Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Brown has died at the age of 87

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Jim Brown has died at the age of 87

Jim Brown, a three-time MVP and widely regarded as one of the greatest players in NFL history, has died at the age of 87, his wife Monique confirmed in a statement on Instagram.

RIP to an all-time great.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Re: Jim Brown has died at the age of 87

It's always a sad day when one of the greats passes on. He truly was one of the best ever.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

The GOAT

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He was a great football player, but I'm not going to ignore his 30+ years of violence to women.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Jim Brown has died at the age of 87

Time to watch the Dirty Dozen. Not that I really need an excuse, but this seems appropriate.

Maybe a double feature with Ice Station Zebra.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Time to watch the Dirty Dozen. Not that I really need an excuse, but this seems appropriate.

And 'I'm Gonna Get You Sucka'.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    And 'I'm Gonna Get You Sucka'.
    I forgot that one! It’s great!

Guess I’ve got weekend plans.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I forgot that one! It’s great!

Guess I’ve got weekend plans.
    Don't forget Mars Attacks... Lol

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Any Given Sunday. He was on the A-Team too.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Been a long time I watched that . Good idea.

Maybe 100 Rifles with Raquel Welch

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

His personal issues aside, I have to consider him the greatest running back of all time. Walter and Barry are not far behind. In fact, I would say that Barry Sanders was the only guy who could have passed him as the greatest running back of all time had he not retired when he did. (Of course, Jim Brown could have dominated for more years as well.)

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

meh..my criteria for the "greatest" of all time needs to include could they have played and excelled the same in the modern or older era as they did in theirs.JIM brown's skill set was trucking defenders which back then were usually smaller and / or slower than he was. he probably wasnt far off from the size of most linemen back then. Given the size and speed of today's players, i can't see brown having the same success. jerome bettis and many of todays players would have been consistent 1600+ yd runner every season in the 50's and 60's.
    barry sanders on the other hand had a talent and skill set that would make him great in any era.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    meh..my criteria for the "greatest" of all time needs to include could they have played and excelled the same in the modern or older era as they did in theirs.JIM brown's skill set was trucking defenders which back then were usually smaller and / or slower than he was. he probably wasnt far off from the size of most linemen back then. Given the size and speed of today's players, i can't see brown having the same success. jerome bettis and many of todays players would have been consistent 1600+ yd runner every season in the 50's and 60's.
    barry sanders on the other hand had a talent and skill set that would make him great in any era.
    Sanders is number one for me.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Sweetness.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Sanders is number one for me.
    Sanders is #1 period. He would have dominated in any area. Any.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

There was a guy named Bo Jackson that was pretty impressive until his career was cut short. No telling what he would have accomplished. Not taking anything away from the others... just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    There was a guy named Bo Jackson that was pretty impressive until his career was cut short. No telling what he would have accomplished. Not taking anything away from the others... just sayin'.
    I would’ve loved to see him play just football and for a long time…he always gets forgotten because he only played 3-4 years?

I would’ve loved to see him play just football and for a long time…he always gets forgotten because he only played 3-4 years?
    He would have dominated the NFL. That combo of power and speed was unreal. Also liked watching him play baseball and break bats over his knee and climbing walls to get a sure home run.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    He would have dominated the NFL. That combo of power and speed was unreal. Also liked watching him play baseball and break bats over his knee and climbing walls to get a sure home run.

His throws from the outfield were a little bit impressive as well.

Bo was just a phenominal athlete.... the modern day Jim Thorpe.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

No doubt Bo was amazing. Probably too short of a career to be considered the Goat, but it would have been something if he would have had even a 8-year career in the NFL.

As simply a pure runner, the player I enjoyed watching was Eric Dickerson. It is like watching thoroughbred horse run at full gallop.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

I don't think anyone forgot him. Anyone who's seen him play knows the kind of athlete he was and it was something special. I just think he's never in the GOAT conversation since a big part of that equation is being able to dominate for a good amount of time.

He may have been the most talented RB who ever played (which is still debatable, Sanders' quickness was something you see once in a lifetime), but he didn't have the career that you'd call "great". A shame but many potentially great careers have been shortened by bad injuries. If we're looking at pure talent though he's easily top 3 running back of all time. Though it's hard to say who's #1 and always debatable since the top 3 all have different running styles. Bo however had a perfect combination of size and speed. You never see someone his size run as fast as him. In today's game he'd be the equivalent of Derrick Henry with Chris Johnson speed
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Sweetness.
    he fumbled a lot tho. 86 fumbles is a lot ,,, in comparison Bettis had just 41
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

I remember him fumbling often but I didn't realize he had that many

Also didn't know he had nearly 500 receptions in his career which is a lot for even a WR in that era.

I guess so. And Barry got stopped for losses a lot and his team never won anything. There’s holes in everyone’s résumé.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

My guess is if he would not have been stuck in Al Davis doghouse for 5 years the guy who would be the all time leading rusher would be Marcus Allen and he might be the GOAT IMO as Tube said about Paytons almost 500 catches in that era Allen had close to 600 without those 5 doghouse years likely close to 800 and also likely another 3500 or more yards rushing ...

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...A/AlleMa00.htm
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I guess so. And Barry got stopped for losses a lot and his team never won anything. There’s holes in everyone’s résumé.
    And long runs don't count - if I remember the Willie Parker days correctly.