Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ‘Didn’t Want To Leave Pittsburgh’: Le’Veon Bell Explains Contract Dispute, Why He Left Steelers For Jets

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Re: ‘Didn’t Want To Leave Pittsburgh’: Le’Veon Bell Explains Contract Dispute, Why He Left Steelers For Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    From all I’ve heard, Bell was a great teammate. I never heard anything about him being a cancer in the locker room. He just chose not to play when he was tagged the second time. That being said, I have no interest in having him back. All the linemen who knew how to block for him are gone.
    the last two sentences above are another big reason why he would not be effective here. He’s also older and slower (he was never fast to begin with - probably slower than Najee on his best day).

He, AB, Santonio should send send a message to the present day young guys on the team - “think twice before leaving to try to chase more money”

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: ‘Didn’t Want To Leave Pittsburgh’: Le’Veon Bell Explains Contract Dispute, Why He Left Steelers For Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    the last two sentences above are another big reason why he would not be effective here. He’s also older and slower (he was never fast to begin with - probably slower than Najee on his best day).

He, AB, Santonio should send send a message to the present day young guys on the team - “think twice before leaving to try to chase more money”
    Santonio didn’t leave to chase money and AB really wasn’t that either…that may have been one of the issues with AB but that wasn’t why he was traded. Those guys were traded out.

Bell left on his own to chase money…as did Mike Wallace, Kelvin Beachum, Emmanuel Sanders, etc.

Steelers wanted to keep Bell up until he left. Holmes and Brown they did not want to keep. The fact that Holmes is such a plus for the Steelers off the field says a lot about his maturity and character. Most of these guys would take a bitter angle…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

Holmes was never as bad a character as Bell or AB. He made the unfortunate mistake of tweeting how he was going to "wake and bake" at a time when the Steelers were already taking a shellacking over Ben's Milledgeville scandal. I never had a problem with Holmes's character, and I always thought it was stupid of Rooney/the Steelers to trade him.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Holmes was never as bad a character as Bell or AB. He made the unfortunate mistake of tweeting how he was going to "wake and bake" at a time when the Steelers were already taking a shellacking over Ben's Milledgeville scandal. I never had a problem with Holmes's character, and I always thought it was stupid of Rooney/the Steelers to trade him.
    Holmes got nailed for smoking weed, at least twice. Tough to win games when one of your star players has to sit out, because of his own stupidity. Bell only got nailed once.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Holmes got nailed for smoking weed, at least twice. Tough to win games when one of your star players has to sit out, because of his own stupidity. Bell only got nailed once.
    Bell has been suspended by the league twice....

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Twice as a Steelers?

Twice as a Steelers?
    Yes...2015(2 games) and 2016(3 games)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

‘Didn’t Want To Leave Pittsburgh’: Le’Veon Bell Explains Contract Dispute, Why He Left Steelers For Jets

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Bell wasn’t a bad character. Again, putting him with AB is just wrong. If Bell is a bad character then so is Hines Ward for wanting more money. So is Ben for being stupid. Bell got cracked for weed twice…not a big deal and held out for more money. Yes he’s stupid. Bad character as in AB…not close…

Twice as a Steelers?
    PB is right he was suspended twice. But his second suspension was suspect as he argued that it was more because the league didn't inform him in time of his testing and so he didn't hear about it and missed it. If I remember right, it was something like them informing him the night before for a very early morning test.

I'm usually pretty impatient with players doing stupid things like flouting rules with drugs. You have a short time in the league. Put the pipe down, do your work, and then pick it back up when you're done in the league if your stupid enough to do so. But I remember reading Bell's response and thinking to myself, "Yeah, he has a good point."

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I agree with my running back brothers around the NFL- history will show that you need running backs to win- we set the tone every game and run trough walls for our team and lead in many ways- this notion that we deserve less is a joke. https://t.co/rWJkGIEgmW
    — Najee Harris (@ohthatsNajee22) July 17, 2023
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Bell wasn’t a bad character. Again, putting him with AB is just wrong. If Bell is a bad character then so is Hines Ward for wanting more money. So is Ben for being stupid. Bell got cracked for weed twice…not a big deal and held out for more money. Yes he’s stupid. Bad character as in AB…not close…
    Not sure why I didn't see this when you first posted it. But I think you're absolutely right about Bell. It isn't a character issue. Personally, I'd chalk it up to (1) immaturity and (2) bad influence from his agent.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Not sure why I didn't see this when you first posted it. But I think you're absolutely right about Bell. It isn't a character issue. Personally, I'd chalk it up to (1) immaturity and (2) bad influence from his agent.
    I agree that he was never a bad teammate. There were no locker room issues and apparently he was a motivator in the huddle as well.

I think people bring up character for Bell, not because he held out or even the wisdom of his holdout, but the WAY he went about it at the time. Remember, he made it clear to his teammates and the public that he was just going to holdout for the preseason to avoid the risk of injury, but that he was going to suit up week one. Then when he didn’t that was a huge betrayal.

He didn’t have to make a claim either way if he wanted leverage. He actually lied to his teammates in private, or at least went back on his word. That is absolutely a character issue.

‘Didn’t Want To Leave Pittsburgh’: Le’Veon Bell Explains Contract Dispute, Why He Left Steelers For Jets

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I agree that he was never a bad teammate. There were no locker room issues and apparently he was a motivator in the huddle as well.

