Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Has Mason Rudolph Been Given A Fair Shot To Play/Start?

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Re: Has Mason Rudolph Been Given A Fair Shot To Play/Start?

I hope MR does get a chance to start and proves the doubters wrong. As for our situation, best thing KP can do is watch tape, practice hard, and if he is going to be the backup wait for your opportunity. Asking for a trade is probably not the best way to go. A lot can change in a year or two, the starter position could be up for grabs again and their could be a new coach in place.

actually there may be better opportunities out there for KP, like a Young/Bill Walsh type of pairing. We’ll see.
    Last edited by Steeler-in-west; 03-13-2024 at 08:43 PM.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Mason Rudolph has as much chance to win the starting job in Tennessee as I do.

Dude got bottom dollar backup money.

That "up to" part is likely contract-ese for "don't get beat out by Malik Willis who looks to be awful".
    Agree. Will Levis is the future at QB there and Rudolph is a guy with some NFL starts for depth/insurance. He got Cooper Rush kind of money.

Remember when so many posters were talking about Malik Willis as a first round pick?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Agree. Will Levis is the future at QB there and Rudolph is a guy with some NFL starts for depth/insurance. He got Cooper Rush kind of money.

Remember when so many posters were talking about Malik Willis as a first round pick?

not me lol , I thought he was aweful
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

A Canada shackled KP out dueled Levis so I don’t see the fascination.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I got sucked in and bought the hype.

I do every year on at least one Willis type and one big armed QB.

I go all anime eyes and forget to turn on my brain.

I'll be posting next month about some terrible QB prospect or the other sure that I've found the next big thing.

So you all can look forward to that.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I'll be posting next month about some terrible QB prospect or the other sure that I've found the next big thing.

or just tune into Rattler and get the big armed guy who can run and might have an actual chance at being a player
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    not me lol , I thought he was aweful
    You and me both. If people bothered to watch him play and not just read the hype on the internet they would have seen a guy that is inconsistent and a multi year project. But he got drafted where he should have and if they can work on his accuracy and ability to read defenses he could turn out to be a good QB.

- - - Updated - - -

We know, you love arm strength. So Milton and Penix will be the guys that you buy in on this year.

Senior Member Array title="feltdizz has much to be proud of">

Mason has no one to blame but himself. He had a nice 4 game stretch and read way too many local papers talking about all the money he just made. Instead of jumping at a chance to negotiate with us while he was hot he wanted to test FA that was filled with a ton of QB’s with more experience and a deep QB draft.

He got some terrible advice and believed the hype.

Now he is in a battle with Malik Willis to back up Levis. He will get a chance to play because Levis holds onto the ball and takes hits but he needs a season ending injury to Levis for a chance to shine.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You and me both. If people bothered to watch him play and not just read the hype on the internet they would have seen a guy that is inconsistent and a multi year project. But he got drafted where he should have and if they can work on his accuracy and ability to read defenses he could turn out to be a good QB.

- - - Updated - - -

We know, you love arm strength. So Milton and Penix will be the guys that you buy in on this year.
    Just because I'm predictable (and wrong) doesn't mean you like gotta point it out and stuff.

Senior Member Array title="Voice of Reason has much to be proud of">

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    Both Kenny and Mason got screwed in Pgh. I wish them both all the luck in the world.
    But hey, it's all good. Both TJ Watt and Cam Heyward love to play for the coach who screwed our QB's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Rudolph to titans. 1 year deal worth up to $3.62 million.
    So glad he found something. I hope he flourishes now that he's away from Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I wish MR the very best, great guy with lots of integrity and a good backup QB. I'm delighted he got out of town.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Has Mason Rudolph Been Given A Fair Shot To Play/Start?

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I would rather have Rudolph and Wilson going into 2024, but it is what it is. Hopefully Wilson will move this offense.
    Rudolph sucked and for a longer period of time. Pickett/Wilson is much better option with a much higher upside.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Rudolph sucked and for a longer period of time. Pickett/Wilson is much better option with a much higher upside.
    I wouln't be counting that chicken before it's hatched. I think they will draft a QB in R3 or R4. If a R1 QB slides to 20 or R2 you can be sure they will take him early.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I wouln't be counting that chicken before it's hatched. I think they will draft a QB in R3 or R4. If a R1 QB slides to 20 or R2 you can be sure they will take him early.
    Then even better!!

Ship Pickett and a first round pick to Minnesota for JJ!

Then even better!!

