Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers WR Calvin Austin Burns Patrick Peterson

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Re: Steelers WR Calvin Austin Burns Patrick Peterson

[QUOTE=Dwinsgames;831850]Alexa when asked said 150 pounds and I ran with it , 170 sounded extreme from my recollection so I looked it up and got this (159 pounds) https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/trindon-holliday/

- - - Updated - - -

When I googled his height/weight he was listed at 169lbs. I'm willing to bet you could find 5 different sites with give, or take, 5-10 lbs in difference between each.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Hill is listed at 5’10” and 195LBs. I consider under 200 small for the NFL.
    did you pay attention to the drfat ? the NFL is littered with sub 200lb draft picks. especially WR"s and CB's the top CB taken ,devin witherspoon weighed in at 181lbs at 5'11.5". the 2nd CB taken in the 1st emmanual forbes weighed in at a whopping 166lbs. i'd feel more comfortable with a skinny little WR than a skinny CB. WR try to avoid contact, not expected to initiate contact. WR are tackled by DB's most of the time. so if you got small db's having small wr's aint so much a big deal.
    baltimores 1st rd pick flowers was 5'9" 182lbs and jordan addison at 5'11" only weighed in at 173lbs.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    did you pay attention to the drfat ? the NFL is littered with sub 200lb draft picks. especially WR"s and CB's the top CB taken ,devin witherspoon weighed in at 181lbs at 5'11.5". the 2nd CB taken in the 1st emmanual forbes weighed in at a whopping 166lbs. i'd feel more comfortable with a skinny little WR than a skinny CB. WR try to avoid contact, not expected to initiate contact. WR are tackled by DB's most of the time. so if you got small db's having small wr's aint so much a big deal.
    baltimores 1st rd pick flowers was 5'9" 182lbs and jordan addison at 5'11" only weighed in at 173lbs.
    I am aware of all these things

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

There’s little to no track record of success for NFL players at the sizes being discussed.

The last two draft classes are going to either redefine NFL size chars or confirm that there guys that are just too small.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    There’s little to no track record of success for NFL players at the sizes being discussed.

The last two draft classes are going to either redefine NFL size chars or confirm that there guys that are just too small.
    yep, football definitely isn't a small man's sport.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Ernest Givins -5'9"-170 ( 8 pounds difference but a bit taller )

Rondale Moore, WR – 5 feet 7 inches

Mark McMillan ...McMillian's career might not receive enough attention. Despite playing in an era in which the big-bodied wide receiver became commonplace, the 5-foot-7, 154-pound cornerback lasted eight seasons and spent most of that time as a starter. "Mighty Mouse" started 81 games for the Eagles, Saints, Chiefs, and 49ers

Stephen Baker the touchdown maker 5'8-160 helped the G-Men win the SB with a TD catch ..speaking of the Giants they seemed to love folks closer to midgets than Giants ,,, Joe Morris and Dave Megget come to mind along with Baker granted Megget and Morris had some weight on them for their short stature

Noland Smith ( no not the Linebacker drafted by the Eagles in 2023 that was Nolan Smith ) "Super Gnat," the 5-foot-5, 154-pound Smith became a return weapon in Kansas City. A sixth-round pick out of Tennessee State, Smith led the AFL in kick-return yards as a rookie in 1967. Smith's 106-yard return in 1967 remains a Chiefs record, and his career 26.1 yards per kick return ranks 26th in NFL history.

Gerald McNeil "the ice cube" McNeil notched two return TDs as a Browns rookie in 1986. McNeil seldom played receiver, with his 5-foot-7, 145-pound frame interfering, but the Ice Cube a nickname that spawned shortly after William Perry's "The Refrigerator" moniker -- made the 1987 Pro Bowl. McNeil played four Browns seasons, suiting up for three AFC title games

Jermaine Lewis 5'7-180 pound return man and WR

Richard Johnson 5'9"-175
    Johnson's best work came in the USFL, and he started for just two NFL seasons. But he thrived in the rival league and helped introduce the NFL to the Run and Shoot offense. Playing under Run and Shoot godfather Mouse Davis with the Houston Gamblers, Johnson combined for a staggering 218 catches, 2,839 yards, and 29 TDs in two seasons. His 115 grabs in 1984 set a pro football record, but the USFL folding led Johnson to a IBM as a programmer. As Lions OC in 1989, Davis summoned his 5-7 pupil. Despite nearly three years away, Johnson dropped a 1,000-yard season in '89. This included a 248-yard game against the Saints.

these are in addition to others that I already mentioned such as but not limited to Dexter McCluster ....sure they are not "common"but neither are guys like the Refrigerator Perry or Ngatta in the way he moved at his size and perhaps even Bettis feet being so quick for a man of his size ... before those guys came along anyone that fantasized about having a player with those specific skill sets at that size was a tin foil hat wearer yet they did eventually happen there are 1sts for everything after that its a who's the next " insert players name here" but there are plenty of examples of smaller guys succeeding in the league and as everyone knows SPEED KILLS and Austin has that in spades , its hard to hurt what ya cant hit or hit cleanly
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Ernest Givins -5'9"-170 ( 8 pounds difference but a bit taller )

Rondale Moore, WR – 5 feet 7 inches

Mark McMillan ...McMillian's career might not receive enough attention. Despite playing in an era in which the big-bodied wide receiver became commonplace, the 5-foot-7, 154-pound cornerback lasted eight seasons and spent most of that time as a starter. "Mighty Mouse" started 81 games for the Eagles, Saints, Chiefs, and 49ers

Stephen Baker the touchdown maker 5'8-160 helped the G-Men win the SB with a TD catch ..speaking of the Giants they seemed to love folks closer to midgets than Giants ,,, Joe Morris and Dave Megget come to mind along with Baker granted Megget and Morris had some weight on them for their short stature

Noland Smith ( no not the Linebacker drafted by the Eagles in 2023 that was Nolan Smith ) "Super Gnat," the 5-foot-5, 154-pound Smith became a return weapon in Kansas City. A sixth-round pick out of Tennessee State, Smith led the AFL in kick-return yards as a rookie in 1967. Smith's 106-yard return in 1967 remains a Chiefs record, and his career 26.1 yards per kick return ranks 26th in NFL history.

Gerald McNeil "the ice cube" McNeil notched two return TDs as a Browns rookie in 1986. McNeil seldom played receiver, with his 5-foot-7, 145-pound frame interfering, but the Ice Cube a nickname that spawned shortly after William Perry's "The Refrigerator" moniker -- made the 1987 Pro Bowl. McNeil played four Browns seasons, suiting up for three AFC title games

Jermaine Lewis 5'7-180 pound return man and WR

Richard Johnson 5'9"-175
    Johnson's best work came in the USFL, and he started for just two NFL seasons. But he thrived in the rival league and helped introduce the NFL to the Run and Shoot offense. Playing under Run and Shoot godfather Mouse Davis with the Houston Gamblers, Johnson combined for a staggering 218 catches, 2,839 yards, and 29 TDs in two seasons. His 115 grabs in 1984 set a pro football record, but the USFL folding led Johnson to a IBM as a programmer. As Lions OC in 1989, Davis summoned his 5-7 pupil. Despite nearly three years away, Johnson dropped a 1,000-yard season in '89. This included a 248-yard game against the Saints.

these are in addition to others that I already mentioned such as but not limited to Dexter McCluster ....sure they are not "common"but neither are guys like the Refrigerator Perry or Ngatta in the way he moved at his size and perhaps even Bettis feet being so quick for a man of his size ... before those guys came along anyone that fantasized about having a player with those specific skill sets at that size was a tin foil hat wearer yet they did eventually happen there are 1sts for everything after that its a who's the next " insert players name here" but there are plenty of examples of smaller guys succeeding in the league and as everyone knows SPEED KILLS and Austin has that in spades , its hard to hurt what ya cant hit or hit cleanly
    That’s almost all guys that are primarily returners or drafted way lower than the top 3 rounds.

Can a small guy have success? Sure. But the NFL has placed fairly sizeable bets that historically small players can perform extremely well based on draft slot.

It’s either going to work and we see a more serious consideration of smaller sized players or it’s going to reinforce existing biases.

I suspect that most will be viewed as “busts”. I hold more hop for Austin because of his speed and agility. But really fast Ryan Switzer still seems a bit suspect.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I am not knocking smaller players at all. There have been and still are some very good football players in the NFL with smaller build. The thing is, size really does matter in the NFL. So do many other things, we all agree.

Player specific...As a WR I think CA3 is in a good spot to make a career due to his speed, agility, quickness, and ability to catch the ball, even in traffic. The thing that concerns me more about smaller players is the grind of the season. Somewhere, sometime during the 17 game season an injury is bound to happen of some type. One thing all injuries do is make you just a bit slower. A player that is smaller and slowed is likely going to get fewer snaps. I would rather not lose that dynamic as quickly, and increasing durability is the best and easiest way to do that. In the specific case of CA3, he may not be able to strengthen enough for it to make any noticeable difference. I don't know. I do know that a right foot sprain kept him on the sidelines for his entire rookie season. If he were maybe 5'9"? and maybe 170-175? Could he have played some snaps? Again, I don't know. Just random off-season rationalizing. I am very much looking forward to seeing what CA3 can do vs live NFL action.

This is a very nice article showing what CA3 can bring to an offense. Written in May of last year it's still the latest numbers we have.
    https://steelersdepot.com/2022/05/st...ree-breakdown/

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Interesting that he was so successful in the slot. That article also said how we have been pretty terrible from the slot in recent years. I wonder if that is part of the plan with CA3? I initially thought he would mainly work the outside due to his size, but he could create some really favorable matchups from the slot and maybe this offense will finally have some explosiveness.

He's short. He's skinny. But don't get me wrong...I am very excited to see what he can bring to this offense that is in dire need of a playmaker.
    Last edited by RunNGun; 06-10-2023 at 03:40 PM.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

I'm sure he could have some niche role like hollywood brown or something. that speed is something teams have to account for
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I am not knocking smaller players at all. There have been and still are some very good football players in the NFL with smaller build. The thing is, size really does matter in the NFL. So do many other things, we all agree.

Player specific...As a WR I think CA3 is in a good spot to make a career due to his speed, agility, quickness, and ability to catch the ball, even in traffic. The thing that concerns me more about smaller players is the grind of the season. Somewhere, sometime during the 17 game season an injury is bound to happen of some type. One thing all injuries do is make you just a bit slower. A player that is smaller and slowed is likely going to get fewer snaps. I would rather not lose that dynamic as quickly, and increasing durability is the best and easiest way to do that. In the specific case of CA3, he may not be able to strengthen enough for it to make any noticeable difference. I don't know. I do know that a right foot sprain kept him on the sidelines for his entire rookie season. If he were maybe 5'9"? and maybe 170-175? Could he have played some snaps? Again, I don't know. Just random off-season rationalizing. I am very much looking forward to seeing what CA3 can do vs live NFL action.

This is a very nice article showing what CA3 can bring to an offense. Written in May of last year it's still the latest numbers we have.
    https://steelersdepot.com/2022/05/st...ree-breakdown/
    bullshit, you're a size-ist bigot !!! i'm reporting you to the DNC

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    bullshit, you're a size-ist bigot !!! i'm reporting you to the DNC
    Again?!