I think people bring up character for Bell, not because he held out or even the wisdom of his holdout, but the WAY he went about it at the time. Remember, he made it clear to his teammates and the public that he was just going to holdout for the preseason to avoid the risk of injury, but that he was going to suit up week one. Then when he didn’t that was a huge betrayal.

He didn’t have to make a claim either way if he wanted leverage. He actually lied to his teammates in private, or at least went back on his word. That is absolutely a character issue.
    But that’s still not on an AB level and we don’t know that this wasn’t what his agents were instructing him to do….or if he was fed some information by the agent and went about his day not knowing what was actually happening…also possible…meaning that he may not have lied as far as he knew at that time…

You can be a bad teammate or often be a big distraction even if it's not at the AB level....

You can be a bad teammate or often be a big distraction even if it's not at the AB level....
    But Bell wasn’t a bad teammate. Not even a little bit. His actions eventually were perceived as a distraction and probably were but I don’t recall any players coming out and saying it was…could’ve missed it. But even with it being a distraction, wasn’t a bad teammate and not on AB level.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...17101_39031387

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Do you think it’s the biggest botched contract negotiation/holdout of all time?

Do you think it’s the biggest botched contract negotiation/holdout of all time?
    For Bell,it was maybe neutral(except for the fact he was in a way worse team) but he was very lucky since only the Jets in 2019 had a similar offer that the steelers,so it could have been way worst for Bell

But it was still such a stupid holdout and he did reset the RB market but in the wrong direction!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

But that’s still not on an AB level and we don’t know that this wasn’t what his agents were instructing him to do….or if he was fed some information by the agent and went about his day not knowing what was actually happening…also possible…meaning that he may not have lied as far as he knew at that time…
    I agree. And I do think it shows maturity that he can admit he made a mistake. I don’t think he deserves any ill will at this point.

I don’t think he intentionally lied at the time. He probably got what he thought was new information about the merits of a hold out sometime after he made that promise to be there week one. Even if it was on bad advice or for purely strategic reasons, it’s still fair that his fans and teammates considered it a character issue to go back on your word with no warning or explanation beforehand.

My point was that it wasn’t just a run of the mill holdout like when Hines Ward did it. In fact, with Ward the character display was the exact opposite. He saw his teammates on tv playing in the preseason and called his agent to say, I don’t care about leverage. I’m going to go be with my teammates. Make the best deal you can but I’m done holding out.

It was the only time Bill Cowher got directly involved in negotiations on behalf of a player. In his mind Hines Ward showed his true character as a Steeler through and through, and deserved to be rewarded by the team.

For Bell,it was maybe neutral(except for the fact he was in a way worse team) but he was very lucky since only the Jets in 2019 had a similar offer that the steelers,so it could have been way worst for Bell

But it was still such a stupid holdout and he did reset the RB market but in the wrong direction!
    Was it neutral though? He lost $14M sitting out?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Was it neutral though? He lost $14M sitting out?

I know I wouldn't think it was neutral if I lost $14 million!

Yeah,you are both right on this....It would been unlikely that the steelers would cut Bell after the 2019 season so if he would stay with the steelers for the 2020 season,it would not been neutral or close to that!

This is a different story if the steelers would cut Bell after 2019...It would been neutral at best

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

I bet everyone around him was telling him to hold out for more and those people have moved on and he has reflected (i too tried to watch ugh just cant) wonder if ben wouldever have him on the podcast

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    I bet everyone around him was telling him to hold out for more and those people have moved on and he has reflected (i too tried to watch ugh just cant) wonder if ben wouldever have him on the podcast
    I think he might.From what I can gather, there were no hard feelings between Ben and Bell.

I think he might.From what I can gather, there were no hard feelings between Ben and Bell.
    Yeah, I doubt there are really any former teammates Ben would outright reject if they asked to come on his podcast. Even AB would probably be welcome if AB was the one to reach out to Ben.

There are probably guys where Ben wouldn’t actively pursue them, but I doubt he’d reject anyone that would make for good radio. Ben doesn’t seem the type to hold grudges at this stage in his life.

Hell AB would be top ratings!!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Yeah, I doubt there are really any former teammates Ben would outright reject if they asked to come on his podcast. Even AB would probably be welcome if AB was the one to reach out to Ben.

There are probably guys where Ben wouldn’t actively pursue them, but I doubt he’d reject anyone that would make for good radio. Ben doesn’t seem the type to hold grudges at this stage in his life.
    Mason Rudolph step right up!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Alex Kozora
    @Alex_Kozora

Le'Veon Bell returned to the Steelers' facility today. Just to say hello but he again expressed regret over leaving the team originally. #Steelers

"I was trippin’. Why didn’t y’all tell me not to leave?"

Dec 22, 2023

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/stat...5Es1_&ref_url=

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I wish he was steered in the right direction by his agent. I always liked his running style despite the lack of speed. He just knew where to go, great vision. Good blocker too.

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

Why didn't y'all tell me not to leave? WHY DIDN'T Y'ALL TELL ME NOT TO LEAVE?!?

Dumbass.

Mr. "I catch passes as well as run the ball so I want to be paid like the top RB AND the top WR."