’s critiques last season and 2022 have been the exact same as what the Steelers fan base here was saying about Ben, Rudolph and Pickett at times.

The question remains does he “fix” the .500 Standard for this year and help the team past 2024. He’s basically going to bridge the QB position into a situation that the Steelers were already in with a crappy QB class.
    98 is a good to great passer rating. Kenny's was 81.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'd like Nix or Penix in R2.

98 is a good to great passer rating. Kenny's was 81.
    Again…no one is arguing that his numbers looked better, even with the fact that Kenny was in an inept offense.

How does this move make the Steelers better in the future?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I'm gonna assume they're going to be renting since they are still trying to unload $50 million worth of houses in both Seattle and Denver. Mega-mansions tend to stay on the market for a while.
    Isnt there a crazy ex WR trying to sell his house?

They may find an old couch in the yard

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Again…no one is arguing that his numbers looked better, even with the fact that Kenny was in an inept offense.

How does this move make the Steelers better in the future?
    IMO, Wilson could have three years left. If he has one then he'll likely have three. If not, cut bait. In the meantime, your draft a R2-3 QB this year or a R1 QB next year.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Isnt there a crazy ex WR trying to sell his house?

They may find an old couch in the yard

Unless he’s cut his grass, no chance they find that couch.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Shaking my head.

He's a Steeler now and if he's a starter, I will root for him to have his best season yet. But big picture, I think this is a very bad move. It's like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound. Why?
    • Wilson has two, perhaps three seasons left in him. That means this is a short-term fix of a long-term problem. What we need is a new franchise QB. What we do not need is another retread.
    • KP has exactly one game under his belt with a NFL-level gameplan. In that game, he threw for 278 yards and had a 72 percent completion percentage. His passer rating was 97.8 percent. That puts him, ironically, even with Russell Wilson's average QB rating last year. If anyone doesn't believe KPs numbers and efficiency wasn't affected by Canada, then their being blissful ignorant on purpose. (I'm not saying KP is the next franchise QB, just that we do not know his ceiling until we see him a season with a new OC).

The only way I see this being a good plan is if the Steelers have their eye on a QB this year or perhaps next year in the draft and they have a plan in place to keep us competitive until they get to that QB. Otherwise, this a desperation move and reeks of a cellar-dweller mentality.
    But,But, But, we want to win now!!! The hell with the future of the team. You nailed it with your post it's the most sensible post i've read here in a while.

Y'all do know that the defense is getting old too, right? The stars probably only have 2-3 years of prime left too. The NFL is all about rebuilding yourself on the fly every 2-3 years. The key is getting a quarterback who can give you stability for 10--12 years. We all hoped it would be Kenny, but it aint. He has 6+ years of starting on D1 and NFL levels and the team is giving up on him for all intents and purposes. At least Wilson might give them a nice run while they look for the next young guy. The way Khan operates it wouldn't surprise me if he drafted one this year. He doesn't operate in Colbert's shadow and I continue to like all his moves. (Remember, Kenny is not Khan's guy).

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    But,But, But, we want to win now!!! The hell with the future of the team. You nailed it with your post it's the most sensible post i've read here in a while.
    I’m probably a KP glass half full as much as anyone, except possibly the KP enabler lol. I don’t see this as desperate at all. Steelers have been trying to find future QB with gambles on Lynch, Haskins, MT and obviously a first round pick on KP. None have panned out as of yet. Personally I was good with KP getting a chance under new OC and given last chance. But you have a future HOF QB with a couple years left in him. Tannehill had a resurgence with Smith and he’s never been close to Wilson. I’m all for another cheap gamble. At least Wilson has been there and proven he could win SB , should’ve been 2 if they pounded the ball in. If it doesn’t work out it’s less than MT or Rudolph would’ve cost us. Maybe KP can learn something.

Senior Member Array title="Voice of Reason has much to be proud of">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    It's better to realize your mistakes and problems sooner than too late!
    Hey, we recognize our mistake of bringing in Trubisky. Let's do the same type of thing again !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Yeah KP got screwed. First he was dictated to by Canada and Tomlin to play conservative, go with the first read and avoid extending plays to create something. Then he’s benched cause they want to ride the hot hand. Now this. He had one game without Canada and tore the bengals d up. We could’ve won with KP this year. But now, he may end up somewhere else and we may rue the day the Steelers got Russell. Russell might do well here for a year and we may have our playoff run but KP may end up being a franchise Qb somewhere else, cause we weren’t just a little patient
    THIS !!! THIS !!! THIS !!!

What I think is that he is a huge upgrade on Kenny Pickett. If Smith designs the right offense for him (run heavy), I can easily see 2-3 more wins and a playoff run. It's the offseason, so we each see what we want to see. Time will tell.
    Remember the old saying: Be careful what you wish for, you may get it. I don't think the Wilson experiment is going to work out quite the way the Anybody But Kenny crowd thinks it is.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I just don’t know what we have with KP and while Wilson may get us more wins and score more TD passes I don’t See us getting far in the playoffs let alone a sniff at the SB. I want to win SBs. That is why I wanted to see a full year with Pickett and Arthur Smith - because I don’t know what we have with Pickett. I know what Wilson is and I just don’t see a SB with him.

many are saying Wilson is better than Pickett and that’s all that matters but what matters is whether Wilson can help us win a sb and I am not convinced.

anyways I will root for him. I will eat crow any day for a Steelers SB win

You’ll never get a full read on what Pickett is or isn’t…which is a shame but it is what it is at this point.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Yeah KP got screwed. First he was dictated to by Canada and Tomlin to play conservative, go with the first read and avoid extending plays to create something. Then he’s benched cause they want to ride the hot hand. Now this. He had one game without Canada and tore the bengals d up. We could’ve won with KP this year. But now, he may end up somewhere else and we may rue the day the Steelers got Russell. Russell might do well here for a year and we may have our playoff run but KP may end up being a franchise Qb somewhere else, cause we weren’t just a little patient
    It gets worse when they didn't even bother keeping the "hot hand" and end up kicking him to the curb too. So that's TWO drafted Quarterbacks Tomlin threw under the bus. But somehow he deserves credit for "no losing seasons" and shouldn't be blamed for the team underperforming?

What's done is done. I can only hope for the best, but I am not optimistic for 2024.