Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 301 to 318 of 318

Thread: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

  1. #301
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    19,974

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Are we talking Sean Spence? I thought that his leg injury almost ended up in nerve or vascular damage that could have left him unable to walk properly, if at all. That injury was just brutal. But if you watched him in college at Miami, he was a tackling machine that was always around the ball. Kind of like a Johathan Vilma type LB. If Spence and Shazier could have avoided injuries....
    Yup. He was shaping up to be a player that well exceeded his testing numbers but some brutal injuries just robbed him of a longer career. It was to his credit he came back. Twice.

  2. #302
    Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Gender
    Posts
    2,760

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    So the fact that the Bears had rushed for 222 yards against them and the Jags previously rushed for 231 yards against them had nothing to do with the players on the field? Duck Hodges would have been a good QB for us if only we'd had the right coach?

    - - - Updated - - -


    Wow, do I disagree with that. In the playoff game Sean Spence was a turnstile offering little more resistance that a wet paper bag. Tomlin was supposed to coach Sean Spence into James Farrior?
    i was talking the last 4 games of the regular season. Still he had 5 total tackles and 3 solos in that playoff game. Not totally inept as some people like to make him out to be. Btw, that first game against the Jags were they ran over us for 180 yards? Shazier was in that game. So the narrative that we couldn't stop them because we didn't have our starters is kind of debunked. Again, it all points to being unprepared and getting caught looking past the opponent .... again.

  3. #303
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    11,685

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Are you guys hearing all the wildness coming out about Shanahan basically blowing another SB? He said he did what the analytics told him was the better move by taking the ball first. But since the playoff OT rule change there have been zero OT playoff games. Thus zero analytics. There are other things being talked about on this as well. Odd.

  4. #304
    Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has much to be proud of"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    1,743

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Wait. You’re saying a slightly undersized LB who was a below average NFL athlete by testing numbers and then suffered multiple significant injuries might’ve been a bit physically overmatched?

    Nah. Coach more harder.
    Nah. Do you think a coach that see's a slightly undersized LB that suffered multiple injuries would start a player that could do the job better? Nah. Leave a liability to be the starter.

  5. #305
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    28,249

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    i was talking the last 4 games of the regular season. Still he had 5 total tackles and 3 solos in that playoff game. Not totally inept as some people like to make him out to be. Btw, that first game against the Jags were they ran over us for 180 yards? Shazier was in that game. So the narrative that we couldn't stop them because we didn't have our starters is kind of debunked. Again, it all points to being unprepared and getting caught looking past the opponent .... again.
    Spence was horrible back in 2017....I don't care about the number of tackle he had in the playoffs game vs jaguars...it mean nothing....I mean as example,in the game between steelers vs seahawks at the end of the year in 2023,Devin Bush(with seattle)had 17 tackles but the steelers had around 200 rushing yards in that game....sorry I am not impress by the tackle stats when your tackle come so often after a 8-10 yards gain.....

    For the regular season game vs Jaguars,the jaguars had one of the best running game in the league that year but 90 of those yards come in the final 2 minutes of the game when the game was over...The steelers lost this game because of 5 interception by Ben(career high) and 2 pick 6 after the steelers were up 9-7 to be down 20-9 after that

  6. #306
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    19,974

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    Nah. Do you think a coach that see's a slightly undersized LB that suffered multiple injuries would start a player that could do the job better? Nah. Leave a liability to be the starter.
    Do you remember that were talking about an injury created mess? Not like they went into the season planning in this.

  7. #307
    Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has much to be proud of"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    1,743

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Do you remember that we’re talking about an injury created mess? Not like they went into the season planning in this.
    Still don't you put your best players on the field? Not players that are only playing at half speed. We agree to disagree, to me that's on the coach.

