Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Won’t Be Fired, But ‘Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

Senior Member Array title="Voice of Reason has a brilliant future">

Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Won’t Be Fired, But ‘Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Oh, those Tomlin apologists and their excuses.
    What Watt said about Tomlin's "impact" is all well and good, but I'd be a lot more impressed with that "impact" if it actually produced some playoff wins once in a while.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Schefter: Mike Tomlin Won’t Be Fired, But ‘Could Decide To Take Some Time Off

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I defined what a debate was without "confronting" anybody. You disagreed with my definition, which is fine. But in the course of disagreeing you chose to insult me personally by calling me "confrontational". That insult itself was confrontational. But if I now object to it, it will be interpreted by you guys as another example of me being confrontational and wanting to fight.

So another old-timer on the board accuses me of doing something that he is actually doing himself, and then tries to blame me for it. Just another ordinary day at Steelers Universe.
    That’s not the definition of “debate”.

So what…I’m confrontational then. Doesn’t mean that you’re not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Trolls are gonna troll.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

You sir are confrontational with your cartoons.

BAN 86!!!!!

Sent from my SM-F731U using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    You sir are confrontational with your cartoons.

BAN 86!!!!!

Sent from my SM-F731U using Tapatalk

Poorly coached, poorly prepared and out coached team.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Not debatable…Mike Tomlin is a great HC. Mike Tomlin will one day be in the HoF for being a great HC. Mike Tomlin is currently the HC for the Steelers. 2024 will be a new season.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a reputation beyond repute"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Not debatable…Mike Tomlin is a great HC. Mike Tomlin will one day be in the HoF for being a great HC. Mike Tomlin is currently the HC for the Steelers. 2024 will be a new season.
    I think 2024 will be a prove it season for not only the players but more importanly the coaches. Changes need to be made, it's been too long with the playoff wins not coming our way.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    I think 2024 will be a prove it season for not only the players but more importanly the coaches. Changes need to be made, it's been too long with the playoff wins not coming our way.
    I don't know if 'prove it' is accurate, but 2024 is definitely our opportunity to put a strong playoff push together.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I don't know if 'prove it' is accurate, but 2024 is definitely our opportunity to put a strong playoff push together.
    Not without good to excellent quarterback play.

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    if someone does an analysis of these games where we've lost to bottom feeders during the Ben era i'm sure they'll find problems. like giving too much cushion to opponent's receivers, LB's not being prepared to react/anticipate where the opponents running play's are going. Maybe that's more of a being unprepared problem than an 'outcoaching' problem. Talking during the last decade where we were contenders, i don't know how many times we've lost to bottom feeders - the coach has to take responsibility for losses like that. Without looking them all up - we seemed to drop at least 2-3 every season. Cowher lost a few of those but its probably a little less. Noll? maybe we lost to one bottom feeder in 1980, a year after the last super bowl. Classic case of this problem is 2017 Playoff Loss to Jacksonville where we were heavy favorites at home but somehow the coach and players were jawing about meeting the Patriots before the jacksonville game. This has been Tomlin's problem; the same hubris he instills in his players when no one thinks they'll win is the same hubris that has made the team arrogant and overlook opponents we were expected to beat - that's what i've hated about our team. In that Jax debacle Fournette ran all over and Blake Bortles shredded our top 10 defense that day. Maybe now that we don't have a HOF QB we won't overlook anyone.
    The 2017 Steeler defense may have been Top 10 on paper, but they could not stop the run to save their lives the entire season. The Bears rang up 222 rushing yards on the Steelers, and the Jags rang up 231 yards in their meetings earlier in the season. AND THEN the Steelers lost Shazier to injury making a defense already porous vs the run somehow even worse against the run. And then in the playoffs they ran into the worst possible matchup in the Jags, a team that could run the ball very well. So the irony is that at that point the Steelers defense matched up better vs. the Patriots than the Jags.

So is that arrogance on the part of Tomlin and the players or is that running into the worst possible playoff matchup, a team that can run the ball very well while your D can't stop the run and is missing one of its best players?

- - - Updated - - -

continue to make excuses for the coach's poor postseason record
    Well, that's the debate, right? One poster's "excuses" are another poster's "valid reasons."

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

The 2017 Steeler defense may have been Top 10 on paper, but they could not stop the run to save their lives the entire season. The Bears rang up 222 rushing yards on the Steelers, and the Jags rang up 231 yards in their meetings earlier in the season. AND THEN the Steelers lost Shazier to injury making a defense already porous vs the run somehow even worse against the run. And then in the playoffs they ran into the worst possible matchup in the Jags, a team that could run the ball very well. So the irony is that at that point the Steelers defense matched up better vs. the Patriots than the Jags.

So is that arrogance on the part of Tomlin and the players or is that running into the worst possible playoff matchup, a team that can run the ball very well while your D can't stop the run and is missing one of its best players?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that's the debate, right? One poster's "excuses" are another poster's "valid reasons."
    it’s arrogance when you look past your opponent. People bag on him but Sean Spence filled in admirably in the last 4 games of the regular season. They were heavily favored for a reason - they knew what the jags were going to do, they just were unprepared and got smashed in the mouth. They let Fournette repeatedly burn them to the right and sometimes up the middle but mostly to the right. Unprepared.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

it’s arrogance when you look past your opponent. People bag on him but Sean Spence filled in admirably in the last 4 games of the regular season. They were heavily favored for a reason - they knew what the jags were going to do, they just were unprepared and got smashed in the mouth. They let Fournette repeatedly burn them to the right and sometimes up the middle but mostly to the right. Unprepared.
    But that’s the unknowable issue. You and others saw it as unprepared. I saw it as incapable. The LB corps was just not able to accomplish their task. Then Mitchell and other safeties cheated to stop the run and got beat intermediate and deep.

Non Steelers example from the SB we just watched. On MVS touchdown by the Chiefs, the DB got pulled out of the middle and Greenlaw’s backup wasn’t able to sink deep enough to compress the passing window. You could see that he knew what to do, he just wasn’t the same level of athlete and he couldn’t get it done.

Doesn't mean I am either.

You can tell who the confrontational people are by seeing who starts the confrontations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Trolls are gonna troll.
    Like that.

According to the Tomlin apologists, this means you're not a Steelers fan.

Well, according to the following poster we don't have debates on this site, only "normal conversations", and if you think they are debates you're "confrontational":

A normal conversation is only a debate to a confrontational person. Nothing on this site is "billed" as a debate...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    But that’s the unknowable issue. You and others saw it as unprepared. I saw it as incapable. The LB corps was just not able to accomplish their task. Then Mitchell and other safeties cheated to stop the run and got beat intermediate and deep.
    Well, if you knew they were "incapable", why didn't the head coach know? He showed he didn't know by looking beyond that game to the next game with the Patriots.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Non Steelers example from the SB we just watched. On MVS touchdown by the Chiefs, the DB got pulled out of the middle and Greenlaw’s backup wasn’t able to sink deep enough to compress the passing window. You could see that he knew what to do, he just wasn’t the same level of athlete and he couldn’t get it done.
    they cheated but not to the right, where Fournette did alot of his damage. I mean they saw these guys before in the regular season and got stomped but our coach and some of the players still mouthed off about looking past the jags. We didn't learn anything from that first game it seems. for a 13-3 team, just inexcusable, and you know its not an isolated incident. Yeah given the circumstances i do see it as lacking focus and lack of preparation more than being incapable.

Doesn't mean I am either.

You can tell who the confrontational people are by seeing who starts the confrontations.

- - - Updated - - -

Like that.
    Exactly.

Terrible coach in Shanahan. Should be fired…

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The problem on defense in 2017 post Shazier was not just for the playoffs game....remember a below average offense that year(ravens)had scored 38 points vs us too but I understand the criticism for the game against the jags since some are deserved

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a reputation beyond repute"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

they cheated but not to the right, where Fournette did alot of his damage. I mean they saw these guys before in the regular season and got stomped but our coach and some of the players still mouthed off about looking past the jags. We didn't learn anything from that first game it seems. for a 13-3 team, just inexcusable, and you know its not an isolated incident. Yeah given the circumstances i do see it as lacking focus and lack of preparation more than being incapable.
    I agree about the lack of focus and preparation and that starts with the coaching. I don't buy the incapable part. These players are professional athletes playing in the NFL making millions doing it, not high school or college wannabes.

I agree about the lack of focus and preparation and that starts with the coaching. I don't buy the incapable part. These players are professional athletes playing in the NFL making millions doing it, not high school or college wannabes.
    Why did the Bengals finish last in our division?

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    According to Adam Schefter yesterday on sunday countdown

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/01/sc...medium=twitter

And Jay Glazer said around the same thing too
    So this really had no substance…another “grasp” for a story that was created by a “source” when in a reality it was something created by a “journalist” to see if it would stick as a story.

Why did the Bengals finish last in our division?
    I don't know, and really don't care. You would have to ask the Bengals coaches and how the organization is run about that.

I don't know, and really don't care. You would have to ask the Bengals coaches and how the organization is run about that.
    The answer is injuries and depth. That much most of us do know.

The answer is injuries and depth. That much most of us do know.
    Makes sense i agree.

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has a brilliant future">

So the fact that the Bears had rushed for 222 yards against them and the Jags previously rushed for 231 yards against them had nothing to do with the players on the field? Duck Hodges would have been a good QB for us if only we'd had the right coach?

- - - Updated - - -

but Sean Spence filled in admirably
    Wow, do I disagree with that. In the playoff game Sean Spence was a turnstile offering little more resistance that a wet paper bag. Tomlin was supposed to coach Sean Spence into James Farrior?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Wait. You’re saying a slightly undersized LB who was a below average NFL athlete by testing numbers and then suffered multiple significant injuries might’ve been a bit physically overmatched?

Nah. Coach more harder.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Wait. You’re saying a slightly undersized LB who was a below average NFL athlete by testing numbers and then suffered multiple significant injuries might’ve been a bit physically overmatched?

Nah. Coach more harder.
    Are we talking Sean Spence? I thought that his leg injury almost ended up in nerve or vascular damage that could have left him unable to walk properly, if at all. That injury was just brutal. But if you watched him in college at Miami, he was a tackling machine that was always around the ball. Kind of like a Johathan Vilma type LB. If Spence and Shazier could have avoided injuries....