Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mason Rudolph Returning

Senior Member Array title="FordFairLane is a jewel in the rough">

Mason Rudolph Returning

Steelers' Mason Rudolph returning for sixth season after testing 2023 free agency, per report - CBSSports.com

Bit of a shocker as I assumed he would try to find a backup spot with an opportunity to start if an injury occurred. Rams and Packers are crazy light at QB. I guess we will have a deep QB room this year again.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Mason Rudolph Returning

Ok, didn't expect that.

Now can we get rid of Trubisky? I know Rudolph is no better, but they're just two guys who suck in different ways and we don't need both. Especially when one is costing as much as a decent player at other positions.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Ok, didn't expect that.

Now can we get rid of Trubisky? I know Rudolph is no better, but they're just two guys who suck in different ways and we don't need both. Especially when one is costing as much as a decent player at other positions.
    Rudolph is better in the fact that he knows his place, has been a good teammate, he won't blow games for you, and he costs far less money.

Trubisky stinks and he believes he's a starting-caliber NFL QB.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Another article that's only quoting Poni's tweet.

I'll believe he's been signed when it comes from another source. Fittipaldo reported that he was only coming for a visit today. We'll see whether a signing ensues.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    Another article that's only quoting Poni's tweet.

I'll believe he's been signed when it comes from another source. Fittipaldo reported that he was only coming for a visit today. We'll see whether a signing ensues.
    Nah-uh! I saw it on the internet and twitter. The headlines said it was happening so clearly the internet wouldn't be wrong. No way that the real-world situation and the story content would be different than the headline and tweet.

Some people...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ok, didn't expect that.

Why? Trubisky is one of the better backups out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Why? Trubisky is one of the better backups out there.
    What does he throw for, a buck twenty-five a game and we score 10 points? Rudolph can do that and we don't have to pay $8 million for it.

Plus the way Trubisky's horrible stint as the starter singlehandedly cost us the playoffs is the kind of thing that should just get you kicked off the team at the soonest reasonable opportunity, no questions asked. Some dumbass team might even be foolish enough to trade us something for him, although I doubt it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Mason Rudolph Returning

What does he throw for, a buck twenty-five a game and we score 10 points? Rudolph can do that and we don't have to pay $8 million for it.

Plus the way Trubisky's horrible stint as the starter singlehandedly cost us the playoffs is the kind of thing that should just get you kicked off the team at the soonest reasonable opportunity, no questions asked. Some dumbass team might even be foolish enough to trade us something for him, although I doubt it.
    He brings much more to the table than Rudolph. Lol. Much more. Again, one of the better back up QBs in the league.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

So much denial in this thread. He's back. Virtually every sports news outlet is reporting it as fact. Credit is always given to who reports it first. It's still a fact.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    So much denial in this thread. He's back. Virtually every sports news outlet is reporting it as fact. Credit is always given to who reports it first. It's still a fact.
    You are almost certainly correct.

But each and every instance of the report I’ve seen is referenced to the Filipino tweet. It isn’t as if anyone has independently verified anything.

Rudolph is almost certainly resigning but, right now, it’s all built on the “reporting” of a noted liar and blowhard. Skeptical responses are not entirely unreasonable.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

I wouldn’t be in denial anyway. I’d like to have him.

But right now it’s just a bunch of reporting based on Poni speculation. I’ll buy it when there’s an additional source.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

3rd string. hopefully he never sees the field again
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Unless the Steelers have announced it, it’s kinda not official.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Unless the Steelers have announced it,it’s kinda not official.
    It is now!

https://www.steelers.com/news/barcoo-butler-and-rudolph-signed

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

So he competes for the 3rd string job vs Tanner Morgan in camp.

Still is amusing that there are 31 other teams where he could not find a better opportunity at QB, but some Steeler fans still think that Rudolph "just needs to be given a fair chance".

Now that it's official, here are some thoughts.

-I don't think Trubisky is going anywhere... yet. The Steelers usually carry 3 QBs. And they're going to want 4-5 camp arms. Cutting him saves about $8mm (the rest of his salary would be dead cap). You're not going to find someone better, for under that amount of cash, at this juncture.