  8. #308
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    50,036

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Are you guys hearing all the wildness coming out about Shanahan basically blowing another SB? He said he did what the analytics told him was the better move by taking the ball first. But since the playoff OT rule change there have been zero OT playoff games. Thus zero analytics. There are other things being talked about on this as well. Odd.
    Even without analytics, you still have to stop one team with your defense so to take the ball first or last is kinda irrelevant in the big scheme. Taking it second gives you a better idea of exactly what you need and probably the advantage but first/second, the idea (as it is 99.999999999999999%) of the game is to stop the offense.

    Hes receiving criticism for no reason at all. Its non-sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

  9. #309
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    11,685

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Even without analytics, you still have to stop one team with your defense so to take the ball first or last is kinda irrelevant in the big scheme. Taking it second gives you a better idea of exactly what you need and probably the advantage but first/second, the idea (as it is 99.999999999999999%) of the game is to stop the offense.

    He’s receiving criticism for no reason at all. It’s non-sense.
    The bizarre part is saying the decision was based on analytics, when no analytics exist for that specific decision.

    Another thing he said in the same interview is that he assumed his assistants were going to explain OT rules for the SB game. He’s thrown both his analytics team and his assistant coaches under the bus. That’s what a lot of talk I’m hearing is about. Not doing basic HC things, like taking up for your guys/taking responsibility, blaming analytics, things veteran coaches shouldn’t do.

  10. #310
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    19,974

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    Still don't you put your best players on the field? Not players that are only playing at half speed. We agree to disagree, to me that's on the coach.
    Spence was the best player because they were out of guys on the roster. There was no one else.

    You could mount an argument that they shouldve done a better job scouring the in season FA lists to find someone more capable. But they went with literally the only player available who already knew the defense.

    Spence slotted in next to VW after Shazier and Matekavich got hurt. And I remember both him and VW getting their butts kicked all day.

  11. #311
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    50,036

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The bizarre part is saying the decision was based on analytics, when no analytics exist for that specific decision.

    Another thing he said in the same interview is that he assumed his assistants were going to explain OT rules for the SB game. Hes thrown both his analytics team and his assistant coaches under the bus. Thats what a lot of talk Im hearing is about. Not doing basic HC things, like taking up for your guys/taking responsibility, blaming analytics, things veteran coaches shouldnt do.
    I didnt realize he was tossing his staff under the bus. Thats kind of BS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

  12. #312
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    19,974

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I didnt realize he was tossing his staff under the bus. Thats kind of BS.
    Many of these scheme wizards jumped several steps as they climbed the coaching ladder or served limited time in junior positions. Then they get handed the big chair based on scheme knowledge and everyone hopes the leadership stuff just follows.

    Doesnt always work that way.

  13. #313
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,581

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Even without analytics, you still have to stop one team with your defense so to take the ball first or last is kinda irrelevant in the big scheme. Taking it second gives you a better idea of exactly what you need and probably the advantage but first/second, the idea (as it is 99.999999999999999%) of the game is to stop the offense.

    He’s receiving criticism for no reason at all. It’s non-sense.
    I agree, its nonsense. There was some talk that the 49ers defense was on the field at the end of the game and could use the rest instead of going back out again and playing defense.

    So you take the ball, go and score and then stop the other team. Thats the plan. If they gave KC the ball first, then KC scores and you still have to go out and score. They didnt lose the game because they didnt make the right call at the coin toss, they lost he game because they had an injury to one of their best ILB's and likely didnt have a better answer than putting in a reserve LB that wasnt good in coverage.

  14. #314
    Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Gender
    Posts
    10,203

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The bizarre part is saying the decision was based on analytics, when no analytics exist for that specific decision.
    There's analytics for similar scenarios. There's also analytics for OT with FGs since they made that change a few years back. Either way, it was a stupid decision that gave Mahomes an advantage. That's one thing you never want to do with Mahomes.

    If Tomlin did that, there would be 13 new Fire Tomlin threads on this little site alone.

  15. #315
    Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Gender
    Posts
    2,760

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Spence was horrible back in 2017....I don't care about the number of tackle he had in the playoffs game vs jaguars...it mean nothing....I mean as example,in the game between steelers vs seahawks at the end of the year in 2023,Devin Bush(with seattle)had 17 tackles but the steelers had around 200 rushing yards in that game....sorry I am not impress by the tackle stats when your tackle come so often after a 8-10 yards gain.....

