Thread: Saints decide on Kubiak as next OC

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Saints decide on Kubiak as next OC

a guy I would have liked to have seen in Pittsburgh as would a few others , some here didnt think he was worthy and living off his daddys name , apparently the Saints think otherwise https://www.nfl.com/news/saints-expe...ve-coordinator
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Saints decide on Kubiak as next OC

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    a guy I would have liked to have seen in Pittsburgh as would a few others , some here didnt think he was worthy and living off his daddys name , apparently the Saints think otherwise https://www.nfl.com/news/saints-expe...ve-coordinator
    He might do great. But the stats and results paint the picture of guy that if he wasn't named "Kubiak" would be waiting a long(er) time to have a chair pulled out for him.

I don't see anything in his performance record to indicate he is better than Bienemy. Yet that dude likely won't have a job.

Personally, I would've rather seen the Steelers roll the dice on Kubiak over Smith. But that is more because I think the style is a better fit. Smith has more actual bona fides.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    He might do great. But the stats and results paint the picture of guy that if he wasn't named "Kubiak" would be waiting a long(er) time to have a chair pulled out for him.

I don't see anything in his performance record to indicate he is better than Bienemy. Yet that dude likely won't have a job.

Personally, I would've rather seen the Steelers roll the dice on Kubiak over Smith. But that is more because I think the style is a better fit. Smith has more actual bona fides.

Should be noted that Kubiak's dad was a coach at Texas A&M while Allen was a player there. It is all networks and who you know anyway. Very little of these hires are based on merit.

Think about the Steelers own situation. Even if we say that Tomlin, Khan, and Rooney knew for sure they were hiring an outside OC the day they fired Canada...how much do you think they really know about any of the folks they interviewed.

The Steelers interviewed Smith on January 28. They played the Bills on Jan 15. We can safely assume that until Jan 16, no one was really thinking about anything besides the Bills.

Figure that the 16th-20th was filled with travel back from Buffalo, exit interviews, and all the other things we sorta know go into the end of a season. So that means that there was likely about a 7 day window for the brain trust to really focus on digging in on OC candidates. I don't know the other candidates interview dates, but at least one was prior to Smith. So figure that cuts into the time to research each candidate.

The dirty secret is that these hires are made on vibes, personal connections, and general impressions during in person conversations. They are likely researched and reviewed by fans more than the teams themselves.

FWIW, I have heard multiple former coaches, GMs, and NFL front office folks discuss the same.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Should be noted that Kubiak's dad was a coach at Texas A&M while Allen was a player there.
    was he ? all I can find is HC , OC and DC and from 92-95 when Allen was there I do not see Kubiaks name albeit they had some fine coaches during that span in Tubberville and Bob Davie
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    was he ? all I can find is HC , OC and DC and from 92-95 when Allen was there I do not see Kubiaks name albeit they had some fine coaches during that span in Tubberville and Bob Davie
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Kubiak: Texas A&M (1992–1993) Running backs coach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis...can_football): College: Texas A&M (1992–1995)

Might not have any bearing on anything. But basically football coaches only get hired by their friends, former co-workers, or dudes who owe their careers to someone that has a connection. It has very little to do with merit or ability.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Kubiak: Texas A&M (1992–1993) Running backs coach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis...can_football): College: Texas A&M (1992–1995)

Might not have any bearing on anything. But basically football coaches only get hired by their friends, former co-workers, or dudes who owe their careers to someone that has a connection. It has very little to do with merit or ability.
    That’s the way the non-football world works too!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    That’s the way the non-football world works too!
    Absolutely. But fans treat the NFL coaching cycle as a meritocracy and it is not.