Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    11,060

    Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Just another offseason thread for some discussion and friendly debate.

    There have been some cant miss college players that completely failed once they reached the NFL. Jamarcus Russell is maybe the first guy that pops into my head, but he seemed like he never really tried to get better. Im looking more for players that hit the ground running, just werent good enough to last.

    Have fun with it.

  2. #2
    Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    19,359

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Tony Mandarich. Way overhyped before the draft

    Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk



  3. #3
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    47,417

    Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Bosworth is always one of the first that pops into my head. Ki-Jana Carter is another one.


  4. #4
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    11,060

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Wasn’t there recently a top10-15 DL that is no longer on a team? Or maybe with a different team but rookie contract?
    That’s gotta be disappointing.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    18,442

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Wasnt there recently a top10-15 DL that is no longer on a team? Or maybe with a different team but rookie contract?
    Thats gotta be disappointing.
    The dude the Raiders draftednot Colin Ferrell the actor but something that sounds like that?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    18,442

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Aside from QBs (too many to list) and the few mentioned already, I start thinking of recent-ish RBs like Edwards Hilaire and Trent Richardson.

    Trying to go a bit deeperand Im coming up with a line of guys from Desmond Howard to like Jabril Peppers (or something like that) that had fine to decent NFL careers but just couldnt impact the game like they did in college. Mostly the lack of NFL return game or the inability to just take the ball and score seemingly at will from anywhere on the field or for defensive guys, the takeaways just dried up.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    18,442

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Also younger MojoUW was CERTAIN Rodney Pete was going to be a superstar.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    11,060

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quick story on a player I knew from 6yrs old. 1st year this young kid was bigger than most. The league had a rule that only kids of a certain weight and below could carry the ball. Good rule since most kids were around 50LBs at 6. This kid I’m talking about was not allowed to carry the ball. If he got control, ball was dead there. 1st year he played OL and DL. He scored 12 points from the defensive side of the ball. He got 2 safeties and a strip sack with recovery for 6pts.
    2nd year he again played OL and DL. He excelled as an OT.
    Year 3 he was the 1st overall draft pick of the league due to his ability to play OT and be unblockable on DL.
    Year 4&5 he became the definition of how an OL looks and plays and won league championships mainly behind his ability.
    Year 6, now 13yrs old. Plays for his schools 8th grade team as the starting LT. Team comes just short of state.
    Year 7. The highschool varsity coaches want him to play as the varsity LT because of skill obviously, and because this kid of 14/15 is already bigger and stronger than the kid already starting at LT for the highschool varsity team.

    The kid says no. He doesn’t want to balloon to 300+ LBs and play vs guys 17&18yrs old with already 2-3years in a highschool weight room.
    The kid drops football to pursue a different sport. Wins a highschool national championship twice at that sport.

    I know this kid. I would expect him to excel at whatever sport he pursued. He has since quit competitive sports and is going after a medical degree.

    I’ll not give this kids name but I will ask that you send him your prayers and well wishes as he continues to be his best him. This kid and his family are very dear to me.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Johnny Football is near the top of the list.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucyrus, OH
    Gender
    Posts
    2,606

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Aside from QBs (too many to list) and the few mentioned already, I start thinking of recent-ish RBs like Edwards Hilaire and Trent Richardson.

    Trying to go a bit deeperand Im coming up with a line of guys from Desmond Howard to like Jabril Peppers (or something like that) that had fine to decent NFL careers but just couldnt impact the game like they did in college. Mostly the lack of NFL return game or the inability to just take the ball and score seemingly at will from anywhere on the field or for defensive guys, the takeaways just dried up.
    I always thought Peppers was severely overrated. Even in college. He was decent as a returner but that was about it. And I'm a Michigan fan.

    Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    27,938

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Tony Mandarich. Way overhyped before the draft

    Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    This pick is maybe worst that Ryan Leaf because the next 3 pick after Mandarich are HOF players....

  11. #11
    Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Treasure Coast
    Posts
    11,350

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    JaMarcus Russell who was such a bust that the NFL changed rules (better) so that 1RD picks were not such a financial gamble.

    Ryan Leaf and Limas Sweed too.
    All Defense!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    11,060

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    JaMarcus Russell who was such a bust that the NFL changed rules (better) so that 1RD picks were not such a financial gamble.

    Ryan Leaf and Limas Sweed too.
    Sweed ranks near the top. Everybody knew he was going to be a star.

    I wonder if the Leaf/Manning draft had gone the other way, would things have been different for Leaf. Maybe Manning was the guy who inspired all those teammates to be great, or maybe it was just that much better of a situation for a rookie QB. Idk???

  13. #13
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    47,417

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Wasnt there recently a top10-15 DL that is no longer on a team? Or maybe with a different team but rookie contract?
    Thats gotta be disappointing.
    Vernon Gholston? Hes one of my favoritesI knew he would be badno idea why, but I knew itlol.

    DLthat reminds me of Steve Emtman.


  14. #14
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    27,938

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Sweed ranks near the top. Everybody knew he was going to be a star.

    I wonder if the Leaf/Manning draft had gone the other way, would things have been different for Leaf. Maybe Manning was the guy who inspired all those teammates to be great, or maybe it was just that much better of a situation for a rookie QB. Idk???
    Leaf was so bad that his supporting cast did not matter in this case....The colts were also not a good team in the rookie year of Manning.3-13 for the colts in 1998 and Peyton had 28 interceptions but he improved later in his rookie year after a bad start

    - - - Updated - - -

    The biggest reason why Russell was a bust,it was because he was way too lazy!

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    18,442

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Both Leaf and Russell ended up being big addicts with significant issues. That almost certainly was the root cause of their failures.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    11,060

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Leaf was so bad that his supporting cast did not matter in this case....The colts were also not a good team in the rookie year of Manning.3-13 for the colts in 1998 and Peyton had 28 interceptions but he improved later in his rookie year after a bad start

    - - - Updated - - -

    The biggest reason why Russell was a bust,it was because he was way too lazy!
    The Colts as an organization was much better than the Chargers at that time, was more my point. Not the talent level of the QB. The Colts knew how to draft talent back then. Also maybe why they took Manning over Leaf in the first place.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Gender
    Posts
    1,649

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Sweed and Mendinghall
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

  18. #18
    Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    7,528

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Quick story on a player I knew from 6yrs old. 1st year this young kid was bigger than most. The league had a rule that only kids of a certain weight and below could carry the ball. Good rule since most kids were around 50LBs at 6. This kid I’m talking about was not allowed to carry the ball. If he got control, ball was dead there. 1st year he played OL and DL. He scored 12 points from the defensive side of the ball. He got 2 safeties and a strip sack with recovery for 6pts.
    2nd year he again played OL and DL. He excelled as an OT.
    Year 3 he was the 1st overall draft pick of the league due to his ability to play OT and be unblockable on DL.
    Year 4&5 he became the definition of how an OL looks and plays and won league championships mainly behind his ability.
    Year 6, now 13yrs old. Plays for his schools 8th grade team as the starting LT. Team comes just short of state.
    Year 7. The highschool varsity coaches want him to play as the varsity LT because of skill obviously, and because this kid of 14/15 is already bigger and stronger than the kid already starting at LT for the highschool varsity team.

    The kid says no. He doesn’t want to balloon to 300+ LBs and play vs guys 17&18yrs old with already 2-3years in a highschool weight room.
    The kid drops football to pursue a different sport. Wins a highschool national championship twice at that sport.

    I know this kid. I would expect him to excel at whatever sport he pursued. He has since quit competitive sports and is going after a medical degree.

    I’ll not give this kids name but I will ask that you send him your prayers and well wishes as he continues to be his best him. This kid and his family are very dear to me.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Johnny Football is near the top of the list.


    Great story about the kid. There are more people like that than people realize. They are so gifted physically and mentally in so many areas that they can literally do anything they set their mind to do.

    Prayers and best wishes to the kid and his family.

    The world need more people like that.

  19. #19
    Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    19,359

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    KiJana Carter.



  20. #20
    Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Massillon, Ohio
    Posts
    3,173

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The dude the Raiders drafted…not Colin Ferrell the actor but something that sounds like that?
    The guy you're thinking of is Clelin Ferrell.

    How about Robert Gallery... the can't miss LT that every team wanted. Has any team drafted more busts than the Raiders?

  21. #21
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    47,417

    Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    The guy you're thinking of is Clelin Ferrell.

    How about Robert Gallery... the can't miss LT that every team wanted. Has any team drafted more busts than the Raiders?
    Brownsmaybe the Cardinals?


  22. #22
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    27,938

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Browns…maybe the Cardinals?
    Browns is the easy answer!...The raiders are likely in the top 3 in the last 20 years too

  23. #23
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    11,060

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    https://www.sbnation.com/2018/6/27/1...owns-of-course

    This article was a fun read about teams and 1st round busts.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Gender
    Posts
    1,649

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Browns…maybe the Cardinals?
    The Bengals? In the 90s it was guaranteed whoever they drafted was going to suck
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

  25. #25
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    47,417

    Re: Which College Star Surprised You The Most When He Turned Into An NFL Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    https://www.sbnation.com/2018/6/27/1...owns-of-course

    This article was a fun read about teams and 1st round busts.
    Nice find!!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •