Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mason Rudolph Returning

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Mason Rudolph Returning

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    Najee got 33 rushing yards and Warren 11. Yeah it was a bad game for Mitchell but it was a terrible game for Canada and the O-line. The O-line should be much better. Not really a Trubisky defender but those were also some exigent circumstances. He won't be that bad on a consistent basis. He's fine as a backup.

This

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Najee got 33 rushing yards and Warren 11. Yeah it was a bad game for Mitchell but it was a terrible game for Canada and the O-line. The O-line should be much better. Not really a Trubisky defender but those were also some exigent circumstances. He won't be that bad on a consistent basis. He's fine as a backup.
    Again, my point is that level of bad cannot be allowed to continue. Even from a backup. Even in a Matt Canada offense. When Mitch or Rudolph come in in backup QB fashion and make things worse, that's when I want them replaced. I did not want Mason back. I wanted Landry Jones gone years before he was replaced. I'm willing to give Mitch 1 season as the primary backup to be just that, the backup. But if he cannot even do that well, I don't want him back.

These guys could be better than every single other backup QB in the NFL and we have them both. But, if the Ravens game or Lions game performance shows up again, I won't care. That means nothing.

I honestly hope, today, one of the camp arms finds a role in the QB room. KP, Mitch, camp arm QB.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I honestly hope, today, one of the camp arms finds a role in the QB room. KP, Mitch, camp arm QB.
    Right now your camp arms are Mason Rudolph and Tanner Morgan. They didn't sign either of the tryout guys. It's possible we grab another guy once teams start making their cuts. It'll be an interesting time for sure.

I don't mind Rudolph so much. He rightly won us that Lions game but he had two GWG fumbled away. He seemed to be developing nicely before his ol' hit in the head. Maybe he's moved past it. I also don't mind replacing Rudolph but it's unlikely now that they've signed him again. Let's see whether either Mitchell or Mason can show us anything good then, behind a much improved Offensive Line. At the very least, the team took OL and blocking very seriously this offseason. Even got us a big nasty blocking TE.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He’s 31-24 as a starter. Lol. That’s better than what you look for out of a back up QB.

As for the bad players, the Steelers and every team knowingly have “bad players”. Lol.

Who is better than Trubisky that is out there? Matt Ryan? . The only downside to Trubisky is his salary and that’s on Colbert not Trubisky.
    Ah yes, the stunning trifecta of "Nobody's any good, who else are we going to get, it's not his fault." How can anyone argue with that?

There was a list of QBs entering free agency and there were like 8 or 10 I would've rather had than Trubisky, and most would've been (far) cheaper. You can dig through my post history for it if you want. There were a ton of better options and if your argument is really "who else could we get," then you're just a dunce.

The $8 million may not be "his fault," but guess what, that's what the number is and it doesn't really matter whose fault it is. The player isn't worth what he's costing, you let him go. Although I don't think I'd want him at any price.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El Kabong has much to be proud of">

Would it be fair to say that Mitch gives us higher highs but also lower lows than Mason while Mason gives us consistent mediocrity? As if so, which would we rather have?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If Mitch was “great” vs the Buccs, then he was the exact opposite of great vs the Ravens. It’s those games that separate things for me. Rudolph vs the Lions is another example. It’s not that these guys can’t play a good game here or there. It’s I never want to see that level of bad again. I don’t care who the backup is eventually. But I have zero confidence in either of those 2 QBs.
    But that’s kind of what a back up QB is. The rule of thumb is that you want your back up QB to go .500 until the starter is back. What you described is pretty much just that. Most NFL teams are dead in the water anyway if their starter is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Personally, I hate the way the Steelers approach the back-up QB position. But, I get it. They value stability and security at the position.

Me? I would be turning over the position...particularly the #3 spot annually. Searching for the next random discovery and overlooked talent.

I have no interest in Trubisky or Rudolph. We know what they are. I would be bringing in all the UDFA, XFL, and USFL guys I could lay my hands on in an attempt to find someone with some upside.
    This is the first time in a long time that they even have a backup QB that has starter experience. I remember when people were begging for Zach Mettenberger…now they have a “veteran” with “experience” and that’s not good enough.

Trubisky is far and away a better QB than Landry Jones, Mason Rudolph, Duck Hodges, Josh Dobbs, Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch. That’s a ragtag list. Batch could barely throw the ball at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Ah yes, the stunning trifecta of "Nobody's any good, who else are we going to get, it's not his fault." How can anyone argue with that?

There was a list of QBs entering free agency and there were like 8 or 10 I would've rather had than Trubisky, and most would've been (far) cheaper. You can dig through my post history for it if you want. There were a ton of better options and if your argument is really "who else could we get," then you're just a dunce.

The $8 million may not be "his fault," but guess what, that's what the number is and it doesn't really matter whose fault it is. The player isn't worth what he's costing, you let him go. Although I don't think I'd want him at any price.
    Name the QBs who are going to come to Pittsburgh to replace Trubisky. The dunce is that you say there is a list but you can’t list them? Lol. Trubisky is basically the definition of back up QB. It’s really not that hard to see it. It’s what he’s always been.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Trubisky is far and away a better QB than Landry Jones, Mason Rudolph, Duck Hodges, Josh Dobbs, Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch. That’s a ragtag list. Batch could barely throw the ball at one point.
    We revere Batch but a lot of my teenage memories of him are things like... looking like superman one drive, then throwing a boneheaded pick the next. I get the viewpoint of wanting to cut Mitchell's salary and get someone cheaper/better. I just think that Mitch is better than people give him credit for, and his playstyle probably fits what we're doing better than Mason does.

My thinking is that Trubisky probably made it clear that he'll show up without complaining, but it'll also be his last year here. That would make this all make sense to me. He's a better QB right now than Mason, so you want him as your backup, but this is the last time you get that, so we want to see if Mason can turn into that long term backup. Next year we'll do more of what Mojo wants, have Mason as the tentative 2 and throw darts to get your #3 guy.

We revere Batch but a lot of my teenage memories of him are things like... looking like superman one drive, then throwing a boneheaded pick the next. I get the viewpoint of wanting to cut Mitchell's salary and get someone cheaper/better. I just think that Mitch is better than people give him credit for, and his playstyle probably fits what we're doing better than Mason does.

My thinking is that Trubisky probably made it clear that he'll show up without complaining, but it'll also be his last year here. That would make this all make sense to me. He's a better QB right now than Mason, so you want him as your backup, but this is the last time you get that, so we want to see if Mason can turn into that long term backup. Next year we'll do more of what Mojo wants, have Mason as the tentative 2 and throw darts to get your #3 guy.
    Agree. The thing that made Batch valuable was his brain and his ability to work with Ben. I loved having Batch as the third guy just because of that.

Trubisky is what he is and I too think he’s here for the season and gone. He was paid somewhere in between starter and back up as an insurance policy in case the Steelers couldn’t get Pickett as a starter and I think the initial plan was for Trubisky to start 2022…however, that clearly didn’t work and Pickett grabbed the spot and now he’s an overpaid backup which the team seems fine with. It’s not like he’s taking up money that they can’t sign anyone else with. They aren’t missing out on players because of his salary. I’d prefer a fresh QB room for Pickett after this season.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

My hope is that Kenny plays 16 games (takes 17 off as the bye is clinched) and we really don’t have to worry about QB2 or QB3.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This is the first time in a long time that they even have a backup QB that has starter experience. I remember when people were begging for Zach Mettenberger…now they have a “veteran” with “experience” and that’s not good enough.

I don't disagree. But, and this is only in my NFL GM fever dreams, would turn in my cards on my QB 2 and QB 3 almost every year and draw two more.

You might get two worse ones, you might break even, but you MIGHT find someone who can actually play a bit. Why not? This isn't a SB caliber team that you need to have the back-up QB locked down so that the rest of the stars can drive the bus while the starter recovers.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    My hope is that Kenny plays 16 games (takes 17 off as the bye is clinched) and we really don’t have to worry about QB2 or QB3.
    Lol. I think that’s the best case for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I don't disagree. But, and this is only in my NFL GM fever dreams, would turn in my cards on my QB 2 and QB 3 almost every year and draw two more.

You might get two worse ones, you might break even, but you MIGHT find someone who can actually play a bit. Why not? This isn't a SB caliber team that you need to have the back-up QB locked down so that the rest of the stars can drive the bus while the starter recovers.
    I kinda would prefer the same but not sure that’s a feasible scenario and really the only way to test it is to hope your starter gets injured every year.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I kinda would prefer the same but not sure that’s a feasible scenario and really the only way to test it is to hope your starter gets injured every year.
    Likely true. It’s an untestable idea that likely sounds better as a fan theory than in the reality of the actual NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    yeah, if backup QB's or Canada are not a hot topic of discussion, probably means we're having a good season

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

If Mitch was “great” vs the Buccs, then he was the exact opposite of great vs the Ravens. It’s those games that separate things for me. Rudolph vs the Lions is another example. It’s not that these guys can’t play a good game here or there. It’s I never want to see that level of bad again. I don’t care who the backup is eventually. But I have zero confidence in either of those 2 QBs.
    see that is where expectation is flawed , I get it nobody wants to see a game where the qb turns the ball over 3 times and the team loses a very winnable game, we are used to seeing Ben in his heyday toss 5 TDs and its glorious to recall I get it ...

what those glorious moments do for us is help over shadow the fact that week 8 in 2006 Big Ben tosses not 1 but 2 pick six's in a 20-13 loss to the Raiders ( a game we win with just average play.........

week 10 of 2008 Ben vs the Giants was just 13-29 for 189 yards ... it wasnt the poor completion percentage that lost that game for the Steelers 21-14 , it was the 4 int's that broke the camels back it was another game we would have won with just average QB play ........

week 16 2012 ... 14-28 things could be worse than 50% I guess and so it was 2 picks with the 2nd one coming with 24 seconds left in the game that allowed the Bengals a short drive for a game winning FG ... as bad as ben played is he doesnt toss a pick with 24 seconds left in the game we win this uglyfest

if all those are not bad enough how about this Gem .......

week 5 of 2017 .....20 incomplete passes in a 30-9 defeat that included 5 ints and 2 pick six's vs the Jags ............

its a good thing we didnt lose Faith in Ben after some of those games , but the point is even the great ones can lay an egg at times and thats just a few examples ... when you play vs other people getting paid to play too that usually means they are also pretty good at their jobs and sometimes they just have a better day at the office than you do

The Ravens game that keeps getting singled out by Mitch wasn't nearly as bad as some of the games I just posted of Ben's ( no Mitch will never be Ben great but he wasnt Ben bad either but it was bad vs a team that was getting paid to make him look bad its kinda their job )

Mitch was 22-30-276-1td 3ints .... yes that is bad but as bad as some posted above ? I think not .....

No Mich isnt as Good as Ben but some make it sound like it was the worst performance in Steelers history when the truth is he played an outstanding game minus the 3 throws can we say the same for Bens 13-29 for 189 yards and 4 picks or week 5 of 2017 .....20 incomplete passes in a 30-9 defeat that included 5 ints and 2 pick six's vs the Jags

if you are going to play this game you are going to lay a few eggs no matter who you are ..... do you see flashes of what can be is what makes it worth keeping a player around ...

Go look at box scores from any qb who has ever played the game and if you cant find any duds than you wont find many gems either its the nature of the beast

all that said the team decided who they were hitching their wagon to and that is Kenny , he will get the reps , he will have the team build around him and this team as I stated in another post is a fringe playoff team and any games without the guy the offense is supposedly tailored to fit are likely games lost with a qb without reps playing so what difference does it make what name is on the back of that players jersey so get cheap ones and pay someone else who will impact games week to week
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Good post Dwins.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Good post Dwins.
    thanks
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

thanks
    I agree with you on this too!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

see that is where expectation is flawed , I get it nobody wants to see a game where the qb turns the ball over 3 times and the team loses a very winnable game, we are used to seeing Ben in his heyday toss 5 TDs and its glorious to recall I get it ...

what those glorious moments do for us is help over shadow the fact that week 8 in 2006 Big Ben tosses not 1 but 2 pick six's in a 20-13 loss to the Raiders ( a game we win with just average play.........

week 10 of 2008 Ben vs the Giants was just 13-29 for 189 yards ... it wasnt the poor completion percentage that lost that game for the Steelers 21-14 , it was the 4 int's that broke the camels back it was another game we would have won with just average QB play ........

week 16 2012 ... 14-28 things could be worse than 50% I guess and so it was 2 picks with the 2nd one coming with 24 seconds left in the game that allowed the Bengals a short drive for a game winning FG ... as bad as ben played is he doesnt toss a pick with 24 seconds left in the game we win this uglyfest

if all those are not bad enough how about this Gem .......

week 5 of 2017 .....20 incomplete passes in a 30-9 defeat that included 5 ints and 2 pick six's vs the Jags ............

its a good thing we didnt lose Faith in Ben after some of those games , but the point is even the great ones can lay an egg at times and thats just a few examples ... when you play vs other people getting paid to play too that usually means they are also pretty good at their jobs and sometimes they just have a better day at the office than you do

The Ravens game that keeps getting singled out by Mitch wasn't nearly as bad as some of the games I just posted of Ben's ( no Mitch will never be Ben great but he wasnt Ben bad either but it was bad vs a team that was getting paid to make him look bad its kinda their job )

Mitch was 22-30-276-1td 3ints .... yes that is bad but as bad as some posted above ? I think not .....

No Mich isnt as Good as Ben but some make it sound like it was the worst performance in Steelers history when the truth is he played an outstanding game minus the 3 throws can we say the same for Bens 13-29 for 189 yards and 4 picks or week 5 of 2017 .....20 incomplete passes in a 30-9 defeat that included 5 ints and 2 pick six's vs the Jags

if you are going to play this game you are going to lay a few eggs no matter who you are ..... do you see flashes of what can be is what makes it worth keeping a player around ...

Go look at box scores from any qb who has ever played the game and if you cant find any duds than you wont find many gems either its the nature of the beast

all that said the team decided who they were hitching their wagon to and that is Kenny , he will get the reps , he will have the team build around him and this team as I stated in another post is a fringe playoff team and any games without the guy the offense is supposedly tailored to fit are likely games lost with a qb without reps playing so what difference does it make what name is on the back of that players jersey so get cheap ones and pay someone else who will impact games week to week
    Your point is made. The difference here is you can find exceptions to how great Ben was because there is such a huge sample size. Ben was great, he is also human and fallible. However many games Ben was bad doesn’t make another QB better. How many games did Mason or Mitch play in for the Steelers? How many times were they great? How many times were they bad? There are levels and context to every part of this conversation.

If we enter 2023 with KP, Mitch, and Mason, I will be disappointed because that sucked for us last year. Disappointed, but not going to lose a minute of sleep over it nor blow a gasket in anger. In the big NFL picture, a team playing with the backup QB is at a disadvantage 99% of the time already. That doesn’t make our situation any better or worse. It’s that it has not changed at all. Trying is at least something.

Mason Rudolph thread. How many snaps did Mason take last season? How many times was he even part of the sidelines during a gameday? THAT answer is a very important part of this to me. Zero

Senior Member Array title="FordFairLane is a jewel in the rough">

I read this move might have something to do with the teams long term plans for Highsmith. Sounds like they feel Rudolph is a cheaper option at backup than Trubisky but it doesn't do the team any good by cutting Mitch now. Same savings if they cut/trade him in August. So they let everyone play it out and if they get a deal done with Highsmith they cut/trade Mitch to get the cap in order. Then Rudolph goes to #2 and Tanner or whoever gets the #3 or PS spot. Makes sense.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Mason Rudolph tells it all about his complicated relationship with Ben Roethlisberger.

"There is no bad blood. We weren’t close, but would you expect a 37 or 38-year-old to be best friends with a 23-year-old?”

https://steelersnow.com/mason-rudolp...s-quarterback/

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Can we just NOT have either of them back? Just sign another backup period, they both stink.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Mason Rudolph tells it all about his complicated relationship with Ben Roethlisberger.

"There is no bad blood. We weren’t close, but would you expect a 37 or 38-year-old to be best friends with a 23-year-old?”

https://steelersnow.com/mason-rudolp...s-quarterback/
    Does this mean he will go on Bens podcast?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Can we just NOT have either of them back? Just sign another backup period, they both stink.
    So does anything else out there. Most back up QBs do stink…lol

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Lol. I think that’s the best case for us all.
    Well Trubisky playing in the 4th quarter of the Superbowl to close out our 55-3 win over the 49ers would slightly be better...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Well Trubisky playing in the 4th quarter of the Superbowl to close out our 55-3 win over the 49ers would slightly be better...

If you're going to dream you may as well dream big!

Meh…probably 33-3 is more realistic!!

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Having two possible star QBs sounds nice … but it sounds also like a QB controversy nightmare every week. At something these “stars” will not play well and there will be calls to go to the other guy and then that guy will not play well at some point and then calls to go back to the first guy. Not only the fans and press but players on the team will find themselves choosing sides.

l’ve seen this many times living in chicago and it’s a nightmare.

it’s much better to have one star QB that a team will stick with through good and bad. The players will appreciate this rather than doubt and false hope being talked about every week.

Mitch is a good QB for this role and the Steelers are better for it