Thread: How do you feel about your team as an older fan?

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

How do you feel about your team as an older fan?

I came across this post on a Raiders forum. I can say that I 100% agree with it. It is exactly how I feel, at this point, after being a fan since 1968. Do any of you feel like this about the Steelers? Any fans of other teams that visit here feel the same?

Let's be brutally honest
    I have to admit something. I am not as huge of a "Raiders fan" as I used to be. I'm wondering if other long-term fans feel the same way.

For years, decades actually, I would not miss watching a game. I "lived" when the Raiders won, and "died" a little when they lost. I started following the Raiders in 1967, watching their first Super Bowl appearance with my dad on TV and started rooting for the team. They were different. They were bad asses, which I loved. From 1967 to 2002, they were winning a lot more than they ever lost. In the 70s they were probably the winningest team in professional football. In the 80s, with two Super Bowl victories, they had dominant teams in the first half of the decade. Jim Plunkett, Marcus Allen and Howie Long were GREAT Raiders, as was Cliff Branch. In the early 2000s, they returned to dominance with Rich Gannon and Tim Brown leading the way.

And then the Raiders faded into mediocrity. Year after year of losing seasons, with an occasional winning season interspersed with all of the losing. Jamarcus Russell. Damon Arnette. Henry Ruggs. The list goes on and on. Players were paid big dollars or drafted high, but never performed. Coaching changes. Personnel changes. Things changed, but the team's prospects didn't.

They became a perennial loser. The NFL has became "corporate." Nearly every team is the same. The Raiders really don't have an identity, at least not an identity that is that much different from other teams. The Raiders don't play anyone in the Coliseum, where you got up close with players and fans. Now, the Raiders play in a fancy new stadium. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Raiders and I'm glad the Raiders finally have a stadium they can be proud of, but something has changed within me. Maybe I've grown up. Maybe I see life a little differently, but it's just not the same.

Sure, I watch the games when I can, but I am not going to shell out a couple hundred dollars for the ability to see the team play every week. Why spend so much to be disappointed so often? Besides, whether I watch or not, they will win or lose, and life goes on. Sure, I enjoy watching the games, but I don't care anymore if I watch every game like I did up until the past couple of years. I think the last jersey I bought was Derek Carr's. Most likely it was one of the all-time Raiders'. I'm not even sure if I want to shell out a couple of thousand dollars to travel to Vegas to sit in the stadium in a good seat, after I sat in the Black Hole in the Coliseum so many times.

To me, Derek Carr after his injury couldn't carry the jock strap of the all-time Raider greats who stood in the pocket, took a hit to the jaw and willed their teams to win. He played it safe. I know we've all been over this, but this is a microcosm of the NFL as a whole now. Very very few players love the game anywhere close to how much they love the money, I believe. When those of us who are a little older played football, we played purely for the love of the game. I always felt that the old-time Raiders did, too. They LOVED playing football and they LOVED playing for the Silver and Black. Of course, teams change their rosters so much anymore all you have is a few players who are with the same team each and every year. They are the "stars" getting the mega million dollar contracts. I used to know all of the players' numbers, stats, college and age. One almost needs a program anymore to know names of half the players because the roster changes season to season, even month to month so much.

What is this team's identity? It's basically become New England west. I want this team to win, I really do. But with the salary cap, the balance within the league, the NFL has got what it wanted -- a bland product in which the worst team in the league is not that much worse than the best team. Sure, there's high scoring, but where is the defense? You might see one or two teams that put a great defense on the field, but a great defense anymore typically only gets a few stops each game against even the worst teams in the league. The rules are designed so that offenses rule, defenses struggle. The only difference between one team and another is that the best teams have a couple more elite players and a few more very good players. Every team looks much like the other. Other than the uniforms and the teams' histories, is there that much difference between the Raiders and the Steelers or the Cardinals for that matter?

I'm just putting this out there, getting a few thoughts off my chest this morning.

I still love the Raiders. I still bleed a little Silver and Black. Maybe I would feel differently if they start winning again, but even then I think it will be different. Maybe fans who have been following the Raiders just a few years don't see it, but I bet anything that long-time Raider fans do. I'm wondering if you feel the same.

Thanks everyone.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

Re: How do you feel about your team as an older fan?

I have been a Steelers fan from age 7 . ( early 70s ) I live in the Syracuse NY area , dad worked 40+ yrs at the steel mill here . on the out side on the plant the emblem is the same as the Steelers emblem , so as a little kid I thought it was my dads work team . lol .

having said that football is not what it was back in the heyday . there are some small difference between the teams but not a lot .to many ticky tacky rules , player safety is a good thing . but you have to let them play . as for players playing for the love the game , yea thats gone .

one of your Raiders problems to me was the team moved like 5 times in 20 yrs .

we at the Steelers have been very lucky to have good owners and 3 Coach's in 50 yrs helps .
    this my not be what you was asking but I here what your saying .
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Many times I have heard players and coaches from different eras say they couldn’t see playing or coaching with a different team. James Harrison said he only came out of retirement because it was the Steelers that called. He said his sons told him he could un-retire for the Steelers. It truly is like family here.

The thing is, every franchise has had it’s ups and downs. I started watching the Steelers in time for the 3rd and 4th SB wins. I stayed true through the 80s and hosted my first SB party for the ‘95 loss vs the Cowboys. The Steelers were still a family through all that.

When Tomlin took over after Cowher and Bettis finally got us back on top, we enjoyed more successes and fewer losses than most. Even through the disappointment of a 2nd SB loss, and some close but no cigar years, the Steelers are still a family.

I don’t know if there is another franchise that can compare to what the Steelers are. Family. Through thick and thin we are family.

Senior Member Array title="mark0933 will become famous soon enough">
    Bully Basher Champion!

I fully believe that the fans of a specific team have been replaced by fans of specific players due to the emergence of fantasy football. Less and less people only cheer for one team. When I watch Sundays with my son, he is all over his phone watching who has made his fantasy team points, and really could give a crap about which team is doing well, etc. He says he cheers for the steelers, but in all honesty, if one of his main receivers were playing the steelers, he would be just as happy losing if his receiver had a banner day.

Us old guys (and I'm only 50) still cheer for the team first, players second but the newer generation is the other way around.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Honestly when I was a kid/teenager/younger adult, the watching the Steelers wasn't just watching a game to me, it was an identity, and I probably took being a fan way too seriously. Just about every single fight I got into in high school was over someone trashing the Steelers, and I ended up punching them in the mouth lol. I took no shit about anyone badmouthing my team, I'd literally take it like a personal insult if someone had anything to say about the Steelers. When they won, I'd be on cloud 9, if they lost, I'd be pissed for hours, days.

Lol, I don't know if it's old age, but over time (mid 20s and beyond) I started to look at the game for what it was, just entertainment. I still don't miss a game, and get excited to watch, but if it's a loss or bad performance, I just say "eh, whatever" and life goes on. I guess as I got older you realize there's much more important things to stress about in life than a game. Now I just take it for what it is. Entertainment. I do love my DVR and ability to record games. If the surf is good, I'm going surfing instead of watching the game live. Another upside of DVR is being able to fast forward commercials so in a way it's almost better
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

I'm like Duck ^ , used to never miss a game and my schedule would revolve around watching the game. Now i only watch if I don't have anything else to do. Between the rule changes and today's narcissistic criminal players, i don't like the product that much anymore. I used to always have something Steelers on me. Be it a shirt, hat, jacket, wallet, i was always representing. I haven't bought anything NFL for probably 10 years. I think I might still have an old terrible towel around somewhere, and that's it.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Honestly when I was a kid/teenager/younger adult, the watching the Steelers wasn't just watching a game to me, it was an identity, and I probably took being a fan way too seriously. Just about every single fight I got into in high school was over someone trashing the Steelers, and I ended up punching them in the mouth lol. I took no shit about anyone badmouthing my team, I'd literally take it like a personal insult if someone had anything to say about the Steelers. When they won, I'd be on cloud 9, if they lost, I'd be pissed for hours, days.

Lol, I don't know if it's old age, but over time (mid 20s and beyond) I started to look at the game for what it was, just entertainment. I still don't miss a game, and get excited to watch, but if it's a loss or bad performance, I just say "eh, whatever" and life goes on. I guess as I got older you realize there's much more important things to stress about in life than a game. Now I just take it for what it is. Entertainment. I do love my DVR and ability to record games. If the surf is good, I'm going surfing instead of watching the game live. Another upside of DVR is being able to fast forward commercials so in a way it's almost better

DVRs are awesome. If I record a game, I sometimes even fast forward between plays. If something amazing happens, I can go back and watch it over and over again or go frame-by-frame on a coach's challenge.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I still feel the same as when I was younger. Not as reactionary to negative games as I used to be and I think that’s come with age but I love it just as much as I did then…if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

LOL! You can't make this shit up! I wonder why so many long time Raiders fans feel just like I do? Sell the f***ing team Mark!!!

https://youtu.be/84sf1Nb-WYg

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I still feel the same as when I was younger. Not as reactionary to negative games as I used to be and I think that’s come with age but I love it just as much as I did then…if not more.
    This is where I’m at. Well stated.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    LOL! You can't make this shit up! I wonder why so many long time Raiders fans feel just like I do? Sell the f***ing team Mark!!!

Here’s where Khan steps in and gets a third round pick for Trubisky…

Or

You have your first owner/player in Tom Brady?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Do I need to kneel before commenting?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Do I need to kneel before commenting?
    Looks like you already are. (avatar)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

It's a sad state of affairs brother. It's hard to imagine making more bad moves without actually trying.

Fans of the Steelers should be thankful every single day that they haven't seen stuff like that in well over 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Here’s where Khan steps in and gets a third round pick for Trubisky…

Or

You have your first owner/player in Tom Brady?

Tom Brady could probably make something with Adams, Renfrow, and TE Mayer, RBs Josh Jacobs and Zamir White. Playoffs maybe.

How likely was it the Raiders would finish ahead of the chiefs and Chargers in the West this season, even with Jimmy G? Then, the North has all 4 teams probably ranked ahead of the Raiders' chances. The East has the Bills, Phins, and now the Jets all vying. Somebody will win the South. Jimmy G brings at most an outside chance for post-season play is my point. If he has season ending surgery, I don't see a huge AFC power shift. It happens, we once traded for a TE that couldn't remember his own name.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's a sad state of affairs brother. It's hard to imagine making more bad moves without actually trying.

Fans of the Steelers should be thankful every single day that they haven't seen stuff like that in well over 50 years.
    Yea.... every time I read complaints on here about your coach or owner, I just start laughing. You are fans of a great organization.... that knows what it's doing. Some of you have no clue what a lot of the other NFL fans put up with. The Raiders are, at this point, worse than the Browns as far as being incompetent and clueless about how to run a team. Ity's just pathetic how far the once proud Raiders have falle... and they just continue with the utter foolishness.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I guess we are lucky. Good ownership seems to be handed down from Dan to ArtII. While for the Raiders, Mark does not seem to have taken after Al.

I still get upset over bad games, nothing has changed.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post

I said this a while back somewhere in a thread. It's not just the Steelers either it goes for hockey and baseball (I don't watch Basketball). I grew up in Philly area but hated the Eagles so I was a Flyers/Phillies/Steelers fan (Steelers because I was a kid in the 70's when they were winning).

Through the years I got to watch every team get to finals and win. As a kid it was huge. I remember being upset and not being able to sleep when some of those teams lost in the playoffs ... fast forward to marriage, kids, work and real life and winning now is fun but the next day I'm still getting my kids ready for school, working and living. As Duck said it's all just entertainment. The more that money has driven the players and leagues the less I actually enjoy them. Now add in the social justice bullshit and I like them all even less. I remember the days when professional athletes had to work summer jobs because they weren't making millions just to play a game. The leagues and players seemed more genuine back then. But when I see idiots like Kaepernick making millions of dollars telling me he's oppressed ... F off.