    For the regular season game vs Jaguars,the jaguars had one of the best running game in the league that year but 90 of those yards come in the final 2 minutes of the game when the game was over...The steelers lost this game because of 5 interception by Ben(career high) and 2 pick 6 after the steelers were up 9-7 to be down 20-9 after that
    Whatever, Spence was ok before that game. Maybe the jags made him look bad, they didn’t make shazier look too good either. 91 yards on the day if you want to negate the 90 yard run, which you shouldn’t; happened on 3rd down with just under 2 minutes to play down 14: possible to make it interesting with a quick score.

  16. #316
    Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

    Join Date
    Feb 2023
    Gender
    Posts
    1,295

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    i was talking the last 4 games of the regular season. Still he had 5 total tackles and 3 solos in that playoff game. Not totally inept as some people like to make him out to be. Btw, that first game against the Jags were they ran over us for 180 yards? Shazier was in that game. So the narrative that we couldn't stop them because we didn't have our starters is kind of debunked. Again, it all points to being unprepared and getting caught looking past the opponent .... again.
    My point is not just that we lost to the Jags because we didn't have all our starters. My point is the Steeler D sucked vs. the run WITH all of our starters and were somehow EVEN WORSE once Shazier when down and we were left with Spence.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I agree, its nonsense. There was some talk that the 49ers defense was on the field at the end of the game and could use the rest instead of going back out again and playing defense.

    So you take the ball, go and score and then stop the other team. Thats the plan. If they gave KC the ball first, then KC scores and you still have to go out and score. They didnt lose the game because they didnt make the right call at the coin toss, they lost he game because they had an injury to one of their best ILB's and likely didnt have a better answer than putting in a reserve LB that wasnt good in coverage.
    What? A loss of a starter at linebacker forced Shanahan to play a lesser player and it ended up costing in a playoff game? Excuses, excuses, Shanahan should have coached harder.

  17. #317
    Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Gender
    Posts
    2,760

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    My point is not just that we lost to the Jags because we didn't have all our starters. My point is the Steeler D sucked vs. the run WITH all of our starters and were somehow EVEN WORSE once Shazier when down and we were left with Spence.

    - - - Updated - - -


    What? A loss of a starter at linebacker forced Shanahan to play a lesser player and it ended up costing in a playoff game? Excuses, excuses, Shanahan should have coached harder.
    So despite the odds and record you know you got burned last time against the run and your QB had a crappy game. So You do everything you can to stop the run , like maybe bring your strong safety up to take away the plays to the right (doesn’t look like that happened) and get your QB focused, and last thing you want to do is create distractions and bulletin board material for the other team…but I guess we don’t live in our fears. Did something similar happen in Cleveland in 21? Maybe we’ll get it right next time if we get back in contention, maybe a better QB than Ben and better D with better coordinators will help, maybe Ben was the overrated one lol

  18. #318
    Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

    Join Date
    Feb 2023
    Gender
    Posts
    1,295

    Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Wont Be Fired, But Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    So despite the odds and record you know you got burned last time against the run and your QB had a crappy game. So You do everything you can to stop the run , like maybe bring your strong safety up to take away the plays to the right (doesn’t look like that happened) and get your QB focused, and last thing you want to do is create distractions and bulletin board material for the other team…but I guess we don’t live in our fears. Did something similar happen in Cleveland in 21? Maybe we’ll get it right next time if we get back in contention, maybe a better QB than Ben and better D with better coordinators will help, maybe Ben was the overrated one lol
    Well Ben did have a bad INT to set the Jags up in scoring position and a fumble that was returned for a TD. But no, otherwise I think Ben was pretty brilliant that game.

    I think they were doing things to try to stop the run but then Bortles would burn them with play action. Keeping in mind the starting secondary for that game was Joe Haden, Artie Burns, Sean Davis, and Mike Mitchell.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •