Thread: New kick off rule approved by Owners

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

New kick off rule approved by Owners

So, you can fair catch the kickoff now and get the ball at the 25.

Why do they even kick off anymore? If kickoffs are really that dangerous for player safety - just get rid of them completely. Put the ball on the 25 and be done with it. There are going to be even fewer returns now, because on the rare occasion that the kickoff doesn't go into the endzone, it is still likely to be inside the ten-yard line. Every coach is going to tell their returner to fair catch the ball inside the ten. This isn't college. How many times does an NFL kicker fail to get the ball inside the ten?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...e0e399d&ei=113
    Last edited by oneforthetoe; 05-23-2023 at 01:16 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: New kick off rule approved by Owners

Yea!

Stupid rule but it means Gunner can go! Toss the midget!!!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This is the way.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What if it’s a squib kick?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

should be like madden where you can skip the kickoff
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

We seem to be one of the teams that run the kickoff out of the end zone too much anyway and end up not making it to the 25, add a special teams penalty and then get to start the drive at the 10 or worse.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yea!

Stupid rule but it means Gunner can go! Toss the midget!!!
    in fairness , he should have been released last year he was demoted from the job he was signed to do ...at that point for me you are just stealing a roster spot and a paycheck
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

in fairness , he should have been released last year he was demoted from the job he was signed to do ...at that point for me you are just stealing a roster spot and a paycheck
    Pretty much.

Although watching block on the end of the line on running plays was always good for a laugh. That’s more on Canada though.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

how much more can they water the game down before its unrecognizable ?
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Lol.... it's only just started.

Apparently college does this? I’ve literally never noticed.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Right now special teams is the most dangerous play and then it wil” be something else and then something else and then something else…

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

eliminate kickers altogether . i think it's bullshit that a game can be won or lost by a single guy that had nothing to do with anything up to that point. you either go for it or punt. all extra points are from the 3 yard line and maybe make a 2 point attempt from the 10. let the 22 guys that played 60 minutes decide the outcome.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Might as well go to XFL style rules.

I guess they don't want someone like the Bills KR who lit up the field in the game after Demar Hamlin's collapse.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

pick whatever decade you think is "peak football" -- the game in its purest, most true distillation. All that means is that, at some point (unless you picked the early 1900's), there were a bunch of guys that were fans of the version of the game from 20 years before your version sitting around and worrying about how the game wasn't the same anymore.

This is the only constant thing in sports, the game changes at a fundamental level all the time. Doesn't mean it is good and it doesn't mean it is bad. It just is.

New kick off rule approved by Owners

This rule has the most potential to create more chances of injury than not having the rule. I’m not sure people thought this one through…even a little bit.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Are we really going to miss kickoffs if they totally do away with them? Just start at the 20/25 and straight to the action.

I would. It’s part of the 1/3 of the game and an exciting part of the overall game.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I would. It’s part of the 1/3 of the game and an exciting part of the overall game.
    We may differ on the definition of exciting. Watching the ball sail through the EZ 90% of the time, is not exciting to me. I can't remember how many times I have seen some KR running out of the EZ and I'm yelling at the tv for him to stay put and just take a knee, and then he gets tackled around the 15. I will not look it up nor will I try to do accurate math on this, but an exciting kick return happens about .000001% of the time. The rest of them are bonehead decisions by returners trying to make something positive happen that ultimately backfires. Right before a kickoff and right after a kickoff is reserved for commercial breaks so fans watching at home can go to the bathroom and/or grab a fresh cold one.

All that to say....I wouldn't miss kickoffs at all.

Also want to say here, if they keep the KO rules exactly the same, I’m good with that too. I really don’t care either way they decide.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 05-26-2023 at 07:40 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    eliminate kickers altogether . i think it's bullshit that a game can be won or lost by a single guy that had nothing to do with anything up to that point. you either go for it or punt. all extra points are from the 3 yard line and maybe make a 2 point attempt from the 10. let the 22 guys that played 60 minutes decide the outcome.
    make QB's learn to punt and kick - will make the fake that much more difficult to predict

seriously, though, why do we keep calling it football? I already have a hard time explaining that one to our friends from across the ocean.