Thread: Sam Hartman 2024s Brock Purdy

Member Array title="FordFairLane is a jewel in the rough">

Sam Hartman 2024s Brock Purdy

Really liked Hartman last year and instead of declaring for the draft he took the NIL money. Looking draft boards he is likely a 7th round pick or an UDFA but I have him as a solid 5th round pick and in 2022 I had Brock Purdy as a 5th round pick. So first lets compare them physically.

Sam Hartman Brock Purdy
    Height 6' 1⅛" 6' 0⅝"
    Weight 211 lbs 212 lbs
    Wingspan 75¼" 70⅛"
    Arm Length 31⅜" 29"
    Hand Size 9¾" 9¼"

Hartman wins all but one category. And in weight they are pretty much the same. Neither are physically imposing QBs and if I were to compare Hartman physically to a current NFL QB it would be Baker Mayfield. So this is a big reason why he is down on so many draft boards.

Now lets look at athleticism.
    Sam Hartman Brock Purdy
    10-yard 1.63s 1.55s
    40-yard 4.8s 4.84s
    Vertical 28½" 27'
    Broad Jump 109" na
    3-Cone 7.19s na
    20 Yard Shuttle 4.34s na

Again pretty similar. Brock is a little quicker off the line and Hartman is a little faster down the road. Hartman shows a little more burst in the vertical and Brock didn't elect to compete in the rest.

Lets looks at stats. It is a little hard because Hartman is 24 and is actually older than Brock. He has played a lot more college football so I am doing averages and percentages to try to get a fair comparison.

Sam Hartman Brock Purdy
    completion %
    59.8​
    67.7​
    Y/A
    8.2​
    8.3​
    TD %
    7.06%​
    5.52%​
    INT %
    2.58%​
    2.25%​
    QB Rating
    147.2​
    151.1​

Brock easily wins the completion percentage but Hartman has increased his accuracy every single season and last year had 63.5%. Other than that they are pretty comparable. Hartman gets the ball in the endzone a bit better but both were safe with the football and had great QB ratings.

This is a guy I would hope the Steelers would look into considering we do not have a 7th round pick and if he goes undrafted we should be calling him with a real opportunity to be the #3 QB this year with the opportunity to be the only QB on the rosters right not that has a contract past the 2024 season. Hartman's age is a negative when you look at ceiling but for our needs his experience, albeit college, gives him a pretty solid and high floor. I feel worst case scenario he would be a good back up. Here are the things I like from him in the Arthur Smith offense.

Hartman displays great poise and accuracy in the pocket. Will sit in and take a shot and step into the throw. Even when evading defenders always has his eyes down field and makes accurate throws on the run. Typically gets the ball out on time. Will get to his 2nd, 3rd and even 4th read in a clean pocket. Does a nice job looking off safeties and linebackers to create space for his receivers. Throws a nice accurate and easily catchable football and doesn't lead his receivers into defenders. Utilizes the middle of the field exceptionally well. His weaknesses are he does throw a nice deep ball but there's not a ton of arm there. I would not have him throw a lot of out routes and as you can see by watching the film his coaches did not ask him to do a lot of that. Going on 25 you have to question his upside at this point. Has improved his mechanics every year but there's room to improve still.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Sam Hartman 2024s Brock Purdy

As an Irish fan, I’m gonna pass. I would rate Hartman about the same as Book, Claussen and several other Irish quarterbacks in the recent past. He’s not special in any one area. He’ll be lucky to be drafted IMO.

Senior Member Array title="feltdizz has much to be proud of">

Re: Sam Hartman 2024s Brock Purdy

That dude is 100% booty juice