Thread: Drafting QB in 2024

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Drafting QB in 2024

With all the debate on is it Kenny or is it Canada, I thought what if the Steelers move on from both? That’s the premise. Canada is not brought back in any capacity, and KP is traded away for future picks.

What does the 2024 QB prospects crop look like? Pick 2or3 options to replace KP.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Drafting QB in 2024

Btw, Steelers are currently drafting from the #22 position.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

In that range, maybe Nix or Sanders.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I said this as a joke before, draft Sanders and hire daddy Prime as OC.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I can not believe I am writing this....but if you're in the back half of the first round and you want a QB...maybe gotta take a look at McCarthy from Michigan.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ugh…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I think it would be ill advised to draft a QB next year unless you just take a flier on guy in the middle to late rounds that you have a first round grade on.

If you were drafting in top ten, yes, I'd say consider it. Still, it is not the Steelers' way.

The Steelers will probably give Kenny two more years before they start looking elsewhere. Personally, I'd give him next year with a new coordinator. At the very least, he needs to prove that he can put 30 on an average defense consistently, while maintaining his clutch gene. Otherwise, I'd be drafting a QB in 2025. Thirty on an average defense doesn't seem like much, but considering how putrid the offense has been, it would huge progress. And obviously, he will still have to continue to improve beyond that if we are going to compete for Superbowls, but that would be enough for me to hold off drafting a QB in 2025.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    I think it would be ill advised to draft a QB next year unless you just take a flier on guy in the middle to late rounds that you have a first round grade on.

If you were drafting in top ten, yes, I'd say consider it. Still, it is not the Steelers' way.

The Steelers will probably give Kenny two more years before they start looking elsewhere. Personally, I'd give him next year with a new coordinator. At the very least, he needs to prove that he can put 30 on an average defense consistently, while maintaining his clutch gene. Otherwise, I'd be drafting a QB in 2025. Thirty on an average defense doesn't seem like much, but considering how putrid the offense has been, it would huge progress. And obviously, he will still have to continue to improve beyond that if we are going to compete for Superbowls, but that would be enough for me to hold off drafting a QB in 2025.
    How about just a 300 yard passing game…??

Maybe it’s the Oregon connection but Bo Nix is very similar to Justin Herbert in nearly every statistical category. Nix might not be a terrible draft pick.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Maybe it’s the Oregon connection but Bo Nix is very similar to Justin Herbert in nearly every statistical category. Nix might not be a terrible draft pick.
    He's improved immensely over his 9 years of college football.

You don’t see many 14 year olds playing college football.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

5th year SR ....seems like we been down that road ......
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Dude from Kentucky looks good from the one game I saw. Slated for round 3.

5th year SR ....seems like we been down that road ......
    I was joking.

Edit the OP a little. Keeping KP as the current starter and hoping he upgrades the backup. List your top5 QBs we could draft to eventually take over as starter.

Maybe drafting a QB early isn’t such a terrible idea after all. With KP possibly missing a couple games now, after early reports, anybody else wish we had a stronger QB room?

How nice it would have been if the prospects available this year had been there in 2022!

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

How nice it would have been if the prospects available this year had been there in 2022!
    Steelers should end up drafting in the same spot as 2022, so the guys will be available. It’s whether they think KP is the future. I guess will have answer in offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Steelers should end up drafting in the same spot as 2022, so the guys will be available. It’s whether they think KP is the future. I guess will have answer in offseason.
    At the least, they should take a QB in rounds 4-7. Of course, I believe in doing that every year. Even if you have a franchise QB.

I will always believe in building the OL and DL first. But at the very least the Steelers must have 2 QBs at or above KP's current level. I can't say we expect to win WITH KP, but we definitely don't with MT or MR. There needs to be a plan. Hopefully the new OC will have one. A good one this time.

Just keep building!

Russell Wilson, by every measurable metric upgrades the QB room over what it was in 2023. I still think the Steelers need to draft a QB in this draft. There is still plenty of time to debate names.

What do you guys think of Gus Bradley's kid, maybe a 6th -UDFA option?
    ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Ebu46MCN4

This guys arm and accuracy downfield is just insane. 3rd round?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn-CkUDA4lM

I’d like Penix or Nix if they drop to R2.

I’d like Penix or Nix if they drop to R2.
    If they are going “win now”, which it appears they are, I’d make sure Center, CB, LB and WR were in rounds 1-4 in some combination. Maybe Milton later as the “3rd”? Unless someone falls further than they should that has ultimate value at that pick. Load Wilson up with everything you can to make a run…

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If they are going “win now”, which it appears they are, I’d make sure Center, CB, LB and WR were in rounds 1-4 in some combination. Maybe Milton later as the “3rd”? Unless someone falls further than they should that has ultimate value at that pick. Load Wilson up with everything you can to make a run…
    Very true and I don’t disagree. But…this thread is about drafting a QB. After your brackets of round 4, who do you like? Everybody gets a participation trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Very true and I don’t disagree. But…this thread is about drafting a QB. After your brackets of round 4, who do you like? Everybody gets a participation trophy.
    I think Milton maybe. I think he’s really the only one at that stage that I would consider. Maybe Pratt is behind him? Maybe Leary. At this point, you’re probably just gambling to find the next Brock Purdy…

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think Milton maybe. I think he’s really the only one at that stage that I would consider. Maybe Pratt is behind him? Maybe Leary. At this point, you’re probably just gambling to find the next Brock Purdy…
    Idk…this class has a good combination of mobile QBs and strong arm QBs. I think it looks like a deep class. I would take Joe Milton as high as 3rd round. Same with Pratt.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

since we got Russ , I would be looking for a qb as similar to Russ as possible to sit and learn behind him , for me its Rattler in rd 3 or 4
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

since we got Russ , I would be looking for a qb as similar to Russ as possible to sit and learn behind him , for me its Rattler in rd 3 or 4

I see the logic in that.

I like Bo Nix as a QB. His struggles at AU vs his success at Oregon tells me he needs to go to a more spread offense to be successful in the NFL. Art Smith and the Steelers don’t seem to be planning to do that. Probably not a good fit.

Although I do want the QB to have high level mobility, I want a good to great pocket passer more. For me that guy is Joe Milton.