Thread: Starting to drink Steelers Optimism Kool-Aid

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Starting to drink Steelers Optimism Kool-Aid

Ok, just as a disclaimer, I get optimistic about the Steelers every year. Even last season. but this coming year just seems super special. Here is why:

1. We have a top Defense. They are the main reason we got into the playoffs last year and this upcoming year, we got better. Watt and Minkah, Cam and Highsmith are playing at top level. We got immediately better with Queen, Dante Jackson and Elliot. And Porter Jr and Benton will no longer be rookies but play with experience under their belt.

2. No Canada - and we have Arthur Smith. Just having no Canada is an improvement but Arthur Smith is a stud offensive coordinator. He was a star with Tenn and considered to be a dud with Atlanta but he had no QBs there. He knows how to control a game with the run and when to attack with the pass and knows not to turn the ball over. our offense will improve greatly because Smith knows how to get the most out of his players. Pickens will flourish as a play-action catch machine and our OL and running backs will play smash mouth football. I would also not be surprised to see Friermeuth and Washington and Austin III flourish as well.

3. We’ve got Russell (fucken) Wilson as our QB1. Honestly I was not hot on him because of how poor his last two years were. But the deeper I look at him - I can’t believe we got him. This guy has won a SB and he has had some amazing statistical years throwing even recently. Outside of Flacco there are only 4 active starting QBs who have won a SB. Maholm, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford and Russell fucken Wilson - and we have him. How much would you trade to get Maholm, Stafford or Rodgers? I think Wilson has been discounted too much for what happened in Denver. Wilson did not have a compatible system in Denver. He was asked to do too much rather than just use his physical and mental talents and play. But even with this hanging over him - he actually played well at times last year under Sean Payton with 26 TDs and just 8 INts. He would have had more TDs if they didn’t sit him to make sure he couldn’t collect any injury money. I believe QBs deteriorate over time because they deteriorate physically (look at Ben) but mentally they just grow and stay grown. Wilson looks physically great and I think Arthur Smith will get the most out of him. If Smith had Wilson as QB in Atlanta - he would still have his job as HC of the falcons.

4. We have much better mental health - this team got a whole lot better mentally because toxic players (Diontae, Kenny, Chukky O) have been sent away and mediocrity (Mason Cole, Mitch Trubisky, Harvin, Rudolph ) isn’t being tolerated. I think Arthur Smith will be a stabilizing presence - the total oppo of Canada and Wilson will also stabilize this team.

5. icing on the cake - Justin Field is now a Steeler and he’s electric. Draft will get us a top stud Center, RT and WR. Tomlin is our coach! I know many don’t like that but I think he’s one of the top HCs in the league and we are lucky to have him. Khan is our GM and will get us playmakers just when it seems impossible. Our run game is strong with Najee and Warren - and a stronger OL will only make them better.

Yep. I’m getting drunk on Steeler Kool-Aid and enjoying every moment of it

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Starting to drink Steelers Optimism Kool-Aid

likely nobody on this board would have been upset if we got Matt Stafford for what we paid for Wilson ......

News flash

Wilson had a higher QBR than Stafford last year
    Wilson threw more TD passes than Stafford last year (with 110 less attempts for Wilson)
    Wilson had a higher completion percentage than Stafford too
    Wilson threw LESS int's than Stafford as well ...

but likely nobody here complains if we landed Stafford .... smh
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Loving this. Let’s GO!!!

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    likely nobody on this board would have been upset if we got Matt Stafford for what we paid for Wilson ......

News flash

Wilson threw more TD passes than Stafford last year (with 110 less attempts for Wilson)

I certainly would have. I'd much rather have Russ. I wasn't big on it at first but have warmed to his signing.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

No better time than now to draft Kool Aid McKinstry…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I wouldn’t have wanted stafford either. Another Qb on the downside of his career who is breaking down more frequently. We just scuttled our first round Qb before his rookie contact was up. (Even Mark Malone got more respect) Steelers have not done something like this in the modern era. Rather we did things like this before Dan Rooney took charge. Anyway, hope it works out.

Tomlin is not a top head coach. He hasn’t been for at least 10 years. Otherwise, give me some of that kool-aid

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

This season has a MUCH different vibe! It feels like the Rooney's said..."Okay, if we are gonna keep Mike, we needs guidance. Not help! Guidance on how to do his job properly!" It really fees like Kahn is kind of pushing Mikey aside during this stage of the season. We are seeing 10 times more about Kahn than Tomlin right now.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

News flash

I saw the playoffs between the Rams and Detroit last season and Stafford was … what Pickett and Rudolph was not. His arm is amazing - wouldn’t be surprised if he throws harder than anyone else in the league and very accurate as well. My wife who is new to football but has become a fan was watching and she had no prior biases (doesn’t know any history, who won what and did what etc…) simply commented what a great QB Stafford was in that game. She just saw his decisiveness in action and his passes zipped with high velocity to the receiver’s hands. Physically and mentally I can see why he’s a SB winning QB.

and I confess I would want Stafford over Wilson if you gave me a choice but only because he’s taller and has a cannon for an arm. I am now thrilled we have Wilson and as you can tell - optimistic as hell

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I'll drink the Kool - Aid like I do most years as the season approaches. I just hope Jim Jones didn't make it.

What? Too soon?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Count me in!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    I'll drink the Kool - Aid like I do most years as the season approaches. I just hope Jim Jones didn't make it.

What? Too soon?
    Nice!

Jimmy set a cult leader bar that few have been able to meet.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

News flash

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Nice!

Jimmy set a cult leader bar that few have been able to meet.
    ………well maybe Ron Hubbard.

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post

What? Too soon?
    I don't think 46 years later is too soon.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    ………well maybe Ron Hubbard.
    Yeah. He’s just a few forced deaths short of the title.

Was just listening to a history of crackpots and their theories. A great deal of people who claim to be in a position to know, believe L Ron stole everything from another loon who was fabricating it all to impress another giant nutbag.

But that’s a story for another time.