Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russell Wilson is now a Steeler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Russell Wilson is now a Steeler

One year deal for a little over a million for a 9-time pro bowler and Super Bowl winner who threw 26 TDs and only 8 INTs (3:1) last year. I for one couldn’t be happier with the signing. Feel free to bookmark this thread and flame me if it turns out poorly. All I want is actual professional quarterback play for the Steelers. I personally don’t care for his personality, but football is not a personality contest. The problem, if he has a great year, will be finding the bank to re-sign him.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Russell Wilson is now a Steeler

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    One year deal for a little over a million for a 9-time pro bowler and Super Bowl winner who threw 26 TDs and only 8 INTs (3:1) last year. I for one couldn’t be happier with the signing. Feel free to bookmark this thread and flame me if it turns out poorly. All I want is actual professional quarterback play for the Steelers. I personally don’t care for his personality, but football is not a personality contest. The problem, if he has a great year, will be finding the bank to re-sign him.
    That's a problem I wouldn't mind the Steelers having to deal with. And if KP actually does beat him out and play well so much the better.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

They're not giving the job to KP no matter how well he does. Russ will be handed the starting job, and KP will sit as a backup.

Tomlin will ride into '24 with Wilson and see how far the team goes with him.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    They're not giving the job to KP no matter how well he does. Russ will be handed the starting job, and KP will sit as a backup.

Tomlin will ride into '24 with Wilson and see how far the team goes with him.
    And will it piss you off if Wilson plays well?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

For 1.2 millions....

- - - Updated - - -

Chad Johnson was right 2 week ago

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Wilson is declining but there is zero risk to this.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Voice of Reason is a splendid one to behold">

If true, this is the Mitch Trubisky signing on steroids.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Russell Wilson is now a Steeler

The writing was on the wall all last week. I’m more shocked that it’s not for more than one year. Best case scenario as far as cap goes.

Still don’t see the point. So if Wilson starts and plays extremely well, are they paying him $30-$40M next season? What are they doing with the QB in 2025?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Oh, joy.... If i'm KP i'm asking my agent to get me out of Pgh.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

this cant be so , I mean so many hear told us that he is to full of himself to play for vet min , he is to big headed to sign a 1 year deal , if he does play for vet min this year it will have big $$ years attached to it ....

this can't be true it just cant be true !
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

this cant be so , I mean so many hear told us that he is to full of himself to play for vet min , he is to big headed to sign a 1 year deal , if he does play for vet min this year it will have big $$ years attached to it ....

this can't be true it just cant be true !
    Stop. He's not playing for vet minimum. He's getting $1 million from the Steelers and $38 million from the Broncos.

If his only salary was $1 million this season then I would agree.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Ugh. I hope I’m wrong and now that he’s a Steeler I will root for him but I think this will delay our attempt for a legit franchise QB for several more years.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    Oh, joy.... If i'm KP i'm asking my agent to get me out of Pgh.
    Pickett has no leverage.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Stop. He's not playing for vet minimum. He's getting $1 million from the Steelers and $38 million from the Broncos.

he is signing with the steelers for vet min .... go read the forum I was told by MANY here that would not happen and I did not see you 1 time tell them to stop!

these folks trolled the place with false statements and nobody said a word .....

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

It must have taken a couple of days to talk his wife into living in Pittsburgh

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post

Very true but some thought Wilson was going to get more than 1.2 million if he signed with us

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    Ugh. I hope I’m wrong and now that he’s a Steeler I will root for him but I think this will delay our attempt for a legit franchise QB for several more years.
    Yep. The "twenty year cycle" is well under way now.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Short term gain, long term loss.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

“They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Just heard about this on the drive in. Surprised, but not shocked. Obviously there are still some wait and see things to come, but for now, Let’s GO, Russ!!!

KP+RW > KP+MT+MR

Keep building the run game and stacking the defense.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The writing was on the wall all last week. I’m more shocked that it’s not for more than one year. Best case scenario as far as cap goes.

Still don’t see the point. So if Wilson starts and plays extremely well, are they paying him $30-$40M next season? What are they doing with the QB in 2025?
    And that's why this is dumb.

Signing a bridge QB was dumb and wasted years of time for the franchise.

And when they don't draft a QB this year or next and continue to try and win with another vet FA QB or give Wilson a bag of cash that's gonna be another waste of time.

I'm gonna try and shut up about all this because I was way wrong. I never thought Wilson eoild sign here and I never thought the Steelers would prioritize short term results over long term gain.

I can only hope they've got another move in them at the QB position that lays the groundwork for a long term solution.

I further hope the signing of Wilson does not mean a series of "all in moves" this off season. Like passing on tackle and center in the draft for WR and TE. And a flurry of big $$$ FA signings that trigger a roster purge in 3 years.

They better hope he's Kurt Warner and not every other late career vet QB signed to "win now". Even Warner took 3 years to bear fruit. They've got one.

Uggggghhhhh. Hopefully the rest of the off-season is less dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    And that's why this is dumb.

Signing a bridge QB was dumb and wasted years of time for the franchise.

And when they don't draft a QB this year or next and continue to try and win with another vet FA QB or give Wilson a bag of cash that's gonna be another waste of time.

I'm gonna try and shut up about all this because I was way wrong. I never thought Wilson eoild sign here and I never thought the Steelers would prioritize short term results over long term gain.

I can only hope they've got another move in them at the QB position that lays the groundwork for a long term solution.

I further hope the signing of Wilson does not mean a series of "all in moves" this off season. Like passing on tackle and center in the draft for WR and TE. And a flurry of big $$$ FA signings that trigger a roster purge in 3 years.

They better hope he's Kurt Warner and not every other late career vet QB signed to "win now". Even Warner took 3 years to bear fruit. They've got one.

Uggggghhhhh. Hopefully the rest of the off-season is less dumb.
    Better to take a chance than to stay stuck in the middle

I can not believe that there are people here Stupid enough to think this sets the franchise back .... you wanna know what set the franchise back ? drafting Kenny Pickett in the 1st round , a 5 year college player that did not accumulate draftable numbers until that 5th year and then expecting him to be the guy in the NFL ...

I mean he was 23 -24 beating up on 18 -19 -20 year olds of course he looked better than he was thats liken to a 14 year old playing good ball vs 10 year olds , obviously he will look like a man among boys

and that is exactly why they have age brackets in youth sports

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I further hope the signing of Wilson does not mean a series of "all in moves" this off season. Like passing on tackle and center in the draft for WR and TE.
    They'd better not. People used to complain about how long Ben would hold onto the ball. Just wait until they get a load of Wilson.

It can take 5 years or less(packers) but it also can take 80 years or more(Bears).We don't know

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Russell Wilson is a Steeler now. He’s our guy going forward. The QB room currently costs around $6M.

I wonder if he’ll go on Ben’s podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    Sticking with a quarterback who had the worst TD pass % in history was a better plan?

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    It can take 5 years or less(packers) but it also can take 80 years or more(Bears).We don't know
    The Steelers' historical track record hasn't been too good.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Sticking with a quarterback who had the worst TD pass % in history was a better plan?
    It's better to realize your mistakes and problems sooner than too late!

Some don't agree with that among Steelers fans for some reason....

- - - Updated - - -

The Steelers' historical track record hasn't been too good.
    We've seen worse too...I've talked about the Bears but the Jets are very bad too...it's crazy how many first round draft busts they've had in this position in the last 50 years!

The Steelers have only drafted 4 QBs I believe in the first round since 1970 and 2 in those was an incredible success