Thread: Steelers vote against flex scheduling of Thursday Night football...

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers vote against flex scheduling of Thursday Night football...

... as well as the Bengals, Packers, Raiders, Giants and Jets. All total 8 teams voted against the measure, but it passed anyways. Kudos to the teams that voted against it. It is an unfair measure against fans. I'm usually somebody that accepts that certain things are necessary to move the business side of the game forward. However, this makes little sense to me. What Goodell is giving to Amazon he is taking away from the traditional broadcasters anyways. There are only so many good games to go around. He is clearly catering to the new broadcasters at the expense of the traditional ones.

One side note: I heard somewhere that there was speculation that the teams that opposed Goodell on this issue in the past got the most Thursday Night games as punishment for not falling in line. There is no way to prove that, but it will be interesting to see 2024's schedule. Maybe we will have our bye week the second week, then a Monday night game, followed directly by a Sunday Night and finally Thursday night game all in succession? lol.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...88d773a0&ei=25

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers vote against flex scheduling of Thursday Night football...

Jerry Jones,Goodell and many others don't care about the fans

Tom Pelissero
    @TomPelissero
    On the Thursday night flex issue, #Cowboys owner Jerry Jones agrees that fan impact is an important issue — but also points out only 7% of NFL fans have ever been in a stadium. Like Fox getting a TV package in the 90s, important to make Amazon deal work as best it can.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Jerry Jones,Goodell and many others don't care about the fans

Jerra is taking too many of his blue pills. Fox getting the games had no impact on Fans. Fox network was readily available to over the airways for free. In addition, they hired almost every who worked for CBS producing NFL games when they took over the NFC Package.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

"Traditional broadcasters" is something to tell our grandchildren about, because they'll know nothing about it. How long should the NFL wait before they jump on the streaming train? Until all the "get of my lawn" guys have passed away? It's the future and the future is now. Can we all learn from Blockbuster?

- - - Updated - - -

I watch all my games on NFL+ (fka gamepass), and have for years.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Why wouldn’t I want the only game on a given day to be a premium match-up instead of a terrible game between awful teams while the premium game is buried on a Sunday afternoon slate I can’t watch due to “regional coverage”?

As a player, I’d hate it. And would be forever against it and telling everyone how hypocritical the league is to talk about player safety and then make teams play on short weeks to maximize TV ratings.

As for the fans in the stands? In a $$$ motivated league, they don’t move the needle. TV cash dwarfs stadium revenue.

I think the entire league still made money tye year they played to empty stadiums.

DesertSteel is right. The transitional broadcast setup isn’t long for this world. No one wants it but the networks. Every NFL fan I know wants on demand streaming not network coverage of wherever they happen to live.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    "Traditional broadcasters" is something to tell our grandchildren about, because they'll know nothing about it. How long should the NFL wait before they jump on the streaming train? Until all the "get of my lawn" guys have passed away? It's the future and the future is now. Can we all learn from Blockbuster?

- - - Updated - - -

I watch all my games on NFL+ (fka gamepass), and have for years.
    My intent wasn't to stick up for the "traditional broadcasters", nor to bemoan streaming, which, as you point out, is the future. In fact, I would feel the same way if the streaming service was broadcasting Sunday games and CBS had the Thursday Night Package. I was simply trying to assert the reason (favoring the streaming services) for the NFL's poor decision here.

I still believe that it is a decision that is unfair to fans without really having the intended benefit. Moving games from Sunday afternoon to Sunday Night might be inconvenient for fans but vast majority can adjust. Even moving games to Saturday Night is probably adjustable to most fans who plan a trip. However, moving a game to Thursday absolutely blows things up for fans who make plans to go see the team. Some fans sell off some of their season tickets to other fans. Others plan trips to away stadiums months in advance. If the game you are intending to go to is moved from Sunday back to a Thursday your plans are ruined.

All this decision does is show the NFL doesn't care about those fans.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    . No one wants it but the networks. Every NFL fan I know wants on demand streaming not network coverage of wherever they happen to live.
    I guess I am a no one then ...

here is why ...

I barely watch the NFL anymore the only games I give a shit about the steelers are playing in for the most part ...

my local affiliate carry those games UNLESS its an espn game or amazon game , I have prime so Im covered there the only games I get left in a lurch are the espn games and then I am forced to find a stream ....

I prefer things as they are , its gets me the best game coverage possible without subscribing to some platform I am not already subscribed to in order to watch the games ..

why would I want it to change ???
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

i personally dont really care for thursday games tbh. didn't know what was wrong with sunday and a monday night game
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

here is why ...

I barely watch the NFL anymore the only games I give a shit about the steelers are playing in for the most part ...

my local affiliate carry those games UNLESS its an espn game or amazon game , I have prime so Im covered there the only games I get left in a lurch are the espn games and then I am forced to find a stream ....

I prefer things as they are , its gets me the best game coverage possible without subscribing to some platform I am not already subscribed to in order to watch the games ..

To be fair, everyone I know is an out of market fan. I suppose we all might feel differently if the TV ever showed a game we wanted to watch. But even my Packers buddies would like the opportunity to catch an out of market matchup rather than a blackout or another awful Bears game!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

here is why ...

The problem is, you are one of the few lucky ones who is a Steelers fan AND lives close enough to get the broadcasts. If I had to wager a bet, I'd bet that there are more out-of-market fans in the country than there are fans of their market team (in fact, I got curious. See my numbers below). That's especially true in places like where I live (Arizona). We have people from all over the country that move here. I'd imagine the same is true for many of the major cities (for different reasons).

Let's put it a different way, one estimate puts Steelersnation at over 10 million fans. As of 2020, there are only 3.4 million people living in Western Penn, and that number is shrinking. Of course, you have some W. VA. fans and some Ohio fans, but not enough to make up the other 6.5 million people of the fanbase. Which means that probably over half of the Steelers fanbase are not able to watch Steelers games unless they are nationally televised.

That's the problem.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

The biggest issue is player safety. Teams that play on Thursday's only get 4 days rest/preparation then they get 10 days off. It's just a weird day to do it. Sunday/Monday is enough leave it alone, but since it's all about the $$$ it isn't going anywhere, especially the flexing because the NFL doesn't want to schedule a 49ers/Seahawks game for the end of the season and end up with two teams that stink.