Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Draft Prospects and Early Mocks

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

2024 Draft Prospects and Early Mocks

Steelers currently picking 16th before week 17 game vs Seahawks.

Rd1: Olumuyiwa Fashanu OT PSU 6'6"-319LBs
    Rd2: Cooper Beebe OG KSU 6'4"-335LBs
    Rd3: Jack Sawyer DE OSU 6'4"-265LBs

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects and Early Mocks

If they tank , can they move up a spot or two

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    If they tank , can they move up a spot or two

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Even if they don't tank they could move up.

We have our spot now. Picking at #20!!!!!

Just going to start with SENIORS. Waiting on others to declare for the draft. Getting some names out there for rds 1/2 consideration.
    https://www.seniorbowl.com/accepted-invites/

OL Prospects:
    Jordan Morgan OT/OG Arizona 6'5"-325
    Graham Barton OT/OG Duke 6'5"-314

DL Prospects:
    Laiatu Latu DE UCLA 6'5"-265
    Brandon Dorlus DL Oregon 6'3"-290

Safety Prospects:
    Tyler Nubin Safety Minnesota 6'2"-210

CB Prospects:
    TJ Tampa CB IowaState 6'2"-200
    Josh Newton CB TCU 6'0"-190
    DJ James CB Auburn 6'1"-164

ILB Prospects:
    Chris Braswell ILB Bama 6'3"-255
    Payton Wilson ILB N.C.State 6'4"-238

QB Prospects:
    Jayden Daniels QB LSU 6'4"-210
    Michael Penix Jr QB Washington 6'3"-213
    Bo Nix QB Oregon 6'2"-217
    Michael Pratt QB Tulane 6'3"-220

Again, these prospects are SENIORS. No underclassmen listed until they officially declare for the draft. I haven't looked into that yet myself, if you guys have that info go ahead and post those prospects too.

List of underclassmen that have declared for the NFL draft. Per CBSSports:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...have-declared/

Graham Barton
    OG Duke

Kris Jenkins
    DT Michigan

Josh Newton
    CB TCU

Payton Wilson
    LB NC State

Christian Mahogany
    OG Boston College

Joe Milton
    QB Tennessee

Jordan Whittington
    WR Texas

I hate the way this posted.

Another too early mock:

Rd1(20): Kamren Kinchens Safety Miami, Maybe best overall Safety in this draft.

Rd2(51): Zach Frazier Center W. Virginia, A solid immovable object in the middle of the OL.

Rd3(84): Tommy Eichenberg ILB OSU, Tackling machine with a non-stop motor.

Rd4(119): Joe Milton QB Tennessee, 6'5"-240LB mobile QB with a canon arm.

Rd4(120): Jaylen Wright RB Tennessee, Homerun speed, not a power RB. Nice change of pace guy.

Rd6(196): Keandre Lambert-Smith WR PSU, Speedy WR that can start out on ST until he earns a role on the offense.

Rd7(237): Trey Knox TE S. Carolina, Great hands, good speed, not a blocker.

20: Amarius Mims OT Georgia
    51: Edgerrin Cooper ILB Texas A&M
    84: Sedrick Van Pran Center Georgia
    119: Johnny Dixon CB PSU
    120: Cole Bishop Safety Utah
    196: Keith Randolph Jr DL Illinois
    237: Jordan Whittington WR Texas

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I will not be shocked if Christian Jones, OT from Texas ends up a Steeler in maybe the 3rd round of the draft. 6'5" 318lbs, great feet, what look like strong hands. RT prospect for sure.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

draft talk has basically dried up on this site and its not wonder ..

whats the point of it all if you cant say you disliked a pick or would rather of had this guy without people bitching and moaning that they are not steelers so shut up blah blah blah ...

my draft talk is over here
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    draft talk has basically dried up on this site and its not wonder ..

whats the point of it all if you cant say you disliked a pick or would rather of had this guy without people bitching and moaning that they are not steelers so shut up blah blah blah ...

my draft talk is over here
    Lol...drunk already? Dude, you have to be aware of how YOU kept bringing the subject up. It was never just you wanting Sam over Kenny, you just kept throwing out stats with the I told ya so type posts. Obviously people reacted. Let it be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I will not be shocked if Christian Jones, OT from Texas ends up a Steeler in maybe the 3rd round of the draft. 6'5" 318lbs, great feet, what look like strong hands. RT prospect for sure.

How does he look in run blocking? I think I only saw 1 run block rep on that one.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Lol...drunk already? Dude, you have to be aware of how YOU kept bringing the subject up. It was never just you wanting Sam over Kenny, you just kept throwing out stats with the I told ya so type posts. Obviously people reacted. Let it be.

- - - Updated - - -

How does he look in run blocking? I think I only saw 1 run block rep on that one.
    Run blocking looked good in 11 v 11. I havent watched the game yet but his college tape looks good as a run blocker. I think Isaac Williams from the Steelers being on that coaching staff will give a good idea of if he might be a good RT only prospect. He had good inside hand position and feet and he handled most reps really well upfield, bull rush and counter moves.

Is Kalen King from Penn State a possible Steelers CB prospect? Him and Peezy Jr. get reunited in the NFL maybe.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Is Kalen King from Penn State a possible Steelers CB prospect? Him and Peezy Jr. get reunited in the NFL maybe.

He was pretty good. Not JPJ good but he was solid.

If they took JPJ the Center in Round 1 and King in Round 2, I’d be happy with that. Not sure what round King is projected to go but those two would be very helpful for 2024.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He was pretty good. Not JPJ good but he was solid.

If they took JPJ the Center in Round 1 and King in Round 2, I’d be happy with that. Not sure what round King is projected to go but those two would be very helpful for 2024.
    Yeah, I would be good with those guys as the first 2 picks as well. What about going D line with the 3rd round pick? 6'4" 292lbs could fit the 3-4 DE for the Steelers. Not sure that Loudermilk or Leal are really working out as DE's of any impact.

Marshawn Kneeland DL from Western Michigan. 6'3"- 275ish. I would consider him in the 3rd, would definitely draft if there in the 4th. Got good reviews from the Senior Bowl practices. W. Mich moved him around on the DL and he attacks from every angle. Great motor. Someone I could see develop into a long term starter in a year or 2.

Snaps vs Iowa 2023. Not a highlight film, game film with terrible music.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUlq3iwVpyc

NFL DRAFT BUZZ w/Spider chart
    https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/...esternMichigan
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 02-17-2024 at 09:28 AM.

DeWayne Carter DL from Duke. 6'2"-300ish. A more traditional technique DL. Plays inside/outside. Another high motor prospect for 3rd/4th round consideration. Maybe not a year 1 starter but someone with long term potential.

Snaps vs FSU 2023. Mic'd up video so no terrible music, just chatter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVaQ6ilonRw

NFL DRAFT BUZZ w/Spider chart
    https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/...Carter-DT-Duke
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 02-17-2024 at 09:29 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It’s going to be how some of these guys measure. The Steelers, unless they’re changing, have an extremely narrow range of height, weight, and arm length that all their DL have fallen into.

Usually there’s like 2 guys in each class that fit the prototype. Anyone else, historically, they’ve just ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It’s going to be how some of these guys measure. The Steelers, unless they’re changing, have an extremely narrow range of height, weight, and arm length that all their DL have fallen into.

Usually there’s like 2 guys in each class that fit the prototype. Anyone else, historically, they’ve just ignored.
    Not sure I follow what you're saying. 6'3"-6'5", 290-315LBs, with Loudermilk being 6'7". I don't think these measurements will take taller or heavier guys off the board. Some prospects are definitely too small for our 3-4. Of the 10 DL on the roster 4 are from the BIG10 and 4 are from the SEC though. That seems to be an even narrower range.

Michigan's Kris Jenkins keeps catching my eye when I'm looking through DL prospects as someone that the Steelers might target early. He does fall within the current range of DL on the roster as well at 6'3" and 305LBs. It's his strength with taking on blockers that writers keep mentioning that sticks out the most though.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Not sure I follow what you're saying. 6'3"-6'5", 290-315LBs, with Loudermilk being 6'7". I don't think these measurements will take taller or heavier guys off the board. Some prospects are definitely too small for our 3-4. Of the 10 DL on the roster 4 are from the BIG10 and 4 are from the SEC though. That seems to be an even narrower range.

Michigan's Kris Jenkins keeps catching my eye when I'm looking through DL prospects as someone that the Steelers might target early. He does fall within the current range of DL on the roster as well at 6'3" and 305LBs. It's his strength with taking on blockers that writers keep mentioning that sticks out the most though.
    They have highly specific body type and testing requirements that they go back to over and over again when drafting college DL prospects to turn into the DE's they prefer. The two times they have gone out of those boxes are basically Leal and McCullers...both guys that seem to never really made the fit into the defense.

Here is the laundry list of things: https://steelersdepot.com/2023/04/st...ive-ends-2023/

And here is an attempt to apply these numbers and the "style of defense" the team prefers as filters to the 2024 draft class: https://steelersdepot.com/2024/02/pa...aft-prospects/

You end up scouring the earth for guys that are 6'4" to 6'6" around 300 #'s, at least 33" arms and can play either outside in more of a DE role or inside in more of DT role. What they ask their DL to do is really difficult and highly technical. There are few guys playing like they want in college defenses and each draft year, they really only look at a small number of DL prospects. Much smaller and more restricted than we all do as fans.

I just don't think they are going to break their "rules" for this position.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

They have highly specific body type and testing requirements that they go back to over and over again when drafting college DL prospects to turn into the DE's they prefer. The two times they have gone out of those boxes are basically Leal and McCullers...both guys that seem to never really made the fit into the defense.

Here is the laundry list of things: https://steelersdepot.com/2023/04/st...ive-ends-2023/

And here is an attempt to apply these numbers and the "style of defense" the team prefers as filters to the 2024 draft class: https://steelersdepot.com/2024/02/pa...aft-prospects/

You end up scouring the earth for guys that are 6'4" to 6'6" around 300 #'s, at least 33" arms and can play either outside in more of a DE role or inside in more of DT role. What they ask their DL to do is really difficult and highly technical. There are few guys playing like they want in college defenses and each draft year, they really only look at a small number of DL prospects. Much smaller and more restricted than we all do as fans.

Hargrave was a DT/NT if I remember correctly. Not a DE/DT.

If we are evaluating prospects for the “NT” role the Steelers put out; then we can look at squatter and heavier prospects.

I thought we were discussing what the Steelers look for from their DEs.

Hargrave was a DT/NT if I remember correctly. Not a DE/DT.

If we are evaluating prospects for the “NT” role the Steelers put out; then we can look at squatter and heavier prospects.

I thought we were discussing what the Steelers look for from their DEs.
    he was primarily a NT but he did fill in some at DE

and I was basing it on this post

I don't know or have easily collated the #'s on NT only guys.

But if they are going to play some version of DE or I guess more appropriately they are going to be a DL than can play all three downs and in all defensive packages for the Steelers....they have had a specific and fairly restrictive set of height, weight, agility, arm length, and play style parameters that they have looked for in guys that they draft.

As more and more colleges don't play the style of defense that the Steelers prefer....it gets harder and harder to find these guys. Additionally, and here I am taking others at their word, I am hearing the the opportunities to earn $$$ while still in school are taking dozens of underclassmen out of each draft class making some position groups far shallower.

I think getting reinforcements along the DL is really important and as we have seen it can take several years for a pick to have an impact. So I hope they find 1-2 guys from this class.

While I do completely agree we are full at the edge rusher position, I disagree with a couple names the author puts as edge rusher only. But that pretty much comes down to opinion anyway.

Maason Smith, LSU, looks like a great option early.

I don't know or have easily collated the #'s on NT only guys.

But if they are going to play some version of DE or I guess more appropriately they are going to be a DL than can play all three downs and in all defensive packages for the Steelers....they have had a specific and fairly restrictive set of height, weight, agility, arm length, and play style parameters that they have looked for in guys that they draft.

As more and more colleges don't play the style of defense that the Steelers prefer....it gets harder and harder to find these guys. Additionally, and here I am taking others at their word, I am hearing the the opportunities to earn $$$ while still in school are taking dozens of underclassmen out of each draft class making some position groups far shallower.

I think getting reinforcements along the DL is really important and as we have seen it can take several years for a pick to have an impact. So I hope they find 1-2 guys from this class.
    I think that is over blown , he is why ...

the first year with payments I agree it takes away from the class , after that I disagree because it only effects JR's really so the next year while you have a new crop of Jrs that may not declare you have an abundance of Sr's (all the regular SR class and the JR's that didn't declare the prior year that are now part of that SR class )

20: Jackson Powers-Johnson Center Oregon 6'3"-335
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzWLyb-lWRA

52: Ennis Rakestraw Jr CB Mizzou
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hucr65iaOcU

84: Marshawn Kneeland DE W. Michigan 6'3"-275
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxu-Ef-tOUI

119: James Williams Safety Miami
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPOuapsNN_8

120: Brenden Rice WR USC 6'2"-215
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcC4l11L5t8

196: Walter Rouse OT Oklahoma 6'5"-120
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQWp-CCvg90

237: Maema Njongmeta LB Wisconsin 6'0"-240
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIk7nELK9s4

20: Kool-Aid McKinstry CB Bama 6’0”-200

52: Zach Frazier Center WV 6’3”-313

84: Cedric Gray ILB NC 6’2”-234

119: Javon Foster OT Mizzou 6’6”-313

120: Marshawn Kneeland DE W. Mich 6’3”-270

196: Jordan Jefferson DT LSU 6’3”-315

237: John Emery RB LSU 6’0”-224

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

2024 Draft Prospects and Early Mocks

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler