Thread: Analysis Of Steelers’ Offense Shows Low Playaction Rate, High Percentage Of Stacked Box Runs

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Analysis Of Steelers’ Offense Shows Low Playaction Rate, High Percentage Of Stacked Box Runs

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/05/an...medium=twitter

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Analysis Of Steelers’ Offense Shows Low Playaction Rate, High Percentage Of Stacked Box Runs

Pretty much confirms everything we’ve been saying as a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Analysis Of Steelers’ Offense Shows Low Playaction Rate, High Percentage Of Stacked Box Runs

as 86Ward said we already knew this based on perception from watching the games , I guess this is just confirmation that we are not all nuts
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

"We runnin that *** into stacked boxes."

Wait, isn't that what everyone's been clamoring for? That's classical three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust, pound the rock and enforce your will play calling. Well . . . it would be if they did it out of the I formation or offset I. Running that out of a single-back formation is mind-blowing stupid. No one's being fooled. Bring in the other block if we're going to play that kind of style.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

Wait, isn't that what everyone's been clamoring for? That's classical three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust, pound the rock and enforce your will play calling. Well . . . it would be if they did it out of the I formation or offset I. Running that out of a single-back formation is mind-blowing stupid. No one's being fooled. Bring in the other block if we're going to play that kind of style.
    that and having one of the shittiest Olines in the league.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Maybe some people want that, but I don't. I want an offense that can run and pass while being unpredictable at times to take advantage of what defenses are attempting to do to them.

It would still work much better if there were more formation variations, more motion, and more play action. Canada hasn't shown an ability to consistently call plays to set up the next play or future plays. It is one of the prerequisites of the job of being an NFL OC. The whole point is to keep the defense guessing so they can't fully commit to stopping either a run or a pass play consistently. Sure, everyone wants to have the ability to just line up and ram the ball down someone's throats on short yardage even when they know it's coming....but it is hard to make a living doing that as an every down strategy because if a defense knows what is coming, they can sell out with more defenders than you have blockers to stop the play. That's why deception, disguise, and running multiple plays out of the same formations is key in any offense.

Canada has much to improve on this season. He made some strides last year as the season went on, but was brutal for much of the year.

I'm hoping that he is able to make that leap schematically and from a play calling standpoint using the new toys he was given to play with. We shall see what he does with them.

That's a big minority....We all know the NFL has changed a long time ago.....Btw, even in the Cowherball back in 2004 and 2005, I had no problem being a big running team since the steelers were one of the best for the big passing play.... It was not the case last year, even in the second half since the steelers were one of the worst for the big play in the passing game.. ...When you run the ball so often, you need to hit big passing play on occasion, which the Steelers were able to do when Ben was the QB in 2004 and 2005 and unable last year

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Great point.

I heard a set of stats the other day about last year’s Eagles team. They were really good at running the ball and did it a lot. But the also hit some ridiculous number of explosive passing plays.

I think that’s the formula with a developing Qb. Consistent run game with BIG pass plays. Not Canada 4 yard passes to stationary targets.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

that's always been the case when starting a rookie QB. Defenses will take away the run and force the kid to beat you, until he proves he can do it time and time again.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Maybe some people want that, but I don't. I want an offense that can run and pass while being unpredictable at times to take advantage of what defenses are attempting to do to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    That's a big minority....
    Me thinks the sarcasm font wasn't on.

I'm all for running the ball right now, especially with the new guys we have and with a second-year QB. What I'm not for is running the ball with single back when the box is stacked, which is what happened way too often last year.

I'm all for running the ball right now, especially with the new guys we have and with a second-year QB. What I'm not for is running the ball with single back when the box is stacked, which is what happened way too often last year.
    I have no problem to be a running team but you also need big pass play like in the post 8 said....

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I also have no issues with running the ball, but the issue is our War route trees are terrible, Crapnada doesn’t know what a pick play is nor does he design for mid level throws.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I also have no issues with running the ball, but the issue is our War route trees are terrible, Crapnada doesn’t know what a pick play is nor does he design for mid level throws.
    Yeah,the mid levels throws don't exist in this offense!....Or to put our WRs in good position to have some yards after the catch!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I got the sarcasm.

I understand you were speaking to others who long for the days of old. I just ran with it and gave some examples of what I believe they need to improve and adjust in the current system.