Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trubisky getting extended

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Trubisky getting extended

Omar Khan himself said it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news...ract-extension

Discuss, haters.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, it could be to make Mitchell's salary more tenable to a potential trade partner, and give him a few years' job security in return - but it sounds like they're actually comfortable with him as a long-term backup.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Trubisky getting extended

This move will free up some cap space, so I expect some more moves to follow.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    This move will free up some cap space, so I expect some more moves to follow.
    Agree. Omar's not done yet

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Agree. Omar's not done yet

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Highsmith is a deal that will get done but I'm not sure a Trubisky deal is needed. Maybe the Kwon Alexander deal finally happens? I am still hoping for Kyle Van Noy.

Also on Trubisky. I'm good with him being a long term back QB here. I think this is him realizing that his days competing for a full time starting role is over. It's better to get paid well as a backup in one place then becoming a journeyman until he's out of the league, which can happen quick. Plus fwiw he's from Ohio, so being close to home is a win I assume.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Yeah. We could use an ILB and a slot corner certainly! The team likes to carry a slush fund into the season too - a Colbert thing but I imagine that will continue under Khan.

I welcome Trubisky's extension. His playstyle fits what we're doing, even if Pickett's better. They won't have to redesign the offense when the backup comes in - which is good, because I don't have faith in Canada to be quite that complex.

It makes signing Rudolph feel like a mystery though. If Trubisky was likely to stick around past this year, why not take a flyer, or get a more mobile QB who can emulate Lamar in practice?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    Yeah. We could use an ILB and a slot corner certainly! The team likes to carry a slush fund into the season too - a Colbert thing but I imagine that will continue under Khan.

I welcome Trubisky's extension. His playstyle fits what we're doing, even if Pickett's better. They won't have to redesign the offense when the backup comes in - which is good, because I don't have faith in Canada to be quite that complex.

It makes signing Rudolph feel like a mystery though. If Trubisky was likely to stick around past this year, why not take a flyer, or get a more mobile QB who can emulate Lamar in practice?
    I have no idea why they insist on having Rudolph around as the 3rd string QB. I fully realize that the idea that they reset the entire back-up slots each year is not really feasible. But why not carry a "developmental" 3rdf QB -- meaning a guy with physical traits that hold some upside....Rudolph doesn't have a single "plus" tool in his arsenal. I'd rather have a guy that can't read a defense to save his life or has poor mechanics but can throw the ball to the moon or can run faster than a car or something. Then see if you can "coach 'em up" and all that.

But....as I said in the other thread(s) -- I totally get why they are doing this. I just disagree but I also do not run an NFL team for a living.

2 year extension per Ian Rapoport

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I'm glad he won't have that cap number attached to him, but keeping my fingers crossed it's to make it easier to move him, as suggested above. That sack of shit needs to go.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I have no idea why they insist on having Rudolph around as the 3rd string QB. I fully realize that the idea that they reset the entire back-up slots each year is not really feasible. But why not carry a "developmental" 3rdf QB -- meaning a guy with physical traits that hold some upside....Rudolph doesn't have a single "plus" tool in his arsenal. I'd rather have a guy that can't read a defense to save his life or has poor mechanics but can throw the ball to the moon or can run faster than a car or something. Then see if you can "coach 'em up" and all that.

But....as I said in the other thread(s) -- I totally get why they are doing this. I just disagree but I also do not run an NFL team for a living.

I agree with your take. I understand wanting a known quantity, but if you get to the third option at quarterback, you are almost certainly in full stick-the-fork-in-them mode. I would rather see an inexperienced player with some real physical traits and high upside and strive for striking gold.

It seems especially strange when they are looking at Trubisky as a long-term backup.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

So,maybe it will end the Trubisky is not happy to be a backup QB in Pittsburgh!

- - - Updated - - -

I understand your arguments, but it's not fun to have a QB that you have zero chance to win....It happens sometimes in the Roethlisberger era that the steelers used 3 different QBs in a season (2005,2010 ,2012,2015 and 2019)....I could make an argument that if in 2005 the steelers had Brian St-Pierre as QB instead of Charlie Batch as 3rd QB, the steelers would have missed the playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I agree with your take. I understand wanting a known quantity, but if you get to the third option at quarterback, you are almost certainly in full stick-the-fork-in-them mode. I would rather see an inexperienced player with some real physical traits and high upside and strive for striking gold.

It seems especially strange when they are looking at Trubisky as a long-term backup.
    I guess I can see it both ways. We won't be complaining if both Pickett and Trubisky go down, and Mason saves the season by going 2-0 or something like that. A game manage who knows what he's doing and has shown occasional promise, is maybe better than "lol we're screwed but at least this guy can moonball."