Ship Pickett and a first round pick to Minnesota for JJ!
    Sold!

Rudolph and Steelers were never close to a deal.

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/03/pr...-new-contract/

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    With a rookie QB you’re not looking for the consistency you want from a veteran QB IMO. Do they show promise and make the occasional throw or play that shows their potential and an occasional wow factor. I live in Tennessee now so watched the kid a handful of games. He has rocket arm and threw deep pretty well. Considering their O line worse than Steelers and lack of weapons outside of Henry he looked promising. I could see him starting for 6-7 years.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    With a rookie QB you’re not looking for the consistency you want from a veteran QB IMO. Do they show promise and make the occasional throw or play that shows their potential and an occasional wow factor. I live in Tennessee now so watched the kid a handful of games. He has rocket arm and threw deep pretty well. Considering their O line worse than Steelers and lack of weapons outside of Henry he looked promising. I could see him starting for 6-7 years.
    I also live in TN and get to watch the Titans every week on network. I thought Levis looked good enough to be comfortable moving forward as your starting QB. I actually think Mason fits the same style if there's enough tape to call it that. The Titans may be good at the QB position for a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Rudolph and Steelers were never close to a deal.

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/03/pr...-new-contract/
    Key sentence in the whole article: "But their actions didn't quite match their words."

If you wanna know why Kenny left, if you wanna know why Mason left, THAT'S THE PROBLEM !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Key sentence in the whole article: "But their actions didn't quite match their words."

If you wanna know why Kenny left, if you wanna know why Mason left, THAT'S THE PROBLEM !!!
    Mason left because they weren’t interested. Rightfully so. He’s not a good QB. He’s a marginal back up that you can find at almost any point in the season.

Mason left because they weren’t interested
    But they said they were. Read the first sentence of the article again. And then, just as the article said, "their actions didn't match their words".

But they said they were. Read the first sentence of the article again. And then, just as the article said, "their actions didn't match their words".
    Being “interested” and interested are two different things and both can be true. Teams say they are “interested” all the time. He clearly wasn’t a top priority. They were probably interested if they couldn’t find anything else and maybe interested in re-signing him later, but clearly wanted something else. Rightfully so…

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I think the key sentence was actually, but then Russell Wilson became available. It’s a dynamic situation, after MR’s 4 games as starter maybe they thought he could compete for starting job. Wilson available for free changed that scenario. Rudolph was like a leased car, Steelers turned him in and bought a used sports car instead of purchasing the mini van when lease matured.

Like it is a problem that an NFL team lost out on the "opportunity" to pay Mason Rudolph to play for them.

I am glad that the organization lied, cheated, and stole plus whatever else it took to get Rudolph off the roster.

Like it is a problem that an NFL team lost out on the "opportunity" to pay Mason Rudolph to play for them.

I am glad that the organization lied, cheated, and stole plus whatever else it took to get Rudolph off the roster.
    Yep, I don’t get the sudden loyalty to MR after starting last few games. He played pretty well and doubled his pay. It worked out well for him. I assume we’re all Steelers fans here, not MR or KP individual fans. Business is business.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Yep, I don’t get the sudden loyalty to MR after starting last few games. He played pretty well and doubled his pay. It worked out well for him. I assume we’re all Steelers fans here, not MR or KP individual fans. Business is business.
    Agreed. The Mason Rudolph could make a push to be a NFL starter conversation is beyond bizarre to me. Everyone knows what Rudolph is at this point. And he isn't very good.

And I would be willing to entertain the conversation that Rudolph is not all that better/worse than Pickett, Fields, Wilson, whatever....but Rudolph is more expensive at this point....

Rudolph and Pickett are competing for the no 1 spot alright.

on a Steelers message board lol

Rudolph is a very good backup Qb, he proved it.

Rudolph and Pickett are competing for the no 1 spot alright.

on a Steelers message board lol

Rudolph is a very good backup Qb, he proved it.
    Thankfully the draft is coming soon. We can stop beating a dead horse.

He made some good throws vs us but never cracked the endzone. I didn’t get the obsession with him after the gam against us but I think it was because he tossed some bombs his first game.

Agreed. The Mason Rudolph could make a push to be a NFL starter conversation is beyond bizarre to me. Everyone knows what Rudolph is at this point. And he isn't very good.

And I would be willing to entertain the conversation that Rudolph is not all that better/worse than Pickett, Fields, Wilson, whatever....but Rudolph is more expensive at this point....
    Couldn’t be any clearer from his play…lol