We may see a competition in camp to see who, between Mitchell and Mason, is going to settle in as our long term primary backup. I hate to say it but I think what we're building around Pickett might fit better with Mitchell's playstyle. But let's see. They also may already have a very strong idea of what they're going to do here.

There's a possibility we bring all three QBs into the season and wait to see if any teams out there have their starter injured (or suck ass) before the Trade Deadline. That may bring about the zenith of Trubisky's trade value. It's probably the only scenario in which Mitchell gets one more chance to prove himself, so I think it would create an amicable parting. And if nothing like that comes about, we'll finish the season with nice QB depth. It's not really a bad problem to have.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Now that it's official, here are some thoughts.

-I don't think Trubisky is going anywhere... yet. The Steelers usually carry 3 QBs. And they're going to want 4-5 camp arms. Cutting him saves about $8mm (the rest of his salary would be dead cap). You're not going to find someone better, for under that amount of cash, at this juncture.

We may see a competition in camp to see who, between Mitchell and Mason, is going to settle in as our long term primary backup. I hate to say it but I think what we're building around Pickett might fit better with Mitchell's playstyle. But let's see. They also may already have a very strong idea of what they're going to do here.

There's a possibility we bring all three QBs into the season and wait to see if any teams out there have their starter injured (or suck ass) before the Trade Deadline. That may bring about the zenith of Trubisky's trade value. It's probably the only scenario in which Mitchell gets one more chance to prove himself, so I think it would create an amicable parting. And if nothing like that comes about, we'll finish the season with nice QB depth. It's not really a bad problem to have.
    I think they do, and I agree it's not a bad problem to have.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If you are someone who thinks the backup should bring something to the table, and you like Mason over Mitch, what exactly does Mason bring? Do any of the rookies bring any more or any less?

These questions are not as leading as they appear. I could not care less who the backup is. I’m just wondering what makes the difference for those that do care. Just want new blood, just like one guy over the other for personal reasons, cheaper is better, etc…?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    If you are someone who thinks the backup should bring something to the table, and you like Mason over Mitch, what exactly does Mason bring? Do any of the rookies bring any more or any less?

These questions are not as leading as they appear. I could not care less who the backup is. I’m just wondering what makes the difference for those that do care. Just want new blood, just like one guy over the other for personal reasons, cheaper is better, etc…?
    if your contingency plan has to play without reps 90% of the league is likely screwed and if you are a fringe playoff team and your starter goes down for more than the current game you likely are no longer a playoff team ...

for me based on our division and the AFC in totality .... we are a fringe playoff team at best so given that and and considering the above .... who the backup qb is does not matter because the margin of error is already minuscule at best so I personally would rather spend more $$ to upgrade another spot that increases my chances of victory week in week out than a guy whom you hope and pray never see's the field ....

now if I thought we were a 11+ win team even with the backup playing a few game stretch I would then proceed differently but I do not see it that way so give me that extra edge rusher that can/will see the field or that corner or nose tackle or whomever that makes this team stronger on an every week basis and get a qb off the trash heap to be the backup and 3rd string guy for league min
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

if your contingency plan has to play without reps 90% of the league is likely screwed and if you are a fringe playoff team and your starter goes down for more than the current game you likely are no longer a playoff team ...

for me based on our division and the AFC in totality .... we are a fringe playoff team at best so given that and and considering the above .... who the backup qb is does not matter because the margin of error is already minuscule at best so I personally would rather spend more $$ to upgrade another spot that increases my chances of victory week in week out than a guy whom you hope and pray never see's the field ....

now if I thought we were a 11+ win team even with the backup playing a few game stretch I would then proceed differently but I do not see it that way so give me that extra edge rusher that can/will see the field or that corner or nose tackle or whomever that makes this team stronger on an every week basis and get a qb off the trash heap to be the backup and 3rd string guy for league min
    Is there some sort of "Post: Hall of Fame"? Platinum Post Award? This post should be there! It is absolutely on f'n point!

He brings much more to the table than Rudolph. Lol. Much more. Again, one of the better back up QBs in the league.
    What I saw was that he lost a lot of games and looked bad doing it. I must have missed that one time when he showcased all these amazing talents that he brings to the table.

If you can be one of the better backup QBs in the league and still be a bad quarterback, then I just don't see the point of spending a lot of money on the position. I don't see the point of knowingly having a bad player on your team at all.

Then again, I don't see the point of knowingly having a bad coordinator on the team, but we seem to have a ... unique ... way of dealing with people who clearly aren't getting the job done.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

What I saw was that he lost a lot of games and looked bad doing it. I must have missed that one time when he showcased all these amazing talents that he brings to the table.

If you can be one of the better backup QBs in the league and still be a bad quarterback, then I just don't see the point of spending a lot of money on the position. I don't see the point of knowingly having a bad player on your team at all.

Then again, I don't see the point of knowingly having a bad coordinator on the team, but we seem to have a ... unique ... way of dealing with people who clearly aren't getting the job done.
    As Backup Mitch has played 3 games for us....He has been great vs Bucs,bad vs ravens and good vs Panthers.So this is a good backup overall.A team can win some game with Mitch..You ask way too much for a backup QB

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Mason is a capable backup. Not starter.

With Rudolph on the roster, if there are injuries to QBs and some team is looking for a starter … trading them Mitch for a good draft pick may be what Khan might be thinking. Mitch wants to start and will be eager for another chance

Mason Rudolph Returning

He’s 31-24 as a starter. Lol. That’s better than what you look for out of a back up QB.

As for the bad players, the Steelers and every team knowingly have “bad players”. Lol.

Who is better than Trubisky that is out there? Matt Ryan? . The only downside to Trubisky is his salary and that’s on Colbert not Trubisky.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    As Backup Mitch has played 3 games for us....He has been great vs Bucs,bad vs ravens and good vs Panthers.So this is a good backup overall.A team can win some game with Mitch..You ask way too much for a backup QB
    If Mitch was “great” vs the Buccs, then he was the exact opposite of great vs the Ravens. It’s those games that separate things for me. Rudolph vs the Lions is another example. It’s not that these guys can’t play a good game here or there. It’s I never want to see that level of bad again. I don’t care who the backup is eventually. But I have zero confidence in either of those 2 QBs.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

If Mitch was “great” vs the Buccs, then he was the exact opposite of great vs the Ravens. It’s those games that separate things for me. Rudolph vs the Lions is another example. It’s not that these guys can’t play a good game here or there. It’s I never want to see that level of bad again. I don’t care who the backup is eventually. But I have zero confidence in either of those 2 QBs.
    How many backup QB better that Mitch in this league?

I don’t know the answer to that question. You don’t know the answer either. Everyone has bad games and that will always be true. IF Mitch remains QB2 for the foreseeable future I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. My point is the way he played vs the Ravens cannot happen again. That was unacceptable. That level of bad cannot be allowed to continue to happen even from the backup. Even in a Matt Canada offense.

I don’t know the answer to that question. You don’t know the answer either. Everyone has bad games and that will always be true. IF Mitch remains QB2 for the foreseeable future I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. My point is the way he played vs the Ravens cannot happen again. That was unacceptable. That level of bad cannot be allowed to continue to happen even from the backup. Even in a Matt Canada offense.
    Najee got 33 rushing yards and Warren 11. Yeah it was a bad game for Mitchell but it was a terrible game for Canada and the O-line. The O-line should be much better. Not really a Trubisky defender but those were also some exigent circumstances. He won't be that bad on a consistent basis. He's fine as a backup.

Personally, I hate the way the Steelers approach the back-up QB position. But, I get it. They value stability and security at the position.

Me? I would be turning over the position...particularly the #3 spot annually. Searching for the next random discovery and overlooked talent.

I have no interest in Trubisky or Rudolph. We know what they are. I would be bringing in all the UDFA, XFL, and USFL guys I could lay my hands on in an attempt to find someone with some upside.

Najee got 33 rushing yards and Warren 11. Yeah it was a bad game for Mitchell but it was a terrible game for Canada and the O-line. The O-line should be much better. Not really a Trubisky defender but those were also some exigent circumstances. He won't be that bad on a consistent basis. He's fine as a backup.
    I don't know. I would agree he's fine as a emergency backup in game. But to start a game with him is not good. It's like there are two different Mitches. Mitch "Oh crap, gotta go in and throw the ball, no time to think" Trubisky is a good backup. Mitch "I'm starting this week" Trubisky sucks regardless of whether he's a true starter or a backup.