But you can't really go into a season expecting QB3 to get significant time either, and that's where it's tempting to have an athletic guy who can emulate division rivals in practice, and you never know, maybe you accidentally discovered the next Mark Brunell in the process. If you're going to play around, QB3 would be the spot to do it with. I can see the argument for both sides.

I do think Mason would've been a nice backup for Jordan Love though.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Wait a minute! Gerry Dulac was wrong again?! Can't be...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It's so embarrassing at this point

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I guess he was willing to renegotiate once Mason re-signed and realized how close that gap is backup-wise. Now I think there may be less chance MR sticks around.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    It's so embarrassing at this point
    The Pittsburgh media is garbage.

Senior Member Array title="FordFairLane is a jewel in the rough">

I am totally confused by this move. I get wanting to lower this years cap hit but next year it will bite you in the butt. I just don't see anything special in Mitch so unless he took a straight up cut in pay I don't like it.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Trubisky getting extended

I agree. I’d actually prefer they just go with two QBs and sign Rudolph later if Pickett gets injured…or a developmental guy. No reason for 3QBs at this stage. That would be a valuable roster spot.

It’s a good move to get a veteran QB and lower his cap number. Makes all the sense in the world to have him as a back up with a lower cap number. What sucks is they still have Canada as an OC…lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Somehow, I don't think Mitch has given up on being a starter. Obviously, he should recognize that the "boat has sailed" on that reality. However, I wonder what his thinking is? He should be getting money upfront with a new signing bonus. Money is, of course, an incentive all its own. Maybe, in connection with the extra cash, he thinks the Steelers will release him next year anyways? Or, after seeing what happened with Rudolph's market value, maybe he feels that this is temporarily the best place for him. Since he is likely to see some playing time, unless Kenny become indestructible, Mitch might feel if he can put some good film out there in a limited role he can get a chance somewhere else.

No matter. I think Mitch is a good teammate and among the best back-ups in the league. He can run the same offense as Kenny (not as well). My only objection to his roster spot was his cap hit. Now that his said cap hit is no longer an issue, I'm good.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

MT likely thinks there's a 50/50 chance that either KP flops or gets injured. So he sees it as an in back into a starting role.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

MT likely thinks there's a 50/50 chance that either KP flops or gets injured. So he sees it as an in back into a starting role.
    Maybe. I’m thinking he just watched Maulet and Witherspoon not get extended and cut. With MR signing, the incentive is to sign the extension if you want a role here. Mitch signed it, so now I think it puts MR back on the hot seat.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think all back up QBs think that.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

He is so consistently wrong that he has to be a double agent pretending to be a Steelers insider to give us all the correct information before anyone else gets it, but actually works with the team to put out misinformation to confuse and frustrate other teams trying to anticipate their moves.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    The Pittsburgh media is garbage.
    yeah,when Mark Kaboly is the best steelers reporter......

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

any numbers yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    any numbers yet?
    I put them in the backup qb thread...

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    He is so consistently wrong that he has to be a double agent pretending to be a Steelers insider to give us all the correct information before anyone else gets it, but actually works with the team to put out misinformation to confuse and frustrate other teams trying to anticipate their moves.
    It's just that he speaks in such absolutes. Like the guy is says, "Trust me, this is going to happen." He never owns anything when he gets called on it in his chats. If Pickett wins MVP next year he'll never admit he was wrong when he said the Steelers shouldn't have drafted him.

It's just that he speaks in such absolutes. Like the guy is says, "Trust me, this is going to happen." He never owns anything when he gets called on it in his chats. If Pickett wins MVP next year he'll never admit he was wrong when he said the Steelers shouldn't have drafted him.

I know. He is always making big statements yet never owns up to being wrong about anything. Making big predictions and breaking news is the way to get clicks in today's world. It's not about being right...particularly with Dulac.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

If you do call him out on twitter he blocks you like the baby that he is. He needs to retire 3 years ago.

I thought you guys were talking about someone around here…

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Why do you guys read or listen to his stuff?

I don’t even know what outlet he works for and I’ve never sought out his stuff and don’t see it except when it pops up here or is referred to on another Steelers site.

I don’t feel like I miss news or updates by not seeing Dulac’s nonsense.

There’s so much stuff out there. Just ignore the bad stuff and try and find the not-terrible stuff.

If you can stomach paying for it, the ATHLETIC does a not painfully bad job of covering the Steelers and NFL overall.

Find a fantasy sports focused site you don’t hate, and you’ll get every injury, speculation on roster moves, and depth chart update you could ever want.

There are dozens of blogs that aggregate Steelers news and content and most toss in their own 2 cents. Find one that doesn’t raise your blood pressure.

Then just stop accessing content from the major sports TV outlets. Don’t read what’s left of SI. Check out Clorox Report if you want some laughs. And stay off sports talk radio.

Your mileage may vary, but it’s made my enjoyment of both the Steelers and NFL go way up and my angry hate reading